Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ ProtoType II (Complete)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Read September 02, 2007, 07:05:30 AM #280
X-0ut

Re: ProtoType II

Hi Charlie, it looks as though your card failed to compile the shaders.
In the next version I upload I'll enabled shader debugging which should give a little more info.
Also, are you sure thats the correct name for your card, cant find it on the delphi listing - which is usually pretty good.
Read September 02, 2007, 09:38:53 AM #281
X-0ut

Current version just finished upload. Same url ProtoTypeII
Charlie could you please try this version and let me know the log report.
I found your gfx card specs and it should indeed run this game, are your drivers upto date?
Read September 02, 2007, 01:49:52 PM #282
charlie

Still doesn't work i'm afraid. I have the latest drivers too.

logfile:

Logfile created on Aug 26 2007
>>Logging Enabled<<

[Initializing Video Settings]
Resolution Set: 640x480x32
Vsync Enabled.
Complete...

[Initializing Devil]
Complete...

[Initializing Extensions]
MultiTexturing supported!
Some extensions skipped for low specs.
Fragment Shaders supported!
Complete...

Intiailzing Engine!

[Searching for Joystick]
Joystick 0 found and intialized.
Complete...

[Initializing Frame Buffers]
Disabled for low spec!

[Compilling Shaders]
Compilling shader: pass through.
   >>Creating Fragment program.

Cheers
Charlie
Read September 02, 2007, 01:56:06 PM #283
charlie

Also, i can't delete the folder as most things are read only.

Cheers
Chalrie
Read September 02, 2007, 02:18:59 PM #284
X-0ut

I just looked in the release build, no file is read only. Something odd going on at your end.

According to the build you have run, the engine is exiting when nothing should go wrong. As if your card doesnt seem to like the openGL extensions used to pass the shader data.
It will report if it doesnt compile etc, so something a bit funky going on.
Are your gfx drivers upto date?
Read September 02, 2007, 03:04:48 PM #285
charlie

Yes, i updated them today.

Cheers
Charlie
Read September 02, 2007, 09:13:44 PM #286
Adigun A. Polack

Out of interest, charlie, what Windows operating system do you have?  XP or Vista?

Thanks so much ( Wink ! ), and I just want to make clear and sure that this very game works on your computer as well in order for it to avoid disqualification... because according to the compo rules, an entry must work on all four (4) judge’s computers (which are motorherp’s, Tim W.’s, yours, and mine as well) to have a REAL potential shot at winning big in this contest indeed.
Read September 03, 2007, 02:16:22 AM #287
Dookie

I'd post my opinions but it sounds like you have your hands full, X-0ut.

If yer interested, I gave your latest alpha a go and found it to be much more accessible than the previous build.  The game is now much easier to get into, and much less frustrating.  I like how the enemies aren't quite as frantic in Rookie as they were in the original alpha build, and I actually got to see the first boss!

The presentation is awesome, and the fade time between screens is much better.  The different powerups are very fun, and it's nice that I didn't lose all my powerups when I got whacked by a stray bullet or collided with an immovable object.  The music is great, the animated backgrounds are awesome, and the game played silky smooth on my WinXP system with Core2 Duo processor and GeForce 8800GTS vid card.  Very nice!

I'll try it out with my wireless XBox 360 controller later, since the batteries died in it - D'oh!

Hope you get the Vista video problems sorted...  I'd be tempted to blame it on half-baked Vista video drivers, but it's hard to say for sure.  If your game's built around OpenGL, then you might look to see if a newer SDK is available.  If so, then try to compile your game with the newer SDK and then see if everybody can play it.  Good luck!

The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.
Read September 03, 2007, 07:33:09 AM #288
X-0ut

Oh well hit a brick wall Shocked

GMA 950

The GMA 950 is Intel's second-generation Graphics Media Accelerator graphics core. It is used in the Intel 940GML, 945G, 945GU and 945GT system chipsets. The amount of video-decoding hardware has increased; VLD, iDCT, and dual video overlay windows are now handled in hardware. The core clock is 400 MHz, boosting pixel fill-rate to a theoretical 1600 megapixels/s.

The GMA 950 shares the same architectural weakness as the GMA 900: no hardware geometry processing. Neither basic (DX7) hardware transform and lighting.[1], nor more advanced vertex shaders (DX8 and later) are handled in the GMA hardware.

This card will not be able to run the game, there is no hardware shading. Even if it did manage to run it would be in software, which would be so slow as to be unplayable.

The only other alternative I have is to chance my luck and write another render path (thats the month gone), and it still may not be able to handle the game.
Read September 03, 2007, 07:52:21 AM #289
motorherp

I'm sorry to hear that x-out.  I know the tech limits are harsh but unfortunately there's little I can do about it.  Its hard to find enough judges we can trust in order to run the compo in the first place so we have to fit the spec limits to the judges and not the other way around.

Read September 03, 2007, 08:25:03 AM #290
X-0ut

Yeah don't worry about it.
Unfortunately theres little I can do about it, I've been reading up on the gma950 this morning and even if I did write the non-shader path it still wouldn't run, the 950 only has 32mb video ram, and this game requires 128 so theres no way I can squeeze it in there.
I'd love to see it working on everybody's computer but obviously thats wishful thinking Smiley

Never mind, I shall still be entering p2 into the compo if it gets disqualified or not. Should provide some good feedback for the ongoing version.
Read September 03, 2007, 08:45:41 AM #291
Hornet600S

What are you using your shaders for? More than eye-candy?
If not, just deactivate them if they are not supported.
It must just run on all judges computers...

Anyway, are you sure you're shader code is working correctly?
I read that your game didn't run on Edge's GeForce 6150 because of some shader error.
We are using shaders ourselfs (well, they aren't too complex) and it works fine on his machine.

Our decision is: if hardware lacks capabilities it will still run  angel - just look rather crappy  Grin

"When the Amiga came out, everyone at Apple was scared as hell."
(Jean-Louis Gassée - Head of Macintosh development at Apple)
Read September 03, 2007, 09:53:22 AM #292
X-0ut

Hornet600S: Firstly, I must point out that Edge has a gf2. Which does not have shader support.
Secondly, the engine was built from the ground up with a shader system in mind. Shaders have been around for 5 years now (heck my gfx card is 5 years old). Shaders as a minimum spec today is reasonable.

Shader code is working absolutely fine - it conforms to the spec. Tested on various NVidia and ATI cards.
As mentioned in my previous post, Charlie's card has 32mb onboard memory. This game requires tripple that at times. Either way you look at it, theres no way I can squeeze it into there Smiley

Ok so I wanted to raise the quality for P2, for that sacrifices must be made. For that reason I chose shaders as a minimum (there are more special effects if your card has more power). Unknowingly I didn't realize charlie's card would not be able to run this. Its not charlie's fault, if anybodies its mine and its a decision I have to stick with.
Read September 03, 2007, 12:40:09 PM #293
Edge

To clarify the confusion here:
Yep, I am running on an old GeForce 2. And the latest version of Vergelting still runs smooth on my machine, but the shaders of the tentacle sprite do not work. It's all grey.
Read September 03, 2007, 12:47:48 PM #294
Hornet600S

Sorry, that's what happens if you're only communicating via mail  Tongue
Anyway, I hope you're finding a solution, X-Out.

"When the Amiga came out, everyone at Apple was scared as hell."
(Jean-Louis Gassée - Head of Macintosh development at Apple)
Read September 03, 2007, 12:59:54 PM #295
X-0ut

Its not a big problem for me, P2 is being worked on regardless Smiley
Read September 03, 2007, 03:32:57 PM #296
Crimson Knight

I can never run any of your games, which makes me sad. Sad

Still, it looks great so far.
Read September 03, 2007, 03:50:32 PM #297
charlie

I've got another Box i could use, which has a proper graphics card in. I'll need to uninstall Linux for a bit and back up my other stuff but it should run on that (128mb nvidia pci express).

Cheers
Charlie
Read September 03, 2007, 04:02:38 PM #298
X-0ut

Charlie: that would be fantastic, sounds more like a gaming rig.

Crimson Knight: Whats your specs?
Read September 03, 2007, 08:08:53 PM #299
X-0ut

ok I bit the bullet. As of now I'm uploading a version that has an option to disable shaders, or run without them if not found on the card.
Its still in its infancy, and I'll make it a little cleaner over this month. This should open the game to a larger audience, but the visual quality will be impacted. It's likely that there may be problems. I'll do my best to keep everyone happy, but at the end of the day its not possible.

Anyway, feedback welcome as allways:

PS Dookie: Apparently 360 controllers are now working, use 100% sensitivity in the controls menu.

EDIT: ok here it is P2 Latest Build
If the game wont startup, disable shaders.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 08:23:12 PM by X-0ut »
Read September 03, 2007, 09:23:58 PM #300
Crimson Knight

Well, I at least got past the configure screen. But when I chose a ship, the screen went bye-bye. Sad Log file loaded a bunch of images, so I don't know what's up.
Read September 04, 2007, 07:06:39 AM #301
X-0ut

After selecting your ship, the main game is loaded. There should be a message in the bottom right of the screen "Loading...", it could take a little while. Did you get past that? If so what where your FPS? Maybe its running so slow it stalls? Whats your sys specs?
Read September 04, 2007, 11:50:43 AM #302
Korenn

tried the demo, upped the resolution to 1024*768 with bloom, but got a horrible interlaced screen. I assume that wasn't finished yet? Smiley

[edit] nevermind, scanlines were turned on by default. Looks awesome  Grin
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:54:22 AM by Korenn »
Read September 06, 2007, 02:47:37 PM #303
zebraairforce

Hey, X-Out! I was playing your demo and noticed a little error; when I let the continue screen count down, the game crashed! You've probably already noticed, but I just wanted to give you a heads up Wink
Read September 06, 2007, 06:14:57 PM #304
X-0ut

Its already fixed in the next update - but thanks anyway Smiley
Read September 06, 2007, 09:03:02 PM #305
X-0ut

Haven't logged anything for a little while, so screenie to wet the appetite:

Progress is going smoothly, although it feels the deadline is breathing down my neck.
about 98% of the sound effects are in now, minor bug fixes all over the place.
Nearly all music tracks are good to go.
Its really pulling together! Smiley

Edit: Latest version is up P2
Its now 50mb in size, so any non broadband users or people with limited bandwidth have been warned.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 08:21:06 AM by X-0ut »
Read September 07, 2007, 08:42:05 AM #306
battlegorge

Your game looks and plays very well now.  Cheesy
The difficulty is fine now.
With the first credit i reached the second midboss on novice difficulty.

When i used a continue the boss white shots where black instead of white and my shots very nearly invisible.
The same happened when i tried to play with my cool red/black spaceship with black cockpit  Wink.

The missile sound is a bit too loud.
And these small spheres in level 2 have a too small hitbox!
Read September 07, 2007, 11:24:01 AM #307
X-0ut

I'm trying to reproduce what happened, but its not for some reason. I'll keep trying.
If you can give me a little more info like the settings that where used etc I might have a bit more luck tracking it down.
Thanks.

Edit: nevermind, I just reproduced it. Thanks for bringing this bug to my attention.
Edit2: looks like it was a buffer overrun in the scoreboard entry.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 12:49:45 PM by X-0ut »
Read September 07, 2007, 02:24:06 PM #308
X-0ut

I've just uploaded a newer version here that will hopefully solve the issue Crimson Knight had. (Some other bug fixes too)
Read September 07, 2007, 10:15:57 PM #309
Crimson Knight

AWESOME, IT WORKS! ^_^

Yeah, the game would start loading, then precache, then just close. but I can play it now!

And now that I did, I'm leaning towards dropping out of the compo. Sad

But you have a pretty good shooter so far. A bit difficult to me(even on rookie), but that's just my lack of reaction time.
Read September 07, 2007, 10:28:46 PM #310
X-0ut

Great, I'm glad it works. Had a friend on IRC with the same gfx card as you, and he also had the same problem.
Turned out to be a silly bug, but thats the way it goes.
Funnily enough, he said it was too hard for him too heh.
Read September 09, 2007, 12:32:46 PM #311
Alex

It is very challenging, but not impossible.

Maybe after the compo add a tutorial level or something, with an easy intro to the game.
Read September 09, 2007, 02:35:38 PM #312
Shoot-em-upper

That ripple whets my appetite.  Haven't downloaded it yet, I really hope that it runs.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 13, 2007, 06:18:45 PM #313
X-0ut

Couple new screenies, decided to try and squeeze out a 3rd level in the remaining time. Depending on how things go this level may or may not end up in the compo final.

Read September 13, 2007, 06:52:12 PM #314
Shoot-em-upper

It runs perfectly!  All I have to do is disable the shaders, and it runs at a consistent 250-300 FPS.  At least that's what it said in the corner of the screen(while I was downloading it, it said that I had 14775 hours and 9 minutes remaining, even though the loading bar was moving rapidly...).  I think that this game's going to win.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 13, 2007, 07:40:09 PM #315
Crimson Knight

...I'd be really surprised if it didn't.
Read September 19, 2007, 08:46:21 PM #316
Tim

Game works fine here with the shaders option turned off.
Read September 20, 2007, 06:22:24 AM #317
X-0ut

Glad to see the shader-less path was worthwhile, its just a shame that it can't be viewed in all its graphical ability.
The 3rd stage is going well, its all mapped out, full of new enemies. The only thing missing is a boss.
Added a new weapon, made various sound fx.
AtomHead has been churning out tracks as usual. Everything is progressing well.

The remaining time will be spent on the final boss and polishing here and there.
Not long now Smiley
Read September 26, 2007, 06:33:31 AM #318
X-0ut

Finally managed to draw the 3rd stage boss, had a lot of trouble with this continually coming up with new ideas then scrapping and restarting. I'll get him coded in today and do some other cleaning up that needs to be done.
Will be finished in time for compo end.
Read September 27, 2007, 01:30:11 PM #319
X-0ut

Final beta test is up: PrototypeII (~55mb)
This is not the final version, just the final test.
Any bug reports would be welcomed Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 18 queries.