Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 8
|-+ Session 8 Announcement

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read January 04, 2009, 03:41:46 PM #0
the2bears

Session 8 Announcement

Session 8 will start this coming Monday.  Worstplayer, last session's winner, will be providing the theme. 

Start Date : January 5th, 2009
End Date : January 19th, 2009

Theme : "Multidirectional shooting in an autoscrolling shooter" ie. ability to change shooting direction in a game that's not arena shmup. Like in Zero Gunner, Gunroar or Under Defeat.

I'd like to add that the excellent Demolition Gunner makes use of "yaw" similar to Under Defeat, as does my own The Iron Council.  I myself might try something in a helicopter game again.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:14:51 AM by the2bears »

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read January 05, 2009, 04:15:20 AM #1
the2bears

Re: Session 8 Announcement

Theme's up! 

Bill

Read January 06, 2009, 09:39:18 AM #2
VectorVanDoom

I'd like to add that the excellent Demolition Gunner makes use of "yaw" similar to Under Defeat, as does my own The Iron Council.  I myself might try something in a helicopter game again.
what is "yaw"Huh?
i might add that mogura 2 also uses multidiretional shooting as power-up system, very nice, but in that regard r-type comes into mind, too. do you meen it that way or is the controlled change of shot's direction intended?
Read January 06, 2009, 10:32:05 AM #3
Sar

what is "yaw"Huh?

One of the three axes of rotation. Generally speaking, if you imagine an aeroplane, pitch is the rotation it makes rotating around the wings, pointing the nose up or down; roll is the rotation it makes rotating around the fuselage, when one wing goes up and the other goes down; yaw is the remaining rotation, rotating around an axis perpendicular to the fuselage and the plane of the wings.

Wikipedia's article has a decent diagram.

(As it goes, I'm not going to be able to take part in this one, too many other things I'm busy with...)
Read January 06, 2009, 12:00:09 PM #4
UArchitect

i had an idea for this but not sure if ill have the time to contribute, but we shall see
Read January 06, 2009, 01:59:01 PM #5
the2bears

i might add that mogura 2 also uses multidiretional shooting as power-up system, very nice, but in that regard r-type comes into mind, too. do you meen it that way or is the controlled change of shot's direction intended?

Those certainly fit the theme as well as any in my opinion.  The themes should be interpreted as loosely as possible, to avoid unnecessary restrictions.  There's no disqualifications, the intent is that games not making good use of the theme will lose votes.

Bill

Read January 09, 2009, 10:14:12 PM #6
kdmiller3

Seems quiet in here...

I hope we get more than just three entries.
Read January 09, 2009, 10:46:59 PM #7
the2bears

<crickets>

Yeah, too quiet.  Wish we could get more people playing the games, even if they don't always have time to enter.

Bill

Read January 10, 2009, 01:59:12 AM #8
kdmiller3

My guess is that most forum members not participating in the session aren't aware of what's going on and may not even read the topic.  Maybe there's some way to advertise the voting process and encourage non-participants to vote?  Putting links in the vote entries was definitely a step in the right direction, though.
Read January 10, 2009, 03:29:56 AM #9
the2bears

I tried sending a news letter through the forum mechanism... failed, including multiple attempts.  I thought that would help for sure, as most probably don't check back that often.

Bill

Read January 10, 2009, 09:28:16 AM #10
bugdoodle

It just happened too soon after the festive break for me to enter. There's always that week of hangover that follows where you get back into your routine and that's the first week of the session gone.
Read January 10, 2009, 10:35:28 AM #11
Sar

For me, I'm having to cut back on the number of things I start doing that take up a lot of time, 'cause I've got a couple of long-term projects I've promised people help on that I've been falling behind with... so stuff like this gets cut, for me, I'm afraid. I should still be able to give entries a play and give some feedback at the end, though.
Read January 10, 2009, 05:48:50 PM #12
Areinu

Well, I won't code anything but I've ideas!

Idea 1!
A game in which you have bouncing bullets and have to use obstacles in order to hit weak spots of enemies. Getting behind opponents has to be considerably harder than strategically pushing bullets in some tunnels etc. as to encourage the approach.

Idea 2!
Similarly to the previous enemies have weaker and stronger points, that are easily marked for player. The game should encourage player to keep in the middle of the screen, between all enemies and shoot them at correct angle.

Idea 3!
Curtain shooter in which the only way to get alive out of thousands of bullets is making your way by destroying what comes at you from all directions! Obviously different bullets have different durability which forces some quick thinking. Should I destroy big single bullet going from the right? Or maybe try to get trough pea bullets on the left?

There, I might get more ideas with time, it's the least I can do in order to help in this round. I remember first rounds used to have nice brain storms, and now the silence is painful.
Read January 11, 2009, 09:08:21 PM #13
jakman4242

Hm, yeah. Sorry for not hanging around much and throwing my two cents in. After my last entry, I totally lost all of my developer's interest in shmups I had. Just couldn't get myself to make one.

I sort of decided to try myself at an FPS in GM and got hooked on that, but then I got some major slowdown from only displaying less than 10k polys on the screen. Which isn't very much at all, even for my laptop. Then I started learning Irrlicht 3D for C++, which I'm still doing. And, yeah. I have a very long-going project of mine that I've been slowly working on for the past year... That well, I'm still working on.

So, yup. That's that. My interest in shmups is starting to come back, so you might see another game from me soon.

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
Or read my new blog!~ (which I do update)
My blog.
Read January 11, 2009, 11:58:05 PM #14
Areinu

Ha, I understand you a bit. Whenever I create anything I can't get to another thing instantly. I'm putting all my passion into 1 project and when I'm finished I'm all burned up, hahah. That, and the fact that I want to try something different from time to time ~_~
Read January 12, 2009, 11:15:55 AM #15
genecyst

do you think a game which scroll in the bangai-o style should be suitable for this session or not?
thanks bye!
Read January 12, 2009, 12:38:53 PM #16
kdmiller3

I don't think it would be, since Bangai-O is free-roaming shooter while the theme asks for a forced-scrolling format.  The linked examples give an idea of what the theme is about.  I would add the classic arcade game Vanguard to the list as well (video here (arcade) and here (Atari 5200).

Ultimately it comes down to how well voters think you articulated the theme.  Smiley

Read January 12, 2009, 02:06:25 PM #17
genecyst

what a game vanguard... i had a clone of it on my c64 maybe... or msx... i don't remember...
understood anyway! bye
Read January 12, 2009, 02:41:29 PM #18
kdmiller3

Vanguard is just one example of a multi-directional shooting, but one of the first I thought of.  Grin
Read January 16, 2009, 01:47:20 AM #19
hima

Good to see that there are more entries showing up Cheesy Also, the theme is very interesting as well. Maybe we should have a thread that list all these themes and make it like a challenge list for shmup developer? Just my $0.02 Smiley
Read January 16, 2009, 07:46:13 AM #20
worstplayer

Oh well, I spent most of the time getting 3D engine to work, so no entry from me this time. Anyway, I can't wait to play other's games. If they're at least as good as ones from previous session, it's going to be a lot of fun.
Read January 19, 2009, 07:32:59 AM #21
Owen Butler

How long until this one ends?
Read January 19, 2009, 08:44:56 AM #22
bugdoodle

It's ususally until the end of today, but PST time. Bill's pretty good at extending for slightly late entries though :-)
Read January 19, 2009, 10:44:27 PM #23
Null1024

Man, I'm so glad I actually got something up and working. So glad.
Read January 19, 2009, 11:36:57 PM #24
the2bears

Man, I'm so glad I actually got something up and working. So glad.

I hear you Smiley I'm scrambling (as usual) to get something at least a little playable out the door  Shocked

Bill

Read January 19, 2009, 11:50:12 PM #25
berilium

*Oh my gosh* I didn't open an entry thread because I started the New Year very busy! But I was so keen to participate because is a theme I really like. However, I started on my entry just the last weekend and today Monday evening! Finished player and two enemies (art and code). But my mini engine isn't flawless and got to fix some bugs that got in my way! grrrr Just now fixing/adding code to make the scrolling work (got broken at some point).  Shocked

Anyway, just flogging a dead horse here, really. Good luck to everyone that made it in!!  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 19 queries.