Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Armada - Completed - 30th September

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read August 09, 2007, 11:22:33 PM #0
BMF

Armada - Completed - 30th September

Divus Armada

Download link: http://bmf.veloren.com/files/DivusArmada.rar ~17.5 MB

---README.txt---

Divus Armada

v1.0

----------

A shoot'em up.

Contents:

1. General Information
2. Keyboard Functions
3. Tips
4. Score
5. 'Divus', the energy satellite
6. Health powerups
7. HUD
8. Credits

----------

1. General Information:

. This game was made for the shmup-dev.com competition Round k2.
    It is coded in C++ using the Dev-C++ IDE. It uses Irrlicht for rendering and irrKlang as sound library.

. This game is free. You can play it all you want and copy it for other people
    without paying anything. However, you can't modify it, sell it, or use
    resources from it without express permission.

. You can use the following address to contact me regarding the game: IamBMF@gmail.com   
    I would like to hear any comments you might have about the game. Feel free to send me an
    e-mail if you have something you'd like to say.

. This version of the game was rushed to meet the deadline of the shmup-dev.com competiton Round K2.
    It is not finished work.
    You will be able to find the most recent version of this game and details about it here:
    http://bmf.veloren.com/games.php

----------

2. Keyboard Functions:

. Use the arrow keys to move.

. Press <X> to select (menu) or to shoot (while playing).

. Press <C> to pause/unpause the game.

. Press <Esc> to destroy your own ship.

----------

3. Tips:

. Study enemies' behaviour.

. Memorize levels.

. Dodging is as important as shooting. Particularly when Divus is on green mode. (See below)

. Shoot non-stop.

. You do not have to kill every single enemy in the game in order to beat it. You will need to in order to
    achieve a high score, though. (See below)

. Get the heath powerups (red), they are most often worth the effort. (See below)

----------

4. Score:

One of the main objectives of the game is to achieve a high score, which will be submitted to an online database
  after playing.
  This online list can be checked either choosing the 'Statistics' option on the menu, or at the following website:
  http://bmf.veloren.com/files/armada_highscores.php

These are the ways you get score:

. Surviving. About 60 points per second. Twice that if your option orb is in green mode (see below).
   . Destroying an enemy ship. 1000 points.
   . Getting a small shield powerup. 2000 points. (See below)
   . Getting a big shield powerup. 5000 points. (See below)
   . Hitting a boss. 100 points.

----------

5. 'Divus', the energy satellite:

Your ship is not like everyone else's.
  After years of research, you have managed to build a so called 'energy satellite'. You like calling it 'Divus'.
  Divus is a small artifact, which rotates around your ship.
  It is non-material, all energy, and its main function is making your ship's firepower go beyond that of any other ship of its kind.

Divus gets stronger when large amounts of energy are suddenly created near it. Ships exploding provide a decent amount
  of energy, mind you.

Divus consumes part of its energy when shooting, since it gives your bullets this extra energy blast.

Divus has two modes:

. Purple mode. This is Divus' normal mode. Your firepower will be bigger than that of any other ship of your kind.

. Green mode. When Divus' energy is saturated, it goes into green mode. On this mode, your firepower is even higher,
      but it's temporary and instable. Being hit when on this mode makes the system restart and go back to purple mode.
      Use at your own risk.

It is because of Divus that you will feel superior to other ships when on the battlefield.
  It is because of you that Divus exists.
  Good job.

----------

6. Shield powerups:

During the battle, your ship's shield system gets damaged, as that of any other ship.
  However, you can increase your shield level by picking shield powerups.

Shield powerups are easily recognizable. They are red and look like rapidly moving small particles.

There are two kinds of shield powerups:

. The small ones will recover 40% of your shield level. There appear sometimes, after destroying a ship.

. The big ones will recover 100% of your shield level. They are not that common as the small ones.

----------

7. HUD:

On the top-left zone of the screen you will be able to see an image representing Divus' current mode.
  If on green mode, you will see a bar that indicates how much time is left until it will go back to purple mode.

Next to it you can see a red bar representing your current shield level. It is your main objective to not let that
  go down to zero.

There is also a purple bar indicating Divus' current energy. If it gets to 100%, Divus will be saturated, and will
  turn into green mode to use that extra energy that could make it unstable.

The top-right zone is used for bosses shield bars. Make those go down.

----------

8. Credits:

-Development team.

. Programming by Borja Moreno FernŠndez "BMF".
   . 2D art by Tor-Erik LindstrÝm "Razor".
   . 3D art by Christian Clavet.
   . Music by Theo Keeler "Flashback".
   . Design by Borja Moreno FernŠndez "BMF" and Tor-Erik LindstÝm "Razor".

-Special thanks.

. All the people at the shmup-dev.com forums, for their always wise advice.
   . All the people at the Irrlicht forums, for their tips and coding help. Thanks in particular to Travis Vitek.
   . All the people who tried the game during the development stage, for their feedback and motivation.
   . Juan Antonio Cano Salado "Jacano", for his help concerning the online highscore system.
   . "Xemrel", for his hosting and general help.
   . "Serrellious", for founding the community which helped me find great people, and increase my skills.
   . To you, for downloading and playing the game.

----------

End of file. Enjoy.

BMF 2007.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 05:35:39 PM by BMF »

Read August 10, 2007, 12:40:05 AM #1
Shoot-em-upper

Re: Armada

I can see that the ships operate on one plane, but I think that motorherp might have his doubts.

3d graphics are fine, but the gameplay must be 2d.  The reason rail shooters are not included is not because they have 3d graphics but because the actual gameplay takes place in a 3 dimensional environment were movement can be in all 3 axes.  This distinguishes this style of gameplay from shmups which is what this competition is about.  If you want to play around with the camera that is fine, but your gameplay must remain 2 dimensional.  Please just try to accept the competition for what it is and appreciate the focus we are trying to give it.

However:

Ok seems people are still struggling on this point.  I havn't played Hyper Invader yet but judging from the screen shots this is a very interesting example as it falls very borderline for me.  From the appearence they've tried to keep the gameplay of shmups by restricting the actual gameplay to one plane, i.e. 2 dimensions, even though the graphics are 3d.  This is good.  Personally I think the tilt on the camera is a little too much and the perspective is distracting.  Had it been in development for the competition I would have suggested they straightened the camera up a bit to a more overhead view, but ultimately I would have let this pass.  If however the camera was positioned in a just above cockpit position looking down the nose of the ship this would have been too far.  Also if the game mechanics were extended into the 3rd dimension then this would definately be a no no.

Ultimately it comes down to this.  Its not possible for me, and neither am I going to try to create clear cut rules for every conceivable situation and then try and enforce them to the letter.  In the end its down to you to use your common sense and judjement to create a game within the spirit of shmups using the guidelines I've given.  If you think what you're doing will get you disqualified then its probably a good idea to reconsider it.

So, I don't know, maybe you should PM him.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 10, 2007, 12:53:09 AM #2
BMF

Well, the gameplay is 2D. So there should be no problem with that. Smiley
After all, it plays like any 2D shmup, basically.

//Edit - Old original post

ARMADA

Hello people.

I think it's time for a playable version! I want to get some feedback already.

Download link

Lets see who gets highest on that highscores list. Yes? Ha!

Controls:

In game:

-Arrow keys for movement.
-Space bar for shooting.
-Z for calling allies (only if your yellow bar is full or it has turned green).
-Esc to finish.

Menus:

-Arrow keys to move around options.
-Space bar to select, go back, mostly everything.

----

Video! It's me playing the game.

Captured using Fraps. Compressed using Bink and Smacker.

It's 320x240, even though the game is 640x480. I didn't want you to need to download a huge file.

In case you prefer a 640x480 video, here it is! It's a different one. About 8MB.

Link.

There you go, get the feeling!

----

So, being at Razor's house, playing around with the Irrlicht engine, we decided to make a space shooter. Seeing how a few guys we know were entering this competition, we thought we may as well do so!

And, after 3 days of work, we are proud to announce... a couple of screenshots!

ARMADA is a 3D game with 2D gameplay, in which you take control of a ship in the middle of an interplanetary war. We'll be giving more details about the story later, or maybe not.

So, here you have a screenshot of our current ship model, made by Razor.

And here you have a couple of in-game screenshots. Yay for particle effects.

Hope to keep working on this as much as we have until now!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 05:31:32 PM by BMF »

Read August 12, 2007, 10:43:42 PM #3
Shoot-em-upper

Then it's definitely not disqualified.  Also, it was rather stupid of me to suggest PMing motorherp when he could just read the thread.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read August 13, 2007, 07:32:30 AM #4
BMF

Don't worry Shoot-em-upper, we've already read lots of replies concerning this 3D/2D discussion around these forums. =P

Now, here you get some more information that could, however, not be definitive:

The basic idea is:

An interplanetary war is taking place. As a member of the army of one of the factions involved, you are into the war field.

So this won't be the classic me VS all shmup game. As it's war, you should feel like if it really was war. Even though the gameplay is 2D, and you can only take care of a limited area on screen, there will be fight going on everywhere else. AI controlled enemies flying below, above and to your sides, shooting AI controlled enemies, for an intense action feeling.

Options fit perfectly into this environment. We are thinking, for example, on a 'charisma' meter. The more enemies you defeat, the more your allies will be willing to help you, meaning that once your bar is full, you could call allies to come and help you with your area. This idea gets deeper considering how your bar can be filled several times (without being used), and each time you'll be able to call for stronger allies.

What we are currently working on:
Adding 3D sound using IrrKlang, more enemies and weapons, AI controlled fights surronding you, and creating/improving ships models and textures.

That's all for now. We'll keep you updated!

Read August 13, 2007, 07:36:25 AM #5
Five Damned Dollarz

Wow, those graphics look amazing, and you should post 'the sexy workbench' image and razors reply here Wink
This is one of my most anticipated games from this comp, along with Prototype 2 and Droneswarm Smiley Good luck BMF and Razor!
Read August 13, 2007, 07:44:12 AM #6
BMF

Thanks, FDD! And good luck with your project too. =)

About the 'sexy workbench', here you have it. Quoting Razor's original post:

"Seriously, working like this was so much easier than over the net. Especially the fact that you can explain design ideas by shaping your hands into a spaceship while imitating engine noises. XD

Also notice how my monitor is way bigger than BMF's. Size matters."

Read August 14, 2007, 07:37:09 AM #7
BMF

Hello people, here you get a new screenshot.

We haven't modified the models and textures for ships yet, but we are progressing at good pace. After all, today, it's been a week of development!

In case you wonder why, in the screenshots, there's always some ship that looks weird, I'll tell you that, when hit a few times (to death), ships go wild before they explode. It's quite a cool effect, when seen in-game. =P

Currently, there's only one type of bullets, but that is definitely going to change. There will be powerups too, one (or more) of them concerning fire power (with different bullets?).

There are now (as you can probably see in the screenshot) enemies all around the 'world' (not only in the range you can move), these are part of the war-feeling we want to give to the game. There will as well be allies there, and shots and explosions outside your move-zone should be a plus for immersion into the game.

I started working on the menu too.

There are currently 3 different kind of enemies (all with the same model and texture, I'm talking about behaviour here).

A few effects have been added too, such as 3D sound in explosions, and camera shaking when being hit.

Enemies aren't created randomly anymore, but in 'formations'. There will be dozens of those. Levels basically just be a succession of 'formations' (each having from 4 to 10 enemies more or less) plus maybe a boss at the end.

I'll keep you updated!

Read August 16, 2007, 10:14:36 AM #8
BMF

Thanks for the feedback, people!

I have kept working hard for the last couple of days, doing some big improvements.

Firstly, the main menu is functional now (still to get prettier, and options and highscores are not done yet), enemies can shoot, and so do environment enemies and allies, it's quite a mess of shots everywhere, war atmosphere!

We started working on the HUD too (which will totally be updated soon, with the final one, hopefully), and added the 'charisma' meter, that when full, allows you to call allies (options) to help. These are working already, and it's great to see they do the job for you, heh.

We have been doing lots of design work too.

And here you get a new screenshot, will keep you updated!

Read August 16, 2007, 11:46:27 PM #9
Xemrel

You decided to join, afterall! Yay! Grin
Read August 17, 2007, 08:27:28 AM #10
BMF

Yes, and have been working since then 10 days non-stop. =D

BTW, we found someone to take care of the music, which is good news! =)

Read September 04, 2007, 04:28:52 PM #11
BMF

Video! It's me playing the game.

Captured using Fraps. Compressed using Bink and Smacker.

It's 320x240, even though the game is 640x480. I didn't want you to need to download a huge file.

There you go, get the feeling!

Read September 04, 2007, 07:14:50 PM #12
BMF

Re: Armada - Video inside!

In case you prefer a 640x480 video, here it is! It's a different one. About 8MB.

Link.

A playable demo? Hopefully in a couple of weeks. =)

Read September 04, 2007, 07:26:42 PM #13
the2bears

Re: Armada - 2 Videos inside!

Not a fan of the perspective you're using, but I have to admit that's looking pretty good Smiley

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read September 05, 2007, 02:09:15 PM #14
Nobody

Wow the movie looks way better then the screenies. Smiley
Read September 05, 2007, 03:32:44 PM #15
BMF

Thanks guys!

@the2bears: Glad you liked it, we had to be careful with the perspective and gameplay, to avoid breaking contest rules! Now that you see the gameplay in action, you see it's not different from the classical style. =)

@Nobody: Yeh, particle effects are cooler in motion than static. Playing looks way better than the movies, too. =P

Read September 05, 2007, 05:26:06 PM #16
the2bears

@the2bears: Glad you liked it, we had to be careful with the perspective and gameplay, to avoid breaking contest rules! Now that you see the gameplay in action, you see it's not different from the classical style. =)

I never doubted the game play was 2D, as of course a 2D plane can have any orientation.  It can even be twisted and contorted by all manner of formulae.  It's just the case that I usually don't like a perspective tilt unless it somehow adds to the game Smiley

Bill

Read September 09, 2007, 02:21:40 PM #17
Shoot-em-upper

It can even be twisted and contorted by all manner of formulae.

Like in Space Giraffe.  And I like the 3D look.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 12, 2007, 08:47:28 PM #18
BMF

@the2bears: I think it adds to the game! But you'll see! The atmosphere created by the 3D environment is better imo, you get to see enemies from far away, with no limitation than how far your view can distinguish things... I like it.

The main things of the game are done by now, it's a matter of polishing now. We have to add more levels (I finished a separate tool that we'll be using as a level editor), enemy models, weapons, and improve everything we can.
We've added online highscores too, but that still needs to be bug-freed.

Menu has been done, with it's settings and all functioning already.

Hope to have a playable version soon! And hope to meet the deadline!

Read September 13, 2007, 05:36:19 PM #19
BMF

Re: Armada - Playable version & 2 Videos inside!

Hello people.

I think it's time for a playable version! I want to get some feedback already.

Download link

Lets see who gets highest on that highscores list. Yes? Ha!

Controls:

In game:

-Arrow keys for movement.
-Space bar for shooting.
-Z for calling allies (only if your yellow bar is full or it has turned green).
-Esc to finish.

Menus:

-Arrow keys to move around options.
-Space bar to select, go back, mostly everything.

Read September 13, 2007, 05:51:36 PM #20
the2bears

I thought I'd get on for a little while before Tim takes over top spot Smiley

Not bad, actually quite nicely done and enjoyable because it's different.

Bill

Read September 13, 2007, 06:08:15 PM #21
BMF

Heh, nicely played the2bears! =P

Glad you liked it. =)

The game's still in quite an early stage of development, and we'll be working on adding more levels, weapons, powerups, enemy models, etc. now.

Also, any kind of feedback is appreciated!

Read September 13, 2007, 08:40:01 PM #22
Alex

Great fun, BMF!  It took a few goes to get used to the inclined viewing angle, but it's really fun to play...

But beating my high score by 1 point...  Thats just insulting.
Read September 13, 2007, 08:49:13 PM #23
BMF

Haha, thanks Alex! I'm really glad people seem to generally enjoy the game. As I already said, sorry for beating by 1 point, I promise I didn't cheat. =P
Thanks for your "private" feedback too. ^_^

Currently: Working on levels (plan: 5 levels [each twice as long as current one] with a final boss each, and a different skybox each, as a start).

Wink

Read September 18, 2007, 08:13:06 PM #24
BMF

We recruited a new modeler for the project. Here you can see his first model, a new main player ship:

We already have two huge boss models, too. You are going to love them, promise. =P

The game now has 5 levels and 5 skyboxes, one per level, and is going to have 5 bosses (plus the final one on a special level?), the HUD has been redone (much better now!), and the online highscore table (a different one, so we'll be keeping the beta records) is now hacker-safe (to an extent, anyways) =).
Many other minor improvements have been made, and the controls have switched to Z,X (instead of Space bar, Z), which is much more comfortable. We'll worry about AZERTY guys later.

Just so you know, the project is very active, hot, I would say. ^_^

There may or may not be a new release soon, depending on if we feel like we need feedback on certain subjects.

Read September 19, 2007, 02:53:13 PM #25
Shoot-em-upper

Cool ship!  It looks like a combination of the original and an X-Wing.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 19, 2007, 05:44:51 PM #26
BMF

Yeh, he used the original as a reference, as you can see.

So hopefully the graphical quality of the game will be improving greatly. =)

Read September 19, 2007, 08:14:38 PM #27
Pixel_Outlaw

I liked the responsiveness of the ship. I think you might look into some splines for enemy movement as sudden direction changes are a bit frusterating. The game moves in a very linear fashion and personally I believe that some angled shots would be nice. The speed of the shots could be slowed down a bit aswell, to compinsate for the camera angle.

Fixed my Engrish grammer/typing. Grin
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 03:45:23 AM by Pixel_Outlaw »

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read September 19, 2007, 09:02:08 PM #28
BMF

Thank you very much for the feedback, Pixel_Outlaw, I'll take it all into consideration. =)

Read September 21, 2007, 12:32:49 PM #29
Matt McFarland

I'm #1 w00t w00t Wink

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read September 21, 2007, 07:20:51 PM #30
Shoot-em-upper

There's a weird bug.  Every once in a while, when I summon my options, a gigantic untextured model fills 3/4 of the screen and wiggles around before disappearing.  I can see all of the ships that are behind(?) it, but it looks extremely odd.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 22, 2007, 08:37:03 AM #31
BMF

Yeh, I found and fixed that bug a few days ago, Shoot-em-upper.

@Matt McFarland: Lets see if you can top that on the new release. =P

Here you get a new screenshot. It's a boss (ships are actually coming out of it). Its healthbar is temporary.

You can see the new HUD system, a new skybox, new player and ship models, a boss model, a health powerup (red)... and some other things. =)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 08:45:12 AM by BMF »

Read September 22, 2007, 01:24:44 PM #32
Matt McFarland

Looooookin Good sir! More eye candy!!!  Oh yah, that's COMMANDER Matt McFarland to you!!!!  I love online scorin systems Smiley  Bring'it!!  grin2 grin2
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 02:39:17 PM by Matt McFarland »

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read September 22, 2007, 04:38:20 PM #33
Shoot-em-upper

Wow, it looks so much better!  Also those enemy ships look exactly like a doodle that I did a few years ago.  Inspired by the TIE fighter, perhaps?

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 22, 2007, 04:57:32 PM #34
BMF

@ Matt McFarland: Hehe, thanks!

@Shoot-em-upper: Thanks. Our modeler says that he did the enemy ship without a reference, it's just... what he had in mind. =)

Have been working hard on a boss today. Hope to be able to finish at least 3 of them before the deadline (5 for the final release, but I doubt I'll have the time...)

Later!

Read September 22, 2007, 06:02:53 PM #35
Alex

I can beat0r your score!  Lol!!!11one! but it wouldn't be fair the way I'd do it Cheesy
Read September 22, 2007, 06:06:31 PM #36
BMF

@Alex: But that's only on that beta. Meh. =P

Read September 30, 2007, 05:36:30 PM #37
BMF

Re: Armada - Completed - 30th September

Finished. 5 levels, 3 bosses. Have fun. =)

Read September 30, 2007, 07:36:23 PM #38
Deleter

Cool game, got #5 on first play  Grin
Read September 30, 2007, 08:03:08 PM #39
BMF

You'll have to try harder if you want to keep on the top 10 for long though.  Grin

Glad you like it. ^_^

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 19 queries.