Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Varia (Done)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Read July 10, 2007, 09:16:42 PM #80
Adigun A. Polack

Re: Varia

I quite agree, my man Kairos.  I quite agree.  police=b !
Read July 10, 2007, 09:24:40 PM #81
alillm

I agree, stick with varia, it has a nice ring to it Smiley.

The new screen looks sweet by the way  Grin

Ali
Read July 11, 2007, 08:06:55 PM #82
jellyf15h

I am humbled by your gfx. ._. release a demo soon or be owned I'll cry and make you feel bad.
Read July 11, 2007, 08:35:29 PM #83
Kairos

One of the greatest joys a game developer can have is his ability to tease people with screenshots and videos... It makes up for the stress that one gets while creating a large scale game.

...Don't worry, I won't do too much of it. But a demo, not yet. There's a lot I have to put together to present, even for just a demo.
Read July 12, 2007, 11:02:20 PM #84
Shoot-em-upper

I thought that you did a demo.  Although it's impossibly primitive compared to Varia's current status.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 12, 2007, 11:45:26 PM #85
Kairos

That was more like a compatibility check than anything, and to see people's opinions. I wouldn't have considered it a demo because it lacked a lot. Yes, right now that thing is impossibly primitive, at that time I wasn't even sure if I was going to bother working on Varia!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 11:47:05 PM by Kairos »
Read July 13, 2007, 02:07:09 PM #86
Kairos

Obviously an unreleased concept art of the first boss, you'll find other art in the credits once it's done.

Do note that this was a fast drawing before I planned it out on the computer, so it's slightly crappy in terms of perfection. My shading may look stupid too, I'm not sure.

Boss in-game will be modified to look like this a bit more later.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 02:18:47 PM by Kairos »
Read July 13, 2007, 03:42:52 PM #87
ReleX

Re: Varia, Minor concept art

so it's slightly crappy in terms of perfection. My shading may look stupid too, I'm not sure.

shut up... Its awsome.

-ReleX

crowd: "WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!"
man: "No I'm not!"
Read July 14, 2007, 12:40:07 AM #88
Shoot-em-upper

...at that time I wasn't even sure if I was going to bother working on Varia!

Thanks for bothering.  Love the drawing.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 15, 2007, 03:56:20 PM #89
Nobody

Re: Varia, Minor concept art

STOP MAKING AN AWESOME ENTRY PLEASE >: (
Read July 17, 2007, 07:26:45 PM #90
Kairos

STOP MAKING AN AWESOME ENTRY PLEASE >: (

No. =)

Link: http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8752/progresscq3.png

Prelude to 2nd level boss, btw.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 07:29:25 PM by Kairos »
Read July 17, 2007, 10:28:52 PM #91
Deleter

Like the visual style, very nicely done.
Read July 18, 2007, 01:21:18 AM #92
kemical

I like the recent screen, looking great  Grin
Read July 18, 2007, 09:56:48 PM #93
Mogster

I'm really impressed by this entry extremely stylish good luck.
Read July 19, 2007, 08:11:36 PM #94
ReleX

I dont even need to tell you it looks great... you know that by now right?

-ReleX

crowd: "WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!"
man: "No I'm not!"
Read July 20, 2007, 06:01:34 PM #95
Kairos

This will be the last screenshot I'll post, for a while.

This thing likes to smash it's sides together, btw. That's all I'll leave for you to know.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/CKairos/progress-9.png
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 06:25:11 PM by Kairos »
Read July 24, 2007, 12:26:07 AM #96
Shoot-em-upper

Your game looks incredibly awesome, but the background confuses me.  Will it be stationary or moving?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 27, 2007, 11:19:30 PM #97
JollyFish

Thas hot. :]
Tease us more plz
Read August 10, 2007, 02:10:26 PM #98
Kairos

Background moves. The last screen is the background coming up at you, or you're going into a tunnel.

I'm not dead, btw. Here's a shot of the 3rd level background:

(Not Scaled)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/CKairos/progress-13.png

Expect a demo near the end of August.

Things I need major work on: Gameplay Balance, finishing the levels + secret boss, options, etc. Basically everything must be finished around the start of September because I can't work on games during school - extra curricular activities and homework will leave me very little time.

Though I might work on something else even during the school year.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:27:08 PM by Kairos »
Read August 26, 2007, 03:31:12 PM #99
Kairos

Watch the teaser.

(Explosions and graphics are still in a primitive stage)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uu8TOBmZAs

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:13:13 AM by Kairos »
Read August 27, 2007, 03:42:45 AM #100
monoRAIL

Re: Varia - Teaser Video 8/26/07

Awesome - it looks very satisfying shooting the parts of that large spinning boss. And the space-warp explosion is still very cool.
Read August 27, 2007, 06:44:51 AM #101
Linley

That video is very nice, especially that explosion, the freeze-type options and the range of weapons the player is using. Seeing it makes me a bit sad, because if the system requirements of Kairuga are anything to go by my old GeForce2 won't be able to run this very well...
(Yeah, I need to upgrade)
Read August 27, 2007, 04:04:37 PM #102
Kairos

Yea, unfortunately the system requirements are going to be a bit steeper than Kairuga. A 2.10 ghz processor, 128 mb graphics card (not integrated), 512 RAM at minimum. But I'll have options for low/high graphic effects, hopefully giving a chance for a more wider audience to play.
Read August 29, 2007, 01:25:12 PM #103
Kairos

Sorry for the double post but I'm sure that the demo will make up for it.

Download

Mirror

I released this demo to a private community a bit ago for feedback. What you'll be playing is a slightly hard mode of the game, and the graphics are obviously average for now. I will tweak the difficulty in the final version, of course. The graphics will also be polished. And music, of course, that will be in.

Navigate the menu with arrow keys, use Enter to select. Only things working as of now are Start, Tutorial and Exit. R restarts the game.

Enjoy. Any feedback is welcome, though suggestions can't be taken; I have my plans for the game and with school starting soon, I won't be able to work on this much.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 02:29:50 PM by Kairos »
Read August 29, 2007, 01:33:39 PM #104
E-Magination

Re: Varia - Demo 8/29/07

Very nice, though my PC was strongly struggling to get the FPS count up. It felt like the FPS went down by 5 every 3 enemies.
Read August 29, 2007, 01:39:55 PM #105
Kairos

Yea, unfortunately the system requirements are going to be a bit steeper than Kairuga. A 2.10 ghz processor, 128 mb graphics card (not integrated), 512 RAM at minimum. But I'll have options for low/high graphic effects, hopefully giving a chance for a more wider audience to play.

Hopefully the graphics option will help some people with FPS, because this game is pretty demanding for the type it is.
Read August 29, 2007, 02:17:33 PM #106
monoRAIL

Nice demo - it ran at a reasonable framerate for me. The tutorial is very handy. I like the graphical style and the options system is great.

On the downside, the lack of joystick support is annoying. Also, it would be simpler if locking the options in formation was a toggle rather than a hold function. Finally, the difficulty needs tuning - it's much too hard at the moment.

Keep it up, this one's looking really nice.
Read August 29, 2007, 02:25:37 PM #107
Kairos

Wouldn't JoyTokey work for the game? I do not have a gamepad and therefore cannot implement a system at this stage.

The locking system, well... you have to hold. It feels natural to me that way. If I can find any free time to implement more options, I'll see if I can do a toggle option. Though, not likely in time for the compo.

Got the difficulty part noted already. Thanks.

Read August 29, 2007, 03:32:56 PM #108
X-0ut

Worked flawlessly on my crap pc (fx 5200, 512ddr, 2ghz p4).
Only bit of slowdown was during the boss explosions, which is acceptable.

Now for some feedback, its hard. Very hard. Infact its so hard I had to quit at the 2nd boss.
I must have spent a good 10 minutes on each boss pumping it full of bullets, its just too long.
For the style of game (bullet hell) the player hitbox seems overly large. A joystick control would help with the dodging, using a keyboard for fast reflex style games is pretty tough.

The arena mode type section on stage2, when you go "into the screen" is a great idea, really liked that.
Overall, its shaping up great, just needs some difficulty balancing.
Read August 29, 2007, 04:00:46 PM #109
Kairos

There's nothing after the 2nd boss anyway in that demo, heh.

Yes, the difficulty being reported has been noted with several underlines.  Tongue

The hitbox works with the border of the area you are playing in. I did quite some testing to make sure that options don't stick to the border when you move along it (if anyone noticed, you can freeze your option and move them by pushing against a wall); leading to a somewhat large hitbox size for this type of game. Adjusting the size would be very troublesome, so I'll make sure the difficulty is just right.

I'll probably supply a link to JoyToKey along with the game download, because I've said before that I don't have a gamepad (yea, I suck). Unless, again, I magically find some free time to implement these things.
Read August 30, 2007, 12:31:14 AM #110
monoRAIL

I played it with Joy 2 Key and it worked pretty well, except when you're firing with your thumb, it's hard to hold down another key to lock the options in place - unless your joypad has shoulder buttons like a PS2 or Xbox pad. Also, Joy 2 Key is just simulating keyboard input - but the game is ignoring the analog sensitivity of the joystick. I like true analog control, where you can carefully control the speed of your ship, like in Geometry Wars or Super Stardust HD. I highly recommend you buy yourself an analog gamepad, not only so that you can support analog input in your games, but also because it makes playing other people's games more fun.
Read August 30, 2007, 01:19:59 AM #111
Kairos

Because my parents hate games, I probably can't get one too soon, unless I can surprise them by getting something in this compo to change their minds.  Undecided

They haven't talked to me much since I started on the game, because they thought it was a real bad idea.

Ah, well. I'll see if I can add the toggle option at least.

Also, the ship has a set amount of speed to move by, it doesn't build up. If I recall correctly, Ikaruga played like this.

Thanks for the suggestions. If I can't squeeze em in this game, they'll be in future ones  Tongue
Read August 30, 2007, 02:46:32 AM #112
brog

Because my parents hate games, I probably can't get one too soon, unless I can surprise them by getting something in this compo to change their minds.  Undecided

They haven't talked to me much since I started on the game, because they thought it was a real bad idea.

WTF, where did you get these parents?
Are they not aware that programming is a valid profession (as in, you can get paid money to do it) and also a useful skill in many situations (increasingly so as computers become ever more ubiquitous)?  As well as being a good mental discipline because it trains you to think logically, to break problems down into small manageable steps, and to explain concepts to someone (i.e. the computer) with no understanding of them?  And that writing games is the best way to learn to program because of what you have to show at the end?

Or even that some time of relaxation and entertainment and some time spent in constructive self-directed creative activity are both essential to the development and sanity of the human mind?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 04:16:55 AM by brog »

Read August 30, 2007, 01:01:36 PM #113
Kairos

They are aware, they just doubt I can make it in this field because I haven't produced the next Legend of Zelda for them to see, and plus I should be doing "other things" rather than sitting near the computer for most of the day.

They see one of my shmups and go, "What's that? I don't see anything fun - you're just shooting things. That's all you can do? You're better off throwing this stuff away, go read some biology books instead"

They never really bought any games for me either.

Parents never understand  Tongue
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 01:03:12 PM by Kairos »
Read August 30, 2007, 01:54:23 PM #114
the2bears

Well, as a programmer of both games, and non-games, and a parent as well, I'll give you the encouragement that you should be getting from your parents Smiley  Few people will make a Zelda, but you've definitely got some talent that you should keep working on.  Worst thing is you've got yourself a hobby that's a creative outlet.  Best thing is you work 80 hours a week for almost minimum wage Wink  Seriously, though, having something to show people is great.  There's not a single employer I've had who wouldn't be impressed with a person who showed them stuff they'd done like a game.  Doesn't matter if it's a game job or not, you show you can start and finish a product.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read August 30, 2007, 03:47:09 PM #115
Kairos

Haha, thanks Bill. While my folks might not like what I'm currently doing, I'm pretty sure they'll change over time. Though, if anyone knows how the old strict asian parents were, changing is definitely the last thing on their minds. It's just that a relative of mine didn't get too far in education after getting addicted to video games - and thus my folks thought it was a perfect excuse to scold me for trying to play/ create them.

At least my aunt bought me the tools for making them  Smiley   
Read August 30, 2007, 04:24:38 PM #116
the2bears

Yeah, wait until you're a parent Smiley  Two sides to every story.  I will of course add that education is very important.  I see more than a few people in the software industry here who dropped out of college during the dot com boom and are still riding some sort of entitlement wave. 

I'm a firm believer in the "liberal arts" style of education I received.  1/2 CPSC and 1/2 anything else!  I managed software teams in Taiwan for a couple of years, and *generally* find the Asian education (Chinese and Indian) too technical.  I think programming games are a great way to balance that with some creativity!

Anyway, enough preaching... you don't want to hear any more than you have to Smiley

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read August 30, 2007, 07:39:21 PM #117
plounted

hey so. great game. i like it more than kairuga.
theres only one thing i would change.

the first boss has way too much health for a first boss.
ridiculously so. if you dont have any powerups, it can take you ten minutes.
so like, half or 3/4 health.

just a thought.
Read August 30, 2007, 08:49:58 PM #118
Kairos

Ok, noted. I also planned out the game assuming that you would pick up at least a powerup; I intend to allow a powerup to be dropped from a part of the boss if you haven't picked up any in the final version.
Read August 30, 2007, 10:09:20 PM #119
plounted

Ok, noted. I also planned out the game assuming that you would pick up at least a powerup; I intend to allow a powerup to be dropped from a part of the boss if you haven't picked up any in the final version.
i'm not that terrible, but i let a friend play and he was pretty bad.
i just noticed this while he was playing.

still, a very good game.
kind of like kairuga meets a siter skain game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 18 queries.