Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Option V (COMPLETE)

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
Read July 05, 2007, 12:52:54 PM #0
Deleter

Option V (COMPLETE)

Finished
Well its not really done, but its far enough that I can submit it to the competition. I will finish it one day, but I definitely don't have enough time right now. Thanks for the compo I'm glad I had the chance to participate. Good luck to the other participants, I can guarantee you will have at least one entry below yours now Wink.

For the Dragon compo I thought about making something...
For the Autofire compo I had an idea and I posted a thread...

This time I've actually gotten somewhere and feel good about its future Smiley

First some screenshots, then some info:
(new 7/13/2007)
Explosions! (crap now I have to bring the rest of the visuals up to par...)

(new 7/24/2007)
Displaying pickups, uber-death laser, buildings, and weapons

(new 8/8/2007)
Finally shaded player ship, may be editing in the future

(new 8/20/2007)
Level 1 Boss(w/o shading)

Now some info,
The Game:
-Style: Vertical shmup
-Started: July 2nd
-Finish(estimate): Sometime in july
-Estimated 1-2 hours of gameplay
-4 worlds with 3 levels each
-Enemy bosses (final mega-boss Cheesy)
-Option Element: Player controls a hull ship with 5 separable options that can run various programs. More Later...
-Story: Yes

The Engine:
-Programmed in: Freebasic w/bass audio lib
-2d graphics powered by Freebasics own gfxlib2
-Sprite, Bullet, Unit, Map, and Menu code finished
-Built-in devtools in progress
-AI, Particle effects pending

The "Team":
Programmer: Myself
Musician: Christopher Brown
Sound: GroovyAudio shmup stock (thanks x 1000 for that btw)
Artist: Myself and google image
Author: Myself

Any comments welcome, good luck to all the other participants! I'm just using this compo as an excuse to make that high-energy high-action shmup I've always wanted to.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 12:58:50 AM by Deleter »
Read July 05, 2007, 01:32:53 PM #1
ReleX

Re: Option V

-Finish(estimate): July 14th

Are you kidding me? that's quite fast. You said you never finish a game. (wich is not so strange seeing the time you give yourself) The compo deadline is in september! Anyway, welcome to the compo! Good luck! Ow and ehm whats that on the BG of your menu? Wool? Insides? Brown clouds? poo?

-ReleX

crowd: "WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!!!"
man: "No I'm not!"
Read July 05, 2007, 01:39:33 PM #2
Deleter

On the contrary, I said I've never finished a shmup.

Check out http://deleter.phatcode.net/ for some of my projects. If you notice, the ones I've finished were completed in one session, usually less than 24 hours. So the 14th is in fact a long time, not a short one Wink. Especially considering I have at least 50% of the engine up already, if not more, and that was done in 3 days. Engine should be done in a day or two, after that its just levels and artwork to do. And I suppose I forgot to mention I have just about nothing else to do.

And actually in the main menu those are mountains. Well it was a mud texture, but I thought it looked more like mountains so thats my story and I'm sticking to it. Wink
Read July 05, 2007, 02:07:16 PM #3
ReleX

lol! the comment about your BG was just a joke! I like em.
Ow and yeah I ment to say: never finished a shmup.

And I suppose I forgot to mention I have just about nothing else to do

That changes everything! Tongue Its still quite fast though.

-ReleX

Read July 05, 2007, 06:00:06 PM #4
Adigun A. Polack

My man Deleter, I want to welcome you to the this competition, and it is so good of you to be here too!!!  Grin=b

Besides my development part of the VERY first two previous entries ever done in FreeBASIC for Shmup-dev (both the Dragon Dancer and Marvellous Twilight compo versions would come to mind), I sure hope you step it up and create something as really damn awesome as ever, so HOP TO IT!!!  Wink !

And speaking of stepping it up, you really do need to improve the graphics here, because they look very bland and boring at the moment.  BUT, you can change that by clicking right here and studying the graphics tutorials that I have provided there for aspiring new entrants like you.  That way, I am sure that you will do as *splendidly* good a job as ever in giving the graphics a wonderful makeover, you know?  grin2

Also, Option V sounds like a mighty good name for your project!!!  Just take your time and do not rush, as you have rather PLENTY of time until the end of this September to come up with a wicked awesome entry here... so do an excellent job on the game itself, especially right down to the core gameplay, too!!!  d=Cool=b
Read July 05, 2007, 07:31:06 PM #5
Deleter

And speaking of stepping it up, you really do need to improve the graphics here, because they look very bland and boring at the moment

Whoa thats sorta harsh AAP. Not all coders can be as lavish art designers as yourself Wink. Perhaps if you told me what you meant I could work on it. However keep in mind if you are talking about the ship at all, thats honestly just a placeholder, the real ship art is going to be much more intricate and involved. If you are talking about the terrain, I kinda like the style it currently is, and its going to get more interesting once I throw in "doodads" which are basically things such as buildings, reefs, cars, drains, wells,trees, and anything that comes to my mind that I can use to spruce up the environment.

And about the deadline, that was just an estimate at this time, if I need more time I'll be more than willing to take it, I'm not into rushing this game, its just going really smoothly and has the potential of being finished at said date. We will see...And yes of course I will focus on gameplay, thats why I'm getting everything else out of the way, so I can just keep coding/tweaking/ and testing the gameplay until I drop, and then be done Wink.
Read July 05, 2007, 08:16:16 PM #6
cactus

And speaking of stepping it up, you really do need to improve the graphics here, because they look very bland and boring at the moment
Whoa thats sorta harsh AAP. Not all coders can be as lavish art designers as yourself Wink

Yeah, that was really harsh, Adigun. I'm sure you didn't mean to offend, but that was brutal Cheesy

I kinda see where he's coming from, though. The terrain shots are decent, but I think it looks quite oversaturated, and more suitable for a RTS rather than a shmup. If you aren't an art designer, then maybe you should look into making an abstract shoot 'em up? You can create fantastic visuals with only geometrical shapes or outlines. Just look at Kenta Cho's games, Nomitest, Warning Forever or Geometry wars.

Hell, a really good programmer could make a game with shit for sprites and it'd still rock. You just need to make up for it by having the perfect gameplay. Still, I think it's easier to go for a style that works than making a game with gameplay that can make up for a lackluster presentation. I'd advice you to find a game with a style that you like and try your best to do something similar. It usually results in that your own personallity gets mixed into it and a "new" style emerges.

This site has a really good variety of freeware/demo shoot 'em ups:
http://shootthecore.moonpod.com/database.php

And I played that Caddy Rampage game on your site. Quite a nice minigame. The "Hole in one!" thing was a great detail. Seems like you could indeed make a fun entry. I think you need to really work hard if your ambition is to win, though. Lot of highprofile entries so far Grin
Read July 05, 2007, 08:41:48 PM #7
Deleter

I'd advice you to find a game with a style that you like and try your best to do something similar.
Well tbh thats already what I'm doing. My favorite shmup is Raptor: Call of the Shadows, so thats what I'm going for. I guess I could lessen the saturation, but tbh that was the style I was going for. But now that you mention it it does remind me more of an rts than a shmup Wink. I'll take that into account as I get further into development.

And I played that Caddy Rampage game on your site. Quite a nice minigame. The "Hole in one!" thing was a great detail. Seems like you could indeed make a fun entry.
Thanks a lot! And just fyi, that was created in a marathon session of 19 hours, I wasn't kidding about the way I develop.

I think you need to really work hard if your ambition is to win, though. Lot of highprofile entries so far
Well personally, if I finish this thing that will be a victory enough for me Wink.

Thanks everyone for the criticism and comments! I'll redouble my efforts in the art department once the engine is finished, as it seems I have a lot of improvements I can make. G.Luck and G.Day Smiley
Read July 05, 2007, 09:44:53 PM #8
Adigun A. Polack

I did not know that that was a placeholder there.  Shocked !  Well in that case, I should have MUCH paid more attention.  I understand that many of our entrants need to step it up to excellence, but I did not mean to be that harsh a person (when really, I ended up that way by mistake today).  cry1  As such, I am terribly sorry on purpose for that “bland and boring” remark, Deleter.

I really need to pay close attention, and I feel that cactus was *absolutely* correct here.  I was so overly focused in recent days on watching entries, without getting much sleep at all.  Perhaps I need to just chill and take a break before I can continue.

Once again, my serious apologies for the little trouble that I caused.  Wink

« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 09:47:15 PM by Adigun A. Polack »
Read July 06, 2007, 12:27:24 AM #9
Deleter

Don't sweat it Adigun, I knew you meant the best. Wink

Progress:
-Switched tile size from 160x160 to 128x128 for a better scale.
-"Muted" the tile colors to make it a little more shmuppy.
-Improved sprite resource system
Read July 06, 2007, 12:33:07 AM #10
relsoft

Yo deleter! Nice to see you here!  Option V sounds cool and preliminary screens look rad. Don't mind AAP. Hehehehehehehe.  "Option Voltron"? Or "Option Voltes V"?
 Cheesy

Hello
Read July 06, 2007, 01:15:42 AM #11
Adigun A. Polack

Hey, I fully understand, Deleter.  Glad to see now that things are jolly good, I gotta say!!  cool2=b

I just want you to do as amazingly well as you can on your contest project in FB, and so I am gonna be as fair as ever... got that?  Smiley !
Read July 07, 2007, 06:00:12 PM #12
Shoot-em-upper

The background texture is mud?  I thought it was a loofa Tongue
But, yeah, this looks like it has a lot of promise.  You don't see many shmups with level editors.  Neat idea.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 09, 2007, 04:55:22 AM #13
Deleter

Progress:
-Tweaked color scheme
-Doodad editing up and running
-Doodad displaying up
-Player ship sketch added

Original post updated with a new screenshot.
Read July 12, 2007, 07:51:26 AM #14
Deleter

Progress:
-Added Option Control Code
-Updated Player ship
-Added Enemy Control Code
-Added bullet firing code into controls

I guess now is as good of time as any to reveal my option element. Wink The player ship is a hull with 5 separable options that can either dock with it or run one of several programs. The screenshot is a demonstration of 3 options docked/2 others running the circle program:

Read July 12, 2007, 06:22:36 PM #15
Adigun A. Polack

Not a bad start here, Deleter.  Not bad, and I like the ship design, as it is a very nice start so far to be fully honest with you here!!  Wink !
Read July 12, 2007, 07:26:12 PM #16
AphexTwins

Looks good, but if you are expecting to finish this in two more days, you better take out the placeholder and put in the real ship...
Read July 12, 2007, 08:30:46 PM #17
Deleter

Looks good, but if you are expecting to finish this in two more days, you better take out the placeholder and put in the real ship...
I'll finish it when its done Wink. The 14th was just an estimate, which I am receding...
Read July 13, 2007, 11:33:23 PM #18
Deleter

Progress:
-Enemy editing implemented completely into dev tools
-Explosions added. Smiley
-Added enemy ship sketch

Completion:
Game design:70%
Engine: 80%
Art:5%
Levels:5%

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 12:09:21 AM by Deleter »
Read July 14, 2007, 12:29:42 AM #19
Shoot-em-upper

Enemies are now fully implemented after a nice 10 hour coding session:

10 hours?  Ouch.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 14, 2007, 12:59:18 AM #20
Deleter

Enemies are now fully implemented after a nice 10 hour coding session:

10 hours?  Ouch.

Yeah, more like 5 hours for the enemies, 5 for cleaning up the engine a bit and implementing various scraps of code.
Read July 16, 2007, 04:27:04 AM #21
Deleter

Re: Option V (Looking for sprite criticism ;) )

Progress:
-Added in a particle engine
-Shaded/Colored/textured enemy sprite

I'm a programmer first, and a pixel artist second, nah make that tenth. So, if you could give me advice and constructive criticism that would be great. Especially on the shading, as this will probably be on of my first non-pillow shaded sprites. Wink Added the original drawing in there just for fun. Smiley

Read July 16, 2007, 01:16:03 PM #22
ReleX

its quite ok in my oppinion.. has quite a unique style... probaby allot of work though Tongue especially if you want to do all the sprites like that.

-ReleX

Read July 16, 2007, 01:42:05 PM #23
Kairos

Some nice dithering, but you'll have to do something to the mesh thingy on the bottom of the sprite; doesn't fit well.
You're doing fine with the graphics, but something isn't right...

EDIT:

I hope you don't mind this.

Yours:

Mine:

What you needed to do was to distribute the dithering throughout to make it look proper, but you don't need to if you don't want to do that, it just might be my style. Also, the shading needs a little more depth; and you use lines that are unclean (single pixel lines are good, any line with a width of more than a pixel is bad). So I tried to throw some more detail in, and that's what I got. Your lines still look somewhat jagged, but it's hard to make it right when doing sprites like that, anyways. I'm by no means a good pixel artist, but those things you should keep in mind. Try to study what I added to it. You could use the original cannons though, I didn't do so good on that. Don't use black for lines inside the sprite. I didn't anti-aliase the mesh thing... didn't do it at the right angle either, but it works.

Use it if you want. If you don't want to go into that much detail, your original sprite will do.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 02:49:41 PM by Kairos »
Read July 17, 2007, 03:17:54 AM #24
Deleter

Yeah while yours is good, I kinda like mine. Also on my current version the grate has been shaded as well, a friend pointed that out to me Wink. Thanks for the tips I'll keep them in mind in the future. Smiley
Read July 24, 2007, 03:07:27 AM #25
Deleter

Re: Option V (New screenshot 7/24)

Update:
-added particle effects
-refactored enemy handling system
-added option management code
-added ship-ship collision
-added pickups
-added buildings
-added more option ai code
-added death laser
-added two new enemies (not displayed)
-began implementation of hud

Showing particles, pickups, buildings, death laser, weapons, and beginnings of a hud
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 03:10:42 AM by Deleter »
Read July 24, 2007, 07:03:33 PM #26
Shoot-em-upper

I think that I've seen that laser somewhere before...

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 24, 2007, 08:15:58 PM #27
Deleter

How original can a laser look? And I doubt that the other one(s) you saw was(were) dithered Wink
Read July 24, 2007, 08:36:55 PM #28
stwelin

You invented dithering?  Shocked
Read July 25, 2007, 07:36:36 PM #29
Shoot-em-upper

How original can a laser look?

Well, it's shaped a lot like the ones in Stwelin's Secret Lab and Bullet Symphony, which both are shaped like the one in DoDonPachi.  Still, it looks neat.  Doesn't look dithered, though.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 25, 2007, 11:02:11 PM #30
pixelizr

I think I've seen that water somewhere before. Those patches of blue just seem so familiar. Wink
Read July 26, 2007, 05:03:44 AM #31
Shoot-em-upper

Har har.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 26, 2007, 08:34:42 PM #32
ReleX

indeed... sprites look familliar... but that would probably be because if you just start spriting and only use paint it always looks like this Tongue?

-ReleX

Read July 26, 2007, 09:15:19 PM #33
HunchedWarrior

The water does looks like it came from the "Clouds" filter.

Personal opinion: Use it like noise, gradients and lens flares... don't. (Or at least use it subtly)
If the water is a WIP then nevermind Smiley.

I do like the enemy sprite there. Nice and aquatic

Are you ready set?
We started on a trip to hell
Read July 26, 2007, 09:31:27 PM #34
pieslice

The water does looks like it came from the "Clouds" filter.

Personal opinion: Use it like noise, gradients and lens flares... don't. (Or at least use it subtly)
If the water is a WIP then nevermind Smiley.

I do like the enemy sprite there. Nice and aquatic

Depends. It's quite useful for basis for an organic materials.

The lightning textures in Sylph Wind are done by multilayering 'clouds' in photoshop.
Read July 27, 2007, 03:10:06 PM #35
Deleter

Actually the water was made from scratch and started in paint, touched up in gimp. Wink Not sure if its final or not, depends on in the end whether or not it goes good enough with the rest of the art.
Read July 30, 2007, 05:49:07 PM #36
HunchedWarrior

Pieslice: The Clouds, Difference Clouds, Contrast=Lightning trick? Looks good, I never really could control it all that great though, I usually use layers of blurred lines so I can get exactly the bolts I want, though it is time consuming.

I don't have a problem with the clouds filter as a basis for something, (that's where the "subtly" part came from) I just don't like it when it appears to be all that was done since all you get is an amorphous blobby blur.

Deleter:
I think a good example for water in a SHMUP is in 19XX by Capcom. (Raptor's water is pretty similar) It's a base of colour with highlights to give it shape and make it shine like water. Fairly simple to do and looks quite good in motion. As the water gets shallower the base colour gets lighter and less blue.

Are you ready set?
We started on a trip to hell
Read July 31, 2007, 01:02:27 AM #37
Deleter

Thanks for the tip, I'll put that in the todo list. Now I just have to finish the last scraps of the engine...
Read August 08, 2007, 03:48:16 PM #38
Deleter

Re: Option V (New screenshot 8/8)

Finally shaded the ship. Not completely satisfied, may redo it we'll see. Mostly been working on engine internals, just trying to push this thing into beta so I can start tweaking the gameplay. Got a list of about 5 things standing between me and there, hopefully my next post will be following my completion of these 5.

Cheers

edit: I'm looking for a musician who could make me at least working versions of about seven 1-2 minute tracks by the 20th. I'm planning on releasing a more finished version of this game after the competition ends, so you'll get a chance to properly finish your tracks for the final release.

edit2:found musician
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 12:10:53 AM by Deleter »
Read August 19, 2007, 12:35:11 AM #39
LachieD

You are welcome. Wink
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 19 queries.