Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 1
|-+ mice's Entry: MUP (DONE)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read May 19, 2008, 08:47:35 PM #0
mice

mice's Entry: MUP (DONE)

This will suit my, non existent, spare time perfectly.

My thoughts:
- No scrolling
- Java, with simple primitives
- Physics, just found a free physics engine I can play with.
- More of a puzzler.

A "pemup" maybe?

So now, where's my ide-shortcut at?

EDIT_1: (20/5)

Yay, I'm actually got something working! Mmmm, awt graphics...
- Blue ball = me
- Red squares = moveables
- Yellow ball = evil cannon
- Orange balls = evil bullets
- Rest = walls

EDIT_2: (21/5)

I think I'll incorporate a dash-attack, is that ok?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:35:34 AM by mice »

Read May 19, 2008, 08:50:40 PM #1
the2bears

Re: mice's Entry: MUP

Cool, nice to see you entering.  I've been playing with Box2D's Java port myself, just might have to incorporate physics too Smiley

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read May 19, 2008, 08:54:22 PM #2
mice

Cool! Is it any good? Like performance-wise? Useable for this sort of thing?
Or am I just going to have, like, 5 objects on screen?

Read May 21, 2008, 07:45:04 PM #3
mice

Got the first puzzle up for you...sad it's crap.
Mission 1: Destroy all yellow balls!

I KNOW this is a cool idea, too bad my inspiration got out of the window with the awt graphics.
So I might throw in some 'real' gfx after all.

The enemy bullets follow the same laws of physics as the rest of the objects, which is a massive hit to the frame rate. Will loose that asap.

EDIT:
Oh, the gray line is a rope connecting two bodies...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 07:46:43 PM by mice »

Read May 21, 2008, 07:53:56 PM #4
motorherp

Very cool concept, I'm likeing it a lot already.  And yup I see no problem with using a dash attack.

Read May 21, 2008, 09:51:36 PM #5
the2bears

Cool! Is it any good? Like performance-wise? Useable for this sort of thing?
Or am I just going to have, like, 5 objects on screen?

Seems very good performance-wise, though I haven't run a "bullet hell" test yet Smiley  I'll let you know as soon as I do!

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read May 22, 2008, 07:35:32 AM #6
hima

Wow, this is very interesting. Solving puzzle and dodging bullets at the same time isn't something we can see everyday Smiley 

Upon seeing the second screenshot, I wonder is this like platformer + puzzle + shmup?
Read May 22, 2008, 05:21:05 PM #7
mice

Quote from: hima
Upon seeing the second screenshot, I wonder is this like platformer + puzzle + shmup?
Now when I look at it, it's not obvious, but it's a 'standard-horizontal-spaceship-shmup'.
So the blue ball is a spaceship, I'm trying to convince myself. Got a hard time to imagine it though...
And there is gravitational effects on the objects, you, the enemies and the enemy-bullets excluded.

Quote from: the2bears
Seems very good performance-wise, though I haven't run a "bullet hell" test yet. I'll let you know as soon as I do!
Please do! I'd be interested in hearing your evaluation.

Quote from: motorherp
And yup I see no problem with using a dash attack.
Cool! But with 'attack' I didn't really mean 'attack'. It's not like you can ram the enemies, it's just for getting extra force when knocking down/running over the other objects.

Will try to create a FUN level tonight. The one above is not even close to fun.
Read May 25, 2008, 10:33:06 PM #8
Edge

This looks really interesting and fresh, can't wait to try this one out.  Smiley
Read June 01, 2008, 06:34:59 AM #9
mice

Too bad it sux.
Attached is the compo version.

A bit buggy, seeing that the phys-engine is probably a bit overkill for this project.

Going to redo this into a game that allows you to fire, might actually be fun.

Objects:
Blue Ball - You
Gray Things - Harmless Walls
Red Things - Moveable objects/Harmless
Yellow Balls - Your Enemies

Controls:
Arrow keys - move your 'ship'
'Z' - 'Dash Attack'

Objective:
Destroy the Yellow Bullet Spewing Balls.
Use the scenery to make this happen.

Read June 02, 2008, 08:54:53 PM #10
Areinu

Re: mice's Entry: MUP (DONE)

Ah! What do I do in stage 2? I'm too stupid for this! <- joke(I hope)

I like the idea, but I wouldn't make it into stand-alone game. But using some of the gravity elements/scenery elements during some boss fight could spice things up a lot! Imagine a boss charge attack that takes few seconds to charge, and you can't dodge it! Except... if you quickly move some obstacles on the way and hide behind them! Cheesy Or having to fly close to said boss, so you're really close tho the bullets, to move a platform/bridge down so the weak point of the boss is exposed! But the said bridge is on chains or whatever and slowly closes, so you can't hit the boss anymore unless you repeat the process(just would have not too be to irritating Tongue). There's many more ways I can think of to spice boss battles with that I got from mechanics in your prototype Smiley I guess that's what the sessions were created for Smiley
Read June 03, 2008, 02:14:04 AM #11
kdmiller3

That's really clever.  Smiley

I got stymied by the third level, but it's pretty nifty over all.  It'd be a lot easier if you had more than one life, or could restart on the same level you died...
Read June 04, 2008, 02:10:23 AM #12
hima

I really like the concept. Make me want to make a game using this idea...hehe tongue2
What kill this is having one life and restarting from level 1 once you died.  The puzzle in some levels seems a bit random too. Like in level 2 the block hit one of the enemies automatically everytime. And in the level that there's a lever with blocks and balls, it's kinda difficult to adjust and shoot them to hit the enemies. Well, I think now it has to do more with level and puzzle design.

Still, a very nice concept of combining shmup and puzzle genre together. I'd love to see you working more on this and turn it into a full game Smiley
Read June 04, 2008, 01:30:21 PM #13
Edge

Nice concept and very creative.  Smiley

But, I have to agree with hima. The puzzle design could be improved. It is pretty difficult to foresee what I have to do to effectively finish a level. Also another downside is, if I mess up anything (like making a block drop on a false side) it becomes very diffcult to finish the level. Even if it would otherwise be pretty easy. Giving the player always multiple ways of solving a puzzle, avoids these frustrating situations, as he has at least one alternative if one plan didn't work. I liked the third stage for example, since there are a lot of objects which I was able to experiment with. Also it might be better if the player is in safety at his starting point, so he can think of a strategy, what he is going to try. (Stage 4 was too hectic for me)

Still I think if you work on the puzzles this might become a pretty nice game and esspecially a pretty creative and refreshing one. I would like to play another version, if you make one. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 01:32:08 PM by Edge »
Read June 04, 2008, 06:03:51 PM #14
kdmiller3

Something that might help with "stuck" situations is an option to restart the level.
Read June 04, 2008, 06:43:43 PM #15
mice

I agree with all of you on every point.
With a decent level designer, this could be fun.

And insert some regular shmup mayhem and you could do some really cool puzzles, for the bosses for example, as stated.
Read June 04, 2008, 10:30:04 PM #16
serprex

Liked the hybrid, would of kept playing if dying didn't restart the game. The levels inherited the lack of replay puzzles have
Read June 05, 2008, 01:56:28 PM #17
Edge

Something that might help with "stuck" situations is an option to restart the level.

I agree. Or maybe if the player moves to the starting place or smashes against a certain button on the playfield all the red objects get to their initial postition. To keep the tension of a shmup. A restart level button and unlimited tries might maybe become to much like a puzzler...
Include lifes, and a time limit each stage and then this game would still be pretty arcade-like / shmup-like.

But of course it is more a question of what kind of game you would prefer to build out of this concept. I would like seeing it more in the direction arcade, but it I think it is just as possible to do it like the traditional puzzle game.  Wink
Read June 05, 2008, 03:48:55 PM #18
hima

Just have to say that this game would be really awesome if you make the level editor  lipsrsealed2
Read June 05, 2008, 04:20:02 PM #19
mice

Just add "editormode" as an argument...  angel

Not a good one, but it helped a lot.
Read July 07, 2008, 11:10:08 PM #20
hima

Congratulations mice! Hope you finish this game Smiley (Or else, I'll steal your idea! muhahaha)
Read July 08, 2008, 06:08:53 AM #21
mice

Aah thankyouverymuch!
Thanks for putting up a fight.  Kiss

The game 'idea' is up for grabs!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.