Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ DroneSwarm (Completed)

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Read June 04, 2007, 01:41:55 AM #0
monoRAIL

DroneSwarm (Completed)

DroneSwarm - shmup-dev entry version.

I couldn't get the forum attachment to work so I've provided a direct link.
Download it here: http://droneswarm.com/files/DroneSwarm_shmup-dev-entry.zip [18Mb]

Features:

• 1280 x 720 High Definition widescreen graphics
  • Support for 4:3 monitors
  • Portrait (tate) mode - rotate your screen and enable vertical mode controls to play as a vertical shooter
  • Supports analog gamepad (works great with the xbox 360 controller)
  • Menus in English and Chinese

The game only features one level at the moment, but more will be added later.

Previous post below...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:43:57 AM by monoRAIL »

Read June 04, 2007, 01:47:25 AM #1
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm

Title: DroneSwarm
Platform: Torque Game Builder on Windows
Team: Mostly me, but with a bit of help for the music and sound effects.

This is my first SHMUP-DEV contest, and actually, my first solo-game. I've worked as an artist on many games before but I've decided to try my hand at programming and thought TGB would be the way to go.

Some concept art:

Here's a video of my progress so far:
http://www.droneswarm.com/files/droneswarm_progress01.wmv

This shows the basics of the gameplay.
You score points by killing enemies, and get a big points bonus for killing an entire wave.
You gain experience for every shot that hits an enemy, but lose experience for shots that miss. When your experience reaches 100%, you level up and get a drone.

There's 3 buttons: Shoot, dispatch drones and freeze drones. Dispatch sends your drones away from your ship, and freeze sticks them in place.
If you hold down dispatch you can detonate 1 drone, and if you hold down freeze you can detonate your entire droneswarm (for massive damage!).

That's basically it so far. Torque rocks. The sounds are from http://www.soundportfolio.com/

[UPDATE July 1st] - Demo available

Download the demo here: http://droneswarm.com/files/DroneSwarm_Demo.zip

Controls:

Control pad

Joystick - steer ship
Button 1 - shoot
Button 2 - dispatch drones
Button 3 - freeze drones

Keyboard

Arrows - steer ship
Left CTRL - shoot
Left ALT - dispatch drones
Left Shift - freeze drones

ALT-Enter - fullscreen (not recommended for non-widescreen monitors!)
ALT-F4 - quit

Hold dispatch drones to detonate one drone.
Hold freeze drones to detonate your entire drone swarm.
If you're using an Xbox 360 controller you can also use Right Bumper for dispatch drones, and Left Bumper for freeze drones.

There are probably a TON of bugs, so please post them here if you find any. If you have any problem running the game do let me know.
There's no audio in this version. Sounds are in currently in development by of Alex from SoundPortfolio.com

I should mention that this is not supposed to be balanced gameplay. I'm just throwing everything on screen at once to test all the enemy types I've made so far. The actual game will have carefully timed enemies and paced progression. That said - you should be able to survive this 'demo' if you detonate your drones to take out the stealth bombers early ;-)

[Update July 13th]
A new version of Torque Game Builder (1.5) has just been released and I'm going to try to port DroneSwarm over to the new version. This might take a while so I probably won't have any updates for a few days. In the meantime here's some artwork. These are the ingame sprites at actual size. The stealth fighter isn't in the demo, I'm still working on the code for it.

[Update July 29th]
I've finally started on the background art. Here's some early designs for level 1. The plan is to start high up like this then dive down through the clouds half way through the level and continue lower down. I still have to work out how I'm going to do the clouds.

[Update August 19th]
Not much new stuff to show, I've had the flu and progress has been slow. Might have a new demo out in the next week or so.
Here's the logo for now:

[Update September 10th]
Thanks X-Out for testing the demo.

Click here to download the latest DroneSwarm demo.

New screenshots:

Videos:

YouTube Video

640x360 WMV video - 20Mb

[Update - September 23rd]

A preview of the end of level boss for stage 1:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 10:22:31 AM by monoRAIL »

Read June 04, 2007, 01:49:56 AM #2
Shoot-em-upper

So, the options will be UAVs?  I always thought that those things looked like models or something equally fragile.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 04, 2007, 03:54:39 AM #3
Adigun A. Polack

Welcome, and I am delighted to see you entering this competition, monoRAIL!!  cool1

And with your new contest project of DroneSwarm, I hope you do such an amazing job on it indeed!!!  Grin=b
Read June 04, 2007, 04:44:46 AM #4
failrate

Your title made me imagine a game where the player would be playing the option of an AI-controlled space-ship.
Read June 04, 2007, 05:54:06 AM #5
monoRAIL

Adigun - thanks, I hope you enjoy the game.
Failrate - That is a cool idea actually - controlling the options instead of the main ship! I hope someone else runs with that one, I'm going to try something more traditional for this game.
Read June 04, 2007, 04:03:30 PM #6
Shoot-em-upper

Failrate, that's awesome!  I'm surprised that it isn't on 300 Mechanics.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 06, 2007, 06:29:28 AM #7
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - concept art)

Some concept art added in the first post.
Read June 06, 2007, 06:46:43 AM #8
Five Damned Dollarz

Sweet art! Very nice concepts there. The enemy looks awesome, in-game you should try adding alpha motion blur to the chopper blade, that would look completely awesome wink2
Read June 10, 2007, 10:11:44 PM #9
Shoot-em-upper

That concept art looks awesome.  It's a nice break from the generic spaceship vehicle.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 13, 2007, 09:13:49 AM #10
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - video)

UPDATE - video!

See first post
Read June 13, 2007, 10:50:13 AM #11
pixelizr

Very impressive progress. The contest only started less than two weeks ago, and here we already have a full running system. I personally like the use of options that you are showing us so far, specifically the player's ability to deploy them in many ways. Smiley
Read June 13, 2007, 11:08:16 AM #12
Five Damned Dollarz

Whoa! I could definitely see this as an awesome finished game! I love the explosion GFX and the 'burst-fire' sound effects. I cannot wait for this to be completed, I wanna play it, haha!
Read June 13, 2007, 12:51:22 PM #13
Nobody

Yeah that is quite sexy indeed. What did you use to record it btw? D:
Read June 13, 2007, 01:30:55 PM #14
cactus

Oh man, that is some slick stuff you have there. I love the stylized cellshaded look. This competition seems like it'll be even tougher than the last one shocked2
Read June 13, 2007, 11:48:07 PM #15
monoRAIL

Pixelizr - thanks, but I didn't write the engine, it's Torque Game Builder. Using the options as bombs should present some interesting situations in boss fights :-)
Five DD - I'm looking forward to playing it too!
Nobody - The video is recorded with FRAPS.
Cactus - I think I'll do an anime style for the whole game. Backgrounds will be tough though!
Read June 14, 2007, 12:03:05 AM #16
pixelizr

Using the options as bombs should present some interesting situations in boss fights

Border Down presented a similar concept: Use the superweapon and your shot power goes down. It turned out to be quite a challenge to balance the break laser spamming and keeping your firepower at a decent level. It should be interesting if something similar (like the scheme you just mentioned) is implemented in your game as well. Smiley
Read June 14, 2007, 01:18:09 AM #17
the2bears

Pixelizr - thanks, but I didn't write the engine, it's Torque Game Builder. Using the options as bombs should present some interesting situations in boss fights :-)

Doing something like this myself, but not exactly...  Cool

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read June 14, 2007, 10:29:42 AM #18
ReleX

holy shit dude! Looks awsome! like the effects 'n stuff. Is the plane actual 3D or perspective sprites or something?

crowd: "WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!"
man: "No I'm not!"
Read June 14, 2007, 01:13:56 PM #19
stwelin

I like it a loooottt. Very cool. Why do you tease us so early? We all know that we are going to be bugging you in a month or 2 to release a beta. Tongue

The only thing that slights me is the sound of the bullets. If you plan on making it a shoot-at-every-waking-moment-so-you-won't-die!!! type shmup, i think a more subtle noise for bullets might suit it. They click-clackiness sort of detracts.

Other than that... All i can say is ACE!
Read June 14, 2007, 04:37:44 PM #20
Adigun A. Polack

If that video you showed us is a sign of things to come on your contest entry here, monoRAIL, then I WOULD BE SO AWESTRUCK, let me tell you!!!  d=grin2=b

Boy, with an amazing lot of entries being created, this competition has just turned up the heat and then some!!!  My!!!  Wink !!
Read June 14, 2007, 05:11:20 PM #21
Alex

Hey cool video Smiley I look forward to seeing this finished.  I have T2D as well, I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to build top notch 2d games.

monoRail already posted a link to my website, I'm always looking for new ideas for content for soundportfolio so if you want something in particular for your games let me know and I'll try and make it if I get the time.  Better bullet sounds, some music...

my email is alexp1@westnet.com.au which is probably the best way to get in contact.
Read June 15, 2007, 03:13:42 PM #22
Shoot-em-upper

I don't think that the bullets sound bad at all, but when your options get hit it sounds a bit like a fart.  Please change that.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 15, 2007, 07:39:38 PM #23
extrabastardformula

Doing something like this myself, but not exactly...  Cool

Bill
Same here.
Read June 16, 2007, 05:23:35 AM #24
Alex

I don't think that the bullets sound bad at all, but when your options get hit it sounds a bit like a fart.  Please change that.

Lol Smiley

I'd gladly provide whatever sounds you need, monoRail...

I think at this stage it's just prototyping though, so sounds probably aren't as important as how it works just yet.

What should it sound like when an option gets hit?
Read June 16, 2007, 01:47:22 PM #25
pixelizr

"Ka-chink-psssssh"
Read June 16, 2007, 05:07:25 PM #26
Shoot-em-upper

I think that it should sound like an electric arc.  You know, the sound effect that they use in movies when a bug hits a bug light.  Kind of burny-zappy.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 27, 2007, 06:54:48 PM #27
ReleX

How's It going on (one of) my favorite entry? I liked what you did so far... you got any progress done?
Well maybe you'll update soon. Ill see... Leder duwd!

-ReleX

Read June 28, 2007, 03:16:35 AM #28
monoRAIL

Lots of progress to show soon. I've got enemy drones, fighter planes and stealth bomber mini-bosses in now. I'm also working on a pickup item. I'll post some updates this weekend.
Read July 01, 2007, 01:12:43 PM #29
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - demo)

Demo now available in the first post! Enjoy!
Read July 01, 2007, 02:02:08 PM #30
cactus

I liked the game a lot. The graphics were really smooth and well designed. And it all had a good flow. However, I think the waves were a bit poorly timed. When I got to big blacks, I had no time to clear the screen before the next two or three waves came, and I got totally swarmed. Maybe you should make it so that the big waves stop coming when there are bigger enemies on the scren (and instead there's a _few_ smaller enemies showing up every now and then untill the big ones are destroyed)? And I'd also like to see this in fullscreen with appropriate resolution change.

I was surprised that the game ran so well on my computer. The framerate only dropped when there were a lot of explosions on the screen. Anyway, this is looking real good. Keep it up!
Read July 01, 2007, 02:08:06 PM #31
alillm

Alright, here’s some feedback.

I thought overall the game demo was great Smiley, I really like the ship designs and the effects. I especially like the damage that can be seen on the big ships. Movement is nice too.

I had 2 main problems…

The player ship seemed to have quite a large hit box, I often found that I was fenced in with bullets, and where as in most shooters I would be able to squeeze through a small gap between bullets, in this, the slightest movement meant I died. With so many bullets and enemies on the screen, you need to allow a bit of freedom when it comes to dodging things. I was often being killed by bullets I wasn’t even paying attention to because they were far away from me.

Also, like cactus, I thought there were too many enemies too soon, 10 helicopters and 2 big ships all firing at you at once seemed too much. In fact, if you eased things up a bit, you could probably get away with the big hit box a bit more.

If you fix those up this would be a very enjoyable well made game.

One other very minor issue I had (this is probably just nit picking now) was that when you collected the powerup things, they seemed to explode as if they were doing damage. The first time I picked one up I thought I had hit an enemy.

Anyway, as I say, overall its looking very nice Smiley keep it up.

Ali
Read July 01, 2007, 02:12:56 PM #32
Alex

Alllim hopefully with the right sounds, there will be no doubt that you've picked up a power up rather than been hit by a nasty thing.
Read July 01, 2007, 02:24:27 PM #33
monoRAIL

I forgot to mention that this is not supposed to be balanced gameplay. I'm just throwing everything on screen at once to test all the enemy types I've made so far. The actual game will have carefully timed enemies and paced progression. That said - you should be able to survive this 'demo' if you detonate your drones to take out the stealth bombers early ;-)

Thanks for the feedback guys, greatly appreciated.
Read July 01, 2007, 04:04:53 PM #34
cactus

Forgot to mention one more thing. The explosions would look twice as hot if you added some pieces and junk flying about instead of "just" a fireball and smoke wink2
Read July 01, 2007, 09:37:17 PM #35
ReleX

Yeah I like it! the graphics are awsome... but like others said, the hitbox is to big... and you might want to add some level of damage to your ship, so it can take a few hits... also im not realy fond of the control sceme. But I gues your not gonna keep it that way. Dude your main ship sprite still owns like hell!! I love it!

-ReleX

Read July 05, 2007, 02:13:39 PM #36
AphexTwins

I really like it so far. Great graphics and everything looks smooth. And yes, you need a smaller hitbox. Besides that this game is kicking ass! Keep it up!  Smiley
Read July 05, 2007, 08:52:34 PM #37
HunchedWarrior

Nice looking game. Definately could be a fun one (not to mention a purdy one too Smiley.)

Just a minor nitpick: the main window is just slightly too wide to fit on my screen (1152x824), it'd be nice if the game adjusted the window size to fit the screen resolution.

I'm also a little leery of the player ship having inertia (not so great for precision dodging) but it didn't cause too much difficulty gameplay wise.

Are you ready set?
We started on a trip to hell
Read July 05, 2007, 11:05:07 PM #38
pixelizr

Yup, looks like the game runs in a graphics mode slightly above 1024x768. Of course, it's up to the developer if he wants high definition resolutions, but I think going too high-def would only limit the audience. A good number of laptops these days still ship with 1024x768 LCDs, after all.

Regarding inertia, I'm not totally against it, but I do believe that there are gameplay designs that go well with it, and there are some that don't (like Shanghai Alice bullet curtains). I think the developer should always take care in making sure that the inertia adds to the user experience and not work against the player's enjoyment.
Read July 10, 2007, 09:37:22 PM #39
HunchedWarrior

Sort of thinking out loud here... inertia could possibly make dodging easier if the acceleration/decelleration was really rapid. I'm thinking of a situation like the Stage 2 boss of DoDonPachi (or more relavent since it's horizontal the Stage 2 boss of Progear) when it's close to death firing blue needle bullets really close together I often die there because the ship moves just a little too far when attempting a the very small dodges required in that section. A short (0.125s as a number I'll try playing with in my own entry) speed up time might make small fine mauvering a little easier.

Are you ready set?
Read July 13, 2007, 12:52:30 PM #40
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - stealth fighter)

A new version of Torque Game Builder (1.5) has just been released and I'm going to try to port DroneSwarm over to the new version. This might take a while so I probably won't have any updates for a few days. In the meantime here's some artwork...

Read July 13, 2007, 02:00:37 PM #41
ReleX

Like it! though the options don't seem totally in line with the rest...

-ReleX

Read July 13, 2007, 03:47:50 PM #42
monoRAIL

The small white circular drone is the player's option, the larger grey one is an enemy.
Read July 14, 2007, 12:37:42 AM #43
Shoot-em-upper

I think that the options go well with the other aircraft.  I like the way you played around with the designs of the Nighthawk and Raptor(Lightning II?).

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 15, 2007, 06:38:00 AM #44
kemical

very cool so far! ...I'm a TGB user also, Have you been trying any of the new behavior stuff? 1.5 kind of threw a wrench into what I was doing prior.
Read July 15, 2007, 07:50:31 AM #45
monoRAIL

Kemical - just got DroneSwarm working with TGB 1.5 today, however I'm noticing some irritating collision bugs. The collision circle on my player's bullets seems to vary slightly over time, which causes the hit effect animations to play in the wrong place.

I haven't had a look at behaviours at all yet. Have they written any documentation or tutorials for those yet? I tend to do most of my editing in codeweaver anyway, and just use the editor for importing images and configuring animations and particles. Once I start laying out the background with tilemaps I might take a look at the new features of the editor.
Read July 26, 2007, 02:36:44 AM #46
kemical

Cool, I had replied to your post on garage games about that collision problem, hope you got it solved.   I'm planning on trying to use Behaviors for handling the bullet patterns and enemy attacks, everything else is just using the scene object datablocks for defining objects and then lots of class/scripting stuff in Torsion.  There seems to be some basic behavior tutorials in the documentation, but nothing too detailed, looks like they are still working on doing more with it.
Read July 29, 2007, 12:11:06 PM #47
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - background)

I've finally started on the background art. Here's some early designs for level 1. The plan is to start high up like this then dive down through the clouds half way through the level and continue lower down. I still have to work out how I'm going to do the clouds.

Read July 29, 2007, 01:25:39 PM #48
alillm

Looks great, really like the backgrounds and the idea of changing the height mid level is cool. This just jumped a few places up my 'most anticipated' list Smiley

Ali
Read July 29, 2007, 08:11:21 PM #49
Shoot-em-upper

Slick graphics.  You could have some clouds below you, and some clouds obscuring your vision.  As you descend through them, they'd get less and less frequent.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 29, 2007, 10:39:39 PM #50
Alex

Yes the clouds above should move quite quickly too to heighten the perception of speed.
Read July 30, 2007, 04:49:02 AM #51
Deleter

Wow really nice background, keep up the good work!
Read July 30, 2007, 08:09:37 AM #52
X-0ut

Looking great, very lush! Smiley
Read July 30, 2007, 05:26:46 PM #53
HunchedWarrior

Nice. Will there be bigger islands or maybe buildings on them later on (in the level)? I like blasting the crap out of buildings. They always blow up real good Smiley

Are you ready set?
Read July 30, 2007, 08:22:15 PM #54
Shoot-em-upper

Especially nuclear powerplants and bomb factories! evil2

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 30, 2007, 09:48:15 PM #55
berilium

Wow! I love those screens. You've been working great! BTW, player's aircraft reminds me those Mass Production Evangelions  Grin
Read July 31, 2007, 12:08:39 AM #56
monoRAIL

Nice. Will there be bigger islands or maybe buildings on them later on (in the level)? I like blasting the crap out of buildings. They always blow up real good Smiley

Yes, there will be low level flying sections with tanks and other ground vehicles to attack, although this will probably be in the second level. For now I'm just working on getting the first level working. If I have time, and if I can fit it under the 20Mb limit I'll try to get 2 levels in the competition entry.
Read July 31, 2007, 10:23:55 PM #57
Adigun A. Polack

Yes, there will be low level flying sections with tanks and other ground vehicles to attack, although this will probably be in the second level. For now I'm just working on getting the first level working. If I have time, and if I can fit it under the 20Mb limit I'll try to get 2 levels in the competition entry.

Sounds real good to me, monoRAIL, and for this compo entry of yours, two levels is better than none, I should say!!  Wink

Screenshots are looking really hot now, and I really liked the 1st demo, by the way!!!  Grin=b
Read August 01, 2007, 08:52:44 PM #58
Shoot-em-upper

there will be low level flying sections with tanks and other ground vehicles to attack, although this will probably be in the second level.

I love low-flying sections.  A whole level like that would be awesome.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 01, 2007, 10:50:46 PM #59
Griff

This is looking great!  I really like the style!  Having you fly down through the clouds is an awesome idea.  I hope you are able to get it working. Smiley  The backgrounds look great too.  I like the really saturated colors, works well with everything else.
Read August 02, 2007, 01:17:33 AM #60
cactus

As good as the new backgrounds look, I'll have to say that I liked the previous background better. I was hoping you'd go for the more industrial tone that the demo and enemy graphics seemed to ooze of. Fighting your way through wave after wave of enemy ships in a dystopian environment is much more my thing than fighting in a tropical paradise.

I might change my mind when I see the game in motion, though. The new backgrounds are certainly well made to say the least. I just don't enjoy that kind of setting as much Tongue
Read August 02, 2007, 01:27:37 AM #61
monoRAIL

As good as the new backgrounds look, I'll have to say that I liked the previous background better. I was hoping you'd go for the more industrial tone that the demo and enemy graphics seemed to ooze of. Fighting your way through wave after wave of enemy ships in a dystopian environment is much more my thing than fighting in a tropical paradise.

I might change my mind when I see the game in motion, though. The new backgrounds are certainly well made to say the least. I just don't enjoy that kind of setting as much Tongue

Yeah I know what you mean - the background's a bit bright and happy. I'm still experimenting with the art style, I should probably do some color concepts and see where I'm going with this. There will however be a distinct progression in the levels. This first level sees the player approaching the enemy's territory and clearing out the air defences. Later levels will get lower down and involve air to ground fighting. I'm not sure if I could do a convincing top-down urban environment in 2D, but we'll see.
Read August 02, 2007, 10:47:19 AM #62
LamptonWorm

Looks great, good stuff.
Read August 02, 2007, 11:13:02 AM #63
Matt McFarland

Looks interesting, based on the screen shots Id like to offer a suggestion or two:

1. I'd like to see some sandy beaches, and maybe trees?  The islands look good as is, but adding detail would make them look 10x better.  Even if you plan on doing this on levels where you're closer to the ground, I think it's highly needed at the high-altitude levels.

2. Perhaps some ships in the water too? Smiley

3. Clouds would be awesome!!!  Maybe a cloud here or there, above the ship but not opaque, and perhaps clouds underneath as well.  Maybe a couple here and there just to add flavor.

Just thoughts that zoomed in my head within seconds of looking at the images.   angel
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 11:14:46 AM by Matt McFarland »

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read August 02, 2007, 03:03:54 PM #64
Shoot-em-upper

As good as the new backgrounds look, I'll have to say that I liked the previous background better. I was hoping you'd go for the more industrial tone that the demo and enemy graphics seemed to ooze of.

Or, you could have it start out like the current backgrounds, then as you progressed through the level, the clouds would turn more of a dark gray color and the islands would have buildings and machinery, etc.  Then, you'd reach the mainland and fly over the enemy capital city.  Or something like that.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 07, 2007, 01:02:06 PM #65
monoRAIL

Just as an experiment I tried adding DroneSwarm to my Steam games list and calling up the new friends list and chat overlay... and it works! w00t. So your friends will know when you're playing DroneSwarm :-)

Read August 09, 2007, 04:24:33 AM #66
Alex

eddie: word up g?
matt: jst comin up to the boss now...
eddie: gd luck...
matt: shit... he's shooting at me.......  while I'm typing this..

*kablooey*

eddie: lol pwned!!!11!!11one!11
Read August 09, 2007, 04:26:03 AM #67
Alex

Nice work by the way.  Would be cool if there could be some 2 player action as well Smiley with voice chat.  Add that to the to do list...
Read August 09, 2007, 09:09:54 AM #68
monoRAIL

Local two player is definitely on the list, maybe not for the competition, but certainly on the long-term list. And Valve have very kindly taken care of voice-chat with their Steam community, so that's already checked off the list  Grin
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:11:59 AM by monoRAIL »

Read August 19, 2007, 12:17:22 PM #69
monoRAIL

Not much new stuff to show, I've had the flu and progress has been slow. Might have a new demo out in the next week or so.
Here's the logo for now:

Read August 19, 2007, 07:08:40 PM #70
Shoot-em-upper

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - logo)

Nice logo.  I recognize the wing from the player ship, but what's the red thing underneath?  Is it just a random decoration?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 20, 2007, 09:44:23 AM #71
mice

it's the cockpit windows on one of the planes, right?
God I'm good!
Read August 20, 2007, 10:28:57 AM #72
Five Damned Dollarz

it's the cockpit windows on one of the planes, right?
God I'm good!
Damn right you are good, now you should finish Tanks A Lot Smiley
Good job picking that out too... Good design Smiley
Read August 20, 2007, 05:07:22 PM #73
Adigun A. Polack

I really like the title logo design of yours as well, monoRAIL... it is looking pretty good, you know!?  Grin

If you step up the logo to something better, I think it would be excellent, but as it is right now, a very good start for you!!  Wink=b !
Read August 23, 2007, 07:55:40 PM #74
Shoot-em-upper

I feel so stupid... Tongue

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 10, 2007, 12:39:20 PM #75
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - screenshots and DEMO!)

New screenshots:

Demo coming VERY SOON (the guys on the IRC channel are testing it for me)
Read September 10, 2007, 01:00:45 PM #76
monoRAIL

Thanks X-Out for testing the demo.

Click here townload the DroneSwarm demo!
Read September 10, 2007, 03:08:03 PM #77
Mogster

Wow awesome game extremely professional, I thoroughly enjoyed your demo.

Only thing that annoyed me to begin with was the collision box, but I worked through it, just a bit of getting used to with a large ship.

awesome work well worth the effort.
Read September 10, 2007, 03:44:18 PM #78
Adigun A. Polack

The download time was a little slow for the latest version, monoRAIL, but THANK God that what you did with the game was *definitely* worth the wait, I must say!!!  You know why?  Because this game has a deep learning curve that is so easy for players to get into, in that it requires such wonderful and careful marksmanship on the enemies in order to fill that Efficiency meter to call forth additional drones, and that is so VERY well done!!!  d=Grin=b !

Overall, I am quite impressed with how this game is turning out so far, my splendid man!!!  cool1 !!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 03:46:29 PM by Adigun A. Polack »
Read September 11, 2007, 12:30:12 AM #79
monoRAIL

Mogster - glad you liked it. The hit box isn't very big, you only die if you get hit in the engines. I'll make a video soon to demonstrate how you can actually squeeze through some pretty tight bullet patterns.

Adigun - glad you liked it. I've tried to make it easy to just blast through the level without worrying about a high score, but for experienced players who try to get a higher score it can be quite challenging. If you're very accurate with your bullets at the start you should be able to take down 3 of the stealth bombers Wink
Read September 11, 2007, 05:37:10 AM #80
Shoot-em-upper

At least this game runs on my computer.  Very nice, the menu screen especially, but the controls felt a bit unresponsive, like the game was running slowly.  Could you please tighten up the movement a bit?  It feels vague with all the bullets to dodge and whatnot.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 11, 2007, 07:03:13 AM #81
monoRAIL

I recommend playing the game with an Xbox 360 gamepad or similar. Fine analog control makes dodging bullets and lining up accurate shots much easier than playing with the keyboard. The movement speed has been significantly increased in response to feedback from the first demo, but let me know if anybody else feels the movement still needs tuning.
Read September 11, 2007, 07:16:30 AM #82
Alex

How about a bit points bonus for killing the third stealth plane, or it drops a pickup that gives you heaps of points if you collect it.  And a voiceover "Skill Bonus".

I think a bit of a speed boost would be handy, people like to go fast I think.  But not so fast that one touch of the direction controls sends you halfway across the screen.  If anything, just make it so the movement is slightly faster than the speed of the bullets, so you can reverse quicker than they come towards you.

Other than all that nitpicking, I like this game heaps and I've had as much fun playing it as I have writing the music and sounds for it, and I love writing music and sounds Cheesy
Read September 11, 2007, 10:38:30 AM #83
monoRAIL

YouTube Video

640x360 WMV video - 20Mb
Read September 12, 2007, 01:26:53 AM #84
Pixel_Outlaw

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - demo and videos)

This looks very crisp and clean.
Just watching the video I can tell that the game looks very fluid in motion. The colors are nicely chosen and your palette is well defined. Good luck with this. Grin

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read September 12, 2007, 04:19:43 AM #85
TehSilentOne

that's some hot music you have there. Smiley and i love the stealth fighter design.
Read September 12, 2007, 07:40:49 PM #86
Adigun A. Polack

I thought the music and sounds for this game are QUITE a seriously excellent job as well!!!  Just thought I’d toss it at ‘ya there.  grin2 !!
Read September 12, 2007, 11:23:39 PM #87
Griff

Looking pretty awesome!  Nice job!
Read September 13, 2007, 12:59:23 PM #88
Alex

Thank you for the kind comments about the sounds and music.
Read September 13, 2007, 04:50:24 PM #89
Adigun A. Polack

Thank you for the kind comments about the sounds and music.

No problem, Alex my man, and just keep up the splendid work that you are doing!!!  d=Wink=b !
Read September 16, 2007, 08:57:51 AM #90
DrPetter

I normally don't really like high-resolution 2D games, but in this one it actually feels crisp and refreshing. The widescreen format also adds some flair.
Can't say anything bad about the gameplay, it's got a nice meaty feel for the gunfire and explosions.

The graphics are overall good with lots of great detail, but the highly saturated background colors kind of spoil it in my eyes. It was the first thing I noticed on the screenshots and it distracts a lot of attention from the real action, which is too bad since most everything else looks really good. The water and vegetation appear radiant to the point of being some kind of plasma, as if it's lit from inside.

I've made a quick edit to one of the screens, hoping to show what I'm talking about:

This has actually been a bit of a recurring annoyance for me since I read some stuff about color vision and color use in art - most people who don't think too much about it use excessive saturation when coloring "earth" objects like natural scenery, and simply dropping the saturation by sometimes as much as 50% can make an image look a lot more realistic.
It's important to consider all three elements of color when drawing something - hue, saturation, value/intensity.

Using moderate saturation in the scenery will make explosions and other special effects stand out so much more in contrast. Also, areas with less saturation and contrast will seem farther away, so changing the background in this manner while keeping the sprites intact will increase the sense of depth and better separate the gameplay elements from the scenery.

Great job though, I'll definitely be playing this some more once I get my computer sorted out (it's currently unstable and crash-prone when running heavy graphics applications, so I've only given this a short run yet).
Read September 17, 2007, 02:06:46 AM #91
monoRAIL

Thanks for the advice DrPetter, I've been too busy creating the game to take the time to step back and review the art properly. It really helps to have someone come to the game with a fresh eye and point out obvious mistakes!
Read September 23, 2007, 04:44:40 AM #92
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - boss)

Here's a quick preview of the end of level boss for stage 1:

Read September 23, 2007, 07:04:32 AM #93
X-0ut

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - boss preview)

Looking good Smiley
Read September 30, 2007, 10:45:56 AM #94
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm (Completed)

All done! See first post for download.

YouTube video of Stage 1 - including how to beat the boss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92PoS1NBwHE

Higher quality .wmv
http://droneswarm.com/video/DroneSwarm_Level1.wmv [29Mb]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:18:58 AM by monoRAIL »

Read October 01, 2007, 02:35:23 PM #95
cactus

I love the smooth look of this game. The enemies that flash in red and seems to appear from some kind of stealth mode are very cool and the boss looks amazing. Very nice sense of style, and the colors makes it a feast for the eyes. The menu is also very hot. You'll be a tough competitor for sure Cheesy
Read October 03, 2007, 11:57:12 PM #96
monoRAIL

http://droneswarm.com

The DroneSwarm website is now up with lots of movies, screenshots and other goodies like messenger icons and system information.
Read October 05, 2007, 06:49:27 PM #97
berilium

I LOVE YOUR GAME!!!
Read October 08, 2007, 06:58:32 AM #98
Linley

This looks really, really nice. I love the player ship design. Actually, all of the designs are good. It's not really playable on my computer (stupid geforce 2) but I wish it was.
Read October 09, 2007, 05:04:06 AM #99
Pixel_Outlaw

I just played the compo version. I must say the amount of detail put into the designs is really nice. I did enjoy the demo but as some others said I don't know if I'm sold on inertia yet. Great submission. Grin

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read October 16, 2007, 03:41:47 PM #100
kaspal

i love the art of this game, actually, i love this game, but i dont know why it crawls on my machie... i have this machine specs, hoping for you to gimme some advice:

MAD Athlon XP 2000+
512 DDR RAM
80GB HDD
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
nVidia GeForce 5200 w/128 VRAM

any clues of why this games crawls on my system?
Read November 06, 2011, 05:29:57 PM #101
Metarex Master

Well I like this one a ton, and I can't wait for the next stages to be done. The Drone-using thing is very unique, but sometimes I find it troublesome that your EXP decreases when you shoot and don't hit anything.

Also I noticed that your ships in this look a lot like the Neuroi-Infected ships in Strike Witches. They have that same Red and Black motiff with hexagon-like spots on them and shoot red lasers from the red spots in similar ways too. Did you do this on purpose, or is it just coincidence?
Read November 07, 2011, 02:04:20 AM #102
monoRAIL

Metarex - I hadn't seen Strike Witches when I made this game, I'll have to check it out.

I'm currently working on an iPad strategy game based on DroneSwarm which will hopefully be released early next year. Maybe after that's done I'll come back to the shmup version of DroneSwarm and finish it.
Read November 07, 2011, 02:10:40 AM #103
Metarex Master

Wow, an Ipad game that is similar. I'd love to see it.

Also will this one have an Iphone version too? Becuase I don't have an Ipad, but I do have an Iphone.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 01:41:30 PM by Metarex Master »
Read November 09, 2011, 06:34:26 AM #104
monoRAIL

It will be iPad only at first, but if it does well I'll probably do an iPhone/iPod Touch version too.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 18 queries.