Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » Previous SHMUP-DEV Competitions » AutoFire 2007 SHOOTER Competition [COMPLETED]
|-+ Lack of settings on recent games ...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read February 02, 2007, 02:30:50 AM #0
fsFreak

Lack of settings on recent games ...

There're a lot of cool entries for the compo, and I want to say thank you to all developers who've entered! It's been a long time since I had this much fun! Loads of games to download and play Smiley.

But... seriously. In future releases, please include gamepad/stick support. I personally can NOT play a shoot'em up with the keyboard. It's simple impossible. It's like trying to drive your car with something else than the steeringwheel and the pedals Smiley

And if your development environment won't let you use the gamepad, then at least include some key configuration menus. What seems perfectly normal to you probably doesn't to someone else. (Believe me, cause I learned this the 'hard'' way) ...

And if your development environment won't let you do this either, then it's time to change it into something that will Smiley

Read February 02, 2007, 07:41:33 AM #1
motorherp

Re: Lack of settings on recent games ...

Although the remapping of keys isn't difficult it does require an extra level of indirection which really has to be planned from the beginning.  I think for someone who is still learning the ropes of games programming this will be the furthest thing from their minds at the outset of a project.  You also have to keep in mind that to present such functionality to the user requires the development of a more advanced front-end which for beginners will likely be no trivial task either.  Joypad support is a whole different barrel of fish too since keyboards are pretty standard and thus easy to accomodate whereas joypads come in all kinds of flavours and configurations which can make them tricky to handle properly depending on which libraries you use.  Basically what I'm trying to say is to be patient since such tasks can mean a major deviation for people just starting out which is time I think better spent concentrating on the game itself until they feel more confident.  You're right though thats its something to keep in mind and something people should think about including in future projects as their skills increase.  It definately adds to the level of proffesionalism of the game and makes it more friendly and thus enjoyable for the user.  In the mean time though you could always give Joy2Key a try  Grin.

Edit:  PS - I loved your entry to the compo  laugh2
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 08:35:37 AM by motorherp »

Read February 02, 2007, 08:15:33 AM #2
Crimson Knight

I can play shooters with the keyboard, IF the movement keys are the arrow ones. I hated keyboard schemes in shooters, but I slowly got used to some of them. Maybe you should too. Smiley Everyone's not used to the same controls, but we can all get used to them at some point, to some degree.

I have joystick support in my entry for the compo, but to be honest I haven't fully tested it. =p
Read February 02, 2007, 10:54:08 PM #3
oNyx

JoyToKey to the rescue!

http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/win95/util/se101657.html

Most useful program ever Cheesy

edit: motorherp mentioned it already... oops.
Read February 03, 2007, 12:10:03 AM #4
fsFreak

Wow.. sounds good.. and I do recognize the name. Why didn't I think of it Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 19 queries.