Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Akuchizoku (COMPLETE)

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Read September 27, 2007, 02:06:18 AM #80
Shoot-em-upper

Re: Akuchizoku (Updated 29-07-07 with 7 new screenshots)

Much improved.  The first one looked like a 70s test pattern.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 30, 2007, 02:38:29 PM #81
9_6

The clock is ticking!
Giv demo!
Read September 30, 2007, 02:49:37 PM #82
cactus

I still have seven hours left, right?  Tongue

I'm coding and spriting so hard that I'm getting sweaty. Still hope to reach my goal of three levels, but it's gonna be a close one... Do I get disqualified if I'm a few minutes late? I know Monokey got away with it last time. (Sorry for asking, but I couldn't work on the game yesterday because my girlfriend got home from germany, and I just had to see her. Which threw my work schedule down the drain.)
Read September 30, 2007, 03:04:09 PM #83
X-0ut

I don't think anyone will mind if its a little late, but hopefully a judge will see this post very soon and confirm.
Read September 30, 2007, 04:27:06 PM #84
motorherp

Well I wont be doing the judgeing preperations at midnight on the dot if that's what your asking.  It'll have to be when I get back from work on the monday so you have until then.

Read October 01, 2007, 06:29:12 AM #85
X-0ut

Re: Akuchizoku (COMPLETE)

As I expected its oozing gameplay Smiley
Havent had much time to play yet but after I've taken the kids to school I'll give it more time.
Good job!
Read October 01, 2007, 06:32:34 AM #86
JollyFish

I won't be sleeping tonight.  Grin
Read October 01, 2007, 10:14:38 AM #87
Five Damned Dollarz

Ok, Cactus is having major loading problems and told me to link to an updated version of the game [he forgot the banners Tongue]
So, here it is:
http://www.willhostforfood.com/files/167272/akuchizoku_compo.zip
Read October 01, 2007, 01:22:34 PM #88
cactus

Okay, the site seems to load a bit better now. Dunno what's up but it would only load a very small piece of the pages before...

I'll take care of all the bugs, and some major changes will happen to the game as I continue to develop it, but the current release will be the compo version.

Known bugs:
-Don't try to view the credits or the menu will stop working (press esc to get back to a working menu)
-The music is bound to be buggy. I hate OGG files :/

Clarifications:
-Level 3 has a time limit, dunno if it works or not. Tongue
-Press space to skip cutscenes.
-Free play lets you play any level with any character.
-Story mode can only be played with the chopper (currently, will change in future versions).
-Difficulty changes how many bosses and enemies you will face per level.
-Some bosses have small tricks you need to figure out to beat. Try to analyze their behaviour and think of a strategy to beat them.

Controls:

Chopper
Z - Shot
X - Missile
C - Rage (once per life)

Skull dude
Z - Aim
X - Aim / Rage (once per life, and only in mode 3)
C - Switch Mode
V - Shoot

Chick
Z - Throw aiming thing
X - Retract aiming thing
C - Shoot laser
V - Rage (once per life)

Sorry about the lack of polish :/
Read October 02, 2007, 12:17:12 AM #89
monoRAIL

When I first played this I found it very confusing, and the blocky graphics were a little offputting. But as I played it more it really started to grow on me. I particularly like the rocket ship in free play mode - it's very satisfying to stick your options on an enemy and spray bullets into them. That's a great options system. As I played it more I was able to spot the bullets and distinguish the dangerous stuff from the background and definitely found myself getting better at it. The music in stage 3 is really nice.

This game has a charm that takes time to appreciate, I look forward to the final version with all the gameplay modes and levels.
Read October 02, 2007, 05:06:27 AM #90
Hornet600S

Plays nicely  laugh

Though I got two problems:
1. the latest version from the shout-box-link won't work here:

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Key Press Event for <Enter> Key
for object menu_obj:

COMPILATION ERROR in code action
Error in code at line 46:
   }

at position 2: Symbol } expected.

2. the "official" download works with one flaw:
I got two monitors, it switches the FIRST monitor to 640x480, keeps the resolution of the SECOND (1280x960), and places a small 640x480 windows at coord 1280x0, so it appears at the top left corner of the SECOND monitor  Huh?
I remember I had the same effect with some other game from this forum.

Anyway, very nice work!

"When the Amiga came out, everyone at Apple was scared as hell."
(Jean-Louis Gassée - Head of Macintosh development at Apple)
Read October 02, 2007, 06:16:26 AM #91
monoRAIL

Hornet - I've got 2 monitors, 1 widescreen and 1 4:3 and the game works correctly for me, playing fullscreen on the widescreen monitor which I then adjust to 4:3 ratio to correctly scale the game.

Make sure you've set the monitor you want fullscreen games to run on as your primary monitor in the windows display settings. Your widescreen monitor should have some controls for resizing non-widescreen inputs.
Read October 02, 2007, 06:35:07 AM #92
Hornet600S

To monoRAIL:
no wide-screens here, just two good old 4:3 19" CRTs.
Display settings are all ok. The game seems to find the correct primary display, since it changes its display settings. But has problems getting the right X coordinates.
As if it would assume that my secondary monitor would start the logical coordinate system (secondary left, primary right instead of primary left, seconary right).

Well, just found out how to "fix" it. I just changed my display order. Now the secondary is positioned left (logical coord from 0-1279) and the primary right (logical coords from 1280 to 2559) and and voila: the game changes primary monitors settings, starts at 1280x0 and is therefore visible on my primary screen  Grin
But have to change it after playing: moving windows to the left to appear at the right screen isn't very practiable...

But veeery strange!

"When the Amiga came out, everyone at Apple was scared as hell."
(Jean-Louis Gassée - Head of Macintosh development at Apple)
Read October 02, 2007, 08:47:49 AM #93
cactus

I recorded a video guide to the first level. I die a few times, but it's mostly because I had to run the game in 160x120 windowed, so it was hard to see everything that was going on.

(In hindsight, I should probably have skipped the intro part Tongue)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtysOcyoQbs
Read October 02, 2007, 10:59:09 AM #94
Ichigo Jam

When I tried playing story mode on easy, there seemed to be a bug where the 2bears didn't show up - I just kept flying against the background for a few minutes with no enemies. Then I got bored and quit Smiley
I then tried on hard, and everything seemed fine (although as usual I died to the 2bears). So I tried easy again - same problem.
This was playing the first uploaded version (w/out the compo splashscreens) if that makes any difference.

But great work overall! I really like the retro style of the game and the bizarre plot and enemies!
I might suggest splitting the first level in two though - I think 6 minutes (judging from the youtube video) is a bit too long, personally. (The furthest I've managed to get so far is the "Vomit Unit")
Read October 03, 2007, 08:23:40 AM #95
motorherp

Is there a version of this that displays the compo banners at the start?  I might have grabbed the wrong version.

Read October 03, 2007, 11:37:04 AM #96
cactus

This one is supposed to (as found from FDD post):
http://www.willhostforfood.com/files/167272/akuchizoku_compo.zip
Read October 03, 2007, 06:55:08 PM #97
Adigun A. Polack

Thank you, my man cactus!!  I did not notice that myself, and I just noticed the banners showing in the version from which you just now presented the link from your most recent post here.  Well done, because I just wanted to make thoroughly sure that this game was FULLY qualified for the results coming up soon!!!  Grin=b

I thought that the game Akuchizoku was VERY tight and solid myself, and yes, I will fully review and rate this game *solely* on the basis on how well it actually plays, just like I do all of the other games of this competition.  Just making sure I play as fair as ever and giving all entrants equal opportunity, since I am a first-time judge in this compo indeed.  Wink
Read December 20, 2007, 07:54:32 PM #98
Tidegear

Hey Cactus, any updates on how the final version of the game is coming along?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 18 queries.