Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Varia (Done)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Read September 03, 2007, 01:49:12 PM #120
Kairos

Re: Varia - Demo 8/29/07

Finally finished the main game... but I'm not slightly relieved at all, school starts tomorrow. Still a ton of options and graphics to put in, difficulty levels, further balancing, sounds, music, etc.

My to-do list also seems to have disappeared.   
Read September 03, 2007, 02:53:47 PM #121
Crimson Knight

Played your demo. It was alright.

I never grasped the options, but your game was solid. Only gripe I have is the HP of the bosses, mostly the fact that I didn't how close I was to destroying them. The hitbox was fine IMO, though I did die a lot(I don't like manic shooters though).
Read September 03, 2007, 06:54:47 PM #122
Kairos

Displaying the HP of the parts would be a major hassle right now, so I probably can't do that. Thanks for the feedback anyway.
Read September 09, 2007, 02:14:11 PM #123
Shoot-em-upper

Maybe they could dim gradually as they were hit.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 16, 2007, 12:55:26 AM #124
Kairos

Ok, theres a ridiculous amount of stuff that I still have to finish, but it will be finished in due time along with some awesome music. You'll get to find out when you play the final version, which is going to come out just a bit before the deadline, I hope.

I took the toggle option suggestion in from monoRAIL and the each individual boss part always had a frame that was white: it now turns more red depending on how much you blasted at it. If you don't have any powerups when you made it to the boss, you'll be automatically supplied a powerup after the warning sign appears.

Actually, a lot of stuff has been added, and/or changed:

• minor graphical revision
  • 3 difficulty levels
  • Cho Ren Sha type power-up system (changed from the original passive type)
  • Online Highscores (not for public yet)
  • Local Highscores
  • Option color changed to blue
  • Your vulcan bullet starts out as a spread shot now
  • 7 Lives, get an additional life for each boss kill
  • Absorption gives you a fancy effect and +1000 points
  • Beefed up explosions

Won't get to implement joystick support because I don't understand it, don't have a gamepad, and it is sorta late to do that right now. But that's ok. The toggle thing + Joy2Key is more than enough.

It's really starting to shape up now. Lets see how it'll turn out when I finish it  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 12:59:52 AM by Kairos »
Read September 29, 2007, 09:44:14 PM #125
Kairos

Re: Varia (Completed.)

Done.
Read September 30, 2007, 01:19:40 AM #126
Kairos

Re: Varia (DONE/ PATCH)

Update: There's a patch out for people who downloaded version 1.7. In the old version, the game sends your score to a host that I have now changed. I've moved your highscores to the new tables.

Also updated the attachment with the new version, 1.7n.
Read September 30, 2007, 11:45:05 PM #127
Null1024

The game is excellent, but it's kinda slow (but that may be my comp), everything running at minimal graphics, no bg, but it's really fun.
Read October 08, 2007, 09:34:22 AM #128
Androide

I love Varia ! Its design reminds me so much of TRON and the ads for the Vectrex games. The upgrade system is brilliant (basically the Gradius V type 1 option system is my prefered one) with the added difficulty introduced by the ability to change the weaponry of the options (it's not easy but that's the point of it). The chain system is underdevelopped but I don't care for I'm not a big fan of the Ikaruga chain system. And the music matches perfect to the game.

Hope you'll make another version of Varia with more stages.
Read October 08, 2007, 06:09:49 PM #129
Pixel_Outlaw

Sorry for not replying lately. (I've been somewhat obsessed with my own projects lately)

Anyway this game is just great. I played it briefly before college and couldn't wait to get home and give it and give it another go. Looks sounds and plays fantastic. The online score system seems to be a nice touch. I tried to submit my score but my Windows Vista wanted permission to let the program go online.  This forced me to exit the game. I must say that I hate vista. It's like being the parent of a 3 year old that always wants permission to do seemingly brainless tasks.

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read October 08, 2007, 08:19:49 PM #130
Kairos

Hope you'll make another version of Varia with more stages.

While that sounds like a good idea, I probably won't get to that point. The most I can do is add some more options and maybe develop 1 or 2 things a bit more, assuming I have time for that.

I see the game as finished. I'm pretty sick of it and I really don't want to work on it much more.

Glad you guys liked it though.
Read October 09, 2007, 04:52:44 AM #131
Pixel_Outlaw

Just finished the game. It was really great! The last level about killed my CPU however. Did you have anything major going on or was my lappy all tuckered out? I thought the games length was just fine actually. The last level cost me all but 3 lives. It took me three tries to beat it on easy, now I'm going for hard. I see plenty of hours left in this game.

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read October 09, 2007, 06:34:40 PM #132
Kairos

What are your laptop specs? It should run smoothly on any computer similar to the judges; I was using sprites + particles for that level. Maybe the various graphics options could help you out there.
Read October 10, 2007, 03:49:23 AM #133
Shoot-em-upper

I must say that I hate vista. It's like being the parent of a 3 year old that always wants permission to do seemingly brainless tasks.

I feel your pain.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read October 16, 2007, 04:51:35 PM #134
Emblazed

Can someone check something for me..

When I download this demo, it contains a file "DownloadDLL.DLL", this dll is a Trojan back door. And I dont know if my machine is adding this to the zip file or its in the source zip.

Thanks.

Emblazed
Read October 16, 2007, 05:42:59 PM #135
the2bears

My .zip of DroneSwarm does not contain the file you mention.

Edit:  Oops... of course, you're not talking about DroneSwarm  Embarrassed  Checking Varia now.

The Varia download *does* contain the mentioned .dll, though how do you know it's a Trojan?

Bill
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 05:48:10 PM by the2bears »

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read October 16, 2007, 06:20:50 PM #136
Emblazed

Do a search in Google for "downloaddll.dll".. I search for dlls on the net when looking at games to see what type of systems they have used to create the game. Or in this case I searched for downloaddll.dll just because it looked like a very odd name for a api dll.

Also if you delete said dll Vaira still works in all its glory. So something is a miss.

Note: I am in no way pointing my finger at the maker of Vaira for this..

Emblazed.
Read October 16, 2007, 07:17:55 PM #137
Kairos

Can someone check something for me..

When I download this demo, it contains a file "DownloadDLL.DLL", this dll is a Trojan back door. And I dont know if my machine is adding this to the zip file or its in the source zip.

Thanks.

Emblazed

False alarm. This dll is needed to download a file and write to it (for your online highscores). You won't be able to submit any highscores and you will get an error if you try to submit online, I think.

Said dll is also used by Cactus to submit online highscores. Nothing to worry about.

EDIT: Did a google search... there's a dll called DownLoadDLL.dll, which has nothing to do with the one I have, which was made for GM users. And it's also all lowercase.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 07:33:06 PM by Kairos »
Read October 16, 2007, 07:23:49 PM #138
Emblazed

Re: Varia (Done)

Ok,

Thanks much.

Great game btw.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.