Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/conor/cokane.com/shmupdevarchive/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Session 1 anouncement
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 1
|-+ Session 1 anouncement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read May 19, 2008, 06:26:09 PM #0
motorherp

Session 1 anouncement

Ok lets get the ball rolling on this and see if it takes off.  Since this is the first session I'll create the theme this time around.  If you're unsure what this is all about please read the 'Rules' sticky in the 'Rules and General Discussion' board.

Start Date: 19th May 2008
End Date: 2nd June 2008   (note this session might be granted an extension depending of how long it takes people to notice this and get on board considering this is the first session)

Rules / Concept: Create a shmup with meaningful gameplay in which the player is not allowed to fire their own projectiles.

Hopefully that makes sense to you all.  Try to be as creative as you can in developing meaningful game play and scoring systems based around utilising the environment and enemies in new ways.  An existing example of this would be 'Shoot The Bullet' by Shanghai Alice.  If you have any questions please post them here.

Good luck.

Read May 19, 2008, 07:29:04 PM #1
berilium

Re: Session 1 anouncement

Wow! A great concept! Do we've got a time deadline? GMT?
Read May 19, 2008, 07:35:46 PM #2
motorherp

Wow! A great concept! Do we've got a time deadline? GMT?

We're all in seperate time zones so I dont think I'll impose a time to the deadline, I'm not going to be too strict about this I dont think.  Instead I'll post a 'session finished' announcement sometime on the tuesday the 3rd when I log in.

Read May 19, 2008, 08:36:45 PM #3
mice

Say what?
A shoot'em up without the shooting? That'd be an "em up", then? Or a "mup"?

Seriously, did I understand it correctly?
Read May 19, 2008, 08:38:08 PM #4
Pixel_Outlaw

They are more dodging sims and there are a few of them. They can be quite fun too.

There is plenty of room here.

You can reflect shots or use some sort of batting system to hit them back. You would still be shooting but not with your own shots.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 08:39:45 PM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read May 19, 2008, 08:48:53 PM #5
Sar

(Another example that comes to mind is Triggerheart; sure, you can shoot in that game, but you're plainly not supposed to most of the time. ;-)

It's an interesting theme, though. Now I have to decide between this and my barely-started poetry-eating TIGSource PGC entry...!
Read May 21, 2008, 12:17:27 AM #6
serprex

Wonderful, I've always liked the concept of no shooting. Now to do a game without shooting in a couple weeks instead of a few monthes

So what would shooting be defined as, though? Would having an anchor or crashing system be shooting? Would using the ship exhaust be shooting? Would it be prefered if not even enemies shot?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 01:39:15 AM by serprex »

Read May 21, 2008, 03:20:43 AM #7
Pixel_Outlaw

Sadly, I'm going to be on vacation in the mountains during this compo. Good luck to everyone!

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read May 21, 2008, 07:41:19 AM #8
motorherp

So what would shooting be defined as, though? Would having an anchor or crashing system be shooting? Would using the ship exhaust be shooting? Would it be prefered if not even enemies shot?

I guess shooting a projectile would be defined as propelling an object seperate from your ship which is spawned from your ship.  I'm not going to be too strict though, the idea of the theme is simply to supply focus and inspiritation.  Just remember that the point of these sessions is to explore new ideas, not to create generic shmups which fit the themes.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:43:41 AM by motorherp »

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 18 queries.