Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ Gun Ranger X-Finished

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read June 11, 2006, 01:43:48 AM #0
Pixel_Outlaw

Gun Ranger X-Finished

This is just an engine for now, the game will be more fun i hope...

http://img469.imageshack.us/img469/8320/screenshot5db.png

I'm proud to announce my first blitzmax project. It's still in Work In Progress stages, but I'm excited about showing a small demo. This is a bullet hell/danmaku shooter. This means that it requires a large amount of skill and nerve to play due to large amounts of shots on screen at once. You controll a small ship with the arrow keys, using space to fire. THe collision box for the ship is the small dot in the center, the collision box for the shots are marked in blue. YOu may use scraping to gain points and shoot more shots. By scraping i mean flying close to a shot without touching it. The scraping circle is drawn outsice the ship. Bosses have the same number of cells as the level you are playing and are randomly generated. Cells will have more pretty shot patterns later this is just a demo. This demo is only level 5. It will be realesed freeware whe finished.
LINK
http://s5.exoload.com/uploads/606/1151212005.zip
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 02:48:55 PM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read June 11, 2006, 02:27:21 AM #1
the2bears

Re: New Vector Based Danmaku

I like it, a little reminiscent of Noiz2sa.  Don't get any sleep, and then you can finish all these games Smiley

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read June 11, 2006, 03:36:53 AM #2
Pixel_Outlaw

Thanks Bill. The geometry is fairly involved.  I might finish my other game vectronics, but if I don't it's no great loss. This game, I think, is worth sticking with. I could do this in GM in around three days but blitz takes me a while to learn. I usually get about 6-7 hours of sleep a night. I might be starting a new job soon, which will put the kaibosh on dev time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 03:39:12 AM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Read June 12, 2006, 07:51:40 AM #3
pixelizr

The use of color reminds me of Atari 2600 games. That, for me, is a GOOD thing. ^_^
Read June 12, 2006, 01:40:25 PM #4
Pixel_Outlaw

The use of color reminds me of Atari 2600 games. That, for me, is a GOOD thing. ^_^

I don't quite follow you, do you mean my colors are not saturated enough for you?
I might have an adjustable theme palette. But I can't focus on such a trivial thing right now. I almost have the rotation/spawning system working.
To quote our good friend Adigun,   d= Grin=b
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 01:42:12 PM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Read June 12, 2006, 03:37:23 PM #5
pixelizr

I have no qualms about the color. I just said that it reminded me of Atari 2600 games, most of which had 4-color switching palettes that looked not different from the current screenshot. It was my first video game console, and so it was good for me mainly because of the somewhat nostalgic look.
Read June 12, 2006, 04:46:46 PM #6
Pixel_Outlaw

Oh I see. Well I'm glad it brought back good memories! I almost have the polygone spawning/rotation those hexigons are tough critters. I'l probably post a playable demo within 3 days...

Read June 12, 2006, 06:25:34 PM #7
Pixel_Outlaw

As you can see, i got the hexagons working now...

here is an Early playable demo (very early)
Bullet scrapping included.
Random boss patterns (only about 4 shapes this time)

todo list:
random shot patterns
game modes
boss boss patern generation (the exapme is not like te final result will be)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:16:05 AM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Read June 13, 2006, 03:57:43 PM #8
Matt McFarland

This game is looking pretty sweet!  Cool=b!!! I havent played the demo yet, but will give it a try later.

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read June 14, 2006, 02:18:19 AM #9
Matt McFarland

Just played the latest version.. Overall I think the attention to detail is pretty good.  I do like the 3d effect you have going on in the background (it is surprisingly not noticeable when looking at the screenshot!)

It's way too early to tell what kind of difficulty level you're going for, and what else may happen, but I am looking forward to playing the next release.  Keep up the good work, I definately am impressed by your attention to detail!

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read June 14, 2006, 05:24:42 PM #10
Pixel_Outlaw

Just some VERY hastily drawn concept art.

Read June 16, 2006, 03:50:34 PM #11
Matt McFarland

That's some pretty cool concept art!  so is that guy the main character?  Cheesy

Read June 16, 2006, 06:02:22 PM #12
Pixel_Outlaw

No the stroy isn't set in stone yet. This is just some random player abusing the ship and spraying shots while the cell is a bit intimidated,

rough story
 cell like creature respawns parts of itself and they fall to earth, you shoot them. I'll make if more eliquent later i suppos. Grin

Things to do:

Code:
level system num_cells= level
bullet dodger practice mode
random shot patterns
sounds
effects screen shake ect
music
translation (german japanese)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 06:52:46 PM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Read June 16, 2006, 10:18:22 PM #13
Pixel_Outlaw

OK I've just finished the main portion of the game, now you can get a better feel for how the bosses change from level to level.

link here:
http://exoload.net/uploads/606/1150499836.zip

I really am looking forward to your thoughts. If you download it please tell me what you think of the general diredtion. Thanks!

Read June 17, 2006, 11:16:18 AM #14
Matt McFarland

Ok, I am really starting to like this game!  I like the level progression, but around level 4 or so I have a really hard time (I just need some practice) -  The game seems pretty original to me, here are a few things.

1) Add enemy entry sequence - You probably have this on your "To Do" list buuuut it'd be nice to see this in the next version Wink  - I would add in several different ways they can appear, from grow to shrink, from slide in, to wave in, to fall in, to fall then connect, etc.  The more ways the funner it will be to watch and even better for the game.

2) Enemy death sequence - Probably on there as well, but I really want to see it!!!

I really like the bullet system and the grazing system so far, and am enjoying the game pretty much.  Looking forward to the next version.

Read June 17, 2006, 04:52:46 PM #15
berbank

I like the style of this game, particularly the colour palette, background and energy bars. It has a good pace to it too I think.
I look forward to see how this progresses. Are you thinking of having the bosses move around/rotate at all, or have different weapon systems and ways of attacking?
Read June 17, 2006, 04:57:19 PM #16
Pixel_Outlaw

I like the style of this game, particularly the colour palette, background and energy bars. It has a good pace to it too I think.
I look forward to see how this progresses. Are you thinking of having the bosses move around/rotate at all, or have different weapon systems and ways of attacking?

I have thought of those, i'm programming on this off and on, i probably won't do rotations because it would be a memory hog but I am going to do random shot patterns. I have to convert an old code from GML so it will probably be last on my list. Thanks for your thoughts!

Read June 20, 2006, 11:06:02 PM #17
Pixel_Outlaw

New game version ca be found here
http://www.upshack.com/./uploaded-files/200606/GunRagerX.zip

you can change the game clors by useing the 1,2,3 keys hold them to cycle through the colors.
Z is not the fire button you should find the bullet patterns are more pleasing.

PLEASE tell me how far you get, i'm trying to tweak the difficulty.

Read June 25, 2006, 04:08:27 AM #18
Pixel_Outlaw

I work 8 hours a day 7 days a week this week which leaves little time for developement. NEW version:

some sounds(need help looping music)
new scores screen
now when you get to one cell it goes crazy and tries to kill you.
scraping now makes homing shots to avoid boss milkijng.

http://s5.exoload.com/uploads/606/1151212005.zip

Read June 26, 2006, 04:35:11 PM #19
Pixel_Outlaw

Re: New Vector Based Danmaku-Update as of 6-25-06(link in bottom post)

http://s5.exoload.com/uploads/606/1151343226.zip *new version*

my highscore is now...1570475 (level 11)

Read June 27, 2006, 01:36:58 PM #20
relsoft

Cool screenie!!! Downloading....

Hello
Read July 01, 2006, 12:22:54 AM #21
Pixel_Outlaw

Well...I'm at a total loss. I really am quite unsure about compleating this game. I hoped to accomplish something with a 4 color retro theme and vector/math based art.

I personally don't know if I've been playing it too much or what but it is no longer appealing to me. The game play seems there but the graphics seem to have no or little impact on me anymore. I hoped to make a game that would be simular in style to the vector shmup fad, but it seems lacking.

I DO NOT want to give up just yet, but i need some artistic direction while keeping the inbuilt drawing commands. Do you think this game has style? If not, please post your sudgestions.

Read July 01, 2006, 12:39:06 AM #22
relsoft

Of course it has style.:*)   It's ne of the games that made me experiment on this:

Space to toggle Glow/Bloom.

[attachment lost, please re-upload]

Hello
Read July 01, 2006, 01:50:30 AM #23
Adigun A. Polack

I am in total agreement with you on GunRangerX having style, Rel!  In fact, it has PLENTY of it as far as I am concerned, really!!!  Wink=b !

Pixel_Outlaw, you and Matt have done a super-awesome job on this little game it is truly great fun to play (even with the really well-done music, too!!)!!!  Grin !  And as for the idea that enemies fall to the bottom of the screen after their life-meters run bone-dry, that I think presents a fresh new spin of challenge to this game, and I love it!!!

As for my final score, it is 2,648,675pts., Stage 12.  That is the amount that I have just scored tonight!!

Look, you guys deserve multiple pats on the back on this game, because it is some real excellent stuff here, I gotta tell you both, Pixel_Outlaw and Matt!!!  Cheesy

[attachment lost, please re-upload]
Read July 01, 2006, 02:25:07 AM #24
Pixel_Outlaw

WOW I doubt anyone will be able to beat that score.
I downloaded Indiepath's bloom module but have no idea how and where to use it.

I might make the bullets long rectangels
I might try the bloom or glow filter if someboidy could tell me how to use indiepath's one or offer me a new easy to use one.

I didn't know how much interest this game would create, I just try to make games i would like to play. Matt did a GREAT job on the tunes!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2006, 02:27:25 AM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Read July 05, 2006, 02:07:16 AM #25
relsoft

If you are using OpenGL I coudl make a fast one for you as long as it's in these languages:

Freebasic
C/C++
ASM

If you are using BMAX, I could teach you how to do it and you can make one yourself. :*)

Hello
Read July 13, 2006, 05:04:32 AM #26
Pixel_Outlaw

http://s5.exoload.com/uploads/706/1152769120.zip <-new version, now you can use the x button to destroy all enemy shots onscreen. the meter is built up my scraping.

Read July 16, 2006, 08:16:49 AM #27
Wiebo

WOW I doubt anyone will be able to beat that score.
I downloaded Indiepath's bloom module but have no idea how and where to use it.

if you still want to use that and need help on that then pm me or something, i'll help ya out

Read August 02, 2006, 05:24:39 AM #28
Pixel_Outlaw

Re: New Vector Based Danmaku-Update as of 8/2/06 (link in bottom post)

A minor update: I have added a highscore table, changed bullet layout, and fixed some bugs. I would be interested to see how well you play. If you could record your playing that woud be great. I'm just trying to get a feel for how people might play differently. The bullet removal bomb(x button) should work 100% now.
New Screen:

New Link:
http://s3.exoload.com/uploads/806/1154499720.zip
« Last Edit: August 02, 2006, 05:28:54 AM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Read August 17, 2006, 02:36:13 AM #29
Pixel_Outlaw

Re: Gun Ranger X-Update as of 8/2/06 (link in bottom post)

OK I know that you are probably sick of seeing my game pop to the top with minor updates. With that being said I would like to present something more fruitfull than some other updates.

I'm adding a feature to allow for full color choosing. The colors do NOT have to be my choice anymore. I want this to feel like YOUR customizable game. I think that alowing for full R,G,B color choosing will let you feel more involved. I plan to make some default paletts aswell as a slot for ONE CUSTOM saved palatte. Please do me a huge favor and post pics of your favorite colors and the recipies for each one, If they are good enough they will be added as default options.

the new link with color option
http://exoload.net/uploads/806/1155785269.zip

"bubblegum"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 02:39:22 AM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Read September 01, 2006, 03:41:29 PM #30
Hidden Fortress

Re: Gun Ranger X-Update as of 8/16 Exciting NEW feature.

wow i really like this game alot i'm just not very good at it. well done
Read September 02, 2006, 04:18:55 AM #31
Pixel_Outlaw

Re: Gun Ranger X-Update as of 8/16 Exciting NEW feature.

wow i really like this game alot i'm just not very good at it. well done
Thank you good sir.

Here is a minor update with colorized shots and color paletts built in.

http://www.ex0.biz/uploads/906/1157174303.zip

Read September 26, 2006, 06:31:47 PM #32
Pixel_Outlaw

Re: Gun Ranger X-Finished, link in showcase

Ok the game is now feature complete and this will probably be the last version. It's hosted in the showcae.

Read January 21, 2007, 10:46:44 AM #33
Shoot-em-upper

Where's the showcase?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read January 21, 2007, 09:01:37 PM #34
Pixel_Outlaw

The old one was removed. I'll upload when I get time.

Read June 23, 2008, 02:50:47 PM #35
Pixel_Outlaw

Re: Gun Ranger X-Finished

....So I was searching through the forum and found that I never really uploaded this game again.

Here it is. Enjoy my first game made in Blitzmax.

I wish there were some way to decompile it and clean up the code.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 04:16:01 PM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Read June 24, 2008, 03:15:53 AM #36
the2bears

Re: Gun Ranger X-Finished

A fine example of "early" Pixel_Outlaw Smiley

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 17 queries.