Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Option V (COMPLETE)

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Read August 20, 2007, 09:02:09 AM #40
Deleter

Re: Option V

Update: Reached beta, which means other than a sprite I have to shade, everything is finished that I am submitting to this contest. Cheesy (Well except the music, which I am waiting on my musician for Wink.

Thanks a lot Shmup dev, I probably wouldn't have reached this point if not for this contest, you guys are great.

Here's a screenshot of the boss who needs some shading:

After I smooth out some rough edges and get that music, I will upload an open beta/contest version of my game.

Deleter out.
Read August 20, 2007, 09:13:40 AM #41
Five Damned Dollarz

Re: Option V (reached beta :))

That's an awesome boss design, I hope that it'll be a good challenge to fight Wink
Also, if you intend to dither that thing, get ready for one hell of a grueling process embarassed1
Good luck Smiley
Read August 20, 2007, 02:39:48 PM #42
Deleter

Also, if you intend to dither that thing, get ready for one hell of a grueling process embarassed1
Oh I know....Right now I almost think it would be easier to manually un-dither every other sprite than to dither that mother...

So I guess I'll ask for some opinions, do you guys think I can get away with just smooth shading the boss and leaving everyone else? Or should I just drop the dithering all together? Or, do you like the dithering, and think I should suck it up and dither that monster?

Thanks for your compliments Five Smiley.
Read August 20, 2007, 04:44:02 PM #43
berilium

So I guess I'll ask for some opinions, do you guys think I can get away with just smooth shading the boss and leaving everyone else? Or should I just drop the dithering all together? Or, do you like the dithering, and think I should suck it up and dither that monster?

Or should you ask some one for help Wink

I like the dithering so I vote for it.
Read August 20, 2007, 05:02:23 PM #44
Adigun A. Polack

Well Deleter, Id simply and most honestly say that for such a contest entry that is created in FreeBASIC, you are doing a pretty excellent job so far, and I really like the carefully crafted dithering-style shading in this one (especially on your ship)... as such, I am truly looking forward to playing your demo!!!  d=Grin=b

Best of wonderful success to you on the rest of the game... it could be as good a FreeBASIC-created entry as my compo versions of Dragon Dancer and Marvellous Twilight!!!  wink2
Read August 20, 2007, 10:47:28 PM #45
Shoot-em-upper

I thought I'd seen dithering when I saw your player ship...that crab's going to take forever.  But, as Berilium noted, I like the dithering.  So, to paraphrase our good friend Adigun - Go for it! d= Grin=b

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 20, 2007, 11:05:49 PM #46
kemical

that boss looks really cool!  If you're manually dithering... there may be a faster solution, to achieve similar results you could use grayscale gradient fills of various types, and then convert the image to a lower limited color palette so that it dithers automatically.  I'd use photoshop for that but I'm not sure what tool you are using, I'm sure there are other freeware programs which can dither images, especially if dealing with gif or png format.   Another idea would to use a vector based drawing program and use the gradient shapes in that, to better achieve the shaded look (using gradients on vector shapes usually results in the gradient stretching and warping to match the shape nicely)
Read August 21, 2007, 01:16:42 AM #47
cactus

I think the crab looks cool as it is. An option would be to stylize the graphics a bit, which would require very little effort...

I messed around with the screenshot in Photoshop a bit:
[1] - Added grain, black and white plus transparent red screentone, blur
[2] - Grain, black and white and level change
[3] - Just plain ol' hue/saturation change

I have to say that the player ship looks a bit big. I hope the hitbox is a lot smaller than that. And I'm still not a fan of the background in it's current state. And the colours are very over saturated. Especially the green bars on the sides. Other than that, it looks pretty cool.
Read August 21, 2007, 02:46:18 AM #48
pixelizr

It's a GIANT ENEMY CRAB!!! Grin

Hmmm... by any chance, is your game based on real events that took place in Japanese history? Wink
Read August 21, 2007, 03:19:39 AM #49
Deleter

I have to say that the player ship looks a bit big. I hope the hitbox is a lot smaller than that. And I'm still not a fan of the background in it's current state. And the colours are very over saturated. Especially the green bars on the sides. Other than that, it looks pretty cool.

Yeah the art is still a wip. The green bars are 100% development, I haven't had time to artistify those yet Wink. They are just there for functional purposes.

@pixelizr, possibly Wink

@cactus, the player ship does seem a bit big, but you have to realize all the parts come off which make it smaller. Also currently the collision from ship to ship uses a pretty small hit box, so thats no worry.

@kemical, I use gimp. Currently what I was thinking of was using say 5 colors instead of 3, and then writing a simple program to translate the 2nd and 4th colors into a mix of the other colors. We'll see. I don't really have time to learn vector based drawing atm so that can't help me.

@AAP, thanks a lot, I'm just glad I've actually gotten somewhere with this project.

@berilium, if I could get an artist that would be great, but I'm leaving in two days and won't be back until after the compo ends, so I highly doubt I'll be able to manage that. For the final version though I'm still considering getting some outside help on the graphics.
Read September 25, 2007, 03:07:17 PM #50
Deleter

Ahh how college eats up time  lipsrsealed2. This thing really deserves better but I would hate not to submit anything when I've come so far. So I will submit it as-is just for the sake of things. I will definitely finish this sucker and give it the treatment it deserves, but it will be a while. Sorry for the roughness, hope people can enjoy it anyway. Smiley Thanks for the compo I'm glad I had the chance to participate. Good luck to the other participants, I can guarantee you will have at least one entry below yours now Wink.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 12:57:49 AM by Deleter »
Read September 25, 2007, 05:31:54 PM #51
Adigun A. Polack

Re: Option V (COMPLETE)

Quite a solid performer of an entry, Deleter... even for a game created in FreeBASIC, too!!!  Wink=b  If there is only one minor issue, it is the look on that crab boss, which should have been more detailed and colored in.  Other than that, though, TRULY a fun little game in the spirit of the MS-DOS classic Raptor, plus, I definitely like the option formations with a dash of Terra Cresta thrown in, you know?  Grin !

I *sure* hope development on this one continues forward indeed, even after this competition is through and gone.  Great effort, especially in stepping up and finally going for it, my man!!!  Cool !!
Read September 25, 2007, 07:32:44 PM #52
Deleter

Yeah I know about the crab. It kills me to release it like that completely unfinished, but I simply don't have the time to dedicate to finishing it. Thanks for the positive words AAP, I definitely plan on continuing the development of this, I'm too addicted to the gameplay to do anything else.
Read September 26, 2007, 01:19:57 AM #53
Five Damned Dollarz

Wow, that was really fun, I played through the game with only my laser once though, because I didn't read the controls Smiley and I still won! but then I figured the controls out properly and it was REALLY fun, I liked the way you could choose your option modes, etc. good game, very cool, I look forward to future releases Smiley
Read September 29, 2007, 09:31:26 PM #54
Deleter

Thanks, I look forward to making future releases. It actually pains me to release this as it is lacking so many of the features and things I have planned for it. Right now its just the bare gameplay skeleton of what it should be.
Read September 29, 2007, 10:48:09 PM #55
Adigun A. Polack

Deleter, since time is *very* much about up for this whole current competition, could you please upload your entry to the very opening post on Page 1 of this whole entry thread of yours, for our convenience?  Thanks a lot, and great job once again!!!  Grin=b
Read September 30, 2007, 12:59:46 AM #56
Deleter

Done and thanks.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 19 queries.