SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ Online High Scores

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read December 29, 2005, 12:44:45 AM #0
Matt McFarland

Online High Scores

What are ways to do these?

I know that you can have it send a string to an external file that connects to a database of some sort, but that's the only one I know of so far..
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 01:01:41 AM by Matt McFarland »

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read December 29, 2005, 04:15:27 PM #1
TopHat Stuff

Re: Online High Scores

You could, I suppose, because I've heard it been done before, have ftp access to your website and upload files to a document there, but I wouldn't be happy with having my site password and username stuck in an exe incase some uber 1337 hax0r decides he can hack your exe. I wouldn't know how secure it is.

http://www.tophatstuff.co.uk
Omnircron - our 3D FPS WIP

Logo thingie in my avitar is copyright Wink
Read December 29, 2005, 04:37:04 PM #2
Ape

http://www.indiepath.com/ will soon realese a service like this soon

www.stgfan.com the number one swedish shmup community
Read December 29, 2005, 05:22:14 PM #3
joe

Set up a MySql Database for this on your webserver. Then you have to write a simple php script to recieve and set highscores.

Then you only need a HTTP-Call from your exe to download/upload the scores. It's very easy.

Of course you could use some sort of encryption so hackers aren't able to cheat your online highscore.

Jochen Heizmann, Germany
Absolute Blue - Side-Scrolling Shoot'em'up-Game
www.intermediaware.com
Read December 29, 2005, 05:37:51 PM #4
paladin

there's some SQL stuff at the official blitz forum, just do a quick search for it.

needs more particles...
Read December 29, 2005, 11:49:05 PM #5
Taiphoz

TeamRebellion offered a service for online high scores in the past.

Ours are, were php and sql database driven and allowed for a company to have more than one online highsocre for each of their games.

Its a system I still use for my own titles since we moved web host, and its a system I still might re-implement for public use. if there is a demand.

If I do offer up a new online php high score system then it will of course be free, the only requirement will be a logo add in your games boot title to advertise the site. other than that, the service will be free.

let me know if there is a demand for it.

Read December 30, 2005, 01:45:00 AM #6
Matt McFarland

Ours are, were php and sql database driven and allowed for a company to have more than one online highsocre for each of their games.

Its a system I still use for my own titles since we moved web host, and its a system I still might re-implement for public use. if there is a demand.

If I do offer up a new online php high score system then it will of course be free, the only requirement will be a logo add in your games boot title to advertise the site. other than that, the service will be free.

Just ask Nexic, I've read a post of his stating that he believes that Online High Scores boost sales.  I think that it's just another reason for someone to play your game.. To get a high score..  My game is going to have scores for each sector.   So each sector you can submit and compete over..   I may use your service! For now, its too early to tell..  I most likely will be looking for a service with a lot of good features.  I would rather the scores be posted in the game, so the person doesnt have to leave the game and use a browser (I find that cumbersome) - I will let you know when the time arrises!!  There is just so much more I have to do for my game before I even think about implementing the score system.

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read December 30, 2005, 12:26:44 PM #7
Taiphoz

Just ask Nexic, I've read a post of his stating that he believes that Online High Scores boost sales.  I think that it's just another reason for someone to play your game.. To get a high score..  My game is going to have scores for each sector.   So each sector you can submit and compete over..   I may use your service! For now, its too early to tell..  I most likely will be looking for a service with a lot of good features.  I would rather the scores be posted in the game, so the person doesnt have to leave the game and use a browser (I find that cumbersome) - I will let you know when the time arrises!!  There is just so much more I have to do for my game before I even think about implementing the score system.

Yeah , well I will be creating a new scoring system for my new games, done as said above by me and others using sql and php, My new system will be setup to handle time based games as well as score and point based games, I also plan to allow  per level scores to be added but they will not be split per game, each game will have one score table, if you want to list only scores for one level of your game you do not need to have a new table for it, its simply a new sql query to only list those score fram say level 1.

Once my scoring system is up and running, I will let you all know, I had to stop my older service due to a server move and I no longer had unlimited bandwidth, we had so many scores being posted that the server I'm with right now probably would go out of available monthly bandwidth in a week if i was still running the old system with my old clients..

anyway I will keep you informed. PS those blitz source code examples your talking about could be mine, which I have since lost so if you find them feel free to link to them. I could do with getting my hands on them again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 17 queries.