Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/conor/cokane.com/shmupdevarchive/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Korenn's entry [Bullet Crave] - Done
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 14
|-+ Korenn's entry [Bullet Crave] - Done

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read September 02, 2009, 10:51:07 AM #0
Korenn

Korenn's entry [Bullet Crave] - Done

Bullet Crave

The player ship is extremely powerful (as always), but it has only limited ammo. To replenish the ammo, the player's ship has a field generator that cancels the enemy bullets around it and draws them in as ammo. The generator has cooldown time between each use.

The player has several options of firing his ammo, including an everything-at-once mode in a shotgun-like style.

Screenshot. Cookie if you name where the base sprites came from =]

Download link:
Installer - http://www.4shared.com/file/132781983/11465eb8/Bullet_Crave_Installer.html
Installer without shader - http://www.4shared.com/file/132782340/3bd86a36/Bullet_Crave_Installer_NOSHADER.html

Requirements:
a graphics card that supports shader model 2.0
windows XP (or later)  <- XNA requirement

NOSHADER Requirements:
a graphics card that supports shader model 1.1 <- XNA requirement
windows XP (or later)  <- XNA requirement

If you don't want to use the installer, unzip and just copy the directory from Application Files\ to wherever you want. But make sure you have XNA 3.1 installed.

Gamepad Controls: (supports non-xbox pads!)
Left Stick - movement
Button 1 - machine gun
Button 2 - generator
Button 3 - blaster
Button 4 - Ammo dump blast
(these buttons are mapped in your windows joystick setup)

Keyboard Controls:
Arrow keys - movement
Z/Y - generator
X - machine gun
C - blaster
V - Ammo dump blast
Escape - exit program
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:48:27 AM by Korenn »
Read September 02, 2009, 10:16:22 PM #1
moosa

Re: Korenn's entry

I like it.
If you want to know what I'd do, make the boss fight(s) have key moments where you need to use the "everything-at-once" shot to hit it.
Read September 02, 2009, 10:43:17 PM #2
jakman4242

Building off of moosa's suggestion:

Perhaps weakening parts of the boss,(if the boss does have multiple parts) and then actually requiring an "everything-at-once" shot to destroy the part.

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
Or read my new blog!~ (which I do update)
My blog.
Read September 03, 2009, 12:08:12 PM #3
Korenn

The boss in the initial level will not be anything complex, to keep implementation simple Smiley But I might take that idea on for the boss of the second level, if I get to one.

Update: due to use of my existing shmup engine the prototype is coming along fine, the bullet gathering mechanism is working like a charm. Now thinking on enemy types and shot patterns.

The game will be XNA 3.1 but using direct input instead of xna input, thus allowing use of all possible gamepads instead of just xbox ones (retarded microsoft Wink).
Read September 03, 2009, 03:34:45 PM #4
kdmiller3

The game will be XNA 3.1 but using direct input instead of xna input, thus allowing use of all possible gamepads instead of just xbox ones (retarded microsoft Wink).

Microsoft should have mapped the Xbox 360 controller analog triggers in DirectInput to rglSlider instead of crippling them by combining them into a single axis.  That decision still baffles me.
Read September 03, 2009, 04:45:22 PM #5
jakman4242

Microsoft should have mapped the Xbox 360 controller analog triggers in DirectInput to rglSlider instead of crippling them by combining them into a single axis.  That decision still baffles me.

"Thou shoult purchase thy PC-compatible Xbox 360 controllers, else thy shalt be limited to thy keyboard and mouse."

Might have been their original marketing strategy.  Smiley

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
My blog.
Read September 04, 2009, 12:19:51 AM #6
moosa

The boss in the initial level will not be anything complex, to keep implementation simple Smiley But I might take that idea on for the boss of the second level, if I get to one.

Update: due to use of my existing shmup engine the prototype is coming along fine, the bullet gathering mechanism is working like a charm. Now thinking on enemy types and shot patterns.

If you do decide to try something like that, I think you'd be wise to try and implement it across all of the bosses, for consistency. As it is, you would need a way to help the player figure out what they need to do in those instances, so perhaps you should have that worked in somehow right from the get-go. To keep it simple, you could have the first boss only require the final hit to destroy it be the all-at-once shot. Honestly I think this could be a really cool idea, as it would likely require the player to keep harvesting more bullet energy in order to try and get those key shots off.
Read September 04, 2009, 09:17:25 AM #7
Korenn

hm, true, but I don't think it's bad design to make the player learn something in level 2. By making level 1 boss easy, it's more enjoyable and you get drawn in before you get beaten to a pulp by the second boss where you have to think Tongue

update - ran into an engine hitch:
http://www.shmup-dev.com/forum/index.php?topic=1635.msg20820#msg20820
thinking about that now. a box insert (lots of values inserted at same place) may be the best way.

further update - issue solved with help from Hornet600S. Now fixing a similar problem with bullet death, then I finish up the boss and first level.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 12:12:39 PM by Korenn »
Read September 05, 2009, 08:12:19 PM #8
moosa

You guys are all so organized and productive. @_@
Read September 05, 2009, 09:00:27 PM #9
jakman4242

You guys are all so organized and productive. @_@

It's mostly about commitment to what you're working on.

Besides, organization and productiveness is sort of a rhythm. Once you get into it, it's easy to follow the beat~

My blog.
Read September 05, 2009, 11:28:19 PM #10
moosa

I have mental challenges. LoL. >_>
Read September 09, 2009, 03:58:37 PM #11
Korenn

Update: The "similar problem with bullet death" turned out to be relatively easy, but it uncovered a bug I had introduced which took me 2 whole days to hunt down -_- But now I can finally put bullet-hell typical amounts of bullets on screen at 60 fps (and have them collide).

hopefully I'll have a playable level 1 done tomorrow.
Read September 09, 2009, 06:44:06 PM #12
kdmiller3

Looking forwards to it.  Smiley

I know the feeling about hunting down bugs, and it's usually some dumb oversight on my part.  I just figured out a nasty sound bug that had been in my audio system ever since I switched over to SDL_Mixer for my session 8 entry.  I also found out that a newly-introduced rendering bug was actually an AI debug display that I had forgotten to remove.  Fun times...  Roll Eyes
Read September 09, 2009, 07:14:00 PM #13
moosa

LoL I think we've all been there on more than one occasion...
Read September 10, 2009, 12:16:02 PM #14
Korenn

Boss is done, but I got sidetracked making things pretty Grin

here's a preview of the titlescreen, the game will be called Bullet Crave (you've got a craving for bullets Tongue)

Those sepia tones won't be in the game itself, just the menu Smiley
Read September 10, 2009, 08:23:47 PM #15
kdmiller3

Re: Korenn's entry [Bullet Crave]

Cute.  I like the background image.  Grin
Read September 13, 2009, 08:48:07 PM #16
Korenn

Level 1 is done. It could use some love to make it more of a challenge / interest, but it'll do as is Tongue It will be way too easy for the shmup veterans here, but the concept works, and this way I can still beat my own game Grin

I still need to do some small stuff to actually make it a game, like scoring and UI feedback Smiley I don't think there will be more levels before the end of this round, but I might still make them later if people like the idea.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to where I should host the download?
Read September 13, 2009, 10:36:05 PM #17
moosa

I don't think it much matters, as long as it downloads. WillHostForFood works fine if you don't want to sign up for anything.
Read September 14, 2009, 03:01:57 PM #18
Korenn

Download included in top post. Tomorrow I may include a version/option without shader model 2, for people with legacy graphics cards.
Read September 15, 2009, 12:50:53 AM #19
moosa

The look of that screenshot caught me off guard. Am I correct in surmising that you didn't create the sprites yourself?

Edit: On my laptop, I get the Loading screen, and the beginnings of some techno beat, and then the application freezes and wont respond. I used the installer. Perhaps the version without shaders will run better?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:01:16 AM by moosa »
Read September 15, 2009, 01:06:23 AM #20
Korenn

Edit: On my laptop, I get the Loading screen, and the beginnings of some techno beat, and then the application freezes and wont respond. I used the installer. Perhaps the version without shaders will run better?
Is that an intel card? if so, that sounds about right, as the menu is the first bit that uses the shader.

I used a publicly available sprite set as base (don't worry, nothing illegal), then modified and added own sprites. Most notably the terrain tiles aren't mine (we don't have a terrain pipeline done yet). A cookie if you can guess where they come from Grin
Read September 15, 2009, 02:40:51 AM #21
tavox

Woow!! very good, I like much the artistic work

Yeap!

I sorry, I don`t have good English  Sad

.//activating mind...
.//mind no found, Please try again
Read September 15, 2009, 03:34:45 AM #22
moosa

Is that an intel card? if so, that sounds about right, as the menu is the first bit that uses the shader.

I think so.
Read September 15, 2009, 03:53:26 AM #23
Yumil

Theres a bug in your title screen...pretty much in the fadeout effect as it still accepts controller input while fadeout on a start game. So if you keep pressing the button, it will keep restarting.
Read September 15, 2009, 07:57:56 AM #24
Korenn

Theres a bug in your title screen...pretty much in the fadeout effect as it still accepts controller input while fadeout on a start game. So if you keep pressing the button, it will keep restarting.
oh, thanks for reporting, I thought I'd fixed that ages ago. At least it isn't gamebreaking Smiley
Read September 15, 2009, 08:04:50 AM #25
Yumil

oh, thanks for reporting, I thought I'd fixed that ages ago. At least it isn't gamebreaking Smiley
Nope just annoying to those of use that have pent up stress and take it out on the controller on the black screens:)
Read September 15, 2009, 10:25:46 AM #26
Korenn

Updated version in top post:
- Added a NOSHADER version download. still requires PS 1.1 for XNA, but most graphics cards that can't handle 2.0 should be able to handle this in a software rasterizer. Unfortunately I can't test this as I have no machine with an old graphics card, but if your hardware can't run the game it should now give you a message box saying so instead of crashing.

- Fixed menu bug reported by Yumil
- Fixed minor positioning bug with enemy fire
- Replaced todo.txt with proper readme.txt Smiley

This will be my entry, I don't have time to add more levels etc.

[update] turns out that although I had written the capability testing code, I wasn't actually using it Tongue latest download in top post fixes that, and should be the final version.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:46:58 AM by Korenn »
Read September 16, 2009, 06:01:51 AM #27
moosa

Re: Korenn's entry [Bullet Crave] - Done

This is SO good. >_<
I don't think I've played a session entry so many times consecutively just to beat it.

It took me a good number of tries to get through. It didn't seem overly difficult, but maybe I'm just a wimpy/spoiled shmup player because I felt like I wanted to have an extra life every time I died and saw the "game over." I eventually got the hang of using the field at the right times and not just trying to blast everything in sight, and I finally ended up just eating heaping piles of bullets and then killing the boss with two big blasts. It was kind of a cool and fun way to do it, but could also become a weakness in the game if not properly balanced some way.

The controls are a bit confusing, but I eventually got the hang of it well enough. They are straightforward, its just that four buttons in a row seems a tad much, and the Z button isn't fire, so my brain was having a hard time coordinating for a little while.

I like almost everything else about this prototype. The presentation is surprisingly polished, particularly the sound, although I realize it wasn't all created by you during this session. There are a few enemy types which are very simple but add enough variety to the level, and the boss was generic but still impressive in its well-developed patterns. The ammo-absorbing mechanic definitely works, and makes the shmup experience feel fresh. I like the subtle ways that the interaction between the enemies and your hunger for bullets creates interesting new gameplay scenarios. For example, if you blast that one little gray plane right off the bat, it will never get to spew a pile of yummy bullets at you. It flips the old concept of "kill that sucker before he blasts the hell out of me" on its head, yet without completely removing it. So, an interesting balance is achieved in that a powerful enemy has both the potential to blast the hell out of me, and to feed me a ton of bullets. This is intriguing, and I would love to see how much further this could be developed!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:05:02 AM by moosa »
Read September 16, 2009, 02:47:21 PM #28
Korenn

thanks for the praise Smiley

Yeah, I expected the keyboard setup to be less-than-ideal because I'm a gamepad player myself, so I didn't know any better way. Generator on Z/Y was a deliberate choice, as the generator is the most important weapon so it should be easiest to access. That was the idea, not sure if it worked.
Read September 17, 2009, 12:40:12 AM #29
moosa

Random idea, but maybe you could try space bar as the generator, and Z, X, C as the three weapons? Or maybe Q, W, E would be more comfortable, although unconventional. See where I'm going with this anyways?
Read September 18, 2009, 05:01:06 AM #30
kemical

this is awesome, great polished feeling with the controls,  I really like how you did the bullets getting pulled in, overall it just felt cool to recharge on ammo, also the addition of ground scenery to destroy is always a good thing  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 18 queries.