Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 3
|-+ Session 3 Announcement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read August 04, 2008, 09:44:49 PM #0
the2bears

Session 3 Announcement

Ok, I can't modify any posts at the moment... some sort of authentication errorkdmiller3 has picked the theme for this session, and I'll post it here on the evening of Sunday, Aug. 10th PST.  That way it's pretty much a Monday morning start for GMT as in the past.

Start Date : 11/8/2008
End Date : 25/8/2008

Theme : Chain Reaction, with enemy explosions damaging or destroying other enemies (like Missile Command or Every Extend).

I'm sincerely hoping for more participation this round.  A short-term, rapid prototype like this is quite honestly the best way to improve and the best way to unearth good game ideas.  No one should worry that they can't complete a "finished product".  You can't, but that's not the point.  The idea is to experiment, and get a single idea or two expressed in some sort of interactive way.  It's summer, and we're all busy, but it's fun and might produce the next Crayon Physics!  I think the theme's a good one, too.

Bill
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:48:21 AM by the2bears »

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read August 05, 2008, 02:35:33 AM #1
kdmiller3

Re: Session 3 Announcement

So how should I go about delivering the theme?  I assume this starts next week, right?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:38:47 AM by kdmiller3 »
Read August 11, 2008, 04:28:38 AM #2
the2bears

A little "bump" to show that I'm adding the theme, though once again I am unable to modify the original post.  Last time I was able to modify it after posting again on the topic... must be some odd login thing.

Alright, that worked again as well.  The theme for this session was chosen by kdmiller3 and it's a very good one.  Let's get thinking about ideas on how to show "Chain Reaction" as a game mechanic.  You've got 2 weeks, give or take a day Wink

Bill
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:33:49 AM by the2bears »

Read August 12, 2008, 01:25:11 AM #3
hima

Interesting theme. I might participate if I have time. Internship is killing me Cry
Read August 12, 2008, 04:26:46 AM #4
5parrowhawk

I'll look into giving it a shot, but my time might be limited. -_-; Can't guarantee anything yet.
Read August 12, 2008, 04:53:02 AM #5
zebraairforce

Wow, I've already been working on a game with chain reactions. What are the rules about pre made code and art?
Read August 12, 2008, 05:22:49 AM #6
the2bears

Wow, I've already been working on a game with chain reactions. What are the rules about pre made code and art?

These sessions are pretty informal.  Their purpose is to promote the exchange of ideas, fun, and create some new games to play around with.  Ideally you'd want to try out a new implementation of something, as that's how people will be viewing the work and the basis for their feedback. 

It's difficult to draw lines between existing libraries (I've got tons of old code I draw from) and a game that's been already started.  I think everyone would agree if you've been working on this "for a few months" that might be too much.  In the least be upfront about what was created going into the start of the session (game specific, I'm not so concerned with library type code).  This way voters can decide for themselves if you had an unfair head start Wink  Remember, the purpose is not to show off a polished game, but to test out ideas you find interesting.

Bill

Read August 23, 2008, 04:42:46 AM #7
the2bears

It's crunch time, so to speak Wink

Bill

Read August 23, 2008, 07:01:53 AM #8
maw

Oh yes... and there's still so much to do. I wonder if I'll finish the game on time.

Besides that, I'm really curious about the games that will be submitted at the end of the session. It's the first time I joined in such a compo and I find it quite exciting!

Allright, back to work!

MAW

EDIT: About timezones... When exactly will you close the competition? monday/tuesday, 00:00, CST?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 10:37:56 PM by maw »
Read August 24, 2008, 02:38:29 PM #9
maw

About timezones... When exactly will you close the competition? monday/tuesday, 00:00, CST? The crunch, the crunch... Wink
Read August 24, 2008, 04:13:01 PM #10
the2bears

About timezones... When exactly will you close the competition? monday/tuesday, 00:00, CST? The crunch, the crunch... Wink

I'll be closing things Monday evening, PST.  What does that mean?  Well, it's safe to say late PST evening, after my son's gone to bed, so certainly after 9pm Smiley 

Bill

Read August 24, 2008, 04:29:01 PM #11
TMR

i wish i could remember how to translate those times into GMT... =-)

Read August 24, 2008, 07:02:29 PM #12
kdmiller3

Pacific time is (currently) GMT-08:00, so just add eight hours.
Read August 24, 2008, 07:22:36 PM #13
TMR

Pacific time is (currently) GMT-08:00, so just add eight hours.

That'd still be more thinking than i currently have the capacity for... aww stuff it, i'll release the thing now! =-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 19 queries.