Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 6
|-+ Hima's Entry - Finished

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read November 08, 2008, 01:42:47 AM #0
hima

Hima's Entry - Finished

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/E3T6yRMf34k" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/E3T6yRMf34k</a>

The game is done. Check out the attachment!

CONTROL
Arrow keys        -  Movement
Z                 -  Shoot/Decision
X                 -  Bomb
A                 -  Adjust Bet
Shift             -  Hold for precise movement

------ Star Point System -------
- At the beginning of each boss pattern, you'll have a short amount of time to adjust your bet by pressing A. Your amount of current bet is shown on the right , next to the star icon.  The minimum bet is 1 and the maximum bet is the number of your lives.

- Beating that pattern without losing a life means you've won the bet. You'll collect star points with the same amount of star points you've bet earlier.

- Losing a life during the pattern mean you've lost the bet. You'll lose the star point equal to the amount you've bet and your bet will be reset to 1. Meaning every life lost after this during this pattern will keep on decreasing your star point by 1.

- Winning a bet without using any bomb will double the amount of star point you gain.

------ Other System -------

- Each boss has three patterns.

- The number of bombs will be reset to 2 after you've defeated a boss.

- Defeating a boss without losing any lives will resulting in another bonus bomb ( 3 bombs in total.)

------ Something That I should fix -------
- The number of bombs will NOT be reset after you've died. (Not a system....I just forgot ^ ^;Wink

-  Where's the pausing screen Cry

=================== ORIGINAL CONTENT ===================
Finally got done with the midterm! I was going to use the framework that I wrote in C++ but it turns out the framework is too slow for Bullet Hell shmup. It was good for general games but not when you have 1000 of objects flying around all at once Sad This is pretty discouraging though but I guess it isn't unusual to fail the first time. Gah I hate pointers Cry

So I'll be using Ruby, since it's pretty easy to write. I also have a system that I want to put it into test anyway, so I might use this as a prototype before I move this to C++ Cheesy (Yeah I'm not giving up on C++ Smiley )

So let's see what I can come up with. Probably something has to do with scifi so that I can turn this into a complete game and submit it to scifi game contest over at gamingw.net Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:34:19 AM by hima »
Read November 08, 2008, 04:52:21 AM #1
kdmiller3

Re: Hima's Entry

As an interpreted language, Ruby is generally much slower than C++.

While it's tricky to get started, a profiler like AMD CodeAnalyst can help you find the performance bottleneck that's causing that problem.  You shouldn't be having that kind of trouble with only 1000 objects.

Just so you know, the general-purpose memory allocation functions (malloc, free, new, delete) are fairly costly so you don't want to use them too much at runtime.  Memory pools (such as the ones in the Boost library) can definitely help there.
Read November 08, 2008, 08:50:55 AM #2
hima

Hey thanks a lot kdmiller3! One of the reason might be I'm still new to C++ but trying to bite off more than I can chew.

Still, I'll use Ruby for this session, though. I want to help the guys who develop Starruby,  a ruby 2d game library. They're still new so they need more games and examples. I hope I'm not trying to do to much with one prototype here lol

As for the game, I'm thinking about grouping bosses into a course or something. The game will be a grab and go kind of game, with each time you play you'll collect points to trade for new weapon/courses or difficulties.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 08:54:32 AM by hima »
Read November 09, 2008, 01:24:45 AM #3
kdmiller3

I used AMD CodeAnalyst on my own project and made some significant performance improvements, but had to add input recording and fixed time steps to get repeatable results.  Once you set up your game so that you can make it do the exact same thing over and over, you can use the profiler to measure how much of a difference your changes are making.  Even without that precise repeatablility, a profiler can still tell you what's taking up the most time in your game.
Read November 16, 2008, 01:24:07 PM #4
hima

This is what I have so far. Been busy with school again *sigh*  Anyway, I'll try to finish this as soon as possible. I really miss making a game, if you can't tell Tongue

Also, I probably don't have to have weapon database and all that jazz ready in time, so I guess it's time for plan b. And I'd better come up with this plan b real quick lol

EDIT: A boss added! Still lots left to do though Sad
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:12:16 PM by hima »
Read November 16, 2008, 05:31:02 PM #5
kdmiller3

Looks nice Smiley
Read November 19, 2008, 07:18:00 PM #6
VectorVanDoom

hypnotising Cheesy
hope i can get to participate with something worthy, too
Read November 24, 2008, 11:36:20 AM #7
hima

Almost done! I got 4 bosses done already. Still, the game over and the game clear scene is pretty meh (It suddenly goes to the black screen once you beat the last boss X( )  If I have time, I'll do something about it though.

Anyway the here's the main game mechanic.
 - Before you start fighting any boss pattern. You have about 3 - 4 seconds to adjust your bet. Your bet cannot exceed your current lives

- Defeat the boss on that pattern mean you've won the bet and you'll collect star points with the same number of your bet.

- Losing a life during that pattern mean you've lost the bet. you'll lost your star points equal to your bet and your bet will be reset to 1.

- Star point is a multiplier for every score you gain.

The star points here is the key mechanic of the game. In order to fight to the final boss, your star points have to meet  the requirement in order to continue.

Read November 25, 2008, 04:17:46 AM #8
hima

I might turn in a little bit late, hope that's ok Cry  Just got done with the class and I need to add some final touches to the entry X(  (like, title screen and allow player to exit the game by pressing ESC lol)
Read November 25, 2008, 04:18:51 AM #9
the2bears

I won't close this until (my) tomorrow morning Wink

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read November 25, 2008, 08:29:07 AM #10
hima

Now this is sad. I don't know how to compile ruby file into .exe  (Cry
Read November 25, 2008, 09:57:26 AM #11
bugdoodle

This help?

http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/

bugdoodle
Read November 25, 2008, 01:35:47 PM #12
hima

yeah I tried that but it doesn't work though Sad  Doesn't really produce any .exe out of it.... Cry

Oh well...I finally manage to put everything into one .rb file anyway. You probably need this ruby installer to run it. Really sorry for the invoncenience guys Sad

> http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/29263/ruby186-26.exe

Nothing's here anymore! Now, go check out the first post Wink 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:35:21 PM by hima »
Read November 25, 2008, 03:14:35 PM #13
bugdoodle

Re: Hima's Entry - Finished<Kinda>

Hima do you have the file init.rb? I am attempting to create an exe for you... it throws up an error regarding init.rb and newlocation in multiple locations
Read November 25, 2008, 03:18:17 PM #14
bugdoodle

Just had another thought... can't you just setup a web page with your game running on it seeing as it's ruby?
Read November 25, 2008, 03:43:57 PM #15
hima

Finally I've managed to create an exe file using exerb. Though I still don't know how to add the resources into one archive file but I guess this is still better!

@bugdoodle
Sure. I will upload the sourcecode as well then Smiley  As for the webpage thing...I'd love to know how to do it, though I'm not sure if the library that I'm using can do that though (Gosu Library) Anyway, thank you for your offer!

EDIT : here I have attached the source code. Please take a look and see if you can convert everything in to one .exe file. Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:34:21 PM by hima »
Read November 25, 2008, 04:37:24 PM #16
hima

Re: Hima's Entry - Finished

Sorry that I have to double post here , but I've noticed that two people have downloaded the .rb version already. You can download the .exe version on the first post. It is better (since I've just noticed some last minute bug Sad ) and it comes with two .exe files , one for window and another for fullscreen. (The .rb one is fullscreen only)

So, sorry for any inconvenience and I hope you enjoy the game!
Read November 25, 2008, 04:43:25 PM #17
the2bears

Sorry that I have to double post here , but I've noticed that two people have downloaded the .rb version already. You can download the .exe version on the first post. It is better (since I've just noticed some last minute bug Sad ) and it comes with two .exe files , one for window and another for fullscreen. (The .rb one is fullscreen only)

So, sorry for any inconvenience and I hope you enjoy the game!

Probably my fault, I might have linked to the wrong one in the poll.  I've changed it to the link in the first post.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read November 28, 2008, 11:36:29 AM #18
VectorVanDoom

my hiscore is 369020 or sth like that Cheesy
minor flaw would be that it  takes sometime to notice where i can find how many stars i bet. it'd be better to have it in the middle of the screen like the first time u can decide. also the some parts of the screen seem to be cut out, because i couldnt read please choose your difficulty, but ease and difficul. anyone else noticed that?
the patterns look nice, but collisiondetection is a bit easy on the player.
anyway its great to see its done in ruby and thank you for providing the source code :-).

i will testing the rest another time...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:31:18 PM by VectorVanDoom »
Read November 29, 2008, 12:53:34 AM #19
hima

@VectorVanDoom
 I'm glad you enjoy the game! I totally agree with you about the star thing. I'll change that in the actual game Smiley As for the text being cut off, I think it's because of the font prboblem. I'll include the font that I use along with the game next time X(

As for the source code, watch out for the bad programming haha I was pretty rush so I'm sure they're a bit sloppy. I'll revise the whole game and after I finish the game I'll release the source code again Smiley
Read November 29, 2008, 01:06:11 AM #20
kdmiller3

It looks like Ruby worked well for you.  Grin

Ruby seems to be a nice programming language hamstrung by an unusually slow virtual machine.  (The YARV virtual machine corrects that, bringing its performance in line with Python.)
Read December 01, 2008, 06:36:55 AM #21
hima

@kdmiller3
I guess it's because I used to be RMXP user so I get used to ruby Smiley

I've heard that ruby 1.9 is pretty fast though, faster than python (or so they claim). I'll see if the game is faster and better once I switch to ruby 1.9. If it's faster then maybe I should make a ruby start up thread in the tutorial session XD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 19 queries.