Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Tanks A Lot (COMPLETED)

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
Read September 24, 2007, 07:12:57 PM #80
Kairos

Re: Tank you very much!

http://www.shmup-dev.com/forum/index.php?topic=1189.msg13531#msg13531

I'm guessing you got some nice amount of progress done? If so, can't wait to see.
Read September 24, 2007, 07:15:38 PM #81
mice

But those are just the sponsor-banners, aren't they? The rules said it should be a shmup-dev banner as well.

And, no, not much progress wise...sorry to say.

Read September 24, 2007, 07:21:07 PM #82
VilleK

Motorherp wrote in a thread that the shmup-logo is not needed, that was the last thing I heard.
Good luck with that other stuff dude  Smiley

ZGameEditor - Develop 64kb games for Windows.
Thrust for Vectrex - ROM-file and 6809 source code.
Read September 24, 2007, 08:07:13 PM #83
mice

Re: Tanks A Lot (COMPLETED)

I'm taking your word for it Ville!
And thanks, I'm going to need it...supposed to have come yesterday.
But 'it' seems to be happy where it is at the moment.  Smiley

Read September 24, 2007, 08:07:45 PM #84
Kairos

Woops, misunderstood your post.

For the time being assume there isn't a competition banner.  Unfortunately my home computer has broken down at the moment so I dont think I'll be able to make one soon.  If it takes too long I'll just not bother with one rather than forcing people to make changes in the last couple weeks.

He hasn't said anything about it since, so I'm guessing its ok.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 08:09:30 PM by Kairos »
Read September 24, 2007, 08:24:05 PM #85
mice

Ey, thanks!
Could've just taken the one on the site though...but didn't think about it until it was too late.

So, the original post is updated with the competition-version.

So, when do the next compo start?  Wink
Read September 25, 2007, 01:06:28 AM #86
Five Damned Dollarz

For the shmup-dev banner you could use text or this one [which is in the graphics forum, by Art_Sempai]:
Read September 25, 2007, 07:15:57 AM #87
battlegorge

Very nice game.
I like the concept. The scoring system is cool.
Maybe it would be better to have 8 fixed positions for your soldiers around the tank.
Then you could dodge bullets with them exactly like with the tank.
And please give this boss some attacks then you have a full stage.  Smiley
Or did i download an older version?
Read September 25, 2007, 07:59:39 AM #88
Five Damned Dollarz

I just completed this demo, I'm slightly disappointed there is no boss, however... I finally beat that bit with 4 turrets Smiley That was where I always died, but I beat it!
Thanks for the experience Smiley
Read September 25, 2007, 05:15:56 PM #89
mice

About the fixed soldiers. I thought it was cool to have the soldier lagging behind since the enemy concentrates its fire towards you. Then the soldiers have a good shot at the enemies.
So most of the times when you want to press 'C' or 'Z' you are much better of by pressing 'X'.
That didn't make any sence, did it?
battlegorge, did the version you download have some really bad sound effects? Then it was the new version...

Sorry about the boss...this whole project was too time-consuming. I made some really bad code-design and gfx-design choices which made the development a real pain. I should have stuck with my old engine and just converted it into java. But I didn't.

Thanks for playing!
Read September 25, 2007, 05:41:12 PM #90
battlegorge

I think the sound effects are quite good!
I just wondered why you didn't make the boss attack, because its already in the game and adding some attacks is fun and doesnt take very long.
Read September 25, 2007, 05:54:12 PM #91
mice

"Just making the sub shoot bullets doesn't make a boss", as the saying goes.  Grin

It would need to have a few hatches which some different forms of canons would pop out of and the center part would need to have a cracked surface that would fall apart and reveal the inner goodies of it which in turn should spew some evil/good looking balls of fire/laser.
A land-bridge would need to lower itself onto the ground and enemy troopers would pour out as cannon fodder.
And every now and then it would have to submerge and release a couple of missiles.

Yep, it sure would be fun to implement, but it's too time consuming for me at the moment.
Still no kid though, seem to be happy where it is. 'It' was due last sunday...

Read September 25, 2007, 07:37:40 PM #92
Deleter

Very nice and smooth. The gameplay is a little slow and clunky to get used to at first, and the fire buttons are x,z, and c, not y (at least on my keyboard Wink) Love the music and graphics, congrats on getting an entry together to submit.  Smiley
Read September 25, 2007, 07:48:45 PM #93
mice

True, my games tend to get slow. Melancholic gameplay-speed, just like the music.  Wink
Thanks for pointing out the key-error. I actually wrote x,y,z...how stupid was that?!

Read September 27, 2007, 05:50:00 PM #94
VilleK

I also thought the action was too slow at first. But then I played a couple of more times and now I like the slower pace. Together with the music and sound effects it makes a very cool game. Still get killed at the bit with the four cannons though Smiley

Read September 29, 2007, 11:47:54 AM #95
monoRAIL

When I run the .bat file I get a window saying 'fatality, sub zero wins' and the game shuts down.
Read September 29, 2007, 03:19:48 PM #96
the2bears

When I run the .bat file I get a window saying 'fatality, sub zero wins' and the game shuts down.

Looks like he finished you Tongue

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read September 29, 2007, 06:02:28 PM #97
VilleK

Sounds like a problem initializing. I guessing you have an old Java-version, check that you have at least Java 1.5.
If you see a stackdump (lots of text) then post it here maybe it can help find the problem.

Read September 29, 2007, 06:12:37 PM #98
the2bears

Sounds like a problem initializing. I guessing you have an old Java-version, check that you have at least Java 1.5.
If you see a stackdump (lots of text) then post it here maybe it can help find the problem.

Well, could be any type of problem... obviously the error message is generated by mice.  But you're right, it's likely in the initialization, could be an OpenGL problem as well.  I'd run the startup batch file from an already created console (command line or dos) window and see if any stack traces are dumped.

Bill

Read September 30, 2007, 10:34:47 AM #99
monoRAIL

Here's what it says

C:\Games\shmups\tanksalot>java -cp .;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar com.tillander.tankyou.TankYou
org.lwjgl.openal.OpenALException: Invalid Value
        at org.lwjgl.openal.Util.checkALCError(Util.java:50)
        at org.lwjgl.openal.ALC10.alcGetInteger(ALC10.java:189)
        at org.lwjgl.openal.ALC11.initialize(ALC11.java:158)
        at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.init(AL.java:180)
        at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:140)
        at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:104)
        at org.lwjgl.openal.AL.create(AL.java:191)
        at com.tillander.util.SoundEffectCreator.<init>(SoundEffectCreator.java:116)
        at com.tillander.tankyou.TankYou.<init>(TankYou.java:138)
        at com.tillander.tankyou.TankYou.main(TankYou.java:37)
Read September 30, 2007, 03:13:47 PM #100
X-0ut

Hmm I'm getting the same error as above.
I played the earlier beta which worked fine - somethings broken. Sad
Read September 30, 2007, 09:57:56 PM #101
mice

It's the exact same thing that got me disqualified in the dragon shmups compo.
My guess is that both of you are running a AMD cpu.
OpenAL is doing something that 'some' AMDs choke on.

Haven't looked in to it though, stupidly enough.
Became a dad yesterday...so my priorities are a bit screwed up at the moment.  Grin
Read September 30, 2007, 10:06:32 PM #102
the2bears

Became a dad yesterday...so my priorities are a bit screwed up at the moment.  Grin

Congratulations!  Cool  Best times of your life are going to start happening now, and the years to come.

Bill

Read September 30, 2007, 10:09:51 PM #103
X-0ut

Congratulations , and what great timing your child has!

PS, I have a p4 not amd.
Read October 01, 2007, 12:03:29 PM #104
mice

Thanks for the congrats. I feel life's changed to the better already!  Grin

Crossout and mono: Could you please remove the openal dll file in the directory where you installed the game and install the latest openal dist (dl at the bottom of the page):
http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46

Probably not worth the effort, but the problem might be fixed in the latest openal version.
I thought this was a AMD-cpu-only problem, but it looks more like a sound-card issue to me now.
It's the last time I use openal. Said that to myself after the dragon compo as well...
Read October 01, 2007, 12:42:15 PM #105
X-0ut

Tanks mice, working great now  Grin
Read October 02, 2007, 04:20:21 PM #106
mice

Darn! Knew I should have taken the whole distribution with the game instead of just taking an older dll file. I did that in the dragon compo, and it just hit me that maybe the judges didn't read the installation-instructions. So, just maybe, I could have avoided the disqualification if I'd just asked them if they did...  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 18 queries.