Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Core [Updated 30/09/07] - FINAL DEMO

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read July 24, 2007, 10:08:57 AM #0
Five Damned Dollarz

Core [Updated 30/09/07] - FINAL DEMO

Name: Core
Genre: Horizontal Scroller - 5-6 levels (each with boss)
Team:
Five Damned Dollarz - Programmer
Biggerfish - Spriter
Apsterling[No time anymore Sad] - Musician
Gameplay:
Redone, working on writing it up for public viewing

FINAL Demo + Text [30/09/07]
Ok, DEMO 3! THE FINAL DEMO BEFORE THE COMPETITION END!
Changes include:
- A more informative HUD
- AN INSANE BOSS EXPLOSION! [Which MAY bring some of the REALLY low end systems to their knees, but it works ok for me, albeit a fair bit of lag Tongue]
- Redone player bullets
- No need to select Gamepad or Keyboard due to me removing the function that I put that in for Tongue
-A tiny glimpse of mountain instead of instant back to menu [no time to do Level 2, sorry guys Sad]
- And a few other changes we felt were needed

Controls:
Keyboard:
Arrows - Movement
Z - Shoot
X - Megabomb

Gamepad:
Directional Pad - Movement
Button 2 - Shoot
Button 3 - Megabomb

I probably should have added a way to choose your own controls... A bit late now though Tongue Sorry

Demo + Text [24/09/07]
- Vista compatible [I hope, at least it still runs on XP Tongue]
- Red Core is unlocked! Have fun with the Robot Boss Smiley
- Gamepad/Joystick support:
Gamepad Controls:
Analogue Stick (Left)/Directional Pad - Movement
Button 1 - Press; Rotate options 1 spot || Hold; start/stop options spinning
Button 2 - Shoot
Button 3 - Megabomb

Demo 2 download

Text [24/09/07]
We should be releasing a new demo sometime today or tomorrow with the Red Cores boss done (don't be too disappointed with the way it plays out, I don't wanna waste time doing that level over the next one Tongue)
And yes, it will be Vista patched Angry

Text + Image [22/09/07]
I've almost finished the Urban boss [on the Red Cores route,which I locked you guys out of in the previous demo Tongue] and yes I know this isn't much of a progress report but I've been really sick for the last 4 days now and to be honest, I sorta lost interest in Core for a little while too... However I'm back and interested again and I'll give you a picture of the Red Core's Boss:

DEMO + Text [1/09/07]
Demo download
Controls:
Arrows = Move
Z = Shoot
X = Press; Rotate options 1 spot || Hold; start/stop options spinning
C = Mega bomb

Text [29/8/07]
We hope to have an official demo out in 2 days if not before, although don't be disappointed if we don't get it out on time because we DO want to balance everything properly and make sure it's all visible, etc.

Image [26/8/07]

Text [18/8/07]
Upgraded a lot of the visual effects, finished the boss warning sign, working on explosions, etc. Having a lot of fun Smiley

Text [16/08/07]
Apsterling has churned out 3 pieces of music in 1-2 days, I'm impressed at this, I must say, and they are all of great quality and will be used (except maybe the title theme which will need to be looped but otherwise awesome Smiley) I've converted them from MP3 to OGG and am using the SuperSoundSystem DLL to play them ingame Smiley So, over the next few days I hope to be getting more music form Apsterling.
Biggerfish is also working hard on the boss warning sign (Memo; ask Apsterling for a warning sound to play...) and afterwards will be fixing the explosions/smoke/enemies/etc.
And I am hard at work coding a whole many things like levels, music system, level changes, score system, etc. all the boring stuff that will make the game a whole massively fun thing to play Smiley
Now, I have a history of dropping almost all projects before completion but as I have paused EVERY other project I have at the moment this is my only game development priority so I'll definately drive this to the line, or as far as I can get, demo when most of the in-progress sprites are fixed

Movie [13/8/07]
Core Test Level (13/8/07)

Screenshot + Text [12/8/07]
Biggerfish and I have decided to change the gameplay a fair bit, now we have options spinning around the player instead of bumping together, the player cannot attack or defend at all unless he has an option (one extra always at level start)
I've started working on the waves, thanks to cactus for giving me a method of doing it Wink

Text [5/8/07]:
I have only JUST finished one of the 1st bosses (I say one because first and last levels are 'split' depending on the option you choose at the menu) however it's sprites are not yet finished, we are looking for a new musician as KibaYukihiro has been terribly hard to get a hold of (I'm assuming because he has recently discovered WoW [Damn! Another lost to that game!]), so if you are interested in the job please contact me via pm or email and I'll get back to you Cheesy

Screenshot [31/7/07]:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 09:02:06 AM by Five Damned Dollarz »
Read July 24, 2007, 06:46:42 PM #1
Shoot-em-upper

Re: Core

Aww, Kakujikken was really cool.  Core sounds neat, though(I saw someone else in a different thread talking about controlling the option rather than the ship, too; I think that it was the Q&A thread).

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 24, 2007, 08:43:19 PM #2
Five Damned Dollarz

As said, Kakujikken was felt to be too big to complete in this comp and it WILL get finished at a more leisurely pace after the comp.
Thanks for the compliment on the Core idea and yes I think it was the Q+A forum...
Read July 25, 2007, 07:31:20 PM #3
Shoot-em-upper

Will your avatar sprite be in the game?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read July 25, 2007, 08:43:20 PM #4
Five Damned Dollarz

Yes, Biggerfish and I have already worked out how co-op would play out if we added it in, we will add it in only after the entire single player piece is complete
Read July 31, 2007, 01:30:42 AM #5
Five Damned Dollarz

Ok, Biggerfish and I have worked out the level themes for all levels in the game and have even decided to branch off and have different level themes for first and last levels depending which ship you choose, the waves will be the same but the bosses will be different!
Also, when we finish the game we'll be releasing a special challenge to all who wish to attempt it, it'll be worth it in the end, I promise Wink
Also to acheive the 'option' theme we have decided the player will ACTUALLY be the CORE but when the core gains a powerup a player (of your choosing) is created and control will be given to the player ship you chose, if there is a problem with this please, tell us now before we go too far into this game Smiley
Thanks
Read August 01, 2007, 08:47:56 PM #6
Shoot-em-upper

So, you're saying that you decide beforehand which ship you control when the option or core gets a powerup?  You start out playing as the core, but when you get a powerup, you switch to the option?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 01, 2007, 08:57:17 PM #7
Five Damned Dollarz

You choose the 'option' but it doesn't come into effect until the 'core [player]' gets a powerup, when it does the 'option' you picked at the menu will fly onscreen and you'll control it instead.
Read August 02, 2007, 02:55:22 PM #8
Shoot-em-upper

Ah.  Nice graphics.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 05, 2007, 04:24:03 AM #9
Five Damned Dollarz

Re: Core <Looking for Musician>

Thanks, shmupper.

Update [5/8/07]:
I have only JUST finished one of the 1st bosses (I say one because first and last levels are 'split' depending on the option you choose at the menu) however it's sprites are not yet finished, we are looking for a new musician as KibaYukihiro has been terribly hard to get a hold of (I'm assuming because he has recently discovered WoW [Damn! Another lost to that game!]), so if you are interested in the job please contact me via pm or email and I'll get back to you Cheesy
Read August 11, 2007, 11:56:38 PM #10
Five Damned Dollarz

Update [12/9/07]:
Biggerfish and I have decided to change the gameplay a fair bit, now we have options spinning around the player instead of bumping together, the player cannot attack or defend at all unless he has an option (one extra always at level start)
I've started working on the waves, thanks to cactus for giving me a method of doing it Wink
And here's an image:
Read August 12, 2007, 01:59:57 AM #11
Slick

Like the graphics, that player craft reminds me of terminal velocity if anyones played it Wink Good Luck
Read August 12, 2007, 06:06:21 AM #12
kemical

Re: Core [Updated 12/08/07]

I'm really digging your color scheme / saturation levels.. looking really good.
Read August 12, 2007, 11:18:43 AM #13
Five Damned Dollarz

Re: Core [Updated 12/08/07]

Thanks a lot guys, compliments help us work harder Wink
Demo soon with a bit of luck Smiley
Read August 16, 2007, 05:09:31 AM #14
Five Damned Dollarz

Re: Core [Updated 13/08/07]

I'm double posting, so sue me Tongue
Anyways:

UPDATE [16/08/07]
Apsterling has churned out 3 pieces of music in 1-2 days, I'm impressed at this, I must say, and they are all of great quality and will be used (except maybe the title theme which will need to be looped but otherwise awesome Smiley) I've converted them from MP3 to OGG and am using the SuperSoundSystem DLL to play them ingame Smiley So, over the next few days I hope to be getting more music form Apsterling.
Biggerfish is also working hard on the boss warning sign (Memo; ask Apsterling for a warning sound to play...) and afterwards will be fixing the explosions/smoke/enemies/etc.
And I am hard at work coding a whole many things like levels, music system, level changes, score system, etc. all the boring stuff that will make the game a whole massively fun thing to play Smiley
Now, I have a history of dropping almost all projects before completion but as I have paused EVERY other project I have at the moment this is my only game development priority so I'll definately drive this to the line, or as far as I can get, demo when most of the in-progress sprites are fixed
Read August 18, 2007, 10:53:07 AM #15
cactus

Re: Core [Updated 18/08/07]

I got to play a secret demo of this, and while quite rough on the edges, it's actually looking pretty good. I kinda love parts of the roughness of the game, though, it gives the game a lot of charm. The exploding warning sign made me smile a lot, and the explosions overall just seemed off in a way that really made me like 'em. This coupled with the music was a great combinations. With the perfect sound effects it could be awesome grin2

As for suggestions; the game has some weird bullets. They look like fireballs, but aren't animated, and they seem to be dark compared to the rest of the graphics Huh?

The boss threw too many attacks at once. The one that shoots out above the player and explodes was particularly annoying. Way too hard for a first boss.

The enemies seemed to move very fast and their (very large) bullets even faster. Made the game feel cramped together in a screen that was way too small.

Would've liked to seen more animations and unnecessary effects in general.
Read August 18, 2007, 11:12:58 AM #16
Five Damned Dollarz

Re: Core [Updated 18/08/07]

I got to play a secret demo of this, and while quite rough on the edges, it's actually looking pretty good. I kinda love parts of the roughness of the game, though, it gives the game a lot of charm.
Thanks Cheesy
The exploding warning sign made me smile a lot...
Good, that's what we wanted, we did sorta figure that a boss that wants to kill you would destroy anything so... we figure we'd make it look like he'd destroy the warning sign on approach Wink
... and the explosions overall just seemed off in a way that really made me like 'em.
So we shouldn't make them better? Tongue
This coupled with the music was a great combinations. With the perfect sound effects it could be awesome grin2
Well, we aim to do this, hopefully Apsterling can pull off the SFX with no problems...
As for suggestions; the game has some weird bullets. They look like fireballs, but aren't animated, and they seem to be dark compared to the rest of the graphics Huh?
Well, I'll talk to Biggerfish about this one...
The boss threw too many attacks at once. The one that shoots out above the player and explodes was particularly annoying. Way too hard for a first boss.
Addressed and fixed, personally I find it too easy now shocked2
The enemies seemed to move very fast and their (very large) bullets even faster. Made the game feel cramped together in a screen that was way too small.
The enemies move fast to keep the game hectic, I like it this way Tongue Although their bullets are just the player's bullets and will be changed later Smiley
Would've liked to seen more animations and unnecessary effects in general.
There is still time Wink
Read August 29, 2007, 06:38:07 AM #17
Slick

Re: Core [Updated 26/08/07]

FDD just gave me a sneak peak at what core has to offer, watch out fellow competitors! Grin

The gameplay was very fun and fast paced and everything seemed to be in correct sync with each other. Not too fast here or slow there. The music was very very sweet, suited the levels nicely. Sprites look awsome :p Somehow unlike many other shmups, I felt my childhood while playing this. Thats important to me.

As for a suggestion... You might wanna improve the text a bit, that half anti-alised arial type font doesn't go well the pixels.

Otherwise, great job, can't wait till the final!
Read September 01, 2007, 04:06:33 AM #18
Five Damned Dollarz

Re: Core [Updated 29/08/07]

Well, unfortunately we've overshot our demo deadline by a day, but there is still time for it... We're very sorry about this but Biggerfish and I have lost contact temporarily [I hope] for a little while, I'm unsure why he can't get on the internet but I'm hoping he can soon
Read September 01, 2007, 04:11:33 AM #19
the2bears

[Note: How I would love to get Core's team and the game at least ONE article on the2bears... Maybe after Friday? Tongue]

Sorry I missed posting the video, and now it seems appropriate to wait for the demo.  I get distracted easily with work these days and miss out on things, then I forget what's been updated etc.

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read September 01, 2007, 04:14:10 AM #20
Five Damned Dollarz

Sorry I missed posting the video, and now it seems appropriate to wait for the demo.  I get distracted easily with work these days and miss out on things, then I forget what's been updated etc.
Yes, with this comp and so many awesome entries it would be hard to keep track of everything Smiley but the demo MAY take a bit longer because of the reason stated above unless Biggerfish miraculously has sprited everything then logs onto MSN today Tongue
Read September 01, 2007, 02:16:03 PM #21
Five Damned Dollarz

Not long after I posted that Biggerfish DID log on and he had a lot of sprites done Tongue
However, here's a demo!!!

Also, you must realize that a lot of stuff in this game is still not finished, for example we intend to add some unnecessary graphical effects and animate the gun/s on the boss, allow the player to access the NV6200 and many other things, please be patient Smiley

Controls:
Arrows = Move
Z = Shoot
X = Press; Rotate options 1 spot || Hold; start/stop options spinning
C = Mega bomb
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 02:47:03 PM by Five Damned Dollarz »
Read September 01, 2007, 11:43:47 PM #22
brog

Re: Core [Updated 1/09/07] - !! DEMO OUT NOW !!

Sound is good, and I really like the sprites.
I'm with the2bears that having a ship as the options and an option as the ship is disorientation.  The ship is what you need to be able to locate without thinking, so having it orbited by things bigger, brighter and more solid doesn't help.
I'd like to see more effects on the megabomb than just flashing the screen, but I guess that comes under the unnecessary graphical effects you have yet to add.

The only other problem is that X is not intuitive to use.  It doesn't feel responsive, it's hard to work out what it does without reading the instructions, and it doesn't make sense to have the fixed points of the options to be only in front of and behind you.   I want to be able to have one above me and one below me, for example.  Also, there's no fast way to read the current state of your options (whether they are rotating constantly or if they will stop once they're in position), which means it's not clear how long you have to hold it down for for them to change state.  You have to keep your eye on them until they stop moving or don't, distracting you from the action.
What I would do is either 1) the options rotate when the key is held, and stop immediately when it is released or 2) pressing the key toggles between rotating and not rotating - when you press it and they are moving, they stop immediately, wherever they are.
Either of these would give more control to the player and make it a lot easier to figure out how it works and to know what's going on.

Sorry about this post being mostly criticism; hopefully it's constructive.  The game is shaping up nicely.  I like some of the little effects, like the competition banner screen exploding, the boss warning screen with the spinning light, the cannons on the tank that follow the player.
Read September 01, 2007, 11:54:05 PM #23
Five Damned Dollarz

Thanks for the comments, Brog... Now I can understand that you may be distracted by the options, but we do try to aim slightly different then regular shmups Wink
Well, what would you suggest for the megabomb's extra effects?
I'll address the problem with the X key, also suggestion number 2 for it would not work, because if the options are stopped you press the key (without holding it) and they'll rotate 1 place
Thanks for the constructive post, though Smiley
In future we'll take into consideration many of the things you noted
Read September 02, 2007, 05:24:32 AM #24
brog

Well, what would you suggest for the megabomb's extra effects?

Something like the effect on startup maybe.  When the banner screen explodes.
The explosions on the boss warning screen and the boss are cool too.

I'll address the problem with the X key, also suggestion number 2 for it would not work, because if the options are stopped you press the key (without holding it) and they'll rotate 1 place

I meant instead of the current scheme, not as well.  I don't really like the set positions that they occupy.  I expect this stops being important once there are more than two options though.
Read September 21, 2007, 11:50:46 PM #25
Five Damned Dollarz

I've been delaying progress a bit lately... And I'm REALLY sick at the moment too... But here:

Update [22/09/07]
I've almost finished the Urban boss [on the Red Cores route, which I locked you guys out of in the previous demo Tongue] and yes I know this isn't much of a progress report but I've been really sick for the last 4 days now and to be honest, I sorta lost interest in Core for a little while too... However I'm back and interested again and I'll give you a picture of the Red Core's Boss:
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:54:19 PM by Five Damned Dollarz »
Read September 22, 2007, 01:25:51 PM #26
Matt McFarland

Re: Core [Updated 22/09/07] - !! DEMO OUT NOW !!

Did you guys run Mark Overmars' Vista update for GM?   Huh?
I double click on the executable and nothing happens  Angry

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read September 23, 2007, 12:57:53 AM #27
Five Damned Dollarz

No, we haven't done that yet... But we will Tongue However much I dislike GM7 Angry
Read September 23, 2007, 08:57:26 AM #28
E-Magination

There's a program that makes GM6 games Vista compatible. And GM7 is actually pretty good, I prefer it over GM6. (Ctrl+A in the sprite editor, BEST FEATURE EVER)
Read September 23, 2007, 05:48:22 PM #29
Shoot-em-upper

I double click on the executable and nothing happens  Angry

Ditto. Cry

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 24, 2007, 12:25:31 AM #30
Five Damned Dollarz

We should be releasing a new demo sometime today or tomorrow with the Red Cores boss done (don't be too disappointed with the way it plays out, I don't wanna waste time doing that level over the next one Tongue)
And yes, it will be Vista patched Angry
Read September 24, 2007, 10:55:31 AM #31
Five Damned Dollarz

Ok, demo 2 is out [so, I'm double posting, sue me Angry]:
- Vista compatible [I hope, at least it still runs on XP Tongue]
- Red Core is unlocked! Have fun with the Robot Boss Smiley
- Gamepad/Joystick support:
Gamepad Controls:
Analogue Stick (Left)/Directional Pad - Movement
Button 1 - Press; Rotate options 1 spot || Hold; start/stop options spinning
Button 2 - Shoot
Button 3 - Megabomb

Good luck guys
Also, this isn't the final demo, we'll have another out before the deadline Shocked
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 10:58:07 AM by Five Damned Dollarz »
Read September 24, 2007, 09:36:39 PM #32
Adigun A. Polack

Re: Core [Updated 24/09/07] - !! DEMO OUT NOW !!

Five Damned Dollarz, so far, you have created a very good entry here, and I like the action very much!!  Wink

One problem though: stage-to-stage progression.  After I beat the first boss, it just jumps me right back to the “Core Select” screen, and then the first stage again, instead of advancing us directly to the next stage!  Sad  That is a bug that I think needs fixing, you know?

As well, I just now found another bug... when the boss has *just* been beaten and the player’s last life is lost at the same time, the continue screen shows.  Then after the player uses a continue, he/she resumes, but gets stuck on the stage he/she has beaten, unable to advance!!  Cry  Could you fix that for us, please?  Smiley !

Other than these minor setbacks, though, this is a very good entry indeed so far, and well done on the competition, man!!!  Cool=b
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 09:45:46 PM by Adigun A. Polack »
Read September 25, 2007, 01:05:05 AM #33
Five Damned Dollarz

The jump to menu after level completion is not a bug, I just haven't done the next level, and to be honest, I doubt you'd like to be stuck in an infinite loop fighting the Tank boss on a mountain backdrop with no music? Tongue
I thought the second bug you found may cause problem, I've seen it for a while now, but it keeps slipping my mind to fix it, I shall do it now Smiley
Thanks for the feedback AAP Cheesy
Read September 25, 2007, 06:11:58 AM #34
Adigun A. Polack

Hey, no problem, my man, and my absolute pleasure too!!!  Again, fine job on your entry!!  police=b
Read September 28, 2007, 02:11:33 PM #35
Five Damned Dollarz

Ok, made some updates to it [not uploaded yet] but I don't think the 2nd level will be ready for the end, so me and Biggerfish will probably hand in either:
- An unfinished 2nd level
or
- No 2nd level at all
However, we will update a few things (eg. People still complained about X so I removed it and put Megabomb on X, a couple of sprites)
So, don't be too disappointed... It's kinda my fault, because I stopped coding it for a week or so, plus I was sick for 4-5 days and unable to code due to a horrible headache, etc.
Also, I've lost A LOT of interest in Core and I find myself unable to code any more to the level for more then 5 minutes without thinking that it's not worth it and that it's boring... So, that's my story for you...

Good luck with your entries, everyone!
Read September 30, 2007, 06:24:18 AM #36
Five Damned Dollarz

Ok, DEMO 3! THE FINAL DEMO BEFORE THE COMPETITION END!
Changes include:
- A more informative HUD
- AN INSANE BOSS EXPLOSION! [Which MAY bring some of the REALLY low end systems to their knees, but it works ok for me, albeit a fair bit of lag Tongue]
- Redone player bullets
- No need to select Gamepad or Keyboard due to me removing the function that I put that in for Tongue
-A tiny glimpse of mountain instead of instant back to menu [no time to do Level 2, sorry guys Sad]
- And a few other changes we felt were needed

Controls:
Keyboard:
Arrows - Movement
Z - Shoot
X - Megabomb

Gamepad:
Directional Pad - Movement
Button 2 - Shoot
Button 3 - Megabomb

I probably should have added a way to choose your own controls... A bit late now though Tongue Sorry
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 08:58:54 AM by Five Damned Dollarz »
Read September 30, 2007, 11:00:35 AM #37
Shoot-em-upper

Re: Core [Updated 30/09/07] - FINAL DEMO

IT RUNS!!!

Only now I'm having the same problems that the2bears had with disorientation - I'm having to constantly think about where my core is, and my reaction time is way down.  It doesn't help that the enemies and bullets are lightning-fast.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 30, 2007, 11:22:12 AM #38
Five Damned Dollarz

Re: Core [Updated 30/09/07] - FINAL DEMO

Well... I dunno how to fix that, with time you'll get better, I'm sure, assuming you don't get fed up and stop playing Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 18 queries.