Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Vergeltung (somehow completed more or less)

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Read May 28, 2007, 05:12:23 PM #0
Hornet600S

Vergeltung (somehow completed more or less)

First of all: it's not polished in any way, as usual we got delayed...
Second of all: delete the settings.xml file, it is corrupt!

Edge couldn't help me the last month due to personal reasons, so I had to come up with enemy patterns etc. by myself  Tongue
We'll continue working on the game. At least most of the engine and modelling is done.

Some of what's missing:
- smart-bombs
- (nearly all) textures
- hiscore saving
- interesting level design
- tutorial
- a picture of Edge  laugh

Some of what I forgot to modify before posting in the very last minute. Here's a link to the corrected version:

http://www.goldencode.de/vg/Vergeltung.zip

- Colors of the bullets/options are vice-versa
- Musik doesn't change when boss enters
- Boss hitpoints are extremely low
- Player starts with 3 options

How to play:

- you can get up to 3 options by collection red or blue enemy bullets. When you collect ten of one color in a row you get one option. Red means Spread-Shot, blue is a laser.
You can only collect those bullets when NOT firing.

- you may change the options' formation

- you may "drop" options. They fire by their own then and will return into the formation after 5 seconds.

- since the bombs are not finished there is nothing more to say... When it's finished it will work in a SoldierBlade style

I'm going to bed now! Tomorrow I'll just play all those other nice entries   Cheesy

-----------------------------
Well, next try (first one was Strafed (http://www.shmup-dev.com/forum/index.php?topic=247.0)).

Count me in. Chances are good that this time my normal work won't interfere. And all my taxes are paid - so the state should leave me alone too  Tongue

Luckily my girlfriend just found my copy of Cinema4D and, in contrast to myself, she is actually able to produce something useful with it...
Perhaps Paladin reads this and joins us too.

Good luck to everybody!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 11:37:14 PM by Hornet600S »

"When the Amiga came out, everyone at Apple was scared as hell."
(Jean-Louis Gassée - Head of Macintosh development at Apple)
Read May 28, 2007, 05:23:15 PM #1
Adigun A. Polack

Re: Betty BOOM

Sounds to me like you really got the goods to give this competition a go, Hornet600S.  And you are *definitely* accepted to create your entry, also!!  Grin !

Even though the main theme of this compo will NOT be revealed until this Friday (June 1, 2007), you may get started on your project immediately.  I personally wish you the absolute best on creating Betty BOOM and on winning this compo, too!!!  d=cool1=b
Read May 29, 2007, 02:24:45 PM #2
Hornet600S

Good news: Edge joined the team - so (level-) design and 2D artwork are in good hands Grin

Read May 30, 2007, 12:41:08 AM #3
Shoot-em-upper

Strafed looks pretty interesting.  Is it finished?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read May 30, 2007, 05:24:38 AM #4
Hornet600S

No  Cry
The engine was running fine at last, but we got so delayed that practically there's no content.
And when the contest was over, motivation was gone.

Read May 30, 2007, 04:13:10 PM #5
Adigun A. Polack

No  Cry
The engine was running fine at last, but we got so delayed that practically there's no content.
And when the contest was over, motivation was gone.

I am so truly sorry to hear that.  cry2  And loss of motivation sure feels like disaster indeed.  That is why I want you to STEP UP your motivation in this new contest, Hornet600S... and with plenty of new resources and Edge joining you in the creation of your project, I am sure that you can pull through successfully!!!  Grin

Wish you and Edge the very best, and I am looking forward to playing your newest project soon!!!  Wink=b !
Read May 30, 2007, 05:39:11 PM #6
Edge

Thanks Adigun. I am really looking forward to this compo, and I am very curious what the final theme is.  Grin

But I am sure I can trust the administration that it will be quiet open for different interpretation and a lot of gaming styles. So that we can build a game the way we want and still stay within the given theme restrictions.

And good luck and lots of fun to everybody joining.  Wink
Read May 30, 2007, 08:43:36 PM #7
Shoot-em-upper

Of all of the entries in all of the contests that this site has had, what are your three favorites?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read May 31, 2007, 02:02:02 AM #8
the2bears

Of all of the entries in all of the contests that this site has had, what are your three favorites?

Great question for a new topic Wink

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read June 04, 2007, 07:17:46 PM #9
Shoot-em-upper

You're right.  I'll start a topic on that.  I'll do it AFTER this contest, though, so people will have more choices.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 27, 2007, 11:52:34 AM #10
Hornet600S

Re: Vergeltung

First of all a big sorry, but by now there won't be any screenshots or demos. Since I decided to code all by myself and not to use any helper libraries like SDL (in fact I use this compo to recode and improve all my own libraries), it will take a few more days until something functional will be available.
But, thanks to Edge and Sandra, we can show some of the design work.

The Name:
Now it is "Vergeltung".

The Story:
In the distant future...

The fate of mankind is controlled by a totalitarian regime.
Subjugation to it formed a new form of religious fanatism.
"GODDESS", the unfallibly bionic super-computer, controls every aspect of life and fate.
The chosen ones, the most uxorious and loyal believers, are allowed to become one with the robot.
During this so called "consecration" or "fusion" their bodies are frozen into crystals to be conserved and prepared to be connected to "GODDESS" to widen its knowledge and consciousness.

All those defying the system or "GODDESS" commands are put to death as heretics.

You are a member of the "Judges", a special unit hunting and executing heretics.
But when one day your hole family is put to trial, you realize the evil aspects of the regime and decide to question "GODDESS" decisions.
As a result you and all your relevants are immediately executed.

10 year later:

GODDESS' EED (Early Enemy Detection) circuits detect a U.F.O. appearing out of nowhere. Additional checks against the internal space-ship-databases conclude that it is the combat-craft you were using when protecting your family ten years ago.
Even though GODDESS finds no suitable explanation it accepts the fact, that you returned from the deaths to get vengeance (Vergeltung)...

So you're controlling some kind of ghost-ship. Of course the graphical design of the options etc. reflects this.

The Options System:

1. Options are "produced" by the player-ship by absorbing enemy-bullets of different colors. Each time a bullet is aborbed, an option-gauge is filled step by step. When it's full, a new option is spawned. If a bullet of a different color is absorbed, the gauge is resetted.

2. Each color signifies a different option-type with a different weapon.

3. Options can be arranged into different formations.

4. Options can be "dropped". The last option is placed on the player's current position and stays there for 5 seconds while firing independantly.

5. Options can be transformed into some kind of smart-bomb. Of course each option type has its own smart-bomb-effect.

The Score Multiplyer:

The internals of the multiplyer system are rather complex, but you can reduce it to this:

1. The multiplyer raises the more enemies are destroyed in less time.

2. The multiplyer state immediately affects the enemies' attack patterns. So, the difficulty raises the better the player is.

3. Some game events are triggered by the multiplyer level. So there might be events (like special enemies or additional boss attacks) that only "good" players will see.

Enemies:

By now the designs for 7 enemy types and 1 boss are completed, all with very different attack patterns.

I'll upload some design pictures soon.

Read June 27, 2007, 12:07:20 PM #11
Hornet600S

First level, phase 1:

First level, phase 2:

The player's ship:

Red option:

Blue option:

Design of an enemy:

3D object of this enemy:

Read June 27, 2007, 03:14:11 PM #12
Edge

@Hornet:
heh, you were first here to awnser in this thread. But yeah that's basically the same I would have posted. Smiley

One additional thing about increasing the multiplyer:
It is increased by collecting gold items, which are dropped by every enemy. And sometimes there are ways to let enemies drop more of such items.
Read June 27, 2007, 06:16:47 PM #13
Adigun A. Polack

First of all, Hornet600S, I just now noticed that you changed your contest project title from Betty BOOM to Vergeltung... and I think the new name is *definitely* an excellent one.  I would say keep the new name, you know!?  Grin

Secondly, about the story you just put up, while it does have some religious overtones in it, it IS quite as damn interesting as Ikaruga did from six years ago... that is what it sounds like to me!!!  d=Wink=b

(Speaking of which, you can access the game story on Ikaruga by clicking here now, please.)

Third, you and Edge are doing such an outstanding job so far on thinking up with unique yet truly fascinating ways of how both the Options System and Score Multiplier are to be done on your project, and as such, if this all gets executed successfully and gives a WHOLE lot of thrill and accessibility to the player, you two MIGHT have a sheer shot at nailing this competition pat!!!  grin2 !!

And finally, according to the screenshots, the graphics could REALLY use some stepping up, and so I recommend you to click right here for my newly-created thread featuring some excellent graphics tutorials to inspire you greatly on your important contest entry, ok?  Cool=b

Hornet600S, I wish you and Edge such splendid success on winning this compo, and have a whole lot of fun while you two are at it, too!!!  afro1 !
Read June 27, 2007, 07:44:06 PM #14
Hornet600S

Hi Adigun,

don't forget, our team consists of three people (until now). My girl-friend Sandra is working on the 3D models.
Anyway, thanks for the flowers!
Those pictures are just design sketches. As I said it will take a few more days until we can present real screenshots.
By the way, in my server runs a GeForce 6150, so it will for sure work well on your machine too  Wink

Read June 29, 2007, 02:32:36 AM #15
Adigun A. Polack

I am sure your project will (and should) be working on my computer, Hornet600S, and so no worries here!!  Grin
Read July 27, 2007, 04:04:30 PM #16
Hornet600S

Finally a couple of screenshots.

Here we're experimenting with various attack patterns:

Here's the current main menu:

And this is what happens if the shoot-frequency of an enemy is slightly too high...  Grin

« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:18:04 AM by Hornet600S »

Read July 27, 2007, 07:50:00 PM #17
Shoot-em-upper

That last photo looks like it would be fun to play.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 07, 2007, 05:50:11 AM #18
Hornet600S

Here's another enemy model:

Read August 08, 2007, 02:10:14 AM #19
Shoot-em-upper

A mosquito with a flute for a mouth?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 08, 2007, 07:03:31 AM #20
failrate

More like a lazer-blaster, innit?  I like that model.
Read August 08, 2007, 07:27:44 AM #21
pixelizr

Machineblowgun. Wink
Read August 14, 2007, 06:07:16 AM #22
Hornet600S

Glad you like the well-equipped-mosquito  Smiley

Here's a screenshot of some homing missiles too stupid to get me...  Tongue

Read August 16, 2007, 04:42:49 AM #23
Shoot-em-upper

Nice cloud/water contrast.  I've been meaning to ask, what did you use to model those enemies?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 16, 2007, 09:06:06 AM #24
Hornet600S

Water and clouds are still rather beta, though the style won't change.
The water will get some waves and refraction (and some other little eyecandy, today to come, maybe  Smiley )
Edge did some models with Blender. Many models were made by my girl-friend using Maxon Cinema 4D. It ships with a nice tool named BodyPaint which allows creating textures by directly painting on the model. I tested it a few days ago and was able to texture the mosquito-enemy in less then 30 minutes. Well, the result is not overwhelming, but more than good enough for someone who normally creates coders art... Wasn't the cheapest program I ever bought - but I can set it off against my taxes  Grin
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 09:07:43 AM by Hornet600S »

Read August 17, 2007, 07:20:51 PM #25
Hornet600S

The water has been enriched with some additional eye-candy:

- bubbles
- EVERY in game-object (every enemy-bullet, player-weapon-shot, extra-diamond, any other game-object) produces ripples on the water surface when crossing it.

Read August 17, 2007, 08:55:22 PM #26
berilium

shocked2 Oh!! Those screenshots are fantastic! I can see the objects' reflextion on the water. However, won't bullets' reflection be possibly confused for real ones?... well, I think playing the actual game is a different story. Is getting great!
Read August 17, 2007, 09:20:49 PM #27
Hornet600S

However, won't bullets' reflection be possibly confused for real ones?

The water reflection will be distorted by a refraction effect in the final version.
And the hole reflection will be more subtle.
So there shouldn't be any confusion.
Though it might be interesting to actually use the reflection in the level design: to confuse, trap and fool the player  evil2

Read August 18, 2007, 10:17:05 AM #28
Hornet600S

Some nicer screenshots:

Read August 19, 2007, 07:13:25 PM #29
Shoot-em-upper

What is that?  Some kind of elongated explosion?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 20, 2007, 07:04:45 AM #30
Hornet600S

No. Just a very long part of an enemy that just passed away...

Read August 23, 2007, 07:35:39 PM #31
Shoot-em-upper

Part of it, huh?  Makes me wonder how big the whole thing is.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 23, 2007, 07:58:42 PM #32
berilium

No. Just a very long part of an enemy that just passed away...

I imagine that was a tentacle-part thing?
Read August 26, 2007, 09:29:02 AM #33
Hornet600S

No, it's not a tentacle - though there are tentacles, but I'm still working on the suction cups.
The explosions on the screenshots are from an energy barrier another enemy is trailing behind. It is destroyed when the coresponding enemy is killed.

Read August 28, 2007, 12:08:26 PM #34
Hornet600S

Here are some evil tentacles (still without suction cups Tongue, but with bump-mapping...  Cheesy )

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:17:04 PM by Hornet600S »

Read August 28, 2007, 01:42:47 PM #35
Hornet600S

Added smoke. For now only the missiles are using it, but like the other stuff like engine-lights and lamps you can attach smoke emitters to every object.
Now we've to finish those tons of still missing textures...  Tongue

« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 01:44:21 PM by Hornet600S »

Read September 01, 2007, 12:10:00 PM #36
Hornet600S

Here's a little movie:
http://www.goldencode.de/shmup/vergeltung.avi

That's just my test-level, to check performance and enemy patterns.
Recorded with FRAPS (unregistered), that's why it durates only 30 seconds  Tongue.
Some models are still missing, they are replaced by little yellow rectangles.
Still working on most textures too.

Due to FRAPS the performace on this video is degraded to around 20 FPS.
Because of that the engine reduces smoke and overall particle density to compensate. So it looks better in reality  Grin

Normally it runs smooth, with all features activated, at a resolution of 1024x768 even on old Radeon 9600 cards (between 90-150 FPS, the movie was made on that machine).
It is fill-rate-limited, so even on my notebook with 500MHz and a Mobile Radeon I get >120 FPS. And it is still full debug code  Wink
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:24:12 PM by Hornet600S »

Read September 02, 2007, 08:50:30 PM #37
Adigun A. Polack

Telling from this video, Hornet600S, it looks very good!!  Wink  Also, while it is hard to tell from parts of the preview, it *still* looks fun... and that is important!!  Cool

Keep going on the game... you are doing a wonderful job so far!!!  police=b
Read September 03, 2007, 06:39:26 AM #38
cactus

That looked a lot more polished than what I would've guessed from the screenshots. But as Adigun says, during parts of the preview it's really hard to tell what's going on. I think it's all the collectable bits that just seems to fill the screen untill you can't see much of anything. Maybe you can have them fade away after a second or two?

Still. It looks very fun to play and you've got a rather original style going there. And the graphics are impressive. Keep it up wink2
Read September 03, 2007, 12:47:10 PM #39
Edge

This is just a test level, that's why all enemy types spawn that much items. During the actual game there are suppossed to be way less collectibles. The small ones will only be spawned in certain situations or by certain enemies.

Anyway thanks for the positive feedback. Smiley

EDIT:
Though letting the small ones fading away is maybe a good idea anyway,... hmmm...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 12:49:33 PM by Edge »
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 19 queries.