Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Garden of Coloured Lights - Completed!

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
Read July 08, 2007, 05:27:27 AM #0
Linley

Garden of Coloured Lights - Completed!

So it's time to release what will hopefully be the final version of Garden of Coloured Lights! It's attached to this post below. I'll do some more testing tonight, though, and if I find anything which needs fixing I'll put up a revised final version tomorrow. Hopefully that will be unnecessary.

Basically it's a vertical shooter with music game elements (well, the enemies are kind of musical). The options are three weapons you get to choose at the start and upgrade through use as you go along. This version adds Stage 4 and makes many refinements - new features and things are discussed in a post which I'm about to make later in this thread.

Here are some newish screenshots (because I was getting sick of the ugly early-version screenshot which was here before):

Stage 1

Stage 2

Stage 3

Stage 4

I've also attached the C source for anyone interested in that.

Have fun!

EDIT:

Needless to say version 1.0 wasn't perfect and I've uploaded version 1.01. It fixes a few trivial issues with 1.0. Also, I added two new screenshots.

EDIT:

Guess what? Version 1.01 had a few minor issues as well. Incredible, I know. Have a look at the post on page 2 for a discussion of these, or just download the files from here or from allegro.cc.

EDIT:

If you're not a shmup-dev member and the download links don't appear, you can also get it from Allegro.cc at:
http://www.allegro.cc/depot/GardenofColouredLights
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 10:44:30 AM by Linley »

Read July 08, 2007, 07:29:09 AM #1
Adigun A. Polack

Re: Garden of Coloured Lights

Simple graphics so far, but *very* promising on your new entry for this competition, Linley!  And with that, I say keep it up, and welcome to the contest!!!  d=Wink=b

And Garden of Coloured Lights is such an inspiringly AWESOME name on this project of yours, by the way!!!  cool2 !
Read July 08, 2007, 08:28:26 AM #2
cactus

That looks really nice! I loved the style of Excellent Bifurcation and the gameplay was pretty damn tight. I'm really glad to see that you're entering. Good luck!  wink2
Read July 08, 2007, 10:00:57 AM #3
Nobody

Those graphics are sex.
Read July 08, 2007, 03:54:38 PM #4
motorherp

Good to see you joining in again Linley.  I really enjoyed Excellent Bifurcation so good luck with maintaining your high standard.

Read July 08, 2007, 05:00:59 PM #5
Adigun A. Polack

My man motorherp, I gotta agree with you that Linley’s last entry of Excellent Bifurcation did such an EXCELLENT job at making such a high-wire act of originality *truly* successful with all of the stops already out... and that is part of what keeps this awesome shmup genre alive and kicking!!!  Grin !

I am precisely confident that Linley is gonna really step up and make something so mmm mmmm good out of this new project, you know that?  d=cool1=b
Read July 10, 2007, 12:15:11 AM #6
monoRAIL

Looks great, I like the lines on the bullets. Is the little grey object the player? That could be a more interesting shape I think.
Read July 14, 2007, 12:56:46 AM #7
Shoot-em-upper

As so many others have said, those graphics are very excellent...bifurcation-ish.  Make this as good as Excellent Bifurcation was.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 14, 2007, 04:47:40 AM #8
Linley

Hey, thanks everyone for the encouragement! I'm really looking forward to seeing all of your games as well. Particularly Cactus' entry... (I especially like those character portraits at the start).

Things are going well and I'm about to start working on the sound. I hate sound. Things were easier when I was writing text mode games where nobody expects there to be sound :)

I had a great time writing Excellent Bifurcation, but the two-screen thing was really limiting in a lot of ways. In particular, putting everything on one screen means bullet patterns can be more interesting without also being totally impossible. There were also a few inconsistencies in the graphics which I'm trying to get right this time.

The little grey thing is indeed the player. It's animated and now has various options buzzing around it so it looks better than the screenshot suggests, but it certainly isn't fixed. Anything could change over the next couple of months.

I'll try to post some more screenshots soon, if I can take some time away from having fun with transparent drawing primitives...
Read July 16, 2007, 04:13:37 PM #9
cactus

I'm really looking forward to seeing all of your games as well. Particularly Cactus' entry... (I especially like those character portraits at the start).
Thanks, you're definitely on in the top three entries I'm looking forward to most as well.

Things are going well and I'm about to start working on the sound. I hate sound. Things were easier when I was writing text mode games where nobody expects there to be sound Smiley
I thought the sound effects and music was excellent for the second level in Excellent Bifurcation. They fit slightly less well with the first, but I think you did the best in this category out of pretty much all the entries I tried last year.

I had a great time writing Excellent Bifurcation, but the two-screen thing was really limiting in a lot of ways. In particular, putting everything on one screen means bullet patterns can be more interesting without also being totally impossible. There were also a few inconsistencies in the graphics which I'm trying to get right this time.
The two screen element seemed like such a gimmick when I first played the game, but I was amazed to see how well it worked. Must've taken a lot of effort to sync the enemy waves and keep it playable, not to mention that you had several difficulties Shocked

The little grey thing is indeed the player. It's animated and now has various options buzzing around it so it looks better than the screenshot suggests, but it certainly isn't fixed. Anything could change over the next couple of months.
I actually quite liked the player sprite. It has the best design of all the graphics I see on the screen, in my opinion. But I quite like the background and enemies as well.

I'll try to post some more screenshots soon, if I can take some time away from having fun with transparent drawing primitives...
Looking forward to that  Wink
Read July 17, 2007, 11:56:31 AM #10
Linley

Here's the latest screenshot:

As you can see, the options are there now, as is a new enemy and the bullet from some kind of cannon thing the player has spinning around.
Read August 12, 2007, 12:35:16 AM #11
Linley

Sorry for the lack of updates, but things are going along nicely. Should be a demo of level 1 in a week or so. Then I have about a month to write the next three levels, because I want this to be a bit fuller than Excellent Bifurcation. Expect lots of strange geometrical shapes and weird music synchronised to the fun!
Read August 12, 2007, 10:32:51 PM #12
Shoot-em-upper

That smoking cannonball is cool.  Really cool.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 17, 2007, 09:20:19 AM #13
cactus

Glad to hear that things are going well. The screenshots look absolutely fabulous! The smoking canonball is really something else, as Shoot-em-upper said. Longing to play that demo grin2
Read August 21, 2007, 07:03:04 AM #14
Linley

Okay, as promised here is the first demo of Garden of Coloured Lights (attached to this post).  You can play up to the end of the first level, but there's no boss as yet.

Things about it:
- I suggest using the standard option configurations at first, but you can also choose any three of the nine weapons.
- Use light, fast-firing weapons against small enemies and bigger, slower-firing weapons against large enemies.
- Each time you destroy an enemy you gain energy/power/experience/whatever in the weapons you used to damage it (split among weapons according to the proportional of the damage to the enemy they caused). This is represented in the orange bars at the top left. You don't get anything for enemies which escape.
- Fill an orange bar and the weapon levels up, becoming more powerful.
- The title screen isn't really done yet. Neither are high scores or options other than difficulty and key config. Matt will be relieved to know that there is a pause function this time :) (press escape)
- System requirements should be minimal. I recommend using good speakers or headphones, because the sound is a pretty important part of the game.

Have fun, and let me know what you think! All criticisms/suggestions are welcome. Please be as harsh as you think appropriate.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone can't get it to run, as it should run on almost any Windows computer.
Read August 21, 2007, 07:32:51 AM #15
brog

Re: Garden of Coloured Lights - Demo 21/8

I really like the audio, very cool.
I like the way the enemies move - sitting still for a while and then shuffling themselves.
The weapons are interesting, especially the melee-style one - not something often seen in shmups.  And getting to choose whichever three you like, excellent.
What I really don't like is the delays on the weapons.  I don't like how when I shoot a big fireball I then have to wait for it to move off the screen before I can fire my standard fast gun again.  It just makes me feel uncomfortable at being denied my main weapon, and conditions me against using the fireball.  I'd be inclined to suggest making the three weapons have separate timers, or maybe just make the delays shorter.
Read August 21, 2007, 07:37:31 AM #16
Nobody

This is awesome. The sound, the sword, all the choises... It's just a bit too hard for my baby skills. :3

One of my most favourite entries at the moment.
Read August 21, 2007, 10:42:48 AM #17
monoRAIL

Very nice game! I also found the weapon switching delay frustrating, although I understand the reason for it, to limit the use of the powerful weapons. I'd still get rid of it though, the low rate of fire and slow speed should be enough of a detriment to constantly using the powerful weapons. I also found the non-centered shooting position caused me to miss sometimes. Perhaps you could have the active option move to the center when it's being fired, and leave the other 2 orbiting?

Finally - fullscreen graphics mode and analog joypad support would really make this very playable. Keep it up, this is a definite contender for the winner.
Read August 21, 2007, 02:13:36 PM #18
the2bears

I'm liking this alot  Grin

Great stuff!

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read August 21, 2007, 02:48:35 PM #19
Kairos

Very top notch, definitely a contender for first place. Your weapon selection system is very good; also, the enemies and sound are very well done. The only thing I disliked was the slight delay on the weapons. Other than that, I'm looking forward to seeing a boss. Keep it up  Smiley
Read August 21, 2007, 09:04:56 PM #20
Adigun A. Polack

Linley, I think you did such an OUTSTANDING job on this game... the gameplay, while a bit slow-paced, still is top-notch phenomenal — especially with three (3) different weapons to control on the fly!!!  d=Cheesy=b

I really liked the 8-bit chiptune ambient look in the music and sound effects a lot... and this stuff works well, too!!  cool1

I hope you finish this entry up in time, because it is DEFINITELY shaping up to be one of the serious big winners of this competition already, my man... so take advantage of it all and keep that awesome stuff up!!!  grin2 !!
Read August 22, 2007, 05:17:17 AM #21
Adigun A. Polack

Okay.  I have just now uploaded on YouTube TWO (2) videos of my own original play of this splendid Garden of Coloured Lights demo here, so here we go!!!  Grin

The first vid shows you a regular No-Miss play from me in the Normal mode (found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoxoV1Tb4Ww); and the second is a *very* special No-Miss play in the Hard mode using only my sword weapon in this game (found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqT-Adogtbg).

Enjoy them both, everyone, and thanks so very much for your wonderful viewing here!!!  d=Wink=b

And pardon me please for my double post, too.  angel2 !
Read August 22, 2007, 06:50:27 AM #22
Linley

Thanks for all the comments!

I'll have a look at the firing delay thing. It's there to balance the weapons a bit but it can definitely be reworked. Maybe the light weapons can have a weaker firing more while waiting for the larger weapons to reload, or something like that.

The orbital weapons are meant to be a bit imprecise... it's part of the challenge :)

Fullscreen will definitely be an option (it already is, I just haven't written the initfile yet). I don't have a gamepad, though, so I might not be able to do this.

Adigun: thanks for making the videos! Unfortunately this Internet cafe blocks Youtube so I can't watch them yet, but I'll see if I can get them some other time. If it's possible to no-miss level 1 hard using only the sword I can tell I'm going to have to make it more difficult somehow :). Probably level 2 will have enemies which actively dodge.
Read August 22, 2007, 03:01:49 PM #23
cactus

Finally - fullscreen graphics mode would really make this a definite contender for the winner.
I completely agree. (Sorry for editing the quote)

As for a minor detail, the explosions look phenomenal, but you still get a feeling that the enemies just dissappear into thin air. Debris or something like that could make them look a bit cooler.
Read August 22, 2007, 03:10:31 PM #24
the2bears

As for a minor detail, the explosions look phenomenal, but you still get a feeling that the enemies just dissappear into thin air. Debris or something like that could make them look a bit cooler.

If you look at the source for every Cactus game, there's this line

#include debris.engine

You are so biased for debris  Grin

Bill

Read August 23, 2007, 11:10:22 AM #25
cactus

If you look at the source for every Cactus game, there's this line

#include debris.engine

You are so biased for debris  Grin

That I am, but exploding things usually don't evaporate. Debris is as integral a part as anything else (fire for instance, wether abstract or realistic) when it comes to explosions.
Read August 23, 2007, 02:45:33 PM #26
kthorjensen

It's giving me an "archive in unknown format or damaged" error when I try to extract it with WinRar. Any thoughts?
Read August 23, 2007, 03:15:55 PM #27
the2bears

I use 7zip for everything, works fine.  Especially on Japanese .lzh files.

Bill

Read August 24, 2007, 05:49:31 AM #28
Adigun A. Polack

Adigun: thanks for making the videos! Unfortunately this Internet cafe blocks Youtube so I can't watch them yet, but I'll see if I can get them some other time. If it's possible to no-miss level 1 hard using only the sword I can tell I'm going to have to make it more difficult somehow Smiley. Probably level 2 will have enemies which actively dodge.

You are quite welcome, my awesomely good man!!!  Just keep up the excellently wonderful job you are doing, got that!?  grin2=b

(And I am sure glad I have pieced the couple of videos indeed for you all to enjoy, by the way!!  cool1 ! )

Read August 25, 2007, 12:43:55 AM #29
Observer

Just tried the demo, and my goodness it was great fun!

The entire experience could be summed up by the phrase "diabolical attention to detail."  Like water torture, designed to make you irretrievably mad by incremental degrees.

I like the imprecision of the weapons and the firing delay. That and the way that the pissy little enemies swarm the pink labial enemies, so that they absorb the punch of your power weapon.

Likewise, the dull colour of the ship being overpowered by the scintillating globules of death. Very distracting, and very cool. Combined with the fire source continually moving with respect to your ship means that it is very difficult to enter the "shmup zone" - you know, using peripheral vision to guide the ship's movement instead of fixating on it. Most of the time I had no idea where my ship was, and my fate was the whim of Xom.

As with most of Linley's games, static imagery can't capture the majesty of the gaming experience. Bugger the screenshots, play the damn game!

I look forward to the readme file, detailing the story of 'Garden..' If the other games are any indication, the story will be worth the price of admission alone.

The melee weapon, the aurally epileptic music, the opening selection screen: all gold!

I started writing this, then got distracted and played it for about half an hour. Oops!

Jopa!
Read August 27, 2007, 06:58:40 AM #30
Linley

It's giving me an "archive in unknown format or damaged" error when I try to extract it with WinRar. Any thoughts?

I zipped it with 7zip (which seems standard) and the archive seems to be working for most people. Have you tried downloading it again?

Like water torture, designed to make you irretrievably mad by incremental degrees.

That's the plan, yes. The final version will (hopefully) have four stages so there will be plenty of time for those increments to add up to complete insanity.

On debris: I agree that debris can look good, but evaporation is exactly the look I'm going for in stage 1. Stages 2 and 3 will have some debris (although maybe not cactus-like levels of debris).

I've watched those videos now... sometimes it's easy to forget how bad I am at these kinds of games and make 'hard' mode hard for me rather than hard for someone who is much better at shooting things than I am. Hard mode is now a lot harder (and yeah, the sword is going to be a bit blunter in the next version). Also, now you can fire while waiting for one of your weapons to reload, although reload energy (for want of a better technical term) is split between all reloading weapons.

There'll be at least one more demo before the end date, probably in a couple of weeks.

Read September 14, 2007, 03:16:59 AM #31
Linley

A couple more screenshots.

The stage one boss:

And stage two:

If you look closely at that picture you can see the debris.

Updated demo coming soon!
Read September 14, 2007, 04:47:57 AM #32
the2bears

This is really looking great.  Love your backgrounds.

Bill

Read September 14, 2007, 11:47:11 PM #33
Pixel_Outlaw

I guess another artsy fartsy comment from me.Smiley

The colors are nice desaturated greens and blues. Looks like all the game elements are from the same artist which is a good thing in tying it together visually.

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read September 15, 2007, 02:52:07 PM #34
Shoot-em-upper

They do all come from the same artist.  Linley did the entire game(at least I'm pretty sure).

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 19, 2007, 06:58:15 AM #35
Linley

Okay, it's time for another demo... hopefully the last one before the final competition version. It's attached to this post. Differences from the previous demo:

- There are now 3 stages, each with completely different graphics and sound;
- Analogue joystick and gamepad support;
- You can now fire any of your weapons while the others are recharging, but the recharging energy is split between them (and the beam and blade weapons operate at reduced power);
- You can choose more than one of some weapons;
- There is an init.txt file. Edit it (in notepad) for options like windowed/fullscreen, joystick button settings, analogue sensitivity etc.

I'd appreciate any comments, especially on the following things:
- Weapon balance - are any combinations really overpowered? Are any weapons indispensable/useless?
- Any problems running on anyone's computer - is it possible for the judges to test it to make sure it works on their systems?
- Graphics, sound, controls, enemies etc. Anything about it at all, really.

Known issues:
- The menu screen sometimes displays in a slightly odd palette (easily fixed, I just didn't have time to do it this morning).  It's also bland but that will change when I get around to it;
- The 'calibrate joystick' option does nothing for me. Maybe Allegro's calibration routines don't think the cruddy joystick I have needs calibration, or something like that. If anyone can get this to work please let me know;
- Stage 3 is possibly a bit long, and the background is a bit dull. To be worked on;
- The 8-bit banners unfortunately don't all use web palette, so they have to be downsampled to be able to appear on screen all at once. I just pasted them all into the splash screen for the last competition and let them use its palette, which looks okay;
- I haven't enforced the 5-second wait yet.

Still to come:
- Stage 4 (hopefully);
- lots of fun with palette shifting!

Enjoy!
Read September 19, 2007, 08:28:53 AM #36
brog

Re: Garden of Coloured Lights - New demo 19/9

If I take three copies of the same weapon and fire them all at once I should be able to fire three times as many bullets.
More bullets, anyway.
I can fire three at once, which I guess is kind of cool.  But then it takes three times as long to recharge.
My suggestion, which you are of course welcome to ignore, is to make the weapons charge independently.  I think this is a case where something seems like a bad idea to the developer, because it will ruin the carefully balanced ..balance, but would make it more fun for the players.
edit: don't completely decouple them, but have them faster than they are now.  like, for each additional weapon recharging, 25% less charge is added per time step.

Also, I want three swords!  But you should definitely ignore this one.

edit: finally made it to level 2, and it's visually confusing: the fire/explosions are the same shape as enemy bullets and a brighter colour.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 12:20:33 AM by brog »

Read September 19, 2007, 08:41:32 PM #37
Tim

The game works perfectly here. Banners looked fine, though you need motorherp to confirm this. (you can PM him in case he misses this thread)
Read September 20, 2007, 03:17:22 AM #38
Olick

I have played both of the demos, and I must say the second one is better. One disappointment's for me was that different weapons did not change the shape of your options. However I did like how the first weapon was attached to your ship.

Another disappointingly thing, is that if I pick three of the rapid-fire inaccurate ones, I rip through the popcorn enemies, but I can't even kill the pink enemies that shoot the round spreads of shots. I can do it if I pick two rapid fire ones and one precise shot.
Regarding that, on one hand I like it that slower weapons (which are harder to use, especially in tandem) deal more damage/second, but I dislike the fact that the fast weapon has no total killability. This does lead to me wanting to pick a weak weapon for spam shooters, and a nice, strong one for the stronger enemies, making me choose a balanced set instead of an unbalanced one.
Read September 20, 2007, 03:36:49 AM #39
monoRAIL

My gamepad didn't seem to work - I have an Xbox controller with USB adapter using the XBCD drivers, it didn't respond in the menu at all and the calibrate joystick didn't seem to do anything either. However, it worked fine with joy2key.

The game looks and sounds great, and the new improvements to the reloading system are good - it feels much more balanced being able to shoot right away, but having to wait longer. I still find that having your shots emit from a moving option makes the game frustrating, because of the long load time on the big guns and the fact that the options are hard to distinguish, so I always choose the riot type as it gets the fixed gun and the sword. I would prefer it if when you held down shoot, the option you are firing with snapped to the front and stopped rotating - until you release shoot and then off it goes again. All those other options are cool looking but I have no desire to play them because of the frustrating aiming. Even if only 1 in 10 of my shots miss, I feel like I was cheated - the game made me miss rather than my lack of precision made me miss. Oh, and the rear-firing seeker one is very weak I think. It might be better if they lasted a little longer before they self-destruct.

I also think the player should collide with the enemies.

Keep it up, I'm looking forward to going for a highscore on the final version!
Read September 20, 2007, 03:37:22 AM #40
Pixel_Outlaw

I have to say I LOVE the simple and clean graphics.

However I feel that the rotating options make is hard to know where your ship is as many people use the shot stream as an indicator when playing danmaku games. Also as said before the enemies should be easier to kill off. It's only important that the enemy delivers their shots before being destroyed, they don't really have to stay around because of high HP.

Again just some thoughts. Great concept it's very clean and fresh.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 06:31:44 PM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read September 20, 2007, 04:22:36 AM #41
the2bears

However I feel that the rotating options make is hard to know where your ship is as many people use the shot stream as an indicator when playing danmak games.

I tend to agree with this... love the game, but there were a few times when I got the equivalent of shmup vertigo.  I thought my ship was moving, when in fact it was the rotating filament.

Great selection of weapons by the way Smiley

Bill

Read September 20, 2007, 05:27:03 AM #42
Adigun A. Polack

Acutally, Linley, I’d just keep the enemy-to-ship collisions TOTALLY out of there period, given how manic this game is in the first place, you know?  I mean, I truly enjoyed getting up-close and personal to the enemies and blowing the very hell out of them with impunity, which I ABSOLUTELY DO LOVE!!!  d=Grin=b  And also, I think some of the weapons could use a wee bit more balancing for the final compo version.  Plus if you can, could you please add a continue feature plus a limited amount of continues to use per new game (like three (3) continues, at the most!), hmm?

Other than that though, this is *really* shaping up to be a MOST EXCELLENT contest entry, my awesome man!!!  cool2 !!
Read September 20, 2007, 07:05:19 AM #43
Linley

Thanks everyone for the highly constructive criticism! I'll answer some of it below, but this will make a lot more sense if I explain some of the ideas behind the game:

- I'm trying to avoid letting the player enter the zone where they can focus on one part of the screen and follow everything else with peripheral vision. I demand full concentration! At all times! Excellent Bifurcation was an extreme example of this but things like the rotating options in GoCL are supposed to force the player to ration his or her attention between more than one thing at once. What can I say, I prefer optimisation to maximisation :)
- The weapon system is supposed to encourage the player to choose weapons with complementary functions. Because of the way the weapons level up through use, if there was one weapon which was good in all situations the player could just kill everything with that and forget the other two. This is why, for example, Vapour Orb does about three times as much damage per unit time as Sunshower - if they were comparable you could get away with using Sunshower for everything.

Now for the comments:

brog said: don't completely decouple them, but have them faster than they are now.  like, for each additional weapon recharging, 25% less charge is added per time step.

I'm considering adding a choice of ships. One will be like the ship is now, where when using one weapon it works at 100%, with two they are at 50% each and three are at 33% each. The others could be, say, 80%/65%/45% and 60%/60%/60%. Just a thought.

brog said: finally made it to level 2, and it's visually confusing: the fire/explosions are the same shape as enemy bullets and a brighter colour.

Noted, thanks.

monoRAIL said: My gamepad didn't seem to work - I have an Xbox controller with USB adapter using the XBCD drivers, it didn't respond in the menu at all and the calibrate joystick didn't seem to do anything either. However, it worked fine with joy2key.

I guess Allegro doesn't recognise those drivers. Oh well. I haven't implemented joystick control for the menu, though, because it doesn't really lend itself to analogue input and I don't have a gamepad with a digital pad to test digital input on.

Pixel_Outlaw said: Also as said before the enemies should be easier to kill off. It's only important that the enemy delivers their shots before being destroyed, they don't really have to stay around because of high HP.

Destroying enemies is supposed to be a challenge because of the way they level up the weapons.

Adigun A. Polack said: Plus if you can, could you please add a continue feature plus a limited amount of continues to use per new game (like three (3) continues, at the most!), hmm?

I'm not sure. Continues always seem to me to be an arcade game thing which is out of place in PC shooters. Instead GoCL sort of deals with this by giving lots of extra lives (each 2,000 points) which will come a bit faster when I get around to making the bosses give you points. Not sure how I let that one slip past my fine-toothed QA efforts.

Olick said: This does lead to me wanting to pick a weak weapon for spam shooters, and a nice, strong one for the stronger enemies, making me choose a balanced set instead of an unbalanced one.

Yep, that's the plan!

2bears said: there were a few times when I got the equivalent of shmup vertigo

Excellent! That's also part of the plan :)

monoRAIL said: Oh, and the rear-firing seeker one is very weak I think. It might be better if they lasted a little longer before they self-destruct.

Hm, maybe the worms are a bit weak at the beginning. They come into their own in stage 2, though.

Tim W. said: The game works perfectly here. Banners looked fine, though you need motorherp to confirm this. (you can PM him in case he misses this thread)

Thanks, will do.

Got to run... bus to catch.
Read September 20, 2007, 10:26:15 AM #44
battlegorge

Nice game and very unique!
Music and sounds are cool.
I like the graphics, only the backgrounds could be a bit darker for better contrast.
I only reached level 2 Wink. The leveling up could be a bit faster.
I mostly used weapons 1,2,4 and 6. Weapon 5,8 and the missiles are maybe a bit too weak.

Try reducing xspeed and yspeed to 0.7 when you fly diagonally.
I think this makes the ship movement more precise!

And there is a problem with the framerate.
All movements and the scrolling look a bit jumpy.

Read September 20, 2007, 06:16:09 PM #45
Shoot-em-upper

I have a widescreen monitor, so everything on the sponsor screen was stretched out.  Then, after it faded, the screen went blank.  But when I hit Z, I got to the weapon selection thing; except I could only see the text.  I didn't bother to continue.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 21, 2007, 07:52:06 AM #46
motorherp

Sorry about the banners, it didn't occur to me to put them all on the same image when down sampling so they'd share the same pallete.  I have no issue with what you've done with the banners since its what I should have done in the first place.

Read September 26, 2007, 07:22:22 PM #47
cactus

I played again to see the second level, and I must say I really liked it. I have a few gripes, though. The homing missiles seem to be absolutely useless with the short range they've got, and the bullets on the second level are a bit poorly shaped, as they blend in with the fire graphics from explosions and exhaust from the enemies' engines. The first level's bullets would fit better on the second level, as it'd be easier to pick out something with straight lines among all the circles. I also think the (lack of) transition between the levels was a bit of a let down. And finally, the evil buggers that kept flocking at the bottom of the screen were quite a pain. The screen was easily flooded with enemies and bullets because of their difficult positioning. In combination with the targetting laser ships, it got very frustrating.

Still, these are all very minor flaws, I'm just nitpicking. I love what you've got so far. The styles of the two levels might seem very similar judging from the screenshots, but seeing them in motion makes a big difference. You've made a little subtle change that applies to all the enemies visually, and makes the level fit excellently together, while still feeling fresh and different from each other. And I love the audio. I think that you'll have a great chance at getting a better rank in the competition than last year Wink
Read September 29, 2007, 06:35:35 AM #48
Linley

Re: Garden of Coloured Lights - Completed!

So I've just attached the provisional final version of Garden to the first post in this thread.

Most relevant changes:
- A heap of polish applied to various points in the user experience;
- Stage 4;
- Stage 2 is a bit easier (and the bullets now have a little halo thing around them);
- Difficulty levels have been renamed to be more accurate;
- Proper documentation;
- Slow weapons now stop recharging completely when you fire a fast weapon. The player still has as much firepower as before but now has much more control over the timing. Trust me, this makes it much nicer to play (and thanks to the people who pointed out how annoying the old systems were);
- The worms are a bit better;
- All sorts of crazy fun with palette-shifting. This is what 8-bit is good for!
- There's also source code, if anyone's interested in that.

I just remembered that I have to cycle home from the Internet cafe before it gets dark so I won't be able to write as much here as I wanted to - in particular I wanted to reply to the comments above. Oh well, I'll be back again tomorrow.
Read September 29, 2007, 05:23:30 PM #49
the2bears

Cool that you included the source.

Bill

Read September 30, 2007, 01:05:19 AM #50
brog

I just remembered that I have to cycle home from the Internet cafe before it gets dark so I won't be able to write as much here as I wanted to - in particular I wanted to reply to the comments above. Oh well, I'll be back again tomorrow.

But biking in the dark is pleasant!
Unless you don't have lights I guess.
Read September 30, 2007, 01:21:47 AM #51

I love what you've got so far. The styles of the two levels might seem very similar judging from the screenshots, but seeing them in motion makes a big difference.

Yep, cactus is right. Still, I find it a little difficult to play, I die very fast. The sounds are nice and the effects are good. Keep up the good work and get someone to draw your background. I will give you a 7/20, but with good graphics I might shoot up to 9 Smiley
Read September 30, 2007, 03:42:03 AM #52
the2bears

Yep, cactus is right. Still, I find it a little difficult to play, I die very fast. The sounds are nice and the effects are good. Keep up the good work and get someone to draw your background. I will give you a 7/20, but with good graphics I might shoot up to 9 Smiley

Hmmm... either edit the "20" or learn what a "shmup" is  Shocked Wink Cool

Bill

Read September 30, 2007, 03:55:33 AM #53
Linley

Well, there were some minor issues with version 1.0. All trivial but I decided to update it anyway. Version 1.01 is attached to the top post.

Now, to reply to some of the earlier comments.

battlegorge:
Try reducing xspeed and yspeed to 0.7 when you fly diagonally.
I think this makes the ship movement more precise!

And there is a problem with the framerate.
All movements and the scrolling look a bit jumpy.

The 0.7 thing has been in there from the start, so maybe you're noticing the lack of inertia? I'm not sure. If you're having trouble with the framerate, I suggest playing in fullscreen with vsync off. If that doesn't work I'm not sure what's going on, sorry (because this game is not very demanding on system resources).

shoot-em-upper wrote:
I have a widescreen monitor, so everything on the sponsor screen was stretched out.  Then, after it faded, the screen went blank.  But when I hit Z, I got to the weapon selection thing; except I could only see the text.  I didn't bother to continue.

Sounds like Allegro may have trouble with your video drivers. Did you try windowed mode? Edit init.txt to set it.

cactus wrote:
The homing missiles seem to be absolutely useless with the short range they've got, and the bullets on the second level are a bit poorly shaped, as they blend in with the fire graphics from explosions and exhaust from the enemies' engines.

The worms have been given a greater range, but they're not supposed to be a replacement for the first three weapons. A better use for them is to fire backwards when you're forced to the top or sides of the screen, and against the nasty enemies in level 2 which come from behind.

Stage 2 bullets have been made a lot more distinctive.

motorherp wrote:
I have no issue with what you've done with the banners since its what I should have done in the first place.

Great, thanks for that. One day I will move on and leave 8 bit behind. Maybe even to 16! But I like Allegro's paletted transparency mode so it's a difficult decision Smiley

But biking in the dark is pleasant!
Unless you don't have lights I guess.

Yeah, I need to get around to getting some lights. Maybe now that I have a lot more time on my hands...

Thanks everyone for the comments! I really appreciate it. Even though the final version is in I'd still like to hear what people think of it.
Read September 30, 2007, 07:06:50 AM #54
battlegorge

The 0.7 thing has been in there from the startshoot-em-upper wrote:
Hmm, maybe the ship was a bit too fast for me to notice.
The control in the new version is perfect.

I like all the changes!
At first i thought you made your game too easy but the second boss showed me its not. Wink

The framerate is still jumpy, but not much.
Its not slowdown, it looks like the fps jump over the limit every few frames.
Read September 30, 2007, 10:51:40 AM #55
monoRAIL

I love this game. I was playing it today instead of working on my own game!
Great work Linley.

Riot type FTW!
Read October 05, 2007, 01:12:53 AM #56
InfectedZero

Fricken Awesome game man.
Read October 10, 2007, 09:16:28 AM #57
Observer

With regard to the worms in vbeta2, I thought they were a little weak at first because I was used to vbeta1, where they were probably overpowered and it was possible to fly to the top of the screen and rely on them, only using the smoky cannon for the big bastards. After playing vbeta2 for quite a bit, I realised that I was being forced to use my other weapons much more. Something which became apparent which was very cool, was that I started developing combos to bring down some of the mid-strength enemies. I'd spray them once with the quick weapon, and then close in behind them for a broadside salvo of worms. I found my worms actually did level once I did this.

Going to download the complete version 1.01 and see how things are.
Read October 13, 2007, 05:08:37 AM #58
Observer

Well, the polish on 1.01 makes such a huge difference.

I love the special comment you get whenever your multiplier increases. I got distracted at least once in level two or three (probably in both, actually) trying to read what it says, and dying as a result.

Level two was frenetic; and the pulsating background of level three nearly induced an epileptic fit.

Tremendous fun.
Read October 18, 2007, 03:25:35 PM #59
battlegorge

Im in stage 3 now.
The enemies that cover the whole screen with bullets always get me Wink.
Can you please include the slow function for gamepad into the next version?
I suggest button 5,6,7 or 8.

And i think the 0.7 diagonal speed only works for keyboard.
Read October 23, 2007, 10:55:48 AM #60
Linley

And i think the 0.7 diagonal speed only works for keyboard.

Heh, you know what? I think I must have written the joystick code when I was mostly asleep, because you're right. Thanks for pointing it out!

I've just uploaded a new version (attached to the first post). It fixes this bug and also:

• adds a slow button to the joystick (currently it's button 4 for consistency, but just edit init.txt to change this)
  • makes the worms last a bit longer (okay, but this is the *last* upgrade worms are going to get, unless someone writes a super worm mod)
  • makes enduring filament do a bit more damage
  • removes the extra armour bosses got in higher difficulty levels (just the general nastiness is enough, I think)
  • fixes the third boss, which was spawning too many little friends on Normal level.

So nothing earth-shattering, but there you go.

I've also added to main.c some optional code which was kindly supplied by Thomas Harte on the allegro.cc forums. It's for systems (such as Unixes, some setups of OSX and certain configurations of Windows Vista, and maybe others) which forbid applications writing to their own directories by default as a security measure. So if you find that high scores and key settings are not being saved, look in init_at_startup() in main.c and read the instructions there.

It's not active in the Windows binary as I haven't tested it and nobody's reported any problems yet.

Have fun!
Read November 06, 2007, 04:00:36 AM #61
jakman4242

WOW, just WOW. This is the best - if not the best - shmup i've ever played. I simply loved the theme. I mean "Garden of Colored Lights" must be one of the only things that haven't been though of 100 times over in shmup development. I really liked how the options rotated around you, instead of the usual snake train movement.

The game has no glitches(to my experience), and it ran completely smooth.

I'm curious though, how you could do the poly-merging like you did in your game in GM. I might  research the subject a little. But i have no idea how. Although, those might have just been sprites in your game, which i don't doubt at all.(not as an accusation though.) Did you make a system for the poly-merging blast effects? Or use sprites? I'm curious.

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
Or read my new blog!~ (which I do update)
My blog.
Read November 06, 2007, 10:44:10 PM #62
serprex

The sounds are nice and calming, and the graphics are in perfect match
As for the Gplay, I'm getting use to it by having all slots on 1 weapon. I suppose I should branch out and get use to the ones which are better suited for use with others
Anyways, this work of art is quite inspiring
(Though the bars at the top left are a bit too well held off, so to make checking a hassle)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:59:50 PM by serprex »

Read November 06, 2007, 11:48:56 PM #63
jakman4242

I've been playing a bit more, and i've found a great combo of weapons:
solar bite
vapour orb
worms or terror

Those there are a great triple. For small enemies, and cluttered situations, use the solar bite. When forced to the top of the screen, use worms. And, when facing a big enemy. I like to use a small combo i made. Vapour orb, worms from behind if possibly, back to front, repeat until dead. This game's strategy needed is immense. I JUST beat the stage 1 boss on normal, ugh. The Stage 2 enemies are hard and i died in about a minute.

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
My blog.
Read November 07, 2007, 12:05:25 AM #64
Shoot-em-upper

I've been playing a bit more, and i've found a great combo of weapons:
solar bite
vapour orb
worms or terror

Those there are a great triple. For small enemies, and cluttered situations, use the solar bite. When forced to the top of the screen, use worms. And, when facing a big enemy. I like to use a small combo i made. Vapour orb, worms from behind if possibly, back to front, repeat until dead.

I like to use the Tooth of Xom(who's Xom, anyway?), Sunstorm, and the Vapor Orb.  Basically I just spin the tooth and weave around if it's just a swarm of one-hit kills, use the Sunstorm if there are stronger enemies whose shots I want to dodge, and I use the Vapor Orb on bosses and minibosses.  I usually try to stay near the bottom if I can.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 01:00:08 AM by Shoot-em-upper »

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read November 07, 2007, 12:15:33 AM #65
the2bears

The more I play this the more it becomes my favourite of this contest  Grin 

Bill

Read November 07, 2007, 01:26:45 AM #66
brog

I like to use the Tooth of Xom(who's Xom, anyway?)

The god of chaos from Linley's roguelike.
Read November 07, 2007, 03:02:23 AM #67
Shoot-em-upper

I like to use the Tooth of Xom(who's Xom, anyway?)

That game looks quite interesting.  I really must play it.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read November 07, 2007, 05:01:16 AM #68
Linley

I'm curious though, how you could do the poly-merging like you did in your game in GM. I might  research the subject a little. But i have no idea how. Although, those might have just been sprites in your game, which i don't doubt at all.(not as an accusation though.) Did you make a system for the poly-merging blast effects? Or use sprites? I'm curious.

Hm, I don't know anything about GM so I'm not sure whether you could get the same result. I did it by hacking Allegro's 256-colour transparency thing a bit. Normally the transparency functions give you a blend of the base colour and the transparent colour, but Garden does it like this: there are 12 base colours, then for each of the transparent colours (yellow bullet border, yellow inside of bullet, blue border etc) there is a set of 12 base colours with the transparency applied. The transparent colours are sorted into a hierarchy with higher colours alway overwriting lower (and never being overwritten) and bullet insides overwriting bullet borders - this requires a customised colour map, which is easy for Allegro. When two polygons of the same colour merge the inner part overwrites the outer part so it looks like just one polygon with a continuous border. The transparent graphics in Garden are a mixture of primitives and sprites. Hope that made sense.

If you can manipulate the way transparent colours are drawn in GM you should be able to do this as well. Probably needs to be in 8-bit colour, though.

Certainly is! I was wondering if anyone here had heard of Crawl :) By the way, the new and improved Crawl (including a just-announced update of the graphical version which I must download to look at) is here. I haven't worked on it for years, though.
Read November 07, 2007, 10:04:28 AM #69
brog

Certainly is! I was wondering if anyone here had heard of Crawl Smiley By the way, the new and improved Crawl (including a just-announced update of the graphical version which I must download to look at) is here. I haven't worked on it for years, though.

That's how I came across this forum, in fact.  Crawl -> Excellent Bifurcation -> SHMUP-DEV.
Read November 07, 2007, 08:29:02 PM #70
serprex

@jakman=You'd have to keep your graphics simple and draw all the color parts with primitives in that order.I've done it with circles,draw all the borders and then draw all the insides
Read November 07, 2007, 09:18:58 PM #71
jakman4242

Hm, I don't know anything about GM so I'm not sure whether you could get the same result. I did it by hacking Allegro's 256-colour transparency thing a bit. Normally the transparency functions give you a blend of the base colour and the transparent colour, but Garden does it like this: there are 12 base colours, then for each of the transparent colours (yellow bullet border, yellow inside of bullet, blue border etc) there is a set of 12 base colours with the transparency applied. The transparent colours are sorted into a hierarchy with higher colours alway overwriting lower (and never being overwritten) and bullet insides overwriting bullet borders - this requires a customised colour map, which is easy for Allegro. When two polygons of the same colour merge the inner part overwrites the outer part so it looks like just one polygon with a continuous border. The transparent graphics in Garden are a mixture of primitives and sprites. Hope that made sense.

If you can manipulate the way transparent colours are drawn in GM you should be able to do this as well. Probably needs to be in 8-bit colour, though.

Certainly is! I was wondering if anyone here had heard of Crawl Smiley By the way, the new and improved Crawl (including a just-announced update of the graphical version which I must download to look at) is here. I haven't worked on it for years, though.

I'm sorry, but that almost didn't make sense.(i made sense of some of it) In GM i'm not sure if you can do that. I know you could draw lines or something over the intersecting borders in gm to achieve the effect you did, but i have no idea how to do that.(i'm horrible at machine based calculations and tools, i'm more better at thorough design integration)

Wow, i've been playing a bit more. And i got almost a level 7 sword(6 bars, exp bar 3/4 full) at the beginning of the second level i died. But WOW, try going through entire game with using JUST a sword. Hehe, that was so awesome, try it!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 03:27:17 AM by jakman4242 »

My blog.
Read November 08, 2007, 05:02:42 AM #72
Linley

Yeah, sorry if that was kind of confusing but it's a little difficult to explain. serprex's explanation of writing the images in layers is probably the way to do it - it might be slower depending on how many layers you use but it would also be more flexible in some ways (and would work in higher colour modes).

Cactus seems to have done something like what you're looking for in the smoke clouds in Minubeat, which is done in Gamemaker.
Read November 08, 2007, 07:15:10 PM #73
Kairos

We were having this discussion elsewhere as well. Make a sprite with the outline and fill as separate frames. One object that draws the outline of the shape at a depth lower than the object that draws the fill. This way the fill layers will look like they merge and the outlines would be at the bottom, and the intersections would be unseen due to the fill layer.

Btw linley, remember to claim your prizes if you haven't already!

Hey Linley, still waiting to hear from you.  Get in touch as soon as you can so I can get the ball rolling on getting the prizes for everyone.
Read November 08, 2007, 10:26:07 PM #74
jakman4242

We were having this discussion elsewhere as well. Make a sprite with the outline and fill as separate frames. One object that draws the outline of the shape at a depth lower than the object that draws the fill. This way the fill layers will look like they merge and the outlines would be at the bottom, and the intersections would be unseen due to the fill layer.

Btw linley, remember to claim your prizes if you haven't already!

Hey Linley, still waiting to hear from you.  Get in touch as soon as you can so I can get the ball rolling on getting the prizes for everyone.

Wow, i feel like a complete idiot. I NEVER thought of it like that. I'm really used to drawing the outlines above, i completely forgot that. Thanks Kairos.

My blog.
Read November 09, 2007, 10:25:41 AM #75
9_6

How about a level selection if you have 4 levels that last easily 10 minutes and you die fast?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 03:37:54 PM by 9_6 »
Read November 09, 2007, 02:01:39 PM #76
Shoot-em-upper

Or at least have a save function.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read November 11, 2007, 01:14:19 AM #77
Linley

There is a level selection mode, although it's hidden in the source so I'm not surprised nobody's found it. Add the line:
Tourist=2
to the [Misc] section of init.txt, where 2 is the stage (2-4) you want to go to, and you can play that stage as much as you want (although only that stage). Weapons in Tourist mode are probably not as strong as they would be if you'd gone through the previous stages, though, and of course you start with a 0% multiplier.

Why didn't I mention this earlier? Because I derive enjoyment from the suffering of others.

(by the way I've contacted Motorherp; sorry about the delay)
Read November 11, 2007, 08:35:58 PM #78
Shoot-em-upper

Ah-har.  We meant in the game.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read November 12, 2007, 11:59:34 PM #79
serprex

I used that Start button shortcut key while it was loading or something and my menu looked all 256color cool like
Now it seems my WMP music icons have been permafried into that color state
Personally, I find it looks stylish. But I figure you might want to know so to warn others who might not find it as...amusing
Read November 13, 2007, 05:08:16 AM #80
Linley

That's really weird. Sounds like a bug in Allegro (or, more likely, a bug in Windows which Allegro trips over). Sorry about your icons! I'll see if I can reproduce this on my computer at home and if I can I'll report it on www.allegro.cc. Thanks for letting me know.

You don't need to edit the source or recompile or anything to use Tourist mode, you just need to add a line to the init.txt file.
Read November 13, 2007, 02:08:46 PM #81
Shoot-em-upper

You don't need to edit the source or recompile or anything to use Tourist mode, you just need to add a line to the init.txt file.

I meant in the menu.  You can't edit the .txt file from the game itself.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read November 13, 2007, 08:55:27 PM #82
brog

I meant in the menu.  You can't edit the .txt file from the game itself.

Dude, get over it.  Editing a text file is not so hard.  It is essentially a cheat code, after all.
Read March 02, 2009, 07:02:06 AM #83
ortoslon

I've recorded a GoCL playthrough on punishment. YouTube playlist.
Also, there is a newer version here. GoCL v1.0.6 uses less CPU, but has a bug that doesn't let the player quit the game (you can kill it using Task Manager on WinXP).
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:18:23 AM by ortoslon »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 18 queries.