Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/conor/cokane.com/shmupdevarchive/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Edge's Entry - [Death Race 3000] - Uploaded
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 13
|-+ Edge's Entry - [Death Race 3000] - Uploaded

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read June 18, 2009, 03:20:20 AM #0
Edge

Edge's Entry - [Death Race 3000] - Uploaded

EDIT:

-Download Death Race 3000 Prototype 0.11 (450kb) (slightly enhanced)

My take on the theme is a shmup-racing game.

It's a race in outer space where the objective is to reach the next checkpoint before your time runs out. You can gain speed by collecting speed power ups, which are dropped by all shot enemies.

Your current speed is also the current rank level, making survival at higher speed more difficult.

Also your speed constantly decreases, so you are forced to collect new items all the time. There is also a bomb that clears the screen, but slows you a fair amount down.

I plan to have no score involved, instead it is meant to be played for best times. Like a racing game.

So far I have most of the basics working. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:38:08 PM by Edge »
Read June 18, 2009, 07:33:03 AM #1
moosa

Re: Edge's Entry

Hey, cool idea. Sounds like it could be exciting!
So do bullet/enemy collisions kill you or just slow you down? Also, are there banana peels?
Read June 28, 2009, 09:31:07 AM #2
Edge

Sorry, I forgot to update my thread.
I made pretty good progression in the first week. But this week I have become a bit stuck. But I am trying to get this still done in the remaining time.

I personally found it looked pretty promising, but as it is now it simply lacks content. So far I have only 2 different enemies included. There are couple of ideas for another enemies and I guess I am going to try to implement the most simple ones and stick with placeholder graphics to get anything finished.

The gameplay mechanic however is to 95% finished.

So do bullet/enemy collisions kill you or just slow you down? Also, are there banana peels?

It kills, but you can respawn unlimited times. While you are dead and until you respawn you lose some time and you start with the minimum speed level again. I hope this is still enough punishment, without beeing too unforgivening.

And I am sorry, no banana peels this time.  Wink
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 09:33:44 AM by Edge »
Read June 28, 2009, 07:58:33 PM #3
moosa

Haha it needs multiplayer... Wink Grin
Read June 30, 2009, 12:37:13 AM #4
Edge

Ok the prototype is somehow finished, and so I am.  Tongue

No sounds and not that much content, but yet I have finished it somehow and it is playable:

Download Death Race 3000 Prototype 0.1 (450kb)

I have been working on it the whole night, it's 3.30 am here now.
I am too tired and exhausted now to continue anymore. I would actually like to do a little more playtesting, but I guess I just have to do that tomorrow with a clear head.

Haha it needs multiplayer... Wink Grin

Actually an online multiplayer mode would probably pretty fun. A bit like Twinkle Star Sprites. But I have absolutely no experience with online apps.
Read June 30, 2009, 01:41:32 AM #5
Null1024

Re: Edge's Entry - [Death Race 3000] - Uploaded

For a game like this, you'd need to run a server, and have stuff happen on players machines when the server bounces both player's input back combined.

I.e,
Code:
Player 1 --- > [ server ] < --- Player 2
 ^ ^        [combined input]       ^ ^
 |_|_____________|    |____________|_|
Read June 30, 2009, 02:37:53 AM #6
Yumil

It's quite nice. Only played it a bit, but before the first checkpoint and after require different strategies to survive easier, so it's quite fun. I like it.
Read June 30, 2009, 08:42:41 PM #7
moosa

My best so far it 104AU on my first try. The penalty for biting it is pretty tough. It makes it pretty hard to reach that first checkpoint.

This is really a tight-playing game. The mechanic is simple and instantly playable, the controls feel solid and the enemies and bullet behaviors are tricky but not evil. I like the way it gets more intense as your speed increases, that feels really cool, although it could conceivably cause a little trouble as far as playing for high score, given how much a death will slow you down. Perhaps you could try the meter = health thing, where taking a hit will take a big chunk off the speed meter, thereby dropping the rank, and then you only die if the meter reaches below zero.
Overall this is a very strong entry, and I've enjoyed it, so great job. Smiley
Read June 30, 2009, 09:51:50 PM #8
Edge

Thanks for the encouraging feedback.

@moosa:
Yes, I absolutely agree with you about the penalty for death beeing to harsh.
In the uploaded version your countdown is reduces by ten, when you die. I made that change on the last day, so here is where I was penalized for not doing more playtesting in the end.

First I had no time-penalty at all, however this was too forgiving. I am currently trying to adjust the value in between "5" seconds, are probably enough penalty to make you not wanna die. Without completely discouraging you after 2 deaths.
Read July 12, 2009, 10:23:36 PM #9
berilium

Wow! I liked this entry. From all entries yours is the closest one to mine. However, you performed the idea in a much better way than I did Cheesy

I like how things start slow, then everything rushes. You still can have some control over the speed, but has the pressure because you know you have to rush to the next checkpoint. Very nice indeed.

Thanks Edge!
Read July 13, 2009, 04:54:39 PM #10
Slackluster

Awesome entry!  The concept worked out brilliantly with really intense action and speed.  I really like the clean and colorful visual style.  My high score so far is 289.  Those seeker missiles are really hard to evade! 

My only suggestion is I think you could increase the player movement speed a bit.  Maybe the player can move around faster when they aren't firing?   This will give the player a reason to not always hold down fire and provide an option to get out of hairy situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 19 queries.