Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Varia (Done)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Read June 06, 2007, 07:58:31 PM #0
Kairos

Varia (Done)

Trailer: Youtube Video

Online Highscore Tables: Here

For joystick support, use Joy2Key.

Fill them tables up, and enjoy  Wink

Original post:
---------------
I've been occasionally visiting this site every now and
then, and having seen the competition, I decided to have a go at this. The name may be temporary, I've yet to figure out if it'll stay or not. Will be a vertical shooter, and I'm using GM (I'm not exactly the best at finishing games, but I'll try. This is my 2nd game to make.)
If I can't find myself to work on the game, ah well. I'd just wait to see who is going to win.
Progress is always posted below.
Demo (2 levels):
Download
Mirror
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNkGwvYalYI
Old Stuff.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/CKairos/progress-13.png
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/CKairos/progress-9.png
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/8191/boss1dl8.png
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/8752/progresscq3.png
Jump to the post with the super early beta
Here!

Screen(s):
http://i16.tinypic.com/4r06vjd.png
http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/2379/progresskc0.png
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/CKairos/progress.png
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/CKairos/progress-2.png
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/CKairos/progress-3.png
More Screens.
Programming, Graphics - Me
Music, Sounds - Parker Walker (www.starsystemmusic.com)

-----------
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 07:21:02 PM by Kairos »
Read June 06, 2007, 08:48:16 PM #1
cactus

Re: Varia

I loved Kairuga! If you can top that, I'm sure you'll have a great chance at winning this Cheesy
Read June 06, 2007, 08:56:25 PM #2
Kairos

Thanks Cactus, the only problems I really have is coding and enthusiasm, and I think I can do it Tongue
Read June 06, 2007, 09:01:01 PM #3
the2bears

I loved Kairuga! If you can top that, I'm sure you'll have a great chance at winning this Cheesy

Seconded... if that's your only game so far, you're still doing well in my books Smiley  I thought it was a brilliant homage to the original.  Glad to see you here and welcome to the forum and contest.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read June 06, 2007, 09:07:28 PM #4
Five Damned Dollarz

I third the notion that Kairuga is loved, although, I must wonder, why do I always fail the first boss?!
Good luck in this comp Smiley
Read June 07, 2007, 05:21:22 PM #5
Adigun A. Polack

Kairos, it is SUCH an honor to have you entering this Shmup-dev compo... I sure hope you do so splendidly awesome at your newest contest project indeed.  Best of such sheer excellence to you here... I am serious!!!  d=cool1=b
Read June 08, 2007, 01:17:09 AM #6
Kairos

Thanks A.A.P! That must mean you've played Kairuga at some point... right? Tongue
« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 02:24:32 AM by Kairos »
Read June 08, 2007, 02:27:14 AM #7
relsoft

I'm still playing kairuga from time to time. :*)

Hello
Read June 08, 2007, 03:26:16 AM #8
Adigun A. Polack

Thanks A.A.P! That must mean you've played Kairuga at some point... right? Tongue

Actually, I have not played Kairuga yet... but I did see a video of it on Google Video yesterday.  I saw that it had some great reviews indeed in that it paid such outstanding tribute to the original Ikaruga, so when I do get a chance, I am gonna try Kairuga indeed and just see how good it is.  Grin

And you are quite welcome, by the way!!!  angel1 !
Read June 12, 2007, 10:05:33 PM #9
Kairos

A screenie of some minor stuff.

As you can see, I'm going for the glowly vector-like feel again, since I like abstract stuff. But the backgrounds, something will have to be done besides grids. Maybe space.
You can see some slight part of the ship, some lasers, vulcan, and a green enemy thing. No details on game concept available... yet.
But it will be a good one. Tongue

Enjoy the minor eye candy while I struggle to cope with laziness.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 10:08:52 PM by Kairos »
Read June 13, 2007, 12:35:22 AM #10
Shoot-em-upper

You know, I don't think that it needs a background.  The contrast of the glowing ships and projectiles have great contrast with the infinite blackness behind them and it gives the game a wonderful(in my opinion) look.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 06:00:56 PM by Shoot-em-upper »

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 13, 2007, 01:44:49 AM #11
Kairos

Thanks for the opinion, but once you play it, it feels way too empty. Perhaps I'll make it look more like a dark dimension of some sort.
Read June 13, 2007, 05:18:16 AM #12
Nobody

At least do not make it a space backgrounds... Those are lame. Tongue
Read June 13, 2007, 08:10:54 AM #13
monoRAIL

Nice glow on the beams, it looks very Tron/Gradius inspired.
Read June 14, 2007, 12:40:06 AM #14
Kairos

It is pretty much Gradius inspired, but the name will be changed to something almost the same later. It's because of all the different elements I plan to put in this game.
Read June 14, 2007, 01:06:03 AM #15
Raideen

this gonna be a good one

u know,
I always expecting to see your upgrade version of Kairuga
I wish this one will match over it

good luck!
Read June 15, 2007, 03:22:56 PM #16
Shoot-em-upper

It is pretty much Gradius inspired, but the name will be changed to something almost the same later.

You could call it Varius...but maybe that would be too close to Darius.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 17, 2007, 01:45:10 AM #17
Kairos

Actually I already had a slight lean towards that name, but I don't want to determine anything yet.

UPDATE: New concept demo released.

This early demo demonstrates the concept I was thinking of. the gameplay itself is more of a smash between Raiden and Gradius, while the powerup is a little different, almost like Tumiki Fighters. In Varia, you will be able to obtain different weapons to aid you via the enemies' attack itself. For instance, you get an option, and it starts out without anything to shoot. Once you have it hit an enemy attack, it absorbs that attack and thus gains that ability (could be a Vulcan attack, laser, missile, etc.) Pressing a certain button allows you to release that attack, and your option becomes null again.
Since this is a "new" concept, I need to make sure that people are comfortable with the current setup. You should be able to see the selected option out of the corner of your eye while you move up and down, so you can release that single option, if you wish to do so. You will be able to absorb all attacks beside boss ones, allowing for interesting combinations. So enjoy, it's in the attachment.

Controls:

Arrows: Movement, Option Selection

Z = Shoot
X = Freeze Available Options
C = Release Selected Option Power

I'm programming this on a somewhat limited schedule (working and some summer education) but I'm still planning on going all out. Also, the ship graphics in the demo are going to be final, but the attack timing/ graphic effects/ other stuff are probably not.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 02:01:45 AM by Kairos »
Read June 17, 2007, 05:58:45 AM #18
Shoot-em-upper

Re: Varia (6/16/07 Demo update)

Looks promising, but I don't seem to have any options.  Also, you NEED to be able to make the player ship hit the bottom of the screen. 

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 17, 2007, 10:24:14 AM #19
monoRAIL

Shoot-em-upper: Pick up the yellow powerups to gain an option, the red powerups give you a firepower boost.

Kairos: This system is very good. I liked the color change on the option to show you what firepower it picked up. However, it seems like the laser option would be the best one, and everyone would clear out their options before the laser enemies showed up so they could wield all lasers. Maybe the option weapons could decay after a short time, reverting back to a low power gun. Or perhaps the options could have a limited amount of energy or hitpoints.

Maybe this is too complicated, but I think there should be some incentive for someone with 4 laser options to change.

Great progress in such a short time. The explosions are nice.
Read June 17, 2007, 10:49:46 AM #20
Nobody

Nice graphics/gameplay. The  shitty thing is that it is quite a lot like our game... :/ Well, I hope some of our features manage to make it different.
Read June 17, 2007, 11:09:44 AM #21
pixelizr

I think it's not really a matter of differentiation, but rather more of execution and implementation. Smiley
Read June 17, 2007, 01:05:03 PM #22
Kairos

Thanks for the comments guys. I know, there's going to be a hell of a lot of balancing to figure out, this was just to show the concept. Perhaps an enemy can counter certain weapons, or something - however, that can be figured out later.

Shoot-em-upper: Sorry, I forgot to say that. Red powerups turn into yellow ones after a bit. And I'll remember to put that point in the game Tongue

monoRAIL: Yea, as I said, I will balance this out. And thanks for the suggestions!

Nobody: They say great minds think alike - but of course there's always going to be a lot of variations. I don't know what you're going for since you haven't said much on concept, but Varia shouldn't be the same type of game, I'll tell you.

pixelizr: Exactly.

Again, thanks for the comments.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 07:19:49 PM by Kairos »
Read June 17, 2007, 05:06:16 PM #23
ReleX

Yeah I liked it!
Yeah I realize you are serious competition!
But, HELL YEAH we are gonna beat you!

Tongue hehe just kidding. I like some good competion... it only gets me more motivated and exited.
Youre making great progress... keep up the good work!!

-ReleX-

crowd: "WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!"
man: "No I'm not!"
Read June 17, 2007, 06:34:40 PM #24
Kairos

Course, you guys are a team, but go for it Tongue
And thanks.
Read June 17, 2007, 08:51:43 PM #25
Javet

I can't seem to find the download link. I loved Kairuga and really want to try this demo.

Woodenswordentertainment.com

Funny and random videos.
Read June 17, 2007, 10:00:38 PM #26
Kairos

It's in an attachment in one of the posts above. Attachments are located near the signature.
Read June 17, 2007, 10:13:25 PM #27
Javet

It's pretty cool. The final project will be AWESOME!

Woodenswordentertainment.com

Funny and random videos.
Read June 18, 2007, 01:45:24 PM #28
Shoot-em-upper

Ah, that's much better.  This is going to be a great game.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 18, 2007, 04:58:55 PM #29
Adigun A. Polack

Ah, a *really* interesting setup and project that is gonna turn into such a GRAND swan, telling from the gameplay sample in your demo, Kairos.  Cheesy  First of all, I really like the modern vector look (ala Geometry Wars and Warning Forever).  And second, the game reminds me of a hot Toaplan shmup, with some dazzling enemy patterns thrown in!!  Keep it going, you are doing such an excellent job with this already!!!  d=grin2=b
Read June 20, 2007, 01:33:30 PM #30
Kairos

First mini-boss done.

I dunno, but it looks like I didn't do so well on it. It's only 2 parts and you have to destroy the blue part to hit the core, but I guess game play comes first. In fact, I need to redo this sprite and the power up ship at some later point, they're kinda ugly.

Also, I need to decide on some type of scoring system.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 01:35:06 PM by Kairos »
Read June 20, 2007, 01:37:14 PM #31
Shoot-em-upper

I think it should be a straightforward scoring mechanism; you know, you get points for every enemy killed and bonus points for killing a group of the same enemy.  You could also have extra lives whenever you reach a certain number of points.  The problem with your ship is that the colors are too dull--it doesn't look like it's glowing very much.  You should decrease the saturation in middle areas and increase the brightness so it glows like a neon sign.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 01:47:15 PM by Shoot-em-upper »

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 20, 2007, 07:24:15 PM #32
Kairos

For some reason the mini boss was very irritating, so I redesigned it, taking your tips along as well.

Some nostalgia wouldn't hurt, and Gradius is just too inspiring  Tongue
Read June 20, 2007, 07:55:10 PM #33
alillm

That looks stunning mate Smiley. I think you are one of the top contenders at the moment.

Ali
Read June 20, 2007, 10:09:26 PM #34
Kairos

Thanks for the compliment. The first level is, well, complete I guess, except for a boss that I need to create and program in.

The way it should lay out is,

First level: 4 absorbable weapons.
Second level: 6,
3rd level: 8,
4th level: all 10 weapons available to absorb.

Each level might be a little longer than the previous except for the 4th one.

I dunno what I want to do for a 5th level though, because I'm starting to get low on free time and perhaps I'll make it a level accessible by a certain score, or no level at all. The real final boss with dizzying bullet hell or something. Not that there wasn't already, but you get the idea.

Also, I don't like to share characteristics with other entries, but I was thinking a pink enemy bullet color might be a good choice for better sight, although I think there's another entry that has pink bullets so I might just stick with the orange yellow. I'll decide that later too.
Read June 21, 2007, 12:19:44 AM #35
Shoot-em-upper

What about green?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 21, 2007, 12:39:39 AM #36
Kairos

Flying green hurts my eyes, not sure about what other people think  Tongue
I'll keep note though.
Read June 24, 2007, 05:49:59 PM #37
Kairos

I think we all know what kind of enemy this is.

Look what happens when you kill everything but it's core.

For better quality screens, you can look the urls in you want.
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/CKairos/progress-5.png
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/CKairos/progress2.png

What does this game play resemble, and looks like? You guessed it:

« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 09:04:32 PM by Kairos »
Read June 24, 2007, 06:05:09 PM #38
Adigun A. Polack

Re: Varia (6/24/07 Screens Galore)

The new screenshots you got there including the boss as well all look so damn AWESOME, I truly gotta say!!!  Kairos, I really and definitely like you when it comes to such wonderful progress you are making on the game Varia, you know?  d=Wink=b

Look out people, we have a REAL potential contender on our hands here!!!  Grin !
Read June 24, 2007, 07:37:57 PM #39
Kairos

Re: Varia (6/24/07 Screens Galore)

The new screenshots you got there including the boss as well all look so damn AWESOME, I truly gotta say!!!  Kairos, I really and definitely like you when it comes to such wonderful progress you are making on the game Varia, you know?  d=Wink=b

Look out people, we have a REAL potential contender on our hands here!!!  Grin !

Thanks for the motivating comment, A.A.P!

Anyways, the reason I am putting so much effort into this game alone is because of a competition that would be my first to attempt to win, along with remembering how short Kairuga was and how many people hated that. I try not to repeat mistakes, so this game so far is produced from most of my spare time. I tend to lose focus on a single game and start working on other ideas, but this competition has kept me stuck to Varia so far, which is a good thing.

Well, that's only a small first level boss, to keep anybody excited. Although I can't guarantee huge screen filling ones either, but... we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 07:39:45 PM by Kairos »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 19 queries.