Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Saberella(FULL GAME UPLOADED)

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Read June 11, 2007, 10:05:23 PM #0
Crimson Knight

Saberella(FULL GAME UPLOADED)

(Isn't the title graphic awesome? lol)

---Game---
The full game can be found here.

---Progress---
-Last Update:Tuesday September 18th 2007

-Tuesday September 18th 2007
Saberella is... NOW FINISHED(for the most part)!!!

All levels are complete. I just have to fix a lot of bugs, add joystick support and a couple other stuffs, then I'll release the game for the world to play. Smiley

-Friday August 31st 2007
Progress on Saberella is coming along very nicely. But since I have less than a month to complete my entry, I have to crunch, like the delicious cran-vanilla crunch cereal I've swore off of. Tongue

Here's some of what I've done so far:

-One complaint I got was that there wasn't much variety in the explosions. Now the explosions are generated in a random but controlled fashion, so killing multiple enemies in sequence makes pretty fireworks, instead of fiery billboards. Smiley

-You can now display HUD info in two ways - the original, and a more peripheral-friendly version. The new one can be seen in the updated demo.

-Unfortunately, I may not be able to get unique BGMs for the game. But I do have a custom soundtrack feature in place, so you can listen to your favorite tracks while you blow stuff up.

-Finished up an options menu, with a button config, play extend settings and more.

-The game now has a small storyline, it'll be told throughout with little blurbs.

-You can now select from 2 ships at the start of the game(Saberella and Haniel), and I plan on adding more.

You can pick up the new demo in the Demo section. This allows you to play two levels as Saberella. When you pause, you can access the button config menu. Please do me a favor, and tell me which buttons aren't labeled when functions are assigned to them. I tried to label as many as I could, but I probably missed some(some keys can't be assigned, like CTRL or ESC for obvious reasons). You can also raise your rank up to 3 times by selecting "Main Menu" in the pause menu, just so you can see a difference between the different values. One more thing... you won't be able to assign the arrow keys to anything in the button config. This will be fixed, it's just a dumb limitation in GM.

A new teaser video may also be available within a few days, so keep an eye out! ^_^

This is the last update before I try to finish the game, which is at 80% completion. So I'll hopefully be here when the contest is over with a game that's actually finished. Good luck everyone! Smiley

-Sunday August 5th 2007
Almost a month has gone by and many entries are progressing pretty well. I bring another update on my slow but steady progress.

I'm currently designing level 5 out of 9. I'm introducing at least 1 new enemy in each level, to keep things interesting. Some levels may have 2 or even 3 new enemies in it, which may provide some peculiar situations.

Also, you can now change firing types on the fly. You can fire using the normal, wider ranged barrage, or the focused, laser type fire. Using the focused firing feature is better against enemies, but you must keep an eye on your heat gauge, shown below in the Gallery. If you exceed heat capacity, you die, plain and simple. So while using focused fire against most enemies is practical, it's best to conserve your fire for bigger/slower targets, while the gauge recedes(there might be some situations that'll call on a specific type of fire). I'm undecided about whether or not power ups should affect your focused fire.

That's all for now. See ya in a couple of weeks. Smiley

-Friday July 6th 2007
You know how I said a demo might be released on a special day? Well, I've got a DEMOnstration for you. Since I can't access youtube for some reason it's gonna have to be attached, scroll down and pick the vid up!
(if anyone wants to upload it somewhere, that'd be great.)

-Wednesday June 27th 2007
I had another date and it went incredibly well(like you guys wanna hear about my love life)! More good news too!

-Bricks have come! Look at the Gallery for details.

-TWO ships will be playable. One is the current ship that can be played in the demo, the other is a new ship, which will share different attributes from the other ship and will represent a more classic shmup experience.

Another demo might pop up on a special day, so keep an eye out!

-Friday June 22nd 2007
Ok, I made explosions. "But what about the bricks?" you ask? To quote Charlie Murphy, I said **** it.

And now, I have a surprise for ya! There's a demo below in the newly created Demo section. This more or less, will show you how the game will work, especially on the first level.

---Controls---
Arrow keys to move.
"A" key to fire.
"Z" key to use special.
"X" key to pause.
"Q" key to restart the level.

Firing type is set to "BURST(MANUAL)".

This game will work for WinXP compatible PCs.

Give it a try, and tell me what you think!

-Wednesday June 20th 2007
Woohoo, paycheck! ^_^ Remember folks, if you wanna motivate a man, you gotta give 'em food. Tongue

And with that, I have an extra picture to show off. This particular one shows off your special attack(and why the ship was designed the way it was). Gotta love those pixel blades!

Also, about the music... I'm kinda clueless how to make some myself, so I want to enlist someone's help. Any takers? It'll be quite the task as I want a large quality soundtrack, but I believe it'll be worth it.

And I'm STILL trying to make good bricks and explosions! I will not rest until I do them both.

-Tuesday June 19th 2007
Well, today has been a lackluster day. My date went kaput(she supposedly injured herself and is now in the hospital, quite convenient THE DAY BEFORE OUR DATE!), I'm broke, I'm starving, I don't know how to make decent explosions or a good background and I can't get a vid up. So... [soup nazi]NO VIDEO FOR YOU![/soup nazi]

But, back to my game! I'll have an early build for guys to try, hopefully before next week. It'll have everything I talked about, and maybe more, like different enemies spawning based on which ones you hit first. I'm also pleased with the difficulty of the first level, I believe it's just right - challenging, but not overbearing.

-Friday June 15th 2007
A few more details about my game are emerging, just like this annoying cicada in my living room!

The options, once called multiples, are now re-named to SPARKS. You can see what they look like in the Gallery below. Sparks will have three uses, instead of two.

Now that I have my options menu set up, I thought I'd fill it up with useless things. You can change the difficulty, change the points required for extra lives, toggle between auto-fire or manual(think ChoRenSha 68K) and use keyboard or joystick controls(sorry, no mouse control this time).

That's it mostly for today. I have a date with a cute brunette Monday and depending on the outcome of that, I'll have a gameplay video up sometime next week, just to show off what I have done so far.

-Wednsday June 13th 2007
More details. I now have what seems to be, a basic game and a good idea of how it'll work.

You shoot ships, gain points and earn extra lives. Where the game gets interesting however, is the RANK POINT system.

When you destroy multiple ships in succession in a certain time frame, you acquire points, based on how fast you are. Points can also be gained by flying dangerously close to bullets. As your rank value increases, so does the difficulty of the game in many ways. The most noticeable change will be the increase in advance reflexes required to play the game well, among other gameplay changes. The system also has benefits outside the game as well, like the ability to resume play at later stages, should you meet the RP requirements. Points can also be deducted for actions like losing lives and such. I designed this system, so that the most skilled players reap the most benefits as the curve increases at a slow but steady pace, allowing most people to benefit from the system, should they attempt to do so. You can turn this system off if you so choose, but those that do don't reap the benefits granted to those who do otherwise.

You also have a special ability you can use, in which your ship releases shockwaves from spinning around, which does damage to surrounding enemies, especially those in your ship's range. Obviously, you can only have a limited stock, but due to its limited effectiveness I'm unsure how limited they should be.

This game has options, named multiples in the game. These can be used offensively and defensively. For offense, you can use your special, your multiples will use the same special(and all your stock) and be consumed for maximum effectiveness. On the other hand, they can be used as protectors from enemy fire, but they'll still be consumed. So what keeps them slightly balanced?

Items. These appear very rarely. Their effects can change by being hit with your bullets. You can increase your main weapon's strength up to 4 levels, gain a multiple or increase your special stock.

I'll have more details as I work at the salt mines. Tongue

---My experience in playing and creating shooters---
You know, after playing with my first little shooting project(Arms of Avalon), I've come to understand a lot about what makes a shooter fun and interesting.

Good shooters are simple. They're easy to pick up, and easy to leave off.

Good shooters can get away with heavy repetition. Platypus is a nice example of that.

Vertical shooters seem to be incredibly popular. Hurray tunnel vision.

Good shooters also have been perceived to have good sprite work. Although in many cases, graphic quality mattered little, it was about how they were used. In this regard, it can't be denied that everyone has their own perception of what's good and interesting.

Art seems to be the name of the game, when it comes to how good a shooter is. From the backgrounds to the way bullets are dispersed(regardless of the impracticality), a Rez clone could make you a billionaire in the eyes of the shooting alumni... as long as you include a beautiful "danmaku" engine that is.</sarcasm>

I've also learned of what can make a shooter unappealing to some people. I played Guxt recently, and while it was simple and fun, it was difficult. And by difficult, I mean I'll never play it again. You start with 2 lives(or in Guxt's case, 1). Oh yeah, you get extra lives, but by that time, you might be one life short on level 2. Back to square one, just on a harder level as once you die, you restart the entire level(unless you hit a far away check point). Oh goody.

ChoRenSha 68K. Good stuff, loved the game... until I got to level 3, then I got pegged. Do you know what being pegged feels like? You shouldn't. On top of the unreliable sound and pressing the "instant lose" button trying to pause the game, I just didn't feel like playing it anymore.

Now don't get me wrong, I like playing challenging games. But I'm for a "fair" difficulty and learning curve. You know, one that doesn't prep you for a surprise prostate exam(anyone who watched the movie Road Trip may feel me here)?

---My goal for this project---
With my experience and more, I decided to come up with another shooter. This shooter when it's complete, will take what I've learned, and allow me to express what I believe shooters COULD BE, their potential. This shooter may not be the next "Clean Asia", but I want it to leave an impression, not one of "Wow" but rather one of "How come shooters don't do this?".

That doesn't mean I'm totally dropping Arms of Avalon(to the dismay of some of you I'm sure). The end product of that game will be quite ambitious I assure you.

This WIP that I'm working on, will be quite different from the last shooter I made.

First of all, it'll be vertical instead of horizontal. This will be a minimalist project, no extra bells and whistles. Maybe.

Like my last shooter, this one will build on my gameplay philosophy of skill directly and subtly influencing the game, further encouraging skillful play. And it may actually be a full game! Cheesy

---Gallery---
This is where I'll drop off various pictures.

Shot of the first level boss.

Some sparring with the local fleet.

Peek at a newly designed enemy, and the sparks you can collect.
(Yes, I know they look like Goku's spirit bombs, give me a break)

This is how more or less, your ship's special will look like. The left part shows an executed special with no sparks, the other side shows execution with 2 sparks. Oh, did I forget that new enemy at the top right? Hey there little guy, you're toast. Cheesy

A peek at the complete look of level 1. And 2, and 3... Tongue

A new pic, showing the heat gauge(above your life counter) and a new enemy. These enemies have AI that make them pretty annoying, as you try to destroy them while surviving at the same time, which becomes more difficult as their numbers grow. They're hard to spot in the pic, but they're more visible in-game.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 02:44:02 AM by Crimson Knight »
Read June 12, 2007, 03:49:13 AM #1
Adigun A. Polack

Re: Space reserved for... some kind of shooter

Crimson Knight, welcome aboard to the newest Shmup-dev competition, and I do hope you do *amazingly* well here... and do not forget to put in the title of your contest entry, too!!!  Grin

That sprite there is not a bad start for you, by the way!  Sort of a retro thing going here if you ask me!!  Cool !
Read June 12, 2007, 11:26:57 PM #2
Crimson Knight

Re: Space reserved for... some kind of shooter

Ok, updated my thread with more details and another screenie. The game is a simple tech demo now, testing out the various mechanics.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 09:07:07 PM by Crimson Knight »
Read June 13, 2007, 12:36:49 AM #3
Shoot-em-upper

Re: Saberella aka What I learned from my first shmup project

That looks awesome!  Are the sprites going to be in the final entry?  They look pretty done to me.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 13, 2007, 01:25:19 PM #4
cactus

I second the "That looks awesome!". Really like the clear pixel style on the boss and the bullets. I'm not sure what I think about the player ship, though... I kinda appreciate the lack of colour and overall design in the enemy more. Still, can't wait to play this grin2
Read June 13, 2007, 06:57:40 PM #5
Crimson Knight

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Most likely, I'll use the above sprites in the final entry, the first one took a whole day to make. Tongue

I updated my first post again with more details, looks like the game will turn out how I want. Smiley
Read June 15, 2007, 03:20:35 PM #6
Shoot-em-upper

I never noticed this before, but the player ship looks like an X-Wing.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 16, 2007, 02:32:44 PM #7
Crimson Knight

Re: Saberella(updated 6/15/07)

It wasn't intentional. But I'll be changing the ship's look somewhat soon.
Read June 16, 2007, 05:20:02 PM #8
Shoot-em-upper

I know I've seen that green bug-like enemy before in a different thread.  I tried to find the thread but I couldn't.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 19, 2007, 10:02:21 AM #9
Crimson Knight

Well it's not really a bug thing... Tongue

So any pixel suggestions for the enemies shown?
Read June 19, 2007, 05:56:34 PM #10
Shoot-em-upper

Re: Saberella(updated 6/19/07)

I don't really get what you mean by "pixel suggestions",  but I have an interesting design idea.  You could have a boss that opens up and releases mini-ships that assail you for a short time before flying away or being destroyed.  The boss could be especially vulnerable while releasing its cargo.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 20, 2007, 09:46:49 AM #11
Crimson Knight

Re: Saberella(updated 6/19/07)

Hey, that sounds like a good idea! Though unfortunately I have 4 bosses already designed(I just need to draw em), I'll leave that kind of phase for future bosses. Smiley

And I meant that I wanted some drawing suggestions, if anyone has them for the enemies/ship. Nothing wrong with improvement.
Read June 20, 2007, 11:43:10 AM #12
Five Damned Dollarz

Re: Saberella(updated 6/20/07)

Whoo, 4 bosses already designed, good going azn1
The new player sprite looks a lot like a fancy sword I saw in a movie once... Too bad I cannot remember the name of the movie right now angry1
I like your sprite style, it's basic but it's cool grin1
Read June 20, 2007, 01:49:53 PM #13
Shoot-em-upper

I like your sprite style, it's basic but it's cool grin1

Yes, there's nothing wrong with improvement but you don't need to fix what isn't broken.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read June 22, 2007, 09:57:01 AM #14
Crimson Knight

Thanks guys. Compared to my last compo entry, that's saying a lot!

I uploaded a demo for you guys to try out. Have fun! Grin
Read June 22, 2007, 10:20:07 AM #15
alillm

Re: Saberella(updated 6/22/07 with demo!)

So far so good Smiley its playing nicely. I wasn't too keen on the controls though, it felt awkward using 'a' to fire and 'z' to use your bomb, I wasn't too sure what 's' did either, does it increase your fire power or something? I thought it would be better if the controls were all in a row e.g 'z''x''c' or 'a''s''d'.

But it's already feeling like a nice solid shmup, so good job so far  Smiley

Ali
Read June 22, 2007, 05:26:43 PM #16
stwelin

the blue curved bullets look suspiciously similar to those in DoDonPachi, the ones of the blue ship, but i will give you the benefit of the doubt.
Read June 22, 2007, 05:50:44 PM #17
Crimson Knight

All graphics were developed, without the direct inspiration of other shooters in mind. In other words, I haven't played very many shooters, especially commercial ones, so any graphical similarities between my game and any others are purely coincidental.

I wouldn't mind seeing a link to back up your claim either. Tongue
Read June 22, 2007, 06:18:13 PM #18
ReleX

Played the demo... it was ok. 2 things: I don't like the player ship (I'm not alone in that) and second the controls are weard (not alone in that eather). but thats about it for the rest... great game! good progress! CYA!

-ReleX

crowd: "WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!"
man: "No I'm not!"
Read June 22, 2007, 06:27:15 PM #19
motorherp

This is the one he means:

And btw, you really should play DoDonPachi if you ever get the chance, even if it means getting it on Mame.  This really is one of the most highly respected shmups ever.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 06:29:25 PM by motorherp »

Read June 22, 2007, 07:21:29 PM #20
stwelin

Yep, that's the one. I couldn't get my hands on a screen, but i see know they are different. In any case, it looks good, although, coming from pixelation, i wince when i see the compressed screenshots, distorting the game's artwork. Sad

Also, i like how you described this:
With my experience and more, I decided to come up with another shooter. This shooter when it's complete, will take what I've learned, and allow me to express what I believe shooters COULD BE, their potential. This shooter may not be the next "Clean Asia", but I want it to leave an impression, not one of "Wow" but rather one of "How come shooters don't do this?".

Great games are born out of talent of innovation, not fancy explosions. I hope that this means you are looking for ways to make a less traditional shmup. I always liked the ones that stray from the norm.
Read June 23, 2007, 04:35:07 AM #21
the2bears

Hey CK... not bad so far Smiley  You've definitely learned much since your last game, keep up the steady improvement!

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read June 23, 2007, 12:19:59 PM #22
motorherp

Sorry it took me so long to get around to playing your demo.  Anyway here are my suggestions.  I thought the players hit box was a little unforgiving.  It feels like you should be able to squeeze through gaps in the bullets which actualy end up killing you.  The ability to shoot power-ups to change their effect before collecting them is cool, but could maybe use a little balancing.  I felt that being able to freely choose sparks each time for the same price as firepower was overpowered since these effectively function as extra lives.  Also I found myself getting a little confused at times with the collecables that get vacuumed into your ship since they look and move like they could be bullets.  Anyway these are all failry minor issues that can get ironed out when you apply the polish.  Keep up the good work.

PS:  There might be a bug in your bullet creation code.  During the spiral bullet pattern that come out of the boss, one of the bullets at the back always moves at twice the speed of the others.  Its the bullet in the same position each time.

Read June 23, 2007, 01:07:01 PM #23
Kairos

And btw, you really should play DoDonPachi if you ever get the chance, even if it means getting it on Mame.  This really is one of the most highly respected shmups ever.

Not just should - every shmup enthusiast MUST play this at one point in their lives.  Tongue
I heard about DoDonPachi but I never bothered to play until a week or 2 ago, when I was quite bored and decided to check it out. Turns out I missed A LOT. Although, it is a pretty unforgiving one, and you're guaranteed to die a lot in the first couple times you play it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 01:08:33 PM by Kairos »
Read June 23, 2007, 01:21:45 PM #24
motorherp

If you think DoDonPachi is hard you want to try out their latest iteration of the game 'DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou'.  It really is quite possibly the hardest shmup ever made, although the challenge is what keeps pulling me back.

Read June 24, 2007, 12:33:04 AM #25
Kairos

I looked at a video of Dai-ou-jou, and when I saw Hibachi...

Insanity.

I need to get my hands on that game, although it's for PS2, and I don't have one <_<.
Read June 24, 2007, 11:04:13 AM #26
Crimson Knight

Played the demo... it was ok. 2 things: I don't like the player ship (I'm not alone in that) and second the controls are weard (not alone in that eather).
Few have actually expressed their concern with the player ship, or the controls. But like I've said before, you'll get a new look. In the full game controls WILL be customizable to an extent(they kinda are in the demo, just have to get my butt up and finish it), so no worries, you'll be able to tweak the controls to your tastes. Smiley Until then, I would suggest you increase your proficiency in adapting to new control schemes. Never hurts.

In fact, I just thought of something! I think I have a way to address your concerns and keep myself happy.

NEW SHIPS anyone? Smiley

This is the one he means:

Oh, mine look totally different. I actually came upon my curved bullets when I was designing large bullets for another shmup WIP, they were part of an animation. But after the various distortions from compression, I decided they looked good enough to put in other games. Smiley

From what I hear, it's incredibly hard. To be honest, if I have to go through the trouble of figuring out how to use MAME just so I can play a game for 5 minutes and never again, I think I'll pass, unless there's an much easier way, short of finding an arcade that has it.

Great games are born out of talent of innovation, not fancy explosions. I hope that this means you are looking for ways to make a less traditional shmup. I always liked the ones that stray from the norm.
Yes, keep in mind I don't want to do anything completely original. I'll leave that to those who already have a distinct track record on their side.

Hey CK... not bad so far Smiley  You've definitely learned much since your last game, keep up the steady improvement!

Bill
Thanks! ^_^ It's great to hear that my game developing skills are heading in the right direction.

Sorry it took me so long to get around to playing your demo.  Anyway here are my suggestions.  I thought the players hit box was a little unforgiving.  It feels like you should be able to squeeze through gaps in the bullets which actualy end up killing you.
I think it's just right(maybe too forgiving IMO). I hate it when the hitbox is ridiculously small, your ship SHOULD be damaged when it's hit by a bullet(manic shooters teach bad habits when it comes to that). Here's the hitbox for the ship.

As you can see you do have some leeway, but generally you're encouraged to keep your entire ship out of harm's way;this is entirely possible on the difficulty you're playing now, and it's just a few inches from nearly impossible on the maximum difficulty setting. I believe that's the way it should be, though I do plan on implementing a system where your hitbox is shown, depending on how close bullets are to you. That or changing the original look for the ship to edit it's hitbox slightly.

The ability to shoot power-ups to change their effect before collecting them is cool, but could maybe use a little balancing.  I felt that being able to freely choose sparks each time for the same price as firepower was overpowered since these effectively function as extra lives.
Yes sparks do function as extra HPs also, but you're sacrificing extra power and specials to get them and if you waste them, that's less of an advantage to your damage output later(also the specials serve as bullet vaporizers, so you're losing some major offense+defense as well). To me it seems like they're too effective at first, but you'll love them once you get into the later levels/ranks, when the game tends to get harder. I'd like some input on how one can balance the system, while still making it effective later.

Also I found myself getting a little confused at times with the collecables that get vacuumed into your ship since they look and move like they could be bullets.  Anyway these are all failry minor issues that can get ironed out when you apply the polish.  Keep up the good work.
Thanks. I'm planning on increasing their speed. But for the most part, red, green and yellow dots like those won't be bullets in the game.

PS:  There might be a bug in your bullet creation code.  During the spiral bullet pattern that come out of the boss, one of the bullets at the back always moves at twice the speed of the others.  Its the bullet in the same position each time.
Thanks, I'll definitely look into that.

Just to be clear though, I want to put a new perspective on the good ol' shmup. I'm not trying to create a manic shooter that can be herded with the likes of Radiant Silvergun, Touhou or 'Pachi, you guys have enough of those. The desired end result of this WIP I have, is a shmup that IS somewhat forgiving, but evolves in difficulty with your skills. The better you do, the harder it gets to a certain point. I also want to put a new face on the difficulty of shmups. Many people are used to having a hitbox the size of an "o" or smaller, and waving through literal seas of bullets, that's where the difficulty comes from.

But I intend to give the user the luxury of less bullets being thrown at them, but NOT the luxury of a tiny hitbox. As many have noticed, you're still in danger of being hit all the time, no matter where bullets are coming from. But, it is possible to dodge them. In fact, just last night I got the pleasure of seeing a fellow shmupper clear my demo without losing a life, AND without using sparks. On his 4th consecutive try. I only gave him the basics of what to do, and he played like a pro! I should upload a video of him doing it, you'd be amazed I think.

(he also beat my record of 500,000 in ChoRenSha... by like, 400,000... and managed to do the powerup trick all the way to stage 3, I feel pathetic now lol)

Thanks for the replies and feedback everyone, it'll be taken to heart. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 02:49:41 PM by Crimson Knight »
Read June 24, 2007, 12:26:06 PM #27
alillm

I think its good that you are trying new things Smiley, although I think the problem that ReleX and myself had with the controls is not so much that itís different, but rather that it just doesn't seem logical to have controls that make playing more awkward. Still, if you are having a control set up then thatís fine I guess.

Personally I also like lots of bullets and small hit boxes, but thatís just personal preference, its always good to have a change.

Ali
Read June 24, 2007, 05:45:30 PM #28
Adigun A. Polack

After I played your demo of Saberella, Crimson Knight, I sense a verge that you are *really* improving big!!  So far, you know what you are doing by giving us a complete first stage, and I am so glad that you are truly stepping it up right here... KEEP IT UP!!!  Grin=b !

UPDATE (on 6/24/2007 at 2:57pm EST):  I just now spotted a bug in your game, Crimson Knight: when the game is paused while the enemy shots(s) successfully collided with your ship, that shot standing there would drain away all of the spark(s) you have (if any) and then destroyed your ship.  Could you fix that for us, please?  Thanks very much!!  Cool
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 05:56:02 PM by Adigun A. Polack »
Read June 24, 2007, 08:53:56 PM #29
Five Damned Dollarz

From what I hear, it's incredibly hard. To be honest, if I have to go through the trouble of figuring out how to use MAME just so I can play a game for 5 minutes and never again, I think I'll pass, unless there's an much easier way, short of finding an arcade that has it.
I've managed to figure it out (quite easy actually) and I wrote some batch files to help people like you out with it, give me you're email address and I'll send you a copy of MAME including DDP and the batch file (which you click and it'll automatically load the game)
Also DDP IS hard but only after level 3 (In my opinion), after that level get REALLY get a nice dose of bullets and my pc lost about 4 frames during level 4 and 6 lol
Read June 24, 2007, 09:53:21 PM #30
Crimson Knight

UPDATE (on 6/24/2007 at 2:57pm EST):  I just now spotted a bug in your game, Crimson Knight: when the game is paused while the enemy shots(s) successfully collided with your ship, that shot standing there would drain away all of the spark(s) you have (if any) and then destroyed your ship.  Could you fix that for us, please?  Thanks very much!!  Cool
Thanks. File has been updated, let me know if the fix worked.
Read June 25, 2007, 01:32:10 AM #31
Adigun A. Polack

Ok.  I have just downloaded your update, Crimson Knight, and two things: 1) the fix *fully* works 100%; and 2) when your ship takes a hit with no sparks with you, it now gives off a nice fiery explosion!  Excellent work so far, and I so genuinely like the idea of using sparks as shields for your ship, which is REALLY cool in the heat of battle, I must add!!!  Grin

Keep that stuff up, you understand that!?  Wink=b !
Read June 27, 2007, 04:06:49 PM #32
Crimson Knight

Ok.  I have just downloaded your update, Crimson Knight, and two things: 1) the fix *fully* works 100%; and 2) when your ship takes a hit with no sparks with you, it now gives off a nice fiery explosion!  Excellent work so far, and I so genuinely like the idea of using sparks as shields for your ship, which is REALLY cool in the heat of battle, I must add!!!  Grin

You bet, thanks for the encouragement!

Ok everyone, I'm gonna do some work on the button config, what functions do you guys want to be mappable? If I don't get any input on this, I'm only allowing the fire and special buttons.
Read June 27, 2007, 04:47:00 PM #33
the2bears

You bet, thanks for the encouragement!

Ok everyone, I'm gonna do some work on the button config, what functions do you guys want to be mappable? If I don't get any input on this, I'm only allowing the fire and special buttons.

Movement?

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read June 27, 2007, 04:49:21 PM #34
Crimson Knight

Re: Saberella(updated 6/27/07 with demo!)

Ok, anything else? Also, no one minds just the letter keys and the numpad being used for functions do they?
Read June 27, 2007, 06:51:53 PM #35
Adigun A. Polack

Re: Saberella(updated 6/27/07 with demo!)

Hey, I do not mind a custom key configuration screen myself, Crimson Knight, because that is such a welcoming idea for players to adjust their key settings to whatever they want.  Good!!  Wink !
Read July 06, 2007, 01:35:52 PM #36
Crimson Knight

Re: Saberella(updated 7/6/07, with demo and video!)

I'm still working on the key config. But I got a vid from a friend, and it looks pretty good, I attached it so everyone could check it out. Smiley

Progress is gonna be scarce for a while, summer jobs are formidable opponents. Tongue
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:41:28 PM by Crimson Knight »
Read July 06, 2007, 02:58:41 PM #37
cactus

Nice video. It's looking pretty good so far. The only complaints I have is that the enemies are just static sprites (some animations would make a big difference), and that the explosions look a bit stiff. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the look of the explosions, they just seemed to look a bit less chaotic than I prefer. When the many weaker enemies were shot in a sequence, the explosions looked the same, which caused a weird effect imo.

I like how the game seems to have a good difficulty curve, as the first enemies seemed really easy, but gradually got harder and harder. And the sprite designs are top notch. The background could use some variation, but looked good as well.

If you can't upload it to youtube, try 123video.nl (not too hard to navigate, even though it's in dutch), which has good speed for upload/viewing or maybe video.google.com.
Read July 06, 2007, 03:44:25 PM #38
alillm

Looking good. I like the different types of enemies and their movements. Like cactus said, they could use some animation (this is something I need to do too) but they are looking good.

Also agree with cactus on the background, Even if you don't want to draw out lots of complex backgrounds, you could always add some objects to create some variety.

Anyway, keep up the good work, its coming along well.

Ali
Read July 06, 2007, 05:13:47 PM #39
cactus

I'm sorry, I've been missing out on something it seems. You made Arms of Avalon? I had somehow assumed that you'd be the guy who made Helios or something from the sprites.

Anyway, this looks to be MUCH better than AoA. You have definitely made great progress since that entry. I'm really impressed. Are you using a nonregistered version of GM? If not, then maybe you should start messing around with image_angle, image_alpha and image_xscale/image_yscale. Those can be abused easily, and don't work too well with all sprites, but if you get the hang of them, they can do much to improve the presentation of your game.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 19 queries.