Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ DroneSwarm (Completed)

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Read September 11, 2007, 05:37:10 AM #80
Shoot-em-upper

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - screenshots and DEMO!)

At least this game runs on my computer.  Very nice, the menu screen especially, but the controls felt a bit unresponsive, like the game was running slowly.  Could you please tighten up the movement a bit?  It feels vague with all the bullets to dodge and whatnot.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 11, 2007, 07:03:13 AM #81
monoRAIL

I recommend playing the game with an Xbox 360 gamepad or similar. Fine analog control makes dodging bullets and lining up accurate shots much easier than playing with the keyboard. The movement speed has been significantly increased in response to feedback from the first demo, but let me know if anybody else feels the movement still needs tuning.
Read September 11, 2007, 07:16:30 AM #82
Alex

How about a bit points bonus for killing the third stealth plane, or it drops a pickup that gives you heaps of points if you collect it.  And a voiceover "Skill Bonus".

I think a bit of a speed boost would be handy, people like to go fast I think.  But not so fast that one touch of the direction controls sends you halfway across the screen.  If anything, just make it so the movement is slightly faster than the speed of the bullets, so you can reverse quicker than they come towards you.

Other than all that nitpicking, I like this game heaps and I've had as much fun playing it as I have writing the music and sounds for it, and I love writing music and sounds Cheesy
Read September 11, 2007, 10:38:30 AM #83
monoRAIL

YouTube Video

640x360 WMV video - 20Mb
Read September 12, 2007, 01:26:53 AM #84
Pixel_Outlaw

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - demo and videos)

This looks very crisp and clean.
Just watching the video I can tell that the game looks very fluid in motion. The colors are nicely chosen and your palette is well defined. Good luck with this. Grin

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read September 12, 2007, 04:19:43 AM #85
TehSilentOne

that's some hot music you have there. Smiley and i love the stealth fighter design.
Read September 12, 2007, 07:40:49 PM #86
Adigun A. Polack

I thought the music and sounds for this game are QUITE a seriously excellent job as well!!!  Just thought Id toss it at ya there.  grin2 !!
Read September 12, 2007, 11:23:39 PM #87
Griff

Looking pretty awesome!  Nice job!
Read September 13, 2007, 12:59:23 PM #88
Alex

Thank you for the kind comments about the sounds and music.
Read September 13, 2007, 04:50:24 PM #89
Adigun A. Polack

Thank you for the kind comments about the sounds and music.

No problem, Alex my man, and just keep up the splendid work that you are doing!!!  d=Wink=b !
Read September 16, 2007, 08:57:51 AM #90
DrPetter

I normally don't really like high-resolution 2D games, but in this one it actually feels crisp and refreshing. The widescreen format also adds some flair.
Can't say anything bad about the gameplay, it's got a nice meaty feel for the gunfire and explosions.

The graphics are overall good with lots of great detail, but the highly saturated background colors kind of spoil it in my eyes. It was the first thing I noticed on the screenshots and it distracts a lot of attention from the real action, which is too bad since most everything else looks really good. The water and vegetation appear radiant to the point of being some kind of plasma, as if it's lit from inside.

I've made a quick edit to one of the screens, hoping to show what I'm talking about:

This has actually been a bit of a recurring annoyance for me since I read some stuff about color vision and color use in art - most people who don't think too much about it use excessive saturation when coloring "earth" objects like natural scenery, and simply dropping the saturation by sometimes as much as 50% can make an image look a lot more realistic.
It's important to consider all three elements of color when drawing something - hue, saturation, value/intensity.

Using moderate saturation in the scenery will make explosions and other special effects stand out so much more in contrast. Also, areas with less saturation and contrast will seem farther away, so changing the background in this manner while keeping the sprites intact will increase the sense of depth and better separate the gameplay elements from the scenery.

Great job though, I'll definitely be playing this some more once I get my computer sorted out (it's currently unstable and crash-prone when running heavy graphics applications, so I've only given this a short run yet).
Read September 17, 2007, 02:06:46 AM #91
monoRAIL

Thanks for the advice DrPetter, I've been too busy creating the game to take the time to step back and review the art properly. It really helps to have someone come to the game with a fresh eye and point out obvious mistakes!
Read September 23, 2007, 04:44:40 AM #92
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - boss)

Here's a quick preview of the end of level boss for stage 1:

Read September 23, 2007, 07:04:32 AM #93
X-0ut

Re: DroneSwarm (updated - boss preview)

Looking good Smiley
Read September 30, 2007, 10:45:56 AM #94
monoRAIL

Re: DroneSwarm (Completed)

All done! See first post for download.

YouTube video of Stage 1 - including how to beat the boss:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92PoS1NBwHE

Higher quality .wmv
http://droneswarm.com/video/DroneSwarm_Level1.wmv [29Mb]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:18:58 AM by monoRAIL »

Read October 01, 2007, 02:35:23 PM #95
cactus

I love the smooth look of this game. The enemies that flash in red and seems to appear from some kind of stealth mode are very cool and the boss looks amazing. Very nice sense of style, and the colors makes it a feast for the eyes. The menu is also very hot. You'll be a tough competitor for sure Cheesy
Read October 03, 2007, 11:57:12 PM #96
monoRAIL

http://droneswarm.com

The DroneSwarm website is now up with lots of movies, screenshots and other goodies like messenger icons and system information.
Read October 05, 2007, 06:49:27 PM #97
berilium

I LOVE YOUR GAME!!!
Read October 08, 2007, 06:58:32 AM #98
Linley

This looks really, really nice. I love the player ship design. Actually, all of the designs are good. It's not really playable on my computer (stupid geforce 2) but I wish it was.
Read October 09, 2007, 05:04:06 AM #99
Pixel_Outlaw

I just played the compo version. I must say the amount of detail put into the designs is really nice. I did enjoy the demo but as some others said I don't know if I'm sold on inertia yet. Great submission. Grin

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read October 16, 2007, 03:41:47 PM #100
kaspal

i love the art of this game, actually, i love this game, but i dont know why it crawls on my machie... i have this machine specs, hoping for you to gimme some advice:

MAD Athlon XP 2000+
512 DDR RAM
80GB HDD
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
nVidia GeForce 5200 w/128 VRAM

any clues of why this games crawls on my system?
Read November 06, 2011, 05:29:57 PM #101
Metarex Master

Well I like this one a ton, and I can't wait for the next stages to be done. The Drone-using thing is very unique, but sometimes I find it troublesome that your EXP decreases when you shoot and don't hit anything.

Also I noticed that your ships in this look a lot like the Neuroi-Infected ships in Strike Witches. They have that same Red and Black motiff with hexagon-like spots on them and shoot red lasers from the red spots in similar ways too. Did you do this on purpose, or is it just coincidence?
Read November 07, 2011, 02:04:20 AM #102
monoRAIL

Metarex - I hadn't seen Strike Witches when I made this game, I'll have to check it out.

I'm currently working on an iPad strategy game based on DroneSwarm which will hopefully be released early next year. Maybe after that's done I'll come back to the shmup version of DroneSwarm and finish it.
Read November 07, 2011, 02:10:40 AM #103
Metarex Master

Wow, an Ipad game that is similar. I'd love to see it.

Also will this one have an Iphone version too? Becuase I don't have an Ipad, but I do have an Iphone.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 01:41:30 PM by Metarex Master »
Read November 09, 2011, 06:34:26 AM #104
monoRAIL

It will be iPad only at first, but if it does well I'll probably do an iPhone/iPod Touch version too.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 18 queries.