Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 4
|-+ MAW's entry (DONE)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read September 10, 2008, 06:24:31 PM #0
maw

MAW's entry (DONE)

OK so I finally have an interesting idea for this session, but it may be a bit „borderline“... It’s a bit inspired by „Spore“. I hope I can describe it properly, I had to look up some words Wink

---Die Fütterung („The Feeding“)---

The game starts in some kind of petri dish or pool of promordial soup. Lots of litte creatures swim around, just like tadpoles. The player can shoot those animals. When they die, the other ones eat their remains and eventually grow bigger and develop their tiny forms. As the animals grow they get more powerful and aggressive (they may alter their behaviour in other ways as well). Animals wich eat the remains of larger creatures will develop more quickly. The aim is to give the player the possibility (and motivation) to „breed“ the largest enemy possible wich would then be the „boss“ of the game and a real threat. Your score depends on the evolutionary state of the animal you killed.

I thought about doing the whole graphics procedurally, with only circles, lines and such, but I will stick to images for the sake of saving processing power when drawing a lot of complex shapes. Thus the game will look quite similar to the graphics of „flOw“...

So as you see, the player uses his „foes“ in a quite abstract way, but I hope that is OK.

MAW
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 01:40:52 PM by maw »
Read September 10, 2008, 06:28:51 PM #1
the2bears

Re: MAW's entry

So as you see, the player uses his „foes“ in a quite abstract way, but I hope that is OK.

Should be since it's your theme Wink

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read September 12, 2008, 02:52:35 AM #2
kdmiller3

I definitely want to see what you've got in store for us.  Grin
Read September 12, 2008, 08:43:25 PM #3
Pixel_Outlaw

Gotta have some procedural content! Wink

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read September 15, 2008, 07:56:47 PM #4
maw

Oh well, so here's some tiny update. I haven't done much yet. I know it's a bit personal, but some lovesickness is seriously slowing me down.  Undecided

Whatever, here are three screens from "Die Fütterung". All I have right now are these white little objects (enemies), the remains of dead enemies (yellow) and the blue player object. If the shot button is pressed, the player automatically fires at the nearest enemy. Enemies move along a random path until they find some food in their sight, then they head right towards it and eat it.
Consider all the graphics to be placeholders.

So, a lot to do until next monday... After all, even if these little objects are really primitive robots they already create some illusion of "life". Sometimes I run the program just to watch these tiny "creatures" moving, hunting and growing.  Smiley
Read September 15, 2008, 08:16:48 PM #5
kdmiller3

Very promising so far.  Have you seen any of Karl Sims work on virtual creatures?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 08:26:04 PM by kdmiller3 »
Read September 21, 2008, 07:59:18 AM #6
maw

So... I didn't work on this for one week. But it's bugging me and I don't want to drop out of the session. So from now on I will try my best to get something worth playing out of my concept. Lets see what can be done until monday evening...  Grin
Read September 21, 2008, 08:03:41 AM #7
hima

I think it's okay if you turn in the final game a little late though. And don't drop it! I really like the idea of killing what you're breeding...I mean, it sounds very ironic haha. Would be interesting to see how the game turns out Smiley
Read September 22, 2008, 09:03:33 AM #8
maw

Signs of life here...

The "enemies" now have four states: idle / search food / attack player / help others who are already attacking the player
Especially the last state could lead to some interesting but difficult situations where a whole swarm attacks the player...  Grin

I'm implementing some bullet patterns right now, it really seems possible to make it playable (and enjoyable).

So maybe I have to submit my game a bit late (tuesday morning), is that OK?
Read September 22, 2008, 01:55:09 PM #9
the2bears

So maybe I have to submit my game a bit late (tuesday morning), is that OK?

What time zone? Smiley  I won't be submitting anything until this evening, PST, but regarding your entry I'm rather lenient as this is all very informal.  I'd rather wait a day and have another entry to discuss. 

Though, regarding future sessions (talking in general here, not to you) I don't want the deadline to creep any further Smiley

Bill

Read September 22, 2008, 04:43:49 PM #10
maw

What time zone? Smiley  I won't be submitting anything until this evening, PST, but regarding your entry I'm rather lenient as this is all very informal.  I'd rather wait a day and have another entry to discuss. 

Tuesday morning, PST, if that's OK? Then I could work on this until tuesday evening GMT and try to make it more playable and add a few more details. If everyone else is fine with that...

Sorry for the delay, due to personal reasons I only worked for three days on this.

Thanks,

MAW
Read September 23, 2008, 01:38:58 PM #11
maw

So finally, I made something you could describe as a game... designwise I think it has some issues, but whatever. The breeding is a bit limited since you can only modify size and aggression of your "boss"-enemy, but it's always the same type with some different parameters. Also it may fit the theme (wich was my idea, ironically) not very well. Anyways, I still think that this is an interesting experiment, especially when enemies grow big and mean.

So here it is, DIE FÜTTERUNG.

EDIT: I uploaded a slightly changed version just ten minutes after the first one, but it was downloaded two times already. Maybe you two people want to download it again because the readme.txt now describes two minor, but annoying bugs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:24:27 PM by maw »
Read September 23, 2008, 02:14:29 PM #12
hima

Re: MAW's entry (DONE)

This is very fun! I really like seeing all those creatures keep on growing. I just let one red guy alive and eat all those remains without me getting one to replenish my energy, and my God was it huge! The result was worth it though Cheesy I've attached the screenshot of my score with this post. At first I was gonna take a screenshot of the big guy but it was so tense and I didn't know how to pause the game haha.

All in all, great game and very innovative as well. My only complaint is the semi-auto shot. I don't quite like the idea because it seems like I don't have full control of whom I want to shoot at Sad  But I guess this is so that you can focus more on dodging?
Read September 23, 2008, 02:38:43 PM #13
maw

...you're quick!  Wink

Thank you for the comments. Glad you like it!

You're right, I implemented the auto-targeting so the player can concentrate more on dodging, because some enemies get really nasty and it would be a bit too difficult to evade and aim. But I agree with you that it would be better if the player had more control. I just didn't find a solution for this problem in time.

By the way, your display says "Energy 51", wich means that you played an old version. I uploaded the "final" one for this session two minutes ago (this was the last time, I promise). I got rid of a nasty bug plus I limited the player's energy to 10, even if he collects more energy.

Thanks for playing!

MAW
Read September 23, 2008, 03:25:01 PM #14
hima

Yeah the energy I collected was after I finished the stage. I finished the game again, this time my strategy is to have many big creatures before killing them and create another big creatures. The result satisfied me, muhahaha

I guess the problem could be solve by moving with WASD and aim the shot with mouse. I have no problem playing like that in Geometry War so I doubt there'll be a problem using that control scheme with this game Smiley

I wish there could be more levels and more type of enemies though. Cry

Oh, and in the new version, I kept holding X during fighting with the last creature and after I beat him it goes to the title screen right away...does this happen to other people?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:30:20 PM by hima »
Read September 23, 2008, 04:26:38 PM #15
maw

I guess the problem could be solve by moving with WASD and aim the shot with mouse. I have no problem playing like that in Geometry War so I doubt there'll be a problem using that control scheme with this game Smiley

I totally suck at Geometry Wars (and almost every other twin-stick-shooter), so I wanted to try a different system. But I'll implement the WASD+Mouse tomorrow and see how it works. Still, the session entry will stay like it is, I already had some delay Wink

For the bug that you experienced, it sounds like you played the second version. In the final version I solved the problem (just checked it a few times once again). Maybe you should download again. I am sorry for the inconvenience!
Read September 24, 2008, 02:49:20 AM #16
Pixel_Outlaw

As you said there are a few bugs but I can totally see great potential with this. I like the concepts of emergent behavior and dynamic design. Well done!

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read September 24, 2008, 11:13:51 PM #17
the2bears

The game's not running properly for me (I think...)

I sometimes get a screen with a few enemies, and I can target/shoot at them, but often (more than not) I get nothing.  I see little flashes sometimes, but no enemies.  If I shoot, the shot stays in one place.  I occasionally see green shots come from "nowhere".

I'll try it out on my other machine tonight.  Weird, your last game ran fine.  Vista machine, Core2 Duo, Mobile ATI graphics card etc.

Bill

Read September 24, 2008, 11:27:17 PM #18
maw

The game's not running properly for me (I think...)

I sometimes get a screen with a few enemies, and I can target/shoot at them, but often (more than not) I get nothing.  I see little flashes sometimes, but no enemies.  If I shoot, the shot stays in one place.  I occasionally see green shots come from "nowhere".

Yes, I know of this bug but I cant figure out what causes it. Its a bit strange because there isnt any complex code, its just an "if space is pressed, start the game" statement. PRESSING the space bar instead of hitting or tapping should start the game properly (then you'll see 50 little enemies, moving slowly across the screen). Please give it another try. Tomorrow I will look at the code once again and see if I can fix it.

MAW
Read September 25, 2008, 03:58:56 AM #19
the2bears

That seems to have been what was happening, I tried it at home and it's working fine Smiley

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.