Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 2
|-+ Session 2 Anouncement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read June 30, 2008, 04:25:26 PM #0
motorherp

Session 2 Anouncement

How do folks.  Lets think about getting session 2 underway.  As champion of the first session mice gets the honour of choosing the theme this time around.  Please go ahead and pm me or post here when you've come up with something and I'll edit this top post.  The start-end dates will be decided when a theme is in place.  Watch this space.

Edit: (Probably better if you pm me otherwise I guess the start date is a bit meaningless)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rightio, the theme has been chosen.  Let battle commence:

Start Date : 7/7/2008
End Date : 21/7/2008
Theme : Laser Mayhem: Enemies only fires lasers (beam going from enemy to end-of-screen/wall), no ordinary bullets.

Good luck folks.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 10:29:17 AM by motorherp »

Read July 02, 2008, 11:18:23 AM #1
mice

Re: Session 2 Anouncement

Aaargh, this is hard.
I'm going to give me a couple of more hours. If I haven't come up with a killer idea after that I'll have to pass it on.
Ok?
Read July 02, 2008, 01:08:27 PM #2
serprex

You could base it on your name and make it mouse controlled
Read July 02, 2008, 04:14:49 PM #3
motorherp

Aaargh, this is hard.
I'm going to give me a couple of more hours. If I haven't come up with a killer idea after that I'll have to pass it on.
Ok?

No worries.  I dont think there's a huge demand to start straight away, probably better to get a nice theme than rush it.

Read July 03, 2008, 01:03:24 PM #4
motorherp

Rightio, mice has made some suggestions to me in a pm.  I'll be announcing the theme this coming monday which is when the next session will start so get ready folks.

Read July 07, 2008, 12:09:52 AM #5
Areinu

This time I might as well try and create something :3
Read July 07, 2008, 12:34:07 AM #6
kdmiller3

This time I'll try to create an entirely new level instead of being lame and reusing one I had already made.  Grin
Read July 07, 2008, 08:38:54 AM #7
mice

But I won't be able to participate this time.  Sad

We've just moved and my travel time to/from work has been extended with quite a lot.
Plus we're in the middle of unpacking.
Read July 07, 2008, 10:31:36 AM #8
motorherp

Ok the theme has now been announced along with the session dates, see the original post for the details.

But I won't be able to participate this time.  Sad

That's a shame.  Looks like I wont be entering this one also.  We've gone into crunch mode at work again which means long hours and not much free time. 

Read July 07, 2008, 10:55:38 AM #9
jaj

Nice theme, though I think it will make for a lot of prototypes that are all pretty much all the same, since it does force you in one direction...

I will enter anyway
Read July 07, 2008, 08:39:08 PM #10
Areinu

Well, as long as we keep in mind to keep it original... Tongue It can produce some nice results Cheesy
Read July 07, 2008, 11:11:49 PM #11
hima

I found this theme funny because there's a topic about laser shot made not too long before this. Sounds like it's going to be a challenge to make a game original this time Smiley
Read July 08, 2008, 11:43:29 AM #12
Sar

I'm really tempted to give this one a go, myself, especially after having worked laser support into my engine a while ago and then not used it at all on either of the projects I've used the engine for... and as a bonus, it's started tipping it down with rain, giving me lunchtimes at work free... ;-)
Read July 08, 2008, 02:14:37 PM #13
serprex

What about reflection and refraction and all?
Read July 08, 2008, 03:07:49 PM #14
the2bears

What about reflection and refraction and all?

I would say if you've got an idea just go for it.  These sessions are pretty informal, and as such I'd rather see more games than not.  What matters is that the theme inspires *you* somehow Smiley

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read July 14, 2008, 08:11:06 PM #15
berilium

Wow! Session 2!! Unfortunately I have loads of work to do (and I mean it) so I won't be entering  Undecided

Good luck to all participants and looking forward to give my vote  Smiley
Read July 22, 2008, 11:05:45 AM #16
motorherp

Wow that crept up on me, session 2 is done already.  Cheers for taking part all, I'll be playing your games tonight hopefully when I get out of work.  I'll set up the voting thread too as soon as my masters stop cracking their whips for the night ;p.

Read July 22, 2008, 12:33:04 PM #17
Sar

I'm really tempted to give this one a go, myself

...and then I suddenly got busy a short while after making this post. :/

For the sake of posterity, since I'm not likely to be able to make it myself any time soon - my plan was to do a bullet-hell type straight-up shooter with lots of sweeping lasers, where after a while the patterns start to leave you totally trapped; that is, two lasers close with you between them, or sweep off the edge of the screen. The gimmick being that the player ship would be given a laser-proof teleportation device similar in function to Unreal Tournament's translocator (if that's what it was called; it's been a while). So for example, when a laser swept from one side of the screen to the other, the player could drop the teleport locator, move out the way of the laser, wait for the laser to sweep over the locator then hit the teleport button to skip to the location of the locator before the laser swept right off the side of the screen.

Still, I'm looking forward to getting a chance to try these games! ;-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 19 queries.