SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 12
|-+ Galeswift's Entry - Tentacle Snake - [Completed]

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read May 23, 2009, 08:26:27 PM #0
Galeswift

Galeswift's Entry - Tentacle Snake - [Completed]

I've decided to join the forum, and give this challenge a try!  Grin

I went for a mix of arena shooter mixed with classic snake.

• Author : Keith Miron
  • Controls:
  • A - Rotate left
  • D - Rotate right
  • Left mouse button - shoot weapon, or activate shield.

• Objective:
  • The objective is to stay alive, and score lots of points!
  • Running into your tail, or enemies will kill you.
  • Enemies die when they run into your tail
  • Collect the squares to extend your tail. If you collect consecutive squares of the same color, you will get an increase in the weapon's effectiveness, AND get a boost to your points.
  • BLUE: Shield.  For every linked powerup, you will gain 1 more second of shielding.
  • RED: Multi-shot.  For every linked powerup, you will gain 2 additional bullets.
  • GREEN: Grenade.  For every linked powerup, you will gain 4 additional shrapnel shots.

* Extra lives every 10k points.
* Multiplier every 500 or so points.
* Difficulty increases every 10k points.

Download Link:
All Shaders enabled

Shaders disabled Download link for those having trouble with the first link

Music by Matt McFarland
http://mattmcfarland.com/index.php/music-downloads/36-exciting/75-driven-drivenmp3.html

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 11:46:48 PM by Galeswift »
Read May 24, 2009, 12:47:35 AM #1
moosa

Re: Galeswift's Entry

Welcome!
If you can die by running into your tail, then this game sounds like it will be hell to play. Interesting idea though no doubt.
Just FYI, the originally planned deadline for this session is this Monday. It has been extended in the past though.
Read May 24, 2009, 05:57:40 AM #2
Galeswift

Yes, you can die by running into your tail (for now).  I hope it's more challenging than frustrating though Smiley
Read May 26, 2009, 12:03:06 AM #3
moosa

Hopefully. Smiley My only thought was that Snake was challenging enough on its own without enemies and bullets and shooting involved. But then again, I like to think that any concept can be made to work (in theory).

Interesting diagonal movement there. I've never thought about what Snake could be like with more than four directions. Imagine full analog directional support... that would be different!
Read May 26, 2009, 02:20:44 AM #4
Galeswift

Already done!

Trying to add some graphics last minute  Shocked
Read May 26, 2009, 02:39:14 PM #5
moosa

Re: Galeswift's Entry - Tentacle Snake - [Completed]

I wouldn't worry so much about the graphics in these sessions... Colored blocks tend to be the norm. Of course you can if you want to though. Smiley

Edit: this one isn't running on my computer either. Sad Is it just me?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 02:45:17 PM by moosa »
Read May 26, 2009, 05:18:27 PM #6
Galeswift

Hmm, it might be due to any number of things.  What kind of video card do you have?  Also, if you're running vista, you might need to run it in admin mode.

Read May 26, 2009, 06:56:15 PM #7
moosa

Its an XP laptop, all I know is that it's an Intel graphics driver.
Read May 26, 2009, 07:00:21 PM #8
berilium

I played your game! I like it! It was much fun and I can't remember how many nodes I had attached but my snake was huge! haha.

The only problem I had is controlling the head. Basically because I have problems with WASD configurations and some times I went the wrong direction. I was thinking that since you only use the mouse's button. Maybe add left and right + z|x|ctrl as an alternative control scheme? Smiley

It's a nice game. Maybe you can give extra bonus depending on the colour order you collect the items. I can rememeber my score but it wasn't bad I think. And I had many many (hundreds) lives left before quiting Cheesy
Read May 27, 2009, 12:05:45 AM #9
Galeswift

Yea, I can definitely add the ability to control the snake via the keys, and fire using Z. 

I'm not scaling the points needed to gain lives correctly, so yea, you get lots of them Smiley  In addition the music doesn't loop.

There are lots of things I wanted to add, but it'll have to do for now!  I wish I had time to put in hi-score support, maybe I can at least add that, and maybe achievement support Wink

Read May 27, 2009, 07:52:07 PM #10
Slackluster

Nice game.  The funnest part for me was trying to get my tail as long as possible, it would be cool to see more incentive to get long tail.  Like maybe your tail length is your bonus points.   

Another idea I have is when deciding which powerup the player is going to use, skip all of the single (non-consecutive) colors).  Make it so you can only use colors in groups of 2 (or even 3) or more.  This would make it much more important for the player to collect colors in order while also making it harder to reduce tail length. 

Also you really need to add an indicator on the shield when it is about to be up.  I felt like it was too unsafe to use.  Anyway I'd like to play it again after you get the score and stuff tweaked out better.
Read May 27, 2009, 08:42:14 PM #11
Galeswift

Great suggestions, thanks!  I'll implement some of those changes, and upload a new build tonight.

I'll put in some 'game mode' support, so you can try out different styles of play, and you can choose between several different rulesets.

Some game modes:
  • Only able to shoot consecutive colors
  • Bonus multiplier is determined by tail length
  • A mode where you can't actually shoot
  • A mode where you always fire 3 pieces of your tail at once, but the bullets you fire are mixed together, based on the powerup.
Read May 28, 2009, 02:20:16 AM #12
moosa

I tried it on my PC, and I get the opening screen, and then McFarland's music and the words in the top left, but nothing else. The dialog box says "incomplete framebuffer object due to unsupported format" about 10 times over.
Read May 28, 2009, 02:39:16 AM #13
Galeswift

Ah, it's an openGl 2.0 problem.  Looks like your video card doesn't support frame buffer objects Sad  I use those for a multitude of things, including bloom.

I can upload a build with that stuff disabled, if you want to play it still Smiley
Read May 28, 2009, 06:19:22 AM #14
moosa

If it's not too much trouble... Smiley I'd like to at least try everyone's entries and give some kind of feedback.
Since my PC has a stock graphics card, perhaps it might be a good idea to try and implement a way for the end user to disable those things in case something like this happens. Just a thought anyways. It's not a new machine, but it's not that old either.
Read May 28, 2009, 11:47:11 PM #15
Galeswift

Moosa:  I added a new link for you to try.  See if that works any better for you Smiley
Read May 29, 2009, 01:42:10 AM #16
the2bears

Here's a screen shot of what I get.  This it with both versions, though the newer version indicates"

INFO: OpenGL 2.0 supported, proceeding
Opened audio at 44100Hz 16bit stereo, 1024bytes audio buffer

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read May 29, 2009, 03:53:23 AM #17
moosa

That's because you're not wearing the 3D goggles. Wink

I'll give it a shot.
Read May 29, 2009, 04:29:06 AM #18
Galeswift

I forgot to mention, you should run VGengine.exe for the second list I posted.  I accidently included the old executable in there too.  VGEngine.exe is the one that has shaders disabled.
Read May 30, 2009, 09:58:26 PM #19
moosa

Ok, I played it finally. Smiley
It's a fun game. I like how you can kill the enemies with your tail. The control feels smooth and just-about right. The powerups for your tail is a pretty cool mechanic. My biggest problem with it is that it doesn't really feel like a shmup seeing as how you can't shoot without using a special one-time-use item, and none of the enemies shoot back. That doesn't necessarily make the game any worse, it's just the fact that it seems more like a spiffy snake game than it does a shmup. Aside from that point though, I think its a cool and fun game and could very well evolve into something more. Smiley
Read June 02, 2009, 02:20:56 AM #20
Galeswift

Hey moosa, thanks for the feedback!  I would agree that it's probably more like a fancy version of snake than a shmup. In reality, I actually had a lot of shooting originally, but it turned out to be a pretty generic arena shooter.  I didn't actually realize that it was like snake until after I played it with powerups + growing tail, and kind of smacked my forehead Grin

I think I'd really like to incorporate more depth, and make it more "shooter-ish", at least adding in some more types of enemies.

I'm glad you got it to run and try it out though Smiley

Can't wait for the next competition!
Read June 02, 2009, 02:43:40 AM #21
the2bears

Have you seen Mimizu Panzer?  I had to turn the dial way back on the time machine at the2bears, circa 2005 Smiley  Could offer some ideas.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read June 02, 2009, 02:55:10 AM #22
Galeswift

Wow, I've never heard of that game!  It looks similar in concept to the one I made... I'll have to give it a try Cheesy
Read June 02, 2009, 03:55:21 AM #23
moosa

The one thing that I was slightly disappointed about with tentacle snake is that I thought from the description that you would always keep your tail segments rather than using them up. I had envisioned being able to fire bullets out of your tail segments and such, so that each segment would be more like a powerup than a one-time-use item. Perhaps that could be one direction to consider for future development. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.