Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ ProtoType II (Complete)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down
Read June 02, 2007, 07:44:03 AM #0
X-0ut

ProtoType II (Complete)

Ok final compo version is available here (~55mb)

Depending on how the game is received I wish to continue development for a further 7 levels and plan to release it through a portal.
Hope you all enjoy this version of the game! Smiley

For those that find it too tough, heres the cheat code for entry during the castle soft logo:
Left, Left, Fire1(z), Right, Right, Fire2(x), Up, Up, Fire3(c), Down, Down.

//EDIT - original post//
I'll be entering, probably make a standard scrolling shmup in the gradius/rtype style.

Good luck to everyone thats entering - hope you get your games completed.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 06:40:33 PM by X-0ut »
Read June 02, 2007, 08:15:41 AM #1
failrate

Re: Empty

Cool, I love just about every entry into the Gradius seres.  Have you ever checked out the C64 game Armalyte?  It's rock-hard, but it has an extremely awesome option, maybe even better than the Gradius option.  I'd almost prefer the Gradius difficulty/balance with the Armalyte option.

Looking forward to your entry Cheesy
Read June 02, 2007, 02:06:17 PM #2
X-0ut

Yep I actually completed Armalyte back in the day Smiley

I've realised I could probably do with a musician or two, if anyone's up for the job don't hesitate to contact me.
Read June 02, 2007, 04:03:24 PM #3
Adigun A. Polack

X-0ut, if memory serves me correctly, I believe your game ProtoType actually won the grand prize in the very 1st Shmup-dev compo, where the theme was “Horizontal Shmup with Boss”.  Yep, those were your glory days indeed... but can you do it all again with your newest project called Empty?  Let’s find out as I wish you all of the best of splendid success, man!!!  d=Grin=b

Do an excellent job!!!  Wink !
Read June 02, 2007, 04:36:15 PM #4
Shoot-em-upper

Care to elaborate?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 02, 2007, 07:20:52 PM #5
X-0ut

What I need is someone who can make a couple of tracks, ie game-music, title page, hiscore. You know the drill.
Failing finding someone, I'll either have to try and buy some tracks (probably), or give it a whirl myself. (Not a good idea!) Smiley
Read June 03, 2007, 12:32:48 AM #6
Shoot-em-upper

I would suggest AAP after hearing his Native Legend Shorakee tracks, but I think that he's working on his own entry at the moment.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 03, 2007, 01:33:01 AM #7
Adigun A. Polack

As for me, nah, I am not gonna be entering in this competition, although I *am* gonna be doing the judging of all the finished entries on this competition along with Tim W., Charlie, and motorherp.  I have been in two Shmup-dev compos and I been left exhausted from entering them, I must tell you!!  shocked1  As for my latest project called Native Legend Shorakee, listen, I am still working on it most definitely as well!!!  Wink=b

And X-0ut, as a judge that I am, while I cannot create the music for you on this project (because then that would be unfair to the other contestants/teams entering!  Sad ), I WILL show you some music creation programs with which to build your own original hot tunes:

• Sound Club
                  http://www.bluemoon.ee/history/scwin/index.html

• ModPlug Tracker
                  http://www.modplug.com/

• MadTracker
                  http://www.madtracker.org/

• Renoise
                  http://www.renoise.com/

Be sure to try them to help you out.  Alternatively, you are free to hire a musician (besides me) to assist you in your project... it is up to you now, X-0ut, however you want to do it.  Grin !

Just letting you all know right now.  cool1

(One more thing: please be sure to create your own original music, *without* using any of my own.  I just wanted to add that down in the spirit of fairness in this competition.  Smiley ! )
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:46:57 AM by Adigun A. Polack »
Read June 03, 2007, 07:57:12 AM #8
X-0ut

ok thanks Adigun, I have used modplug before. Not that good at this sort of thing.
For some reason I seem to be skilled in drawing but not music.
Anyway, I will give it a try Smiley
Read June 03, 2007, 03:31:41 PM #9
Adigun A. Polack

Terrific for you!!  Wink=b !

And one vital clue for you, my man: my personal favorite music creation program happens to be Sound Club, and this is an outstanding piano-roll editor which lets you select your instruments/percussions and in a way “draw” your own musical patterns using them, so to speak!  Cheesy !  Have a look at this screenshot and you will see what I mean:

Plus, the most awesome thing about it is that you can use AS MANY instruments/percussions (also called channels) as you want for your music, and export your thing to a custom .WAV file, and also to a couple of other music formats: .MOD (up to 8 channels max) and .S3M (up to 16 channels max!).  Unfortunately it does not let you save to .OGG, .IT, and .XM music formats, but that is alright when this whole program gives you a whopping 500 instruments/percussions to work with with such outstanding ease of use that I fell so deeply in love with since I have first used it a long time ago!!!  You should try it!!!  d=grin2=b
Read June 03, 2007, 10:28:53 PM #10
X-0ut

I spent the whole day getting used to renoise, only to find out I need to register to render my song LOL
Oh well.

Its a real nice tracker though.
Read June 04, 2007, 01:17:17 AM #11
Adigun A. Polack

I understand, X-0ut.  I understand.  Smiley !

Still, I personally recommend Sound Club for Windows... it was once a shareware, but now it is a freeware program.  Plus, makes it so much easier to create your songs and export them for use in your game projects... especially once you used it quite a few times, you know?

Way better than any tracker I have used, I believe!!!  Grin
Read June 04, 2007, 01:43:10 AM #12
Shoot-em-upper

Freeware, eh?  I'm all for it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 04:07:47 PM by Shoot-em-upper »

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 04, 2007, 07:41:29 AM #13
motorherp

If you get really stuck with the music let me know.  I have a Korg EMX groove box at home which I intend to use to create backing tracks for my own games.  Its not really fair for me to create the music for you myself being a judge, plus I dont think you'd really want me to anyway since I need practice  Wink, but if it helps I can record some of the many demo patterns etc for you to piece together.

Read June 04, 2007, 07:56:12 AM #14
pixelizr

Speaking of patterns, there are a lot of free loops out there for royalty-free use. They're usually trial versions of bigger loop sets, but they should do if you're only writing a few music tracks.

Smart Loops (http://smartloops.com/) used to offer free trial loop sets, but I can't seem to find the link in their present website. Anyway, I'm sure there are lots more out there.

To piece together loops, simple audio editors like Audacity would probably suffice if it's only a few songs.
Read June 04, 2007, 04:51:11 PM #15
Adigun A. Polack

Also, another two wonderful sites for such excellent instrument/percussion samples to download in helping you to create your own original music and sounds are:

• Sounddogs
                  http://www.sounddogs.com/

• SampleNet
                  http://www.samplenet.co.uk/

Be sure to try them out as well, X-0ut!!!  afro1 !
Read June 04, 2007, 06:47:37 PM #16
Shoot-em-upper

SoundDogs, huh?  I went there for a jet engine sound effect.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 05, 2007, 01:57:26 AM #17
failrate

A good site for a myriad a sfx is http://freesound.iua.upf.edu/index.php.  You can actually download *and* donate to them.  Two things I love about them is that they have a quick preview button on each sample (lower quality, but good enough to figure out if you want the high fidelity track) and a lot of their samples come in sets that you can download in one zip file. 
Read June 05, 2007, 07:37:51 AM #18
X-0ut

Hey thanks a lot, I'll be sure to check out those sample sources.

I'm currently working on the splash page music,  this is what I have so far:
http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/new/Track1.ogg
Bare in mind I'm no musician.

Bit Off-topic< I was wondering if I should open a screenshots thread for everyone to use, or keep a log of my own here instead?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 07:39:53 AM by X-0ut »
Read June 05, 2007, 07:47:51 AM #19
motorherp

Thats awesome, you've got no reason to worry about music if you can churn out enough of what's in that track.  You can get away pretty effectively with only creating smallish loops as well and just patching them all together if you dont have the time to create full blown tracks.  After all people will be consentrating on the game mostly.

With regards to a screenshot thread, I think it would be best for people to post their screens in their entry threads.  It'll just make it easier to track progress on each game individualy and stop anyones efforts getting swamped by other peoples.

Read June 05, 2007, 07:50:52 AM #20
X-0ut

Ok good thinking, I'll keep screenshots to this thread (when I have some) Smiley
Read June 05, 2007, 06:54:13 PM #21
Adigun A. Polack

Great way to be, man.  And that splash screen music you made *sure* looks mighty ace to me... now you are getting somewhere with this!!!  Cool=b !
Read June 05, 2007, 09:26:00 PM #22
Shoot-em-upper

I bet it is ace, but my computer hates .ogg files.  Any chance of posting a .wav or .avi?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 05, 2007, 09:38:22 PM #23
X-0ut

wav is currently 14mb, what about mp3?

*edit* mp3 also: http://xout.blackened-interactive.com/dump/new/Track1.mp3
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 09:47:59 PM by X-0ut »
Read June 05, 2007, 10:35:54 PM #24
Dookie

That's a pretty sweet track, X-0ut!  What software are you using to create your music?

The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.
Read June 06, 2007, 07:07:29 AM #25
X-0ut

Renoise + Z3ta, and a bunch of percussion samples atm.
Read June 06, 2007, 07:43:22 AM #26
monoRAIL

nice music, should work well for a shmup!
Read June 06, 2007, 07:40:06 PM #27
Shoot-em-upper

nice music, should work well for a shmup!

I agree, I like the tempo and rhythm.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 06, 2007, 08:52:30 PM #28
X-0ut

Made a start on the boss music today, its short atm and not particularly great. Kinda cheesy, but anyhow I'm not a musician:
BossTrack.wav
Read June 07, 2007, 12:18:51 AM #29
Kairos

Not a musician? You're kidding me. I can't even make anything besides simple beats, I don't get music. Anyway, nice work.
Read June 07, 2007, 05:32:53 PM #30
Adigun A. Polack

Not a bad little shot at all on creating the Boss track, X-0ut.  To make it better though, I would recommend you improving it step by step to make it much-better sounding... like as dramatic and intense as possible (like in Axelay on SNES, for example).  If you can nail that, then you are well on your way to *really* creating such pulse-pounding music that grabs the player and NEVER lets go at all, you know that?  Cool !

Other than that though, good start!!  Wink
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 05:35:25 PM by Adigun A. Polack »
Read June 08, 2007, 07:49:49 PM #31
X-0ut

Well I tried, heres the final (for now) version. Its a bit rough around the edges but you know, I'm not good at this.
Anyway, now I can move onto other music tracks that need to be done so that I can finally get started on the artwork.

BossTrack.mp3
Read June 08, 2007, 10:43:00 PM #32
Adigun A. Polack

VERY nicely done on the improvement of the Boss tune, my man X-0ut, as this turns out now to be some pretty excellent hearing where creating trance/techno music is concerned.  Way to go, and do keep up the wonderful job that you are doing on your project!!!  d=Grin=b
Read June 09, 2007, 01:14:27 PM #33
rasher

Great tune! I don't know if it's complete or not but just one thing if you're looping the track, it seems to start very abruptly. Just my opinion but that part stands out far more.
Read June 09, 2007, 03:35:36 PM #34
Shoot-em-upper

You're right, the ending doesn't meld well with the beginning.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 09, 2007, 04:25:18 PM #35
X-0ut

Yeah it is kinda abrupt. I'll leave it for now and get to work on other tracks that are needed. Can allways come back to it later if theres time.
Thanks for all the input Smiley
Read June 11, 2007, 10:51:57 AM #36
X-0ut

First bit of gfx done, heres the player ship.
Read June 12, 2007, 03:45:14 AM #37
Adigun A. Polack

Albeit dithered a bit, this is STILL a wonderful piece of ship design here, X-0ut... even in the way it makes vertical turns a bit, too!!!  Overall, rather good so far, because I like it very much!!  cool1=b
Read June 12, 2007, 04:44:55 AM #38
Shoot-em-upper

It's nice to see someone doing a horizontal shmup--those are ignored too often in my opinion.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 15, 2007, 01:29:53 PM #39
X-0ut

ok, I have been quiet the last few days. But just to proove I have been working, heres a little teaser of the intro:
Intro
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 19 queries.