Read June 10, 2009, 09:04:24 PM #0
the2bears

Session 13 Announcement

Session 13 will start this Monday. 
Start Date : June 15th, 2009
End Date : June 29th, 2009

Theme : Time

This sessions theme is "Time", as suggested by Galeswift:
Somehow incorporate an element of time in the game.  Maybe something like a weapon that sends you backwards in time, but keeps bullets that you fired persistent?  (Think braid, or blinkx the time cat)

I think this theme offers quite a wide variety of areas to explore.  From time-based scoring and multipliers to the more elaborate mechanics such as those in the already mentioned "Braid". 

Good luck!

Bill
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:19:19 AM by the2bears »

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read June 10, 2009, 11:45:58 PM #1
moosa

Re: Session 13 Announcement

Argh. You tease.
Read June 11, 2009, 01:35:18 AM #2
sleen

this got me all excited, too...
Read June 11, 2009, 02:22:57 AM #3
the2bears

You guys are too easy  Grin  As usual, the theme will be posted Sunday night PST.

Bill

Read June 11, 2009, 04:43:11 AM #4
Mr.Keng

I await Wink

maybe not I might work on an igf project
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 05:47:29 AM by Mr.Keng »
Read June 12, 2009, 09:21:54 AM #5
Null1024

Monday? I'm totally in.
Read June 12, 2009, 01:48:06 PM #6
kdmiller3

I'm going to try to participate in this one.  (I still need to do that major project reorganization to give myself a simpler foundation...)
Read June 12, 2009, 04:19:49 PM #7
Slackluster

I want to participate but I'm going to be on vacation for the second week of the session.  I may try to bang something out before then though.
Read June 12, 2009, 08:29:48 PM #8
Kaede

Looking forward to it, I'm going to give it a try !
Read June 12, 2009, 08:49:54 PM #9
sleen

Yeah, i'll have about four days before visiting family (sans computers/internet). but i'll  give it my best shot.
Read June 13, 2009, 12:40:24 AM #10
Edge

I'll probably will have enough free time in the next weeks, so I am also going to give it another try this time. Though I hope the theme won't be too technically challenging.

And...
Hi Kaede,
nice seeing you joining this forum.  Smiley
Read June 13, 2009, 06:53:38 AM #11
moosa

Um wow.

grin1
Read June 15, 2009, 04:19:36 AM #12
the2bears

Theme's up, see the first post.

Bill

Read June 15, 2009, 05:26:44 AM #13
Oakleaf

Interesting... I'll try to whip something up.
Read June 15, 2009, 07:12:49 AM #14
Kaede

Interesting theme.

That also reminds me of Dimahoo's last boss : one of its pattern goes backward and forward in time.
The mechanics in Esp Galuda and Esp Galuda 2 also seem to be fitting the subject.

I understood that there is no rule as for which development environment / programming language people should use.
So, I would like to make something using Virtools (it's a prototyping program), because I'm already at ease with it.
Will it be ok if to run the game, people will need to download the Virtools' player ? It's more or less like Flash, which requires a plug-in. The player only weigths a few MB.

edit : I forgot...hi Edge Smiley
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:12:02 PM by Kaede »
Read June 15, 2009, 08:20:18 AM #15
sleen

Woohoo. This should be fun!

Does it have to send you *backwards* in time? The first thing I thought of when I read the topic was Heli Attack, where you can alter time by slowing it down for everyone, slowing it down for enemies and your shots, and slowing it down for just enemies, each of which takes progressively more "warp energy" (best thing I could think to call it). Or like in Touhou, where everything slows and you can see the bounding boxes.
Read June 15, 2009, 10:51:25 AM #16
moosa

The session themes are always open to interpretation, so I'd say don't worry so much about what is or is not acceptable, and just do what you think would be a good idea.

@Kaede: I installed the player, and it was quick and painless, so I personally have no problem with it. I've never heard of that app before, so it might be interesting to see what you turn out.
Read June 15, 2009, 12:29:19 PM #17
Kaede

It's a 3D prototyping app', but since I'm more at ease with it than Flash or the SDL, I prefer using it rather than one of these two.
If I had more time or knew it a bit already no doubt I would have gone for the C++/SDL combo, to get my hands more dirty Smiley
Read June 15, 2009, 02:00:07 PM #18
the2bears

It's a 3D prototyping app', but since I'm more at ease with it than Flash or the SDL, I prefer using it rather than one of these two.

As long as the game's a shmup (2D game play, etc) it should be fine.  I have to mention this as occasionally in the past we've had confusion by people as to what types of games are expected. 

Bill

Read June 15, 2009, 02:31:13 PM #19
Slackluster

Time reversal is a hard feature to implement but would be totally sick in a shmup.  There are a lot of other options though.  I'm looking forward to seeing what creative ideas everyone comes up with on this one.
Read June 15, 2009, 06:40:41 PM #20
sleen

As long as the game's a shmup (2D game play, etc)

Star Fox, in my opinion, is a perfectly valid 3-D shmup.
Read June 15, 2009, 07:58:21 PM #21
the2bears

It seems we have a different definition of "shmup" then.

Bill

Read June 15, 2009, 08:40:07 PM #22
Null1024

Don't pull that card out of the box... ^_^
Read June 15, 2009, 08:53:45 PM #23
sleen

So it appears =D

Anyways, I got my idea for this session whilst reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. In said series, if a person attacks an object with balefire, that object is removed from Time, and anything it did in the recent past is undone. So in this prototype, you are defending some ships that have a dire need to get from point A to point B, via area C.  Area C, unfortunately, is the middle of a bloody war, with two sides attacking each other relentlessly. They have no love for you or the merchant ships you're supposed to be guarding, and will attack you/merchants just as easily as they will attack each other.

You have two attacks, a machine gun, and balefire.  The gun will take out a ship normally, and is useful for clearing the way if it is blocked by a group of enemies. The balefire is to be used when an enemy manages to take out one of the ships you are protecting. If, using balefire, you kill the enemy that took out your protectee, any ship the enemy has killed in, say, the last thirty seconds will be revived, and the enemy ship destroyed.

The two things to keep in mind are that
   1) There is no safety net if *you* die.
   2) If an enemy takes out a merchant ship and is killed by a standard gun, the only way to get the merchant ship back is to use balefire on the ship that killed the enemy, and then balefire the enemy that killed the merchant.

So, whaddya guys think?
Read June 15, 2009, 08:57:30 PM #24
berilium

This is such a nice theme!

However, I am not very sure I will be in this time around. I awesomely managed to break my engine. That or my video card is giving up on me. I've got corrupted textures after playing a bit. Also I will be tied to some hard work the following days. Will see next week if I have some spare time.

I was looking up StarFox on wikipedia and found that there is a (rather unrelated) 2D shmup for the Atari 2600 named StarFox... didn't know that Smiley
Read June 15, 2009, 09:27:22 PM #25
the2bears

So, whaddya guys think?

I think it's a very interesting idea with some good potential. 

Bill

Read June 15, 2009, 10:44:32 PM #26
moosa

@Sleen: Thats a very cool idea and good thinking, especially for so soon. Tongue
I suggest you make your own thread in this forum for your concept and post that there, like null1024 already has. Good luck!

By the way, I consider StarFox to be a shmup myself. Wink
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:48:22 PM by moosa »
Read June 16, 2009, 12:48:46 AM #27
Null1024

I'm working very quickly on my project, I may be done well before the 2 week deadline, and may even have time to put in a third level...
I even have screenshots already!

Also, if you think about it a lot, Star Fox is a shmup, if you consider it essentially a shmup where all the shots come in and go out Rayforce style... ^_^
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:50:57 AM by Null1024 »

Read June 16, 2009, 01:50:34 AM #28
Galeswift

This is such a nice theme!

However, I am not very sure I will be in this time around. I awesomely managed to break my engine. That or my video card is giving up on me. I've got corrupted textures after playing a bit. Also I will be tied to some hard work the following days. Will see next week if I have some spare time.

I was looking up StarFox on wikipedia and found that there is a (rather unrelated) 2D shmup for the Atari 2600 named StarFox... didn't know that Smiley

I had the same exact problems in my game!  You know what it turned out to be?  It wasn't an overheating video card, as I had thought, but bad RAM!

I had even ran memchecks before and it came up clear, but when it started to get really bad, I ran a memtest again, and within a few minutes, it found that 2 of my 4 sticks were completely bad.  It led to all KINDS of random problems, ranging from crashes, corrupt textures or installations for games failing.

Maybe it's worth a shot, downloading a memory tester?
Read June 16, 2009, 11:56:45 AM #29
Kaede

That was unreasonable of me to announce I was going to participate, I won't have time because I've works to finish for school soon (my teacher estimated I couldn't do both and unfortunately I think he's right).
I'll post the game design researchs I did in a topic, even if it's really not much.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:58:25 AM by Kaede »
Read June 16, 2009, 03:33:33 PM #30
moosa

Kaede, that's quite alright and there's always next session. Smiley I look forward to reading about your research soon.
Read June 16, 2009, 05:51:26 PM #31
Dorkpunk

I have a few other things going on, but if a good idea pops into my brain, I'll be in.
Read June 16, 2009, 11:20:41 PM #32
Null1024

Man, I love this session so much. The idea came easily, and I have near infinite amounts of free time now!
Read June 17, 2009, 12:23:44 AM #33
pixelizr

Hello, I'm thinking of trying my hand at this one. I'm currently considering buying DarkBASIC Pro, and I was thinking that something like this would be perfect for giving the trial version a spin. Smiley

I'll probably end up with something really conservative though.
Read June 17, 2009, 04:30:24 AM #34
moosa

Rapid prototypes tend to be that way anyways sir. We'd love to have you join in. Smiley
Read June 29, 2009, 06:21:51 PM #35
kdmiller3

Looks like we got some good turnout this time!

I wanted to get something done for this session since I've been away for so long, but didn't have a lot of time to work on it so I spent what time I had getting my game engine working again.  Maybe I'll be ready for the next one. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 18 queries.