Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/conor/cokane.com/shmupdevarchive/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sylph Wind (aka. the "buzz shooter") boss vids (cosmic stuff!!!!) & 0ther media.
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ Sylph Wind (aka. the "buzz shooter") boss vids (cosmic stuff!!!!) & 0ther media.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Read December 07, 2006, 10:01:58 PM #0
pieslice

Sylph Wind (aka. the "buzz shooter") boss vids (cosmic stuff!!!!) & 0ther media.

The "buzz shooter" has now a title, Sylph Wind. I've also created two videos from the first boss, apparently the first and the last attack forms (the boss has total of three forms).

In his first form the boss is quite pushover, as I managed to clear it without a lot of trouble but during his last attacks, that old bastard nails me (seen in vid 2) and I decided to take him out with a carefully placed smartbomb. The boss explosion is still lame (the basic explosion) but expect things to change in near future.

enjoy the videos anyway...

[attachment lost, please re-upload]
« Last Edit: December 13, 2006, 09:55:20 PM by pieslice »
Read December 13, 2006, 09:59:52 PM #1
the2bears

Re: Sylph Wind (aka. the "buzz shooter") boss vids (cosmic stuff!!!!) & 0ther me

pieslice, great looking stuff you have here!

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read December 14, 2006, 02:45:15 AM #2
Matt McFarland

Re: Sylph Wind (aka. the "buzz shooter") boss vids (cosmic stuff!!!!) & 0ther me

This is looking awesome!  When are you going to have a 1 level demo for us to try out? Smiley

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read December 14, 2006, 01:51:50 PM #3
sonicbhoc

Re: Sylph Wind (aka. the "buzz shooter") boss vids (cosmic stuff!!!!) & 0ther media.

How are you making this game? Are you using a game developing software, coding from scratch or what?

What API are you using? DirectX? SDL with or without OpenGL? What operating systems will you release it on?
Read December 14, 2006, 03:40:52 PM #4
pieslice

I've coded the game engine from scratch with Microsoft Visual C++ 2003. I use OpenGL with Cg shading language for graphics, FMOD Ex for sound and I am planning to use SDL for joystick input.
The game will be released on Windows platforms only, because the Cg shading language is not available on other platforms.
Read December 14, 2006, 04:49:13 PM #5
Matt McFarland

Hmm, does this mean you built your own engine?

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read December 14, 2006, 05:22:58 PM #6
pieslice

Yep!
Read December 14, 2006, 05:23:49 PM #7
Matt McFarland

Yep!

Wow! That's very impressive, how long did it take to put together?

Read December 14, 2006, 05:25:48 PM #8
sonicbhoc

I've coded the game engine from scratch with Microsoft Visual C++ 2003. I use OpenGL with Cg shading language for graphics, FMOD Ex for sound and I am planning to use SDL for joystick input.
The game will be released on Windows platforms only, because the Cg shading language is not available on other platforms.

Well, it uses OpenGL and SDL so maybe I can get it to run in WINE.

What cg shading language are you talking about anyway? Just wondering.
Read December 14, 2006, 05:37:16 PM #9
pieslice

What cg shading language are you talking about anyway? Just wondering.

This one:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cg_toolkit.html
seems to have linux compatible too...

Read December 14, 2006, 05:54:01 PM #10
sonicbhoc

Re: Sylph Wind (aka. the "buzz shooter") boss vids (cosmic stuff!!!!) & 0ther media.

But... you just said it didn't...? Nevermind.

So, since it has linux compatibility, would you consider making a linux port if you've got free time?
Read December 17, 2006, 11:02:39 PM #11
relsoft

Okay, I have a GF2mx 400 card. Would it run on that card? I would love to have a go at it. :*)

Hello
Read December 17, 2006, 11:30:09 PM #12
pieslice

Sorry, I doubt it won't run. I think the minimum is a GeForce FX series or Radeon 9600. If your card supports GL_ARB_VERTEX_PROGRAM and GL_ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM extensions it will most likely run but it will be unplayable because the game is quite fill-rate hog (there's a lot of alphablended layers) so at least GeForce 6600 or Radeon 9800 tier cards are required for smooth framerate (60fps).
Read February 17, 2007, 06:32:05 PM #13
the2bears

Great stuff Smiley  Glad you're still working on this.

Bill

Read February 19, 2007, 03:15:52 AM #14
relsoft

5 thumbs up!!

Hello
Read February 19, 2007, 04:49:42 AM #15
Pixel_Outlaw

Looking good1 It's nice to see that the shots won't get lost in the background. There are too many games that have this flaw.

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read February 22, 2007, 10:21:11 PM #16
pieslice

I fixed all of the gameplay bugs today and added the extend system and the weapon power-up system. Weapons are powered by "leveling" your ship which is done by grazing bullets.

Looks like I've been downgraded to "newbie" again because I removed some posts in this topic... Damn that attachment loss. Angry
Read February 22, 2007, 10:28:06 PM #17
the2bears

I fixed all of the gameplay bugs today and added the extend system and the weapon power-up system. Weapons are powered by "leveling" your ship which is done by grazing bullets.

Looks like I've been downgraded to "newbie" again because I removed some posts in this topic... Damn that attachment loss. Angry

Could be fixed by posting a playable demo Smiley

Bill

Read February 22, 2007, 11:31:13 PM #18
relsoft

GF2MX support please. Please....

Hello
Read February 23, 2007, 06:45:12 AM #19
pieslice

I apologize but that's simply impossible. In terms of GPU power, GF2MX is inferior even to previous gen consoles, namely the PS2, DC, Cube and it's definitely inferior XBox (XBox has tweaked GeForce3). There's no way I can tweak the code to run on such hardware, I'm sorry.
Actually you can't run even Shikigami No Shiro 3 on GF2MX, and that game's visually inferior if compared to Sylph Wind. In fact the Sylph Wind looks better than most of the commercial shooters. Cool
Read April 10, 2007, 10:39:36 PM #20
pieslice

a new video with correct stage bgm.
Read April 10, 2007, 11:38:23 PM #21
relsoft

Man! This looks awesome! Can't wait for a demo. ;*)

Hello
Read April 10, 2007, 11:41:02 PM #22
Pixel_Outlaw

This looks professional so far, great job!

How do you recieve damage?

Read April 11, 2007, 01:03:06 AM #23
MSW

a new video with correct stage bgm.

Looks really good. Smiley

But...

Not to be harsh, but I don't see any reason why the game absolutely needs the CG shader effects. Actualy, from the video, it looks like one could get the same graphical presentation with sprites on top of a prerendered video background...but thats just me $.02 Tongue

***"SLIDE!"***
Read April 11, 2007, 01:16:35 AM #24
relsoft

Why would you do preprendered when you could do it real-time?  Using the 3d approach to the levels would give the engine leeway on how to scroll the bg. You could change the camera movement depending on the state of the game.  There's also the problem with boss-milking, some people in these types of games like to milk the boss for level ups. So you do it with prerendered stuff and you get loads of wasted hd space as the boss battle could go on for a very long time. With realtime rendering, you could just script the camera to run around in circles in a particular part of the mesh.

As for CG part, I would guess piesclice would want to mae his game really stand out from the rest of half-baked indie(or commercial) shooters. I mysleft dont like the shader part since my comp wont be able to run his game but how many people use gf2 these days?

Hello
Read April 11, 2007, 01:50:04 AM #25
MSW

Now hang on a second. I said that one could get the SAME "uber pixel shaded" graphical presentation useing video loops... This was to point out that all that graphical prowess doesn't seem needed, that the game could still play the same with a smaller polycount background mesh and reduced textures that would run on a GF2. Sure it wouldn't look exactly the same, but it would be capable of running on a larger variety of hardware.

***"SLIDE!"***
Read April 11, 2007, 01:53:23 AM #26
relsoft

I apologize but that's simply impossible. In terms of GPU power, GF2MX is inferior even to previous gen consoles, namely the PS2, DC, Cube and it's definitely inferior XBox (XBox has tweaked GeForce3). There's no way I can tweak the code to run on such hardware, I'm sorry.
Actually you can't run even Shikigami No Shiro 3 on GF2MX, and that game's visually inferior if compared to Sylph Wind. In fact the Sylph Wind looks better than most of the commercial shooters. Cool

Hello
Read April 11, 2007, 08:02:33 PM #27
pieslice

How do you recieve damage?

There's no damage, but a small hitbox, which clearly visible as emerald bulge, in the center of the ship. I think it's visible in the video too.
The bar on the left side of the screen is not a health bar but energy bar which indicates when you level up. The bar rises by scratching bullets and when it's full a lightning weapon is discharged.
A level-up causes brief invincibility window (aka. shield), at when you can dot eat bullets for about 1.5 seconds for extra energy income and possibly continuously level up, which will increase your score multiplier every time you manage to level up without losing the shield.
At every 100 (up to 900) level-ups you'll be awarded with main weapon upgrades and an extra bomb item (up to 5 can be hoarded, bombs awarded as surplus are worth of nice score bonus).

Another main thing on scoring is chain value, which is increased by scratching bullets. A chain counter runs out about in one second if you haven't scratched a bullet. A chain counter timer can be extended by shooting an enemy but it will not increase the chain value and will not give you any extra points.
After level-up you have about 1.5 seconds time to scratch a bullet before the chain runs out. A chain score is multiplied by the score multiplier which is increased by continuously leveling up.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2007, 08:14:11 PM by pieslice »
Read April 11, 2007, 08:04:49 PM #28
Pixel_Outlaw

So the main focus is on scoring then?

Read April 11, 2007, 08:07:16 PM #29
pieslice

See modified post... Roll Eyes
Read April 26, 2007, 08:24:07 PM #30
pieslice

A music teaser. This is stage 3 bgm where you fly over snow-capped mountain range high in stratosphere.
Techno pulse mixed with piano arabesques accompanied by film-score like string sequences near the end of the tune...
hope you'll like this one.
Read April 26, 2007, 09:09:17 PM #31
Shoot-em-upper

This is very interesting.  When do you expect to release it?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read April 27, 2007, 11:01:10 PM #32
pieslice

Pictures of bosses 2 & 3 posing.

The dot-eating with shield has been removed from the game and the energy is gathered from bullets while shielded similar way as without shielding, just by grazing bullets, but it can be done more easily since you got a brief invincibility window after each level-up (you level up when you have filled your energy gauge by grazing).
Also you can ram enemies while shielded, and each enemy destroyed by invincible contact gives you an energy bonus of 10% of your maximum energy.

Except to see some new some video footage soon. The levels are under frenzy construction because of the recently finished level editor tool. It's a lot faster than pure scripting, although the ease of increasing visual detail in levels might prolong level creation time.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 07:36:28 AM by pieslice »
Read April 28, 2007, 12:27:35 AM #33
Shoot-em-upper

Wow! Those are some sweet enemies!  They're perfect for the XBOX360!  Now I really can't wait!

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read April 28, 2007, 04:33:31 AM #34
Pixel_Outlaw

Yeah it looks like they have a coat of polyurethane on them. Me likes teh shiiiiiny.

Read April 28, 2007, 02:58:12 PM #35
Matt McFarland

Looking really good!  Shocked

Read April 28, 2007, 03:19:41 PM #36
9_6

Looks schweeet!
Giv demo now!
Read April 28, 2007, 10:35:00 PM #37
jony

Now hang on a second. I said that one could get the SAME "uber pixel shaded" graphical presentation useing video loops... This was to point out that all that graphical prowess doesn't seem needed, that the game could still play the same with a smaller polycount background mesh and reduced textures that would run on a GF2. Sure it wouldn't look exactly the same, but it would be capable of running on a larger variety of hardware.

Not commenting on whether or not it 'should' be done this way but: it would be possible to make the 3D scene and make a video of the 3D scene and then have that run in the background.  This should produce the same (or nearly the same) effect as actually having the 3D scene beneath the player.

Great looking game, good luck finishing it up!
Read April 29, 2007, 08:17:03 AM #38
pieslice

Not commenting on whether or not it 'should' be done this way but: it would be possible to make the 3D scene and make a video of the 3D scene and then have that run in the background.  This should produce the same (or nearly the same) effect as actually having the 3D scene beneath the player.

Great looking game, good luck finishing it up!

Having 3 gigs of FMW in a game is not a way to go.
Read June 23, 2007, 08:26:01 PM #39
pieslice

A bunch of new screenshots from the newest version.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 17 queries.