Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Crisis Breaker <Ready for competition>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read June 23, 2007, 11:13:00 AM #0
gyger

Crisis Breaker <Ready for competition>

Important Notice:

Requesting the help of a musician to compose music for this game. The preferable format is midi.

Premise:

Take control of an advanced drone carrier aircraft and turn the tides of battle. By harvesting the remains of the enemy craft, new drones can be constructed and sent into battle. Be warned, the enemy will not take your assaults lightly. They will intensify their attacks on you should you become a serious threat.

Controls:

WASD - movement
Left mouse button - primary barrage/debris collection
Left mouse button + Right mouse button - directed fire
Q,E - cycle through commands for the onboard fabricator
construct - spend credits to build new drones and launches the old ones when complete
upgrade - spend credits to increase the tech level of the drones
P - quit to weapon select

Display(not final):

The top bar is the balance bar, representing the enemy's influence (blue) as compared to your side(red).
The bottom left contains the status information for the player:
The red bar is the shield bar. (game over at 0)
The 2 black boxes indicate the fabrication of the left and right drones respectively, the current drone will launch and a new one will be fabricated when they are visible
The yellow bar represents the relative amount of credits required to reach the next tech level
The black box holds the current tech level of the ship, the higher the level, the better the drone produced.

Tips:

- Hold the LMB and tap the RMB to quickly destroy and harvest weaker enemies
- The primary barrage is more powerful and concentrated than directed fire, but it is not as versatile
- The balance bar may affect the direction the stage takes you

Screenshots:

Arms installation is complete, good luck.

First wave of enemies

Attack from a safe distance

Be prepared for attacks from above and below

The boss, or is it?

Credits:
Sound effects are from GroovyAudio

Demo:

V0.80 (should be contest ready) Available below
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 11:33:27 AM by gyger »

Steel Armada Onslaught - Yoyogames Ancient Civ Contest Entry
Read June 23, 2007, 11:40:51 AM #1
motorherp

Re: Fabricator <Working Title>

Awesome idea for options, I look forward to seeing how this works out.

Read June 23, 2007, 12:15:45 PM #2
ReleX

Great idea! hope you can make it work!

-ReleX

crowd: "WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!"
man: "No I'm not!"
Read June 23, 2007, 01:07:23 PM #3
alillm

Sounds like a solid idea Smiley, keep us updated, I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Ali
Read June 23, 2007, 08:30:21 PM #4
Shoot-em-upper

Looks great!  It's a bit like Tumiki Fighters.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 23, 2007, 08:39:43 PM #5
gyger

Thanks for the feedback. The customisation would be closer to Axelay/Raptor: Call of the Shadows in the direction I am going.

Read September 27, 2007, 09:04:58 AM #6
gyger

Re: Crisis Breaker <New Title, was Fabricator>

<MAJOR UPDATE>
Please see first post.
- new screenshots available
- demo now available

(I hope a double post is justified in this case)

Read September 27, 2007, 11:20:44 AM #7
Five Damned Dollarz

Re: Crisis Breaker <New Title, was Fabricator>

That's pretty fun, I liked it, the bosses were good, nice difficulty too Smiley
Cool option system, though, I didn't understand Build and Upgrade Tongue
Read October 02, 2007, 03:43:22 AM #8
Shoot-em-upper

Re: Crisis Breaker <Ready for competition>

Great game, but I'd prefer arrow keys and z/x for the motion and firing/gathering, respectively.

I suppose that it's too late to change that, though.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read October 02, 2007, 11:07:51 AM #9
Ichigo Jam

Great game, but I'd prefer arrow keys and z/x for the motion and firing/gathering, respectively.
Then how would you aim? (Assuming you can't use the mouse at the same time as cursors+z+x)

About the game: I don't get what the point of 'construct' mode is. 'Upgrade' mode is clearly useful - it makes your options better. But 'construct' just builds new ones, which replace the old ones but aren't any better?
Read October 03, 2007, 10:29:42 AM #10
gyger

About the game: I don't get what the point of 'construct' mode is. 'Upgrade' mode is clearly useful - it makes your options better. But 'construct' just builds new ones, which replace the old ones but aren't any better?

The construct mode is mainly there to shift the balance bar to the left especially if you let any enemies pass you. This will ultimately affect where the stage takes you.

Read October 06, 2007, 12:14:53 PM #11
Ichigo Jam

The construct mode is mainly there to shift the balance bar to the left especially if you let any enemies pass you. This will ultimately affect where the stage takes you.
OK, I thought it might be something like that, but I found it easy enough to get the balance bar in my favour that I didn't find this necessary.
It might be nice to have some extra indication when things happen which affect the balance so it's more obvious to the player what's going on. Maybe a bit of text like "Balance -3" could appear where an enemy leaves the screen (And "Balance +10" or whatever when a newly built option leaves the top of the screen.)

I did deliberately replay and do badly Smiley so I could see what happens - I do like the branching idea!
Read October 07, 2007, 10:54:03 AM #12
gyger

OK, I thought it might be something like that, but I found it easy enough to get the balance bar in my favour that I didn't find this necessary.
It might be nice to have some extra indication when things happen which affect the balance so it's more obvious to the player what's going on. Maybe a bit of text like "Balance -3" could appear where an enemy leaves the screen (And "Balance +10" or whatever when a newly built option leaves the top of the screen.)

I did deliberately replay and do badly Smiley so I could see what happens - I do like the branching idea!

I did not really have time to meddle with the game balance so I just put the branch decision in the middle of the balance bar so any reasonably skilled player can decide where the stage goes.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.