Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Tanks A Lot (COMPLETED)

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
Read July 22, 2007, 02:39:41 PM #40
ReleX

Re: Tank you very much!

looks sweet dude! you went through the trouble of making a 60 frames isometric tank sprite!? damn! (your only going up right so I dont really see why...) howmuch degrees can you turn? Sprites look exellent! whole style somehow reminds me of one of the suddenstrike series. cant wait for a demo! finally a non space entry!

-ReleX

crowd: "WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!"
man: "No I'm not!"
Read July 22, 2007, 03:40:59 PM #41
mice

ReleX:
The tanks rotates in the direction you're moving. Which could be in any of the eight normal directions. And the turret can aim in 5 different directions as well.

kemical:
I'll try 32 frames as you suggested. Can't really burn 7 megs on the main sprite. I don't know why, but I feel strongly against it. Smiley

I've now got some troubles with the fireing of the main tank...seeing that I have no clue at which angle (ortho, ~50deg?) the tanks are rendered in.
Ones I sort that out and make some enemy tanks I throw together a very sloppy demo for you. Need to know if everyone (or rather the few of you trying it) can run this as soon as possible.

EDIT: lol, my stupid f*! (if you pardon my language)
Found a tutorial on how to set the orho view in anim8or custom angles. Wasn't easy though...but it works.
Expect an updated pic soon with ALL of the gfx re-rendered.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 03:58:32 PM by mice »

Read July 23, 2007, 10:12:49 PM #42
Shoot-em-upper

I'm just curious, if green camo doesn't work in the desert, then why did you bother to render 7 megabytes' worth of tank with it?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 23, 2007, 11:26:36 PM #43
pixelizr

Green camo may not work in the desert, but on the other hand, I think a beige tank would result in poor contrast and would kill the playability.
Read July 24, 2007, 12:29:09 AM #44
the2bears

I'm just curious, if green camo doesn't work in the desert, then why did you bother to render 7 megabytes' worth of tank with it?

Perhaps it's because making a game is sometimes a series of experiments.  You try things out to see how they look.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read July 24, 2007, 12:44:11 AM #45
Shoot-em-upper

You're both right.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 24, 2007, 09:02:58 AM #46
mice

You're all 3 right.
Which probably means that a red or a blue tank will be the end result.  Roll Eyes

All tiles and the tank are now rendered with '45 deg from above'. Didn't make much difference.
But I'll be able to calculate precisely where the shots from the turret is to emerge.
Read July 24, 2007, 01:41:52 PM #47
ReleX

I've said it bevore but I really like where this is going! (I have no patiance for isometric sprites... let alone whole games) or is it 3d turned 2d?

-ReleX

Read July 24, 2007, 05:32:14 PM #48
VilleK

kemical:
I'll try 32 frames as you suggested. Can't really burn 7 megs on the main sprite. I don't know why, but I feel strongly against it. Smiley
If you want smoother rotation then perhaps it will work to interpolate between the 32 prerendered angles by using the graphics api to rotate the angles in between. So if the player turns the turret to 40 degrees, and you only have images at 45 and 22.5 degrees then you can rotate the 45 degree picture 5 degrees. Or even rotate both the 45 and 22.5 picture towards 40 degrees and blend them together.

I really like the graphics and look forward to playing this game!

ZGameEditor - Develop 64kb games for Windows.
Thrust for Vectrex - ROM-file and 6809 source code.
Read July 24, 2007, 06:53:32 PM #49
Shoot-em-upper

Or you could program the game in 3D Tongue  If the game's going to be called Tanks a Lot, then you should probably rename the thread.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 24, 2007, 10:15:57 PM #50
mice

I really wish I'd started doing this totally in 3D. So I clearly see your point in have a anti-isometric-view (no pun intended...) ReleX.
And the models used for the renderings doesn't have that many polys either, to it wouldn't have been any more work. It would have made it a lot easier actually.

I tried your suggestion, but it looked...strange (and a bit jerky).
So totally 3D or straight-from-above would have made my life easier.

Will wait a mo' before renaming the thread...I'll leave the title open for a while.

Attached a few more pics, now with a bit of action in them.
And a title screen which my brother is working on. And yes, he's got a wacom tablet.   Smiley

Read July 24, 2007, 10:32:25 PM #51
Deleter

cool screenshots, like the main menu as well Wink
Read July 25, 2007, 06:47:32 AM #52
VilleK

Hmm yes I guess the "api rotation" technique was a long-shot. Hope you did not waste to much time on it. So how about including a ray-tracer and prerender 360 images when the game loads, only kidding Smiley

The "commando" font fits the theme perfectly, and the level-graphics (which I assume is tile-based) looks great and non-repeating.

ZGameEditor - Develop 64kb games for Windows.
Thrust for Vectrex - ROM-file and 6809 source code.
Read July 25, 2007, 11:29:09 AM #53
Korenn

about the 3d comments:

it's not too difficult to combine 2d and 3d. You could have the player's tank be the only true 3d object in the game. You then render the player to a texture and use that as a sprite. you'll have to re-render the sprite everytime the tank rotates, but for only a few sprites that is no problem performance wise.
Read July 26, 2007, 12:18:13 PM #54
mice

I've joined the youtube mania as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHmXF3wcWmQ

Had to create a movie-view in the game to get the aspect ratio right for youtube.
But they totally destroyed the quality.  Angry
I'll try to get the screen size closer the the actual playarea later, might look better.

Didn't take any time at all, well a couple of hours, but anyway.  Smiley
And yes, it's tile based. The ground are made up of quite a large number of tiles, but if you look closely you see the repeating pattern.
I like the stencil font as well, gets the commando tune pumping in my head.

Korenn:
I'd have to re-render the tank at least a couple of times per second, and seeing that there's going to be quite a few objects on screen (eventually) I don't see that there's any time left for that. But maybe I'll try it later.
Read July 26, 2007, 04:12:18 PM #55
X-0ut

Nice video, cant wait to get my hands on this one Smiley
Read July 26, 2007, 04:50:40 PM #56
motorherp

Thats looking really smooth and exciting.  Its really good to see people putting so much polish on their games.

Read July 26, 2007, 08:43:31 PM #57
Adigun A. Polack

This game is looking TOP-CLASS so far, my man mice, telling from that video and what it says to me there!!  Look, I am rather glad that people like you in this competition are *really* stepping up to the challenge and blowing it away sky-high, and for that, I am totally proud of you so far... KEEP GOING!!!  d=grin2=b
Read July 26, 2007, 08:50:17 PM #58
ReleX

yeah looks rad dude!!! real nice and arcady! nice and fast and lots of bullets! (though Id make the tank shoot a little slower but do more damage and make the infanty men reload from time to time) ow and destroyable buildings would be awsome, let alone driving through them with your tank!! Cheesy
I must say that this is my favorite entry at the moment... It just attracts me more than al the (same) space-shmups. Though there are some other cool entries with some fresh and new ideas. Keep it up! (ps: about the size... why not just put 2 black borders in on the sides? to make it 4:3?)

-ReleX

Read July 26, 2007, 09:56:24 PM #59
Shoot-em-upper

A rocket launcher would be the bomb.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 03, 2007, 05:26:16 PM #60
mice

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments. It's quite fun to play it as well...

It's getting close to demo-time.
Need to get some sounds in there as well as polish the font a bit, then I'll upload a demo.
Might happen on sunday. Tomorrow I'm busy in a pinball tournament so nothing will be done.
And on monday my vacation is over.  Cry
So it's either sunday or next weekend.

This is a list of what's done so far:
- 5 enemies
- layout of level 1 complete
- options system in place
- scoring and score system (tied to the options)
- lives counter and game over screen
Read August 03, 2007, 08:33:28 PM #61
mice

Couldn't resist it. Here's another video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Zaz0tpTlA

About 1m 30s this time.
This video business is really fun...
Read August 03, 2007, 09:18:39 PM #62
berilium

Hey Mice! That's pure top class gameplay. Looking really good!!!
Read August 03, 2007, 10:33:42 PM #63
Adigun A. Polack

This new video screams some FIRST-RATE original shmup material to me, mice... and I just love how the new replacement soldiers parachute their way to the ground before joining the fight.  Such EXCELLENT WORK, my man... most splendid enough to warrant us a demo of this, I think!!!  d=grin2=b !
Read August 04, 2007, 12:53:50 AM #64
Shoot-em-upper

I dunno, it looks a bit...easy.  Maybe slowing the player's fire rate and adding more motion to the enemies would help.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 05, 2007, 02:50:19 AM #65
Alex

Seeing it in motion, it looks very slick indeed.  It would be cool if there were airborne enemies too, maybe some of your options can acquire rocket launchers?
Read August 05, 2007, 04:01:34 AM #66
kemical

awesome new video, I got an idea, since you have parachute guys coming in, maybe there could be an enemy type which is a bomber or fighter jet, where you only see it's large shadow quickly swoop across or at an angle with sound effect, and then bombs or some kind of strafing fire follows, effectively creating temporary obstacles that the Player needs to watch out for. 
Could be cool, could be annoying, there would need to be good warning in advance, maybe bomb shadows fading in for where they will land.
Read August 06, 2007, 01:50:05 AM #67
Alex

Or the bombs could drop on parachutes, and the shadow below indicates the area to avoid.
Read August 08, 2007, 02:05:36 AM #68
Shoot-em-upper

Or, the bomber could be your ally! evil1

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 15, 2007, 05:40:51 PM #69
mice

Depression.
Haven't made anything to this in more than two weeks.  Sad

Attached a (waaay premature) demo.
- Arrow keys moves
- 'Z', 'X' and 'C' to fire (and to start the game)
- You can't do anything at the title screen
- The loading takes ageeeees
- No sound effects
- No pickups
- No boss (well, not doing anything anyway)
- No bomber, neither ally nor foe

Hopefully you'll tell me to drop this game and go on with my life so I don't have to bother anymore.  Grin

Read August 15, 2007, 05:54:30 PM #70
Kairos

Sorry to see that you're depressed.
While I would tell you to go on with your life, it's not an option.  Tongue

I liked the game, especially the fact that you're using a tank instead of the standard ship. The problem is that it just seems a bit dull overall. Maybe a little harder would suffice. Anyways, it would be a shame to see it go to waste. Finish up whatever you can, and that would be good enough.

It seems that some entries are already looking a bit down, though at least you should still submit a nice game. If you really can't work on it as a large scale project, 1 level and a polished game should be sufficient. At least you'll feel as if you completed something rather than trashing it.
Read August 15, 2007, 07:31:22 PM #71
Deleter

Well I'll partially commiserate with you. I've been kinda depressed lately, though its probably somewhat my fault. I need to get out and socialize but I haven't because I don't have anyone really to hang out with here. But I've been slowly pushing myself through development, trying to do little bits here and there so if I cheer up I will still have the option to finish it correctly. So keep up with it man, would be a shame for such a (in my opinion) sweet entry to not get submitted. Smiley
Read August 15, 2007, 07:53:09 PM #72
the2bears

Anything I might say will likely be very contrived, but I do like the game so far.  It would be a shame to drop it after getting so far in a new API etc.  So, I'll say "Finish it!" Smiley

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read August 16, 2007, 04:04:58 AM #73
Shoot-em-upper

To paraphrase Pixelizr and Zero Wing, "Finish it for great justice!"

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 16, 2007, 05:50:32 AM #74
Five Damned Dollarz

I'd have to say 'finish it!' too because I played the demo just now and I had some awesome fun, albeit I suck at it, but I had fun while sucking!
Read August 18, 2007, 09:11:34 AM #75
ReleX

very cool mate! like the demo! bit hard though... but I'm trusting you'll balance it out or make like a choise of difficulty. maybe make te tank shoot a little slower? just a thought (I know its arcade) but It might be better for gameplay and visability... keep up the excellent work!

Read August 18, 2007, 09:55:40 AM #76
cactus

Cheer up, man! The game's going great. I hope whatever it is that's getting you down will blow over. Things always get better eventually.

I thought the game seemed well balanced and working really well. It's a tad bit slow, but the aiming makes it not be a problem gameplay wise. I think music/sounds would help make the game feel a bit more action packed, but perhaps you could make the game run slightly faster if not? Just a suggestion.
Read August 18, 2007, 05:43:33 PM #77
berilium

I just played the demo and I really like it A LOT! Wink
So please, finish it for gamers' sake. I really like the whole gameplay idea and is playing good. Although I couldn't pass beyond the first enemy tanks lol, need to play it more.

I am also a bit depressed but it is because my work and studies don't let much free time for my game. Even if I don't finish it for the compo I will continue developing it. Your game is far more completed than mine, so please, keep on going. You are really doing awsome!!
Read August 18, 2007, 09:58:23 PM #78
X-0ut

Just got around to testing the demo, this is great stuff!
At first I found it really hard, but once the controls had settled in I got much further.
Feels very polished.

Now people are mentioning speed, to me it was quite high paced. But there is one thing I'd like to see and thats weapon upgrades, those tanks that come in waves of about 5 are real difficult. Or maybe medpak pickups to replenish some of that lost health.
All in all, really impressed mice - and great originality on the "options" Smiley
Read September 24, 2007, 07:01:47 PM #79
mice

Heeeeelp! Where do I find the shmup-dev-competition banner?
Finally packed my little game when I realised that maybe I should read the rules section in the forum...  Roll Eyes

But motorherp is offline and I really want to upload this now, so I can get back to more important things...like waiting for my first-born to arrive into the world.  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 18 queries.