+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 8
|-+ Owen Butler's entry [done]

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read January 12, 2009, 09:14:22 PM #0
Owen Butler

Owen Butler's entry [done]

Finished!

I'm happy with how this turned out.

Launched via webstart.  Click the screenshot to play.

WASD to move, mouse 1 to fire weapon.  Mouse to aim weapon.

I learnt a great deal from the process, restricting myself to a graphics palette worked well.  To me, the graphics still look plain, but I like how they fit together.  I'm also happy with the music and sound.

Another positive is that each one of these I do, I stack up a list of tasks to improve the base engine, this session caused me to re-think some things and learn new stuff.

There are 10 levels.  The pace really picks up around level 7, I've not been able to get past level 9 and I doubt level 10 is possible.  Heh.

The number in the bottom right of the screen is your life.  Essentially, you get five hits then it's game over.

original post:

I hope to have something done for this.

Most of the small games I've built allow the player to shoot on different angles, so I'm confident with the theme.

For this session, I'm trying a different process for the "design", such as it is.

For most game projects I do, the graphics happen in pieces and always after the game is running.  I'm a programmer first and foremost so I start with code and once things are moving around I'll then start putting in graphics hap-hazardly.  As a result, most of the stuff I've done doesn't have a strong theme.

This time I'm trying to design the look of the whole thing in a mockup before touching any code.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 02:44:14 AM by Owen Butler »

Read January 12, 2009, 11:30:20 PM #1
Owen Butler

Re: Owen Butler's entry

That being said, I'm still a numpty in photoshop!  So while this one might look more consistent, It'll still be programmer art!
Read January 13, 2009, 01:44:12 AM #2
kdmiller3

Maybe this will help: Better Programmer Art
Read January 13, 2009, 03:56:24 AM #3
the2bears

That being said, I'm still a numpty in photoshop!  So while this one might look more consistent, It'll still be programmer art!

Nice to see you entering again.  And don't worry about programmer art, I'm not one to judge Wink

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read January 15, 2009, 04:49:55 AM #4
Owen Butler

Maybe this will help: Better Programmer Art
That's a great link, thanks.  One thing from that list that I'd already convinced myself on was the restricted palette.  Off to a good start!

Here's how it looks currently:

Read January 19, 2009, 11:57:37 PM #5
Owen Butler

I'm nearly done.  Just putting some sounds in and fixing last minute bugs!
Read January 20, 2009, 02:04:16 AM #6
Pixel_Outlaw

Good luck, hope you make the time limit.

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read January 20, 2009, 03:34:37 AM #7
the2bears

Re: Owen Butler's entry [done]

Just had a quick play now, really liking the style and mood with this.  Nice background tune.

Bill

Read January 20, 2009, 04:29:27 AM #8
kdmiller3

Very nifty.  Grin
Read January 20, 2009, 01:57:16 PM #9
the2bears

For completeness sake, maybe a downloaded version to post in the topic?

Bill

Read January 20, 2009, 06:13:22 PM #10
VectorVanDoom

its an entertaining game, yet colors are a bit dull, but well contrasting.
the pause function seems to be bugged. at first i was suprised it worked, but then i couldnt return to the game Sad also i'd like to see which level im in especially at the game over screen Wink sometimes it seemed kinda too easy cause all enemies spawned right in my line of shots, but im talkin about early levels, so the difficulty curve is nice nevertheless (amde it up to lvl 7 or 8 in three tries, then the bug appeared). is it another bug that sometimes i overhear the hitsound? or was it the good music? the music seems to be in sync with the shotspeed.
essentially its a solid arena shooter you build here Cheesy maybe its time to try some coloration for your next game [im aching for firered explosions, till then i'll imagine its an submariner, Tongue despite the missing friction and inertia xD]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 07:02:27 PM by VectorVanDoom »
Read January 20, 2009, 06:56:27 PM #11
Null1024

Top notch, very fun, music was quality, graphics were nice, great game.
Read January 22, 2009, 05:01:05 AM #12
Pixel_Outlaw

This was very refershing to play. Great stuff here. Made it to level 7. Wink

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read January 23, 2009, 12:20:33 AM #13
Owen Butler

One of the consistent pieces of feedback that has been raised has been that it feels a little like an arena shotoer.  True enough, though I'm kicking myself.

One of the items on my long forgotten todo list for this one was to restrict the rotation of the player ship to the 180 degrees facing up the screen.  I think that would have helped a bunch.
Read January 23, 2009, 12:23:46 AM #14
the2bears

One of the consistent pieces of feedback that has been raised has been that it feels a little like an arena shotoer.  True enough, though I'm kicking myself.

One of the items on my long forgotten todo list for this one was to restrict the rotation of the player ship to the 180 degrees facing up the screen.  I think that would have helped a bunch.

That would be interesting to try out.  I've been meaning to go back and fix some of the criticisms in my past session games, any chance you'll do that here?

Bill

Read January 23, 2009, 12:44:28 AM #15
Owen Butler

That would be interesting to try out.  I've been meaning to go back and fix some of the criticisms in my past session games, any chance you'll do that here?

Bill
Yep, I'll definitely be updating this one in the future.  I'll hold off until this sessions voting closes at least though, as I don't want to upload over the webstart version.

Just saw your message about a download version, I'll admit that since I've started using webstart I've not really considered downloads.  I really dig webstart!  I have a monster shell script that I currently use to take the output of my build and create/upload the webstart distribution.  I should probably modify that script to create a download zip (with shell scripts/bat files to launch for different os's).  I'll make that a goal for the next session.
Read January 23, 2009, 12:50:52 AM #16
the2bears

Yeah, Webstart's great.  I haven't worked it out with my present OSGi framework, but I've been meaning to.  Like you said, though, it makes versions for competitions a bit more work.

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 19 queries.