Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Saberella(FULL GAME UPLOADED)

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Read July 06, 2007, 09:03:46 PM #40
Adigun A. Polack

Re: Saberella(updated 7/6/07, with demo and video!)

Crimson Knight, that video you just put up says to me that you are really stepping it up from your last project Arms of Avalon, and I really like the rank system you put up there, mighty interesting!!!  Grin  Plus, I love how the boss changed its attack pattern to one that is truly Toaplan-ish midway through the battle also!!

Yes, I do have a YouTube account, and as such, is it alright if I upload your gameplay video here on my channel on YouTube?  Thanks so much!!!  cool2 !

Keep up the excellent work that you are doing, my man, and put in some AWESOME sound and music for us to really enhance your game indeed, ok?  angel1=b
Read July 12, 2007, 03:00:41 AM #41
Crimson Knight

Nice video. It's looking pretty good so far. The only complaints I have is that the enemies are just static sprites (some animations would make a big difference), and that the explosions look a bit stiff. Don't get me wrong, I really liked the look of the explosions, they just seemed to look a bit less chaotic than I prefer. When the many weaker enemies were shot in a sequence, the explosions looked the same, which caused a weird effect imo.
I'm thinking of either using sprite rotation or actual animations. With the way I coded the explosions, it'll take some time to make them seem less redundant. I'll add more effects to them also.

I like how the game seems to have a good difficulty curve, as the first enemies seemed really easy, but gradually got harder and harder.
Yeah, that's what I've been trying to accomplish with the rank system. I don't like having fixed settings or even worse, an unchangeable difficulty for the game.

And the sprite designs are top notch. The background could use some variation, but looked good as well.
I plan on keeping it the way it is, but maybe adding different little things each stage, like pits, torches etc.

Yes, I do have a YouTube account, and as such, is it alright if I upload your gameplay video here on my channel on YouTube? 
Sure, go ahead, and give me a link to it also!

And yes, AoA was my first shmup. Ever since then, I've been working on improving my drawing skills. Saberella is much better because I've had more time(and practice) to polish this over the summer, plus I've decided to scale my development of this game down a notch, much better if I keep things simple. Smiley

I'll present another video with the game finalized near the end of the competition. And if things go well down the road, I'll be able to compose my own music! Wish me luck on that.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:02:49 AM by Crimson Knight »
Read July 12, 2007, 06:16:22 AM #42
Adigun A. Polack

Thank you so much, my man Crimson Knight, and the video has now been uploaded successfully to YouTube, and the link is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE4jJhORWGg.

Keep going on the game!!!  Wink !!
Read July 12, 2007, 10:40:43 PM #43
Shoot-em-upper

Saberella looks good so far.  However, the boss's forward bullets seem to come out of nowhere.  Please fix that.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 13, 2007, 10:48:09 AM #44
ReleX

I don't like the powerup things comming at you... sometimes they look like homing bullets or something

-ReleX

crowd: "WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!"
man: "No I'm not!"
Read July 14, 2007, 12:42:42 AM #45
Shoot-em-upper

Yeah, I thought that at first, too.  That definitely needs fixing.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 14, 2007, 10:35:27 AM #46
Crimson Knight

ReleX, I already said those kinds of bullets WILL NOT be in the game, so you're safe, ok? Smiley Also, it'd be really unfair if homing bullets came at you 3x the speed of normal ones wouldn't it?
Read July 14, 2007, 01:04:14 PM #47
Shoot-em-upper

But the instinctive reaction to that kind of thing is dodging.  In shmups, players have to be on their toes to dodge bullets and they only have a quick glance to see what's coming at them.  They basically look like green versions of the enemy bullets, and it doesn't help that they come from enemies.  Maybe it could be improved by making them spinning triangles or something like that.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 05, 2007, 04:11:53 AM #48
Crimson Knight

Re: Saberella(updated 8/5/07, with demo and video!)

Good idea. At least you suggested a way to make them less adverse. Smiley

Just curious, what would you guys want to see in the next demo? Thinking of updating the old one soon.
Read August 06, 2007, 09:24:52 PM #49
Shoot-em-upper

Re: Saberella(updated 8/5/07, with demo and video!)

Another level.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 31, 2007, 11:27:14 PM #50
Crimson Knight

Re: Saberella(updated 8/31/07, with new demo and video!)

Duly noted. Smiley

Got a new demo up. Try it, play with the button config and tell me what you think. Smiley
Read August 31, 2007, 11:54:19 PM #51
cactus

I like it. The graphics are nice, although they could've been less stiff (as in animated), and the enemies behave well. The demo could've used some music, and the sfx for shooting sounded like someone shaking marbles in a tin can. Looking forward to the final version Smiley
Read September 01, 2007, 03:33:32 AM #52
Five Damned Dollarz

The explosions in this are VERY cool and stylish, however the first boss has WAY too much health, I always die before I can kill it Sad
Read September 01, 2007, 03:40:06 AM #53
the2bears

This is shaping up nicely.  The controls "feel" nice and solid.  I honestly feel you've improved quite a lot from last contest.  Nice work Smiley

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read September 02, 2007, 11:17:23 PM #54
Crimson Knight

I like it. The graphics are nice, although they could've been less stiff (as in animated), and the enemies behave well. The demo could've used some music, and the sfx for shooting sounded like someone shaking marbles in a tin can. Looking forward to the final version Smiley
I'm not working on the graphics until the game is for the most part done. I have a lot of experience in drawing sprites now, but animation? Gonna take some time. With things looking the way they are, the custom soundtrack feature may be what you'll have to deal with. And the SFX for shooting.. is marbles in a tin can a GOOD or BAD sound?

The explosions in this are VERY cool and stylish, however the first boss has WAY too much health, I always die before I can kill it Sad
How many powerups did you get? More than 1 should take the boss down in a minute or less. You can use your specials also. The first boss also has reduced HP from the last demo, about 25% less I believe. I kill it too easily without any damage taken, but then again it''s my game. Smiley

A new video is also up, located as an attachement in the first post. This shows a great deal of what I've done, from the action to my bad art. Tongue So if you don't want to spoil the surprise, don't watch the video.
Keep in mind that the graphics will be touched up in the final release hopefully. The music is from Winterwind-MS's "Torrential Uprising", from Newgrounds. Thought it'd fit.

I also noticed that the button config isn't working properly, I fixed that in the updated demo. Due to GM being stupid, in order to assign functions to the arrow keys, you must use F5-F8 keys for up, down, left and right arrow keys respectively.
Read September 03, 2007, 09:45:31 AM #55
battlegorge

Re: Saberella(updated 8/31/07, with new demo AND new video!)

Your game is simple but good Smiley
I like the shooting sound but its a bit too loud.
And with 2 or 3 powerups it sounded like there were bigger breaks between the burst than with power 1.
I am not sure but sometimes it looked like explosions cover bullets.
Bullets should always be on top.
To make the powerup system more interesting you could let the player power up center shot and side shots seperately.
Read September 23, 2007, 12:35:06 AM #56
Crimson Knight

Re: Saberella(updated 9/18/07, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!)

I like the shooting sound but its a bit too loud.
And with 2 or 3 powerups it sounded like there were bigger breaks between the burst than with power 1.
I am not sure but sometimes it looked like explosions cover bullets.
Bullets should always be on top.
To make the powerup system more interesting you could let the player power up center shot and side shots seperately.
There are bigger breaks because the button timing changes slightly( on purpose). I'll see if I can make the explosions and sound better. I think the current way is better, because I'm too lazy to add specific powerups. :p

Sorry cactus, but you may have to deal with the stiffness. I'll see if I can add some rotation or something before the deadline, no promises though.

Look on the bright side though, at least you'll be able to play as a food product. Smiley

Ok, game's been released. Unfortunately, it stops at level 5, because there's a bug that causes the game to freeze in that level, and I'm working on it. I appreciate the feedback on these last days before the deadline, to make sure everything's in tip-top shape! Smiley Check out the BGM folder included too.

(Oh, and you can use the enter key for menus now, instead of the left and right arrows. For those who've endured the madness, I'M SORRY. :p)
Read September 23, 2007, 04:12:22 AM #57
Adigun A. Polack

Re: Saberella(updated 9/18/07, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!)

I tried your very newest version of Saberella as you just mentioned, my man Crimson Knight, and this game plays like a MAGNIFICENT charm so far!!!  Grin=b !

There are some issues, though: 1) even when I pressed the Saber button, it would NOT fire it in this version; and 2) when the Type Switch button is pressed to switch to the Ultra-rapid fire type, the “Firing Overheat” meter quickly fills up, causing the player to die when it is full, which can be a serious issue with some players; and 3) once I setted up my keyboard buttons in the “Key Configuration” portion of the Options screen (within the title screen), then once I get back to the Options menu, I couldn’t even get to “Exit” to exit to the title screen!  Sad

So my important suggestions to you are these, Crimson Knight:

• Make the Saber weapon fully accessible to the players again.
        • Once the “Firing Overheat” meter is full, make the ship FULLY unable to fire shots for only 4-6 seconds, instead of death.
        • Make the “Exit” choice accessible to players at the Options screen, even after the “Key Configuration” as well.

And also... could you create a quick “Game Over” screen (for example, like in Cho Ren Sha 68k when the words “Game Over” flash briefly while all the on-screen action freezes, before going back to the title screen), hmmmm?  Wink

Now those should help you add to an already EXCELLENT game that I am *sure* having a lot of fun with, my man!!!  Real great job on creating Saberella!!!  d=grin2=b
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 04:15:44 AM by Adigun A. Polack »
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 19 queries.