Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ The Iron Council

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Read June 05, 2007, 07:15:29 PM #0
the2bears

The Iron Council

I've got 2 ideas in competition with each other... one, which is tentatively DS5 is another rapid prototyping thing I'd like to try out, à la DS4 (hence the name Wink )  The other idea is more involved, of course a little experimental as well.  Problem is, neither idea is wholly fleshed out yet.  I might just do both, and figure out from there what to "finish" and submit Smiley

Java/LWJGL as usual.  Maybe squares, maybe not Wink

Update:  Official name change to The Iron Council as the "other idea" seems to be moving forward.  DS5 still exists, just needs some figuring out. 

Update 2:Bah... crunch time and I did get something out the door.  57 seconds late  Shocked  angel

I'll of course accept any decisions regarding that, the game is not finished either way and I wanted to get something "released" more for my own sake.

So, what have we got?  Well, a lot of "we don't haves", like music, scoring, a boss, more levels... you name it.  But we do have a good example of where this game might go, and an introduction to what I'm trying to accomplish.  It's an odd mixture of graphics, and I think the demo I'm showing is a bit too hard.  There's a point where a ton of bullets are on the screen and I really haven't balanced it much.

Keys: Arrows to move, 'Z' to shoot.  'Esc' as usual cycles you out of a game to the menu, and will exit from there.  In the menu, you can select 'options' and toggle between regular and reverse yaw (turning towards your movement and away respectively) as well as the weapon your options fire.

Other than that, shoot everything and don't get hit 3 times Smiley

Note:  There's a version that fixes an issue with the sponsor texture size, available here and a Java Webstart App.

Bill

« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 01:24:22 AM by the2bears »

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read June 05, 2007, 07:31:52 PM #1
Adigun A. Polack

Re: DS5

Hey, my awesome man the2bears, it is GREAT of you to be finally joining into this competition, and I much surely hope that you step it up indeed this year here!!!  d=grin2=b

Your previous compo projects from the past two Shmup-dev compos — Dragon Forever and Riders on the Storm — are such excellent games to play indeed as far as I am concerned... but now, can you keep this tradition soaring high above the clouds with your newest project for this current competition?  I gotta which you such sheer excellence on getting it through to success... and I mean it!!!  Wink !!
Read June 05, 2007, 08:29:07 PM #2
Pixel_Outlaw

Sounds like a solid plan. Smiley
Good luck with this!

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read June 05, 2007, 08:32:54 PM #3
the2bears

Sounds like a solid plan. Smiley
Good luck with this!

Thanks... not sure if it's a solid plan, though.  I've already got Relentless Automata back on track, and now I'll start 2 more projects? Tongue

Bill

Read June 05, 2007, 09:15:31 PM #4
rasher

Java/LWJGL as usual.  Maybe squares, maybe not Wink

Bill

Nice to see you entering and using LWJGL too. Good luck!
Read June 05, 2007, 09:16:42 PM #5
cactus

Ah, another interesting project! Always nice to see people who really experiment with game mechanics. I'm afraid I once again won't be able to play the finished product, though... My hardware is really not much to brag about. And I still haven't been able to enjoy anything but the screenshots from Riders on the Storm.

Maybe you could upload some gameplay vids if you ever find yourself with nothing to do? At least then I could imagine how it would be like to play those games of yours  Cry
Read June 05, 2007, 09:22:13 PM #6
Shoot-em-upper

Yeah, whenever I download something from your site and try to play it, a little DOS window pops up for a few seconds and disappears.  What's with that?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 06, 2007, 12:17:19 AM #7
the2bears

Yeah, whenever I download something from your site and try to play it, a little DOS window pops up for a few seconds and disappears.  What's with that?

Open up a console, then go to the directory where you unzipped the file.  Run "ds4.bat" from there instead of double-clicking the file.  This way any errors will get printed out and will stay there with the console instead of disappearing with the window.  My suspicions are you don't have Java installed, or you do not have up-to-date OpenGL drivers for your graphics card.  Or, your card is too old and won't run them anyway... but the OpenGL stuff I have isn't anything fancy, so unless it's a 486 this is unlikely Smiley  Let me know any error messages that come up.

@cactus - good idea, I'll see about Frapping up a video.

Bill

Read June 06, 2007, 12:51:12 AM #8
Shoot-em-upper

Open up a console, then go to the directory where you unzipped the file.  Run "ds4.bat" from there instead of double-clicking the file.

Console Huh?  What's a console?  Not a Dreamcast, I hope Wink  Anyway, the only way I know how to run the file from the directory is to double-click it.  I think that it's the OpenGL drivers problem, because I have Java.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 06, 2007, 12:54:58 AM #9
the2bears

Open up a console, then go to the directory where you unzipped the file.  Run "ds4.bat" from there instead of double-clicking the file.

Console Huh?  What's a console?  Not a Dreamcast, I hope Wink  Anyway, the only way I know how to run the file from the directory is to double-click it.  I think that it's the OpenGL drivers problem, because I have Java.

Try from your "start" menu to find "run...", click on that and enter "cmd" which should hopefully open up a command prompt window.  "cd <install directory>" then follow the instructions as before.

Bill

Read June 06, 2007, 04:01:07 AM #10
failrate

Very good.  I was wondering if you were going to enter at all, Bill.  Glad to see you in this Cheesy
Read June 07, 2007, 11:59:19 PM #11
the2bears

Re: DS5: Release the Hounds

You might notice a modification to the title.

Here's my current thinking:  DS5: Release the Hounds refers to the rapid prototyping idea I mentioned, and I'm fairly happy with the gameplay.  It will be done, but whether or not it is my entry remains to be seen.  DS5 will act a as a backup, while the as yet untitled entry gets some more thought.  It's an idea that I also want to implement, and should prove to be a good game with a much different style than I usually produce.

Bill

Read July 24, 2007, 09:41:02 PM #12
the2bears

Wow, update shocker Smiley

I'm currently in a funk with DS5, partly due to being incredibly busy at work and also trying to figure out where to take it.  Some rapid prototype Wink

I mentioned a couple ideas in my first post, here's a Java Webstart link to the other idea, The Iron Council.  There's also a Windows standalone here.  This is just a concept, not a game, just a helicopter moving around using the arrow keys and 'Z' to shoot, with 'esc' taking you to the menu and out.  While shooting you lock the yaw of your ship.  I have been, and continue to be inspired by Demolition Gunner and Under Defeat for the Dreamcast Smiley

Bill

Read July 24, 2007, 10:03:48 PM #13
mice

Nice!
Cool that the yaw could be locked at any angle, not just at 0 and 45(?) deg's.

On another point, if you're to take a screenie in your games. How would you do it with lwjgl? glReadPixel?
Cause I just did and it took ages (~3 secs) before the read was done.
Yes, I know it's supposed to be slow but it wasn't this slow when using C.
Sorry for getting OT...  Undecided
Read July 24, 2007, 10:32:28 PM #14
the2bears

Nice!
Cool that the yaw could be locked at any angle, not just at 0 and 45(?) deg's.

On another point, if you're to take a screenie in your games. How would you do it with lwjgl? glReadPixel?
Cause I just did and it took ages (~3 secs) before the read was done.
Yes, I know it's supposed to be slow but it wasn't this slow when using C.
Sorry for getting OT...  Undecided

Thanks, I do like the control scheme... Under Defeat uses about the same, you can lock the yaw and the game also allows you to reverse which way you turn when moving left/right.

As far as screen shots, I never take anything "in game" from the code, though I know people who have.  Fraps works perfectly with LWJGL and that's what I use.

Bill

Read July 25, 2007, 03:02:41 AM #15
monoRAIL

Why not just go with this helicopter idea for your entry - at least you know the gameplay mechanic works. Under Defeat is a great game, it even has a simple option system that you could expand on.
Read July 25, 2007, 03:26:33 AM #16
Tim

Loving it already. I think the shots should be reversed though.
Read July 25, 2007, 04:01:53 AM #17
the2bears

Why not just go with this helicopter idea for your entry - at least you know the gameplay mechanic works. Under Defeat is a great game, it even has a simple option system that you could expand on.

Giving it some serious thought, though I do still want to finish DS5.  But yeah, I'm really liking this one and I put in some options this evening... try the Webstart version again to get the updated version Smiley I'm going to try and do something at least a bit different with them, though, to make this a little unique.  I'm going to have the choice of different options, rockets or gatlings.  The rockets are more powerful, fire at a slower rate, but can slightly adjust and target their path.  If that turns out to be "not enough" work I've been thinking about adding the choice of an airplane, maybe a P38.  The 'copter has an advantage with a wider shot field, the plane would be more powerful straight forward.  Classic shmup trade-offs, balanced a bit by choice of option.

Thank-you.  By shots being reversed you mean your ship's yaw should go towards the direction you move?  Under Defeat offers both control schemes, I think I will to.  The key here will be time, as this "new" art style takes more time than drawing a square Shocked

Bill

Read July 25, 2007, 06:35:17 AM #18
Tim

Thank-you.  By shots being reversed you mean your ship's yaw should go towards the direction you move?  Under Defeat offers both control schemes, I think I will to.  The key here will be time, as this "new" art style takes more time than drawing a square Shocked

Bill

That's it. Sorry I've never piloted a heli before, so I don't know any of the terms. embarrassed2

I'm pretty good at blowing things up though.
Read July 25, 2007, 06:53:30 AM #19
Five Damned Dollarz

Thats a nice Heli. sprite T2B =D
Can't wait to see that badass in action!
Good luck =)
Read July 25, 2007, 05:22:52 PM #20
the2bears

That's it. Sorry I've never piloted a heli before, so I don't know any of the terms. embarrassed2

I've never either, had to look the stuff up on Wikipedia Smiley  Pitch, roll, and yaw.  I like typing yaw Wink

Bill

Read July 25, 2007, 07:20:00 PM #21
Shoot-em-upper

Aww, I like your squares.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 25, 2007, 07:28:42 PM #22
the2bears

Aww, I like your squares.

They'll be back, I'm just experimenting with a different style here. 

Bill

Read July 26, 2007, 08:31:12 PM #23
the2bears

Latest version (still playable from here) has of course options, and 'X' will release missiles from them.  Eventually the gatlings and missiles will be a choice of option type, but for now you can shoot both from them.  And joining the YouTube evolution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V9whvHxkPI

Pretty soon I'll have a MySpace Facebook account Wink

Bill

Read July 26, 2007, 08:55:43 PM #24
ReleX

pretty cool. Chopper looks kind of cartoony (in a good way). Ow and I would blend that rocket smoke if I where you Tongue!

-ReleX

crowd: "WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!"
man: "No I'm not!"
Read July 26, 2007, 09:00:20 PM #25
the2bears

pretty cool. Chopper looks kind of cartoony (in a good way). Ow and I would blend that rocket smoke if I where you Tongue!

-ReleX

Thanks.  Currently there's a bit of blending with the smoke, but I actually want to work on it a bit and get less... actually going for the cartoony look.

Bill

Read August 22, 2007, 04:24:34 AM #26
the2bears

I've uploaded a new video showing off a train track generated from a spline, and a single, very boxy, box car running along it.

Links to try out the latest version are here.  There is still so much work to be done  Shocked

Bill

Read August 22, 2007, 05:21:22 AM #27
mice

Übercool! So smooth.
This could get really fun!
Read August 23, 2007, 07:03:20 AM #28
VilleK

I love shooters which features trains on rails for some reason Smiley .  Like Gunsmoke or Zero Gunner 2.
Looks very cool! Next add some gun-turrets!

ZGameEditor - Develop 64kb games for Windows.
Thrust for Vectrex - ROM-file and 6809 source code.
Read August 23, 2007, 01:46:47 PM #29
the2bears

There'll be lots of gun-turrets and more Smiley  This is going to be a very well-armed and well-armoured train!

Bill

Read August 24, 2007, 05:45:07 AM #30
Adigun A. Polack

There'll be lots of gun-turrets and more Smiley  This is going to be a very well-armed and well-armoured train!

Bill

Good for you, the2bears... and make sure it is FULLY loaded to the teeth so that players can have quite a challenge defeating it!  Just look at the trains from Espgaluda and how they attack, for instance!!  Wink !

If you want it that way, you can, you know?  Grin
Read August 24, 2007, 03:32:26 PM #31
the2bears

Good for you, the2bears... and make sure it is FULLY loaded to the teeth so that players can have quite a challenge defeating it!  Just look at the trains from Espgaluda and how they attack, for instance!!  Wink !

Yes, any excuse for some more "research" Smiley  I'm also looking at Ibara as well, there's a cool train level in that.

Bill

Read August 29, 2007, 04:12:14 PM #32
the2bears

Re: The Iron Council

The first armament has been added, a simple 2-gun turret that tracks your 'copter and fires off short bursts.  Complete with recoil Wink  Anyway, they're rather boringly placed in the center of each train car for now... but I'll be using XML to describe each car and what/where to place on it.  Hopefully there will be lots more to come... plus collision detection and big explosions Smiley

New video up at my blog.  Downloads are there, too.

Bill

Read September 14, 2007, 04:47:04 AM #33
the2bears

Another update is available, via Java Webstart or a Windows download.

The 4th video is up, at my site or at YouTube.  Collision detection is in, 2 types are being used: spheres and bounding boxes (well, actually point in polygons as the bounding box rotates with the train car).  I've added another track that with a small car on it, there will be more of these tracks with various different vehicles on them.  The speed of each train is adjustable, and I've sped up the scrolling speed as well.

Some crappy little explosions can be seen, really just a bit of dust kicking up... nothing like the ones in some of the other games.  Still haven't yet worked out in my head how they should look while remaining true to the somewhat cartoony nature of the graphics.

Bill

Read September 15, 2007, 08:42:36 AM #34
monoRAIL

It plays very smoothly. Are you going to have time to put in a background? By the way, I think the helicopter in Under Defeat turns more, allowing you to aim at a greater angle, and also it turned much faster.
Read September 15, 2007, 03:51:14 PM #35
the2bears

It plays very smoothly. Are you going to have time to put in a background? By the way, I think the helicopter in Under Defeat turns more, allowing you to aim at a greater angle, and also it turned much faster.

I'm afraid a background is not very likely for the contest deadline... I definitely want to continue the game after, though.  We'll see, maybe I'll have a surge of brilliant development this weekend on new weapons.  It's mostly a case of creating the art assets.  I'm not the fastest at that.

I haven't played Under Defeat for 3-4 weeks now, I'll have to play it some more today to compare.  You're probably right, though I'm not sure if I'll change anything.  Maybe increasing the yaw, though.  I do want to add a simple UI selection for reverse directions.

Bill

Read September 17, 2007, 07:33:57 AM #36
Shoot-em-upper

Found a game where you play as a missile-firing train!
http://rail-of-war.freeonlinegames.com/

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 17, 2007, 02:13:02 PM #37
the2bears

Found a game where you play as a missile-firing train!
http://rail-of-war.freeonlinegames.com/

That is pretty cool.  I used to love looking at model railroad sets as a young(er) lad, and thought it would be cool to create a game along that lines.  Add in shooting, like this... nice find.

Bill

Read September 29, 2007, 03:53:25 PM #38
the2bears

Getting something even reasonably finished is going to take a miracle  Embarrassed

I've been too busy with work and family...

Update:  But I'll work today and put up what I've got Smiley

Bill
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 05:45:17 PM by the2bears »

Read September 29, 2007, 10:55:21 PM #39
Adigun A. Polack

Getting something even reasonably finished is going to take a miracle  Embarrassed

I've been too busy with work and family...

Update:  But I'll work today and put up what I've got Smiley

Bill

Excellent!!  It is best indeed to get your courage up and continue working on your entry and get as finished with it as you can and get the VERY latest version in for upload all before the deadline, the2bears... BETTER than nothing, you know?  Wink=b

Give it all you got, my man!!!  Grin !!
Read September 30, 2007, 10:12:28 PM #40
the2bears

Bah... crunch time and I did get something out the door.  57 seconds late  Shocked  angel

I'll of course accept any decisions regarding that, the game is not finished either way and I wanted to get something "released" more for my own sake.

So, what have we got?  Well, a lot of "we don't haves", like music, scoring, a boss, more levels... you name it.  But we do have a good example of where this game might go, and an introduction to what I'm trying to accomplish.  It's an odd mixture of graphics, and I think the demo I'm showing is a bit too hard.  There's a point where a ton of bullets are on the screen and I really haven't balanced it much.

Keys: Arrows to move, 'Z' to shoot.  'Esc' as usual cycles you out of a game to the menu, and will exit from there.  In the menu, you can select 'options' and toggle between regular and reverse yaw (turning towards your movement and away respectively) as well as the weapon your options fire.

Other than that, shoot everything and don't get hit 3 times Smiley

Link in the first post, along with a rehash of this note.

Bill

Read September 30, 2007, 10:59:59 PM #41
cactus

I think your game will be accepted, motorherp said that anything submitted before he gets back from work tomorrow will be safe Wink
Read October 01, 2007, 08:54:39 AM #42
battlegorge

The rail system is well programmed.
Your game reminds me a bit of the train stage in gunbird.
It would be interesting to see your map editor, if you used one to build the railssystem.  Smiley
Read October 01, 2007, 10:25:23 AM #43
monoRAIL

This has a lot of potential - I like how the weapons are concealed in the train and pop out to attack you. I think it would be cool if there was some kind of multi-layered background, like a train track running along a bridge in a canyon, maybe with a river underneath it with barges (which would work just like slower trains). Then turrets placed on the canyon walls - lots of potential for nice parallax scrolling with the train concept. I hope you have the time to work on this more!
Read October 01, 2007, 02:04:31 PM #44
the2bears

Thanks for the comments Smiley

Yeah, I do expect to continue working on this.  I've got a lot of ideas, some of which definitely include some cartoon-like terrain rendering.  That bridge idea is a pretty cool... as might a tunnel that forces you to fly around the mountain.  Definitely need a proper map editor, allowing for manipulation of the track splines and adding/editing enemies at time points.

Thanks for trying it out!

Bill

Read October 01, 2007, 02:18:25 PM #45
cactus

The game wouldn't run on my pc. And I didn't get any error messages. Oh, well. I'm getting a new graphics card installed sometime soon thanks to VilleK, maybe it'll solve whatever the problem is Grin
Read October 01, 2007, 02:22:41 PM #46
X-0ut

I cant see a download link or attachment, am I missing something?
Read October 01, 2007, 02:44:01 PM #47
cactus

First post I think Wink
Read October 01, 2007, 05:40:49 PM #48
the2bears

The game wouldn't run on my pc. And I didn't get any error messages. Oh, well. I'm getting a new graphics card installed sometime soon thanks to VilleK, maybe it'll solve whatever the problem is Grin

The best bet is to start a dos window (a console) and run the .bat file from that.  This way if there are any errors reported they'll hang around with the console rather than close right away (which happens if you "double-click" the .bat file).

Let me know if this shows any errors.

Bill

Read October 02, 2007, 04:16:04 PM #49
mice

Darn!
This is what I get:

Unnamed resources to load: 0
org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Invalid value (1281)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Util.checkGLError(Util.java:56)
        at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.update(Display.java:569)
        at com.the2bears.tic.TheIronCouncil.main(TheIronCouncil.java:162)

Both the fs and windowed versions pops up the window and closes it immediately.
Heeelp!
I only have 5 minutes between baby-starring and diper-changing and I just wasted it on writing this post.  Grin

Read October 02, 2007, 04:38:50 PM #50
the2bears

Odd, I'll check the error and see what crazy things I might be doing Sad

Hmmm... generic error message, passing an invalid argument to a GL method.

Bill
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 04:49:28 PM by the2bears »

Read October 02, 2007, 05:53:01 PM #51
mice

Forgot to mention that I ran the last version without any problems.

EDIT:
And my videocard is some laptop embedded crap (Intel 82855).

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 05:58:55 PM by mice »

Read October 02, 2007, 06:17:00 PM #52
the2bears

Ouch... really dumb mistake on my part.  I added the sponsors' logos image... 800x600, not powers of 2 Sad

I'll fix it and put a version up that you can play.

Bill

Read October 02, 2007, 06:35:58 PM #53
X-0ut

Doesn't work for me either, stalls at the logo screen and the mouse cursor disappears.
Read October 02, 2007, 09:47:52 PM #54
the2bears

Doesn't work for me either, stalls at the logo screen and the mouse cursor disappears.

Probably due to the same thing.  I'll get a patch up tonight.

Bill

Read October 02, 2007, 11:08:57 PM #55
the2bears

Updated version with a patch for the size of the sponsor texture.  And a boss.  Kidding about the boss Smiley  If any of the judges are having the same error this version is the same as the official entry with the exception of the sponsor texture.

Hopefully this should work.

Bill

Read October 03, 2007, 10:13:20 AM #56
mice

Worked fine!
Boiling pacifiers at the moment, but as soon as that's done I'll play it for real.

Read October 03, 2007, 05:16:08 PM #57
BMF

I wasn't able to run it.

This is what I got.

Read October 03, 2007, 06:17:42 PM #58
the2bears

I wasn't able to run it.

This is what I got.

Is that from the latest copy linked "just above"? 

Bill

Read October 03, 2007, 06:18:55 PM #59
BMF

Yep.

Read October 03, 2007, 06:29:10 PM #60
the2bears

Odd, I'll have to look at the source (which is at home, I'm at work) and see if that offers any clue as to what's happening here.  Sorry about that, always an adventure. 

Have you tried the Java Webstart version?

Thanks,

Bill

Read October 03, 2007, 07:35:12 PM #61
BMF

That one works, thanks. Smiley

Read October 03, 2007, 08:40:34 PM #62
the2bears

That one works, thanks. Smiley

Great Smiley

Bill

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 18 queries.