Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV COMPETITIONS » SHMUP-DEV Competition 2k7 Round 2 [COMPLETED] » Official Entries
|-+ Kamiha [complete]

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read August 30, 2007, 09:51:07 AM #0
Ichigo Jam

Kamiha [complete]

Well, I've managed to put 2 levels together. Some things are a little rough around the edges (especially the sound) but it's something, at least.

Unless I feel inspired on Sunday, this will probably be my entry.

Oh yeah, controls are standard cursor keys + Z=fire, X=bomb. Or a joypad/joystick.
See the 'How to play' option in the game for details of the game system.

Edit: To confirm: the version attached is the competition entry. (The only thing changed since the first one I posted is really the version of SDL.dll included, so there's no point downloading it if you already downloaded an earlier version and don't have problems running it.)

Original post:
Another entry just before the deadline! Smiley
I don't know if I'll manage to finish it in time, but I'll try to at least submit a 1-level demo.
I'm looking forward to playing the other entries - it looks like there's some stiff competition!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 11:51:16 PM by Mokona »
Read August 30, 2007, 10:02:32 AM #1
cactus

Re: Kamiha

Ooh, that's quite a nice screenshot you got there. The look of it makes me glad you've decided to join Smiley
Read August 30, 2007, 10:20:56 AM #2
mice

Oh! Finish that pixeling and you're home. Looking really, really nice!
Read August 30, 2007, 11:11:33 AM #3
Five Damned Dollarz

The way the background isn't totally shaded looks really good and keep the focus on the action, your sprite-work is awesome, can't wait to play it Smiley
Read August 30, 2007, 02:39:26 PM #4
Adigun A. Polack

You know what, excellent start with that screenshot of yours, Mokona... the graphics are a splendid start for you right here!!!  Wink=b

As for a one-level demo, that is the start of what you can do on your entry... and that is fine with us.  Grin !  Make it a wonderful one, and best of awesome success to you in this competition as well!!!
Read September 09, 2007, 02:05:59 PM #5
Shoot-em-upper

That chasm is perfect.  I wish I could make perfect chasms.

I came, I saw, I posted.
Read September 30, 2007, 12:08:32 AM #6
Ichigo Jam

Re: Kamiha [Probably complete]

There's now a playable version (probably my entry) - see first post for screenshots & download.
Read September 30, 2007, 11:07:49 AM #7
monoRAIL

Wow, what a great game. I hadn't noticed this one before but you've come up with probably the best option-system I've seen in the contest. Great work! This one gets a shortcut on my desktop ;-)
Read September 30, 2007, 12:23:52 PM #8
X-0ut

This is absolutely great, good job.
If there are going to be future versions be sure to notify us.
Read September 30, 2007, 01:25:22 PM #9
Hornet600S

The screenshots look absolutely great!
But the game crashes on my current test-machine  Cry

stderr.txt is empty.
stdout.txt says:
----------------
Initialisation
SDL Init done
Pre-init
Reading/Writing options (rb)...
InitScreen windowed, 640x480

Hardware: P4, Radeon 9600 (latest drivers), SB Live

"When the Amiga came out, everyone at Apple was scared as hell."
(Jean-Louis Gassée - Head of Macintosh development at Apple)
Read September 30, 2007, 01:27:34 PM #10
Kairos

When I played this, it felt like 2 things:

Do-Don-Pachi

Japanese shmups

You've hit both right on the spot. Awesome job - Hopefully you'll continue further with development and produce a full game!
Read September 30, 2007, 01:49:31 PM #11
Ichigo Jam

The screenshots look absolutely great!
But the game crashes on my current test-machine  Cry
Hmm... Unfortunately I don't know what the problem is. I'm using fairly standard SDL + OpenGL stuff - nothing very fancy.
I've put up a new version, with a bit more tracing in the initialisation code (and removed one unnecessary function call), so please let me know what stdout.txt looks like if you try this version.
Read September 30, 2007, 01:56:00 PM #12
Hornet600S

Still crashing right after starting.
Windows reports a crash in sdl.dll

----------------
Initialisation
SDL Init done
Pre-init
Reading/Writing options (rb)...
InitScreen windowed, 640x480
InitScreen 1
InitScreen 2

Read September 30, 2007, 02:44:26 PM #13
Ichigo Jam

Still crashing right after starting.
Windows reports a crash in sdl.dll
----------------
InitScreen 2
That's quite strange (it's only calling SDL_GL_SetAttribute at that point, which should be fairly much totally safe as far as I can see!)
Thanks for your time trying this out! If you'd be so kind, I've uploaded another new version, with everything I can think of which could be dubious taken out and a bit more error checking.
Read September 30, 2007, 02:53:30 PM #14
cactus

Loved it! Awesome graphics, great bullet patterns, cool bosses etc. If you can manage, I'd change the music if I were you. It was the only thing that I'd complain about (to be honest, I think the game's better without the music). You've got seven hours, so it's not impossible to improve a bit on it, right?  Wink
Read September 30, 2007, 02:58:51 PM #15
Ichigo Jam

Loved it! Awesome graphics, great bullet patterns, cool bosses etc. If you can manage, I'd change the music if I were you. It was the only thing that I'd complain about (to be honest, I think the game's better without the music). You've got seven hours, so it's not impossible to improve a bit on it, right?  Wink
Cool! I'm glad people are liking it  Cheesy
Yeah, I know the music's a bit poor - there's a reason for there being a music on/off option  Smiley
But I'm a bit clueless about how to make it better; I know very little about making music altogether, so it's an area I really need to practice/study more.
Read September 30, 2007, 03:08:41 PM #16
X-0ut

Just a possibility (I'm using SDL too) and I've found bpp less than 32 can be problematic.
Also if the end user is running a different bit mode to the game.
Read September 30, 2007, 03:13:38 PM #17
Ichigo Jam

Just a possibility (I'm using SDL too) and I've found bpp less than 32 can be problematic.
Also if the end user is running a different bit mode to the game.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think that's the problem:
I tried running it with windows set to 16bit on my machine, and it was OK.
Also, the point of the crash appears to be before the call to SDL_SetVideoMode, before which it surely shouldn't matter what bpp the user has...

Still, Hornet600S: could you tell us what resolution and colour depth you have windows set to?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 03:18:34 PM by Mokona »
Read September 30, 2007, 03:19:36 PM #18
Hornet600S

It's running  Cheesy Looking great!
Well, it is only running in windowed mode.
If I try entering full-screen mode via options panel it crashes  Tongue

Here's a log entry that might help you:
SDL_SetVideoMode(640,480,32,-2147483645)
SDL_SetVideoMode returned 00000000
ERROR: Unable to set SDL video mode
Quitting (error code 123)

Looks like the frequency setting is kind of invalid.

Read September 30, 2007, 03:20:10 PM #19
X-0ut

ok I've put up my window init code here, theres some redundant stuff but you could look for descrepencies between our code:
Read September 30, 2007, 03:40:36 PM #20
Ichigo Jam

It's running  Cheesy Looking great!
Well, it is only running in windowed mode.
If I try entering full-screen mode via options panel it crashes  Tongue

Looks like the frequency setting is kind of invalid.

That's good news! Even if I'm unsure how come it works now when it didn't before...
The main thing I changed is that I use a pre-built version of SDL.dll now instead of one I built myself - but I've no idea why that would cause it to go wrong only on some machines  Tongue

The fourth number isn't the frequency; it's actually a flags bitfield (which I stupidly printed out as decimal, making it look rather odd.)
In hex, that number's 0x80000003 which is SDL_FULLSCREEN | SDL_HWSURFACE | SDL_OPENGL. The refresh rate is unspecified, so it should just go to the monitor's default.
So it's just asking for a 640x480x32bpp fullscreen surface - which should be pretty standard, I thought!

ok I've put up my window init code here, theres some redundant stuff but you could look for descrepencies between our code:
Thanks! That code's really similar to what I'm using, except I set the SDL_HWSURFACE flag.
Thinking about it, that probably doesn't do much for opengl surfaces anyway - presumably they don't default to SW! 
Oh, and your code is a lot tidier than mine Smiley
Read October 01, 2007, 08:14:26 PM #21
battlegorge

Re: Kamiha [complete]

Great!
I like the arcade style.  Smiley
You had a nice idea for the options.
Only 2 stages but its fun to play them again and again.
Only the cracking sounds could be improved. Do you use sound channels?
I hope you continue this and make a full game with 7 stages!
Read October 01, 2007, 11:52:49 PM #22
Ichigo Jam

Only the cracking sounds could be improved. Do you use sound channels?
I hope you continue this and make a full game with 7 stages!
By 'cracking' do you mean the sound breaks up/stutters occasionally? How often does it go wrong?
I've heard it do that a few times during development, but haven't figured out why it happens. (Or any way to reproduce it reliably.)
I don't quite understand the question about sound channels, but I'm using SDL_Mixer and  the sounds are procedurally created as they're played (using Mix_SetPostMix to mix them into the music). I maintain a list of currently playing samples, which is kind of like channels.
Hmmm. Maybe the sound thread's not getting enough CPU time.

As for making a full game, it depends on whether I feel motivated - I don't feel like doing much with it at the moment, but I think that's mainly because I spent too long working on it in one solid block just before the compo deadline. So I'm not going to promise anything. Smiley
Read October 02, 2007, 12:10:52 AM #23
monoRAIL

I get a little bit of crackling in the sounds too. It seems to happen when there's a big explosion or multiple explosions playing at once. Are you stopping the explosion sound effect when a new one starts to play - to prevent them from overlapping? It may just be too many loud sounds playing at once.
Read October 02, 2007, 02:14:44 AM #24
Chad

When I download the attachment, the archive is empty.  This also happened with 2bears' Iron Council.

However, the akuchizoku download worked.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Anyway I'd like to check this out.
Read October 02, 2007, 10:22:45 AM #25
Ichigo Jam

When I download the attachment, the archive is empty.  This also happened with 2bears' Iron Council.

It should be a perfectly normal zip file. I can open it fine with any of WinRAR, 7-Zip or in windows file explorer (on windows XP).

Are you sure it downloaded correctly? The file size should be 1,033,452 bytes.
If that's not the problem, I can only suggest you try using a different program to open the archive.
Read October 02, 2007, 03:22:52 PM #26
battlegorge

By 'cracking' do you mean the sound breaks up/stutters occasionally? How often does it go wrong?
Yes, the menu sounds and explosions stutter, the shooting sound is ok.
With sound channels i meant, what monorail already said, playing only 1 sound of a kind at once.
I'll try to break the 5M now Smiley.
Read October 02, 2007, 06:06:32 PM #27
Chad

It should be a perfectly normal zip file. I can open it fine with any of WinRAR, 7-Zip or in windows file explorer (on windows XP).

Are you sure it downloaded correctly? The file size should be 1,033,452 bytes.
If that's not the problem, I can only suggest you try using a different program to open the archive.

I can open zip/rar/ whatever fine, but that's just it, it isn't downloading correctly.  The zip is 0 bytes and empty.  I was wondering if this is a forum problem, but if everyone else can get it it must be on my end.
Read October 03, 2007, 02:06:14 PM #28
mice

One word: Awesome!
I'll be returning to this whenever I have the time!
It's style, both gfx and gameplay, is up my alley!
Great work!
Read October 06, 2007, 05:05:25 PM #29
Cow

This game is great. Definitely one of my favourite entries. The second level is really hot looking.
Read October 21, 2007, 12:11:34 AM #30
HunchedWarrior

I really like the consistent style in the enemy design. I'd also love to find out what's behind the giant door Smiley

Will there be more levels etc. in the future?

Are you ready set?
We started on a trip to hell
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 18 queries.