Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Business and Marketing
|-+ Download size?

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
Read December 30, 2005, 10:13:25 AM #0
Matt McFarland

Download size?

I would like to point out that I plan on having a very nice sound-track for my game.  lots of music, lots of songs, and I was wondering if you guys think that if the download is aroudn 60mb would it hurt your sales?  Is it really important to have a fastly downloaded game?

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read December 30, 2005, 10:18:11 AM #1
paladin

Re: Download size?

nowadays most everyone has high speed so I wouldn't worry about anything under 100 - 200 megs. You gotta draw the line somewhere.  if you're still concerned maybe you could offer the music as a downloadable addon.

needs more particles...
Read December 30, 2005, 10:33:02 AM #2
TopHat Stuff

It can depend on your audience.

If (like me) you have an old PC and therefore can target people with really old PCs, then you may expect less people to have faster internet. Also, 200 megs even uncompressed is a lot of room on a 20GB hard drive.

If you have a faster PC and expect people with newer PCs to be the ones to download your game, then a big file size wouldn't matter because they'll have huge hard drives and fast broadband.

So, really, I'd analyse my audience first and decide. Research people's PC power and internet speed.

http://www.tophatstuff.co.uk
Omnircron - our 3D FPS WIP

Logo thingie in my avitar is copyright Wink
Read December 30, 2005, 10:57:53 AM #3
paladin

good post.  i was thinking also you could offer two downloadable versions... one with high quality (44khz) music/sfx and one with 22kz?

needs more particles...
Read December 30, 2005, 10:59:22 AM #4
Matt McFarland

My only concern with having seperate versinos is how that would work on portals.  I havent seen multiple versions of the same game on one portal. 

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read December 30, 2005, 01:02:03 PM #5
joe

What about fasttracker mods, so you can have a lot of music without a lot of space (for example you can make multiple songs with the same samples).

Jochen Heizmann, Germany
Absolute Blue - Side-Scrolling Shoot'em'up-Game
www.intermediaware.com
Read December 30, 2005, 01:26:55 PM #6
Nexic

I wouldn't release anything over 20mb at the moment. I'm sure you could have a successful game with more than that, but the higher you go, the less downloads you will get. You can either have your music in MOD/XM format (though that will be hard with BlitzMax), or you could have lots of songs, but keep each one to a short loop.
Read December 31, 2005, 05:47:40 PM #7
oddbob

I wouldn't release anything over 20mb at the moment. I'm sure you could have a successful game with more than that, but the higher you go, the less downloads you will get. You can either have your music in MOD/XM format (though that will be hard with BlitzMax), or you could have lots of songs, but keep each one to a short loop.

Yuppers, 20meg is a nice reasonable figure - if your games worth it then 56k'ers won't object too much to downloading it and Broadbanders will have it down in a snatch.

The important question I always find its best to ask is, if I pad my game out with all this stuff - is it really necessary?

I've got a pretty fast Broadband connection, but I still felt cheated after downloading Silver Wing because it was probably 5meg of game, if that, and the rest was nothing but timewasting bloat. And to top it all off with a not especially good game its a poor show and will make me wary of trying anything else they produce in case its just some more bloated rubbish.

If you're going to go over the 20meg mark, then there has to be a good reason for it IMO - and 40megs worth of mp3's for example isn't a good reason - especially when, as Nexic and Joe have pointed out there's always MOD files (or XM, IT whatever your favourite modtracker outputs) or .ogg files to drastically reduce your file size. Even 40meg worth of any other media it better be a damn fine game to justify the download time and (more importantly to me) the space it will take up on my hard drive. As Nexic rightly points out, the bigger your game gets, the more potential for losing downloads you'll have.

If you feel that you couldn't possibly manage your game without reaching 60meg (ie - lots of 3d media, *essential* soundfiles etc...) then you either a) haven't got much choice but to throw caution to the wind and pray your games good enough, or b) you haven't really thought it through properly.

Textures shouldn't really be more than 256x256 to maximise compatibility with most video cards (and you can still be playful with stuff without fearing too much tearing if you're smart), mp3's can have their sizes reduced by compressing to .ogg files, same for sound effects and of course, MOD/IT/XM is ideal if you can track yourself or know a good tracker and I've yet to see an indie game that really needs video footage or is in anyway enhanced by the use of video footage. Smiley

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Read December 31, 2005, 09:40:19 PM #8
Nexic

mp3's can have their sizes reduced by compressing to .ogg files

I was under the impression that ogg was actually slightly larger than mp3? I thought the only reason people used it instead of mp3 was because you have the pay a huge license fee to use it where as ogg is free.
Read December 31, 2005, 09:43:18 PM #9
Matt McFarland

ogg can be smaller than mp3 but not by much at all.  Honestly the way you have a small ogg file is you lower the bitrate to something like 96 or so.  Makes the sound quality worse but then you can have more songs. 

Read December 31, 2005, 10:38:31 PM #10
oddbob

The Ogg Vorbis compression is a lot better than an mp3's, meaning a per meg comparable file in Ogg Vorbis will surpass the quality of an mp3 - which of course, means you can afford to reduce the encoding rate further (and by default - the filesize) than you would an mp3 - obviously, you're never going to compete with a tracker file, but licensing issues aside - because you can afford to compress further and the quality loss will never be as great as that you'd suffer with an mp3 - .ogg makes more sense.

Or, to put it slightly less wordily - .ogg sounds much better at lower bitrates Cheesy

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Read December 31, 2005, 10:41:41 PM #11
Matt McFarland

Excellent.. I use ogg with my game.. I also ogg my wav files to save space..

I'll try to keep the size of my game very minimal.  I am not good with trackers and bmax does not come with xm support so I'll be using ogg music files.. I wanted to have 20 different songs, but I guess that isnt going to happen.. Sad  Oh well that's not a big deal is it..

Read December 31, 2005, 10:45:10 PM #12
oddbob

I'm up to 5 or 6 full length pieces in mine so far, and with the multitude of unpacked media and at the moment uncompressed sound effects (of which there's quite a lot) and I've just hit 14 meg. So, don't give up hope just yet Smiley

*edit* I expect that file size to drop drastically once the animations are packed properly and the sfx ogged also, giving me room to add more tunes Smiley

Read January 01, 2006, 03:37:44 AM #13
Dakurv

What about fasttracker mods, so you can have a lot of music without a lot of space (for example you can make multiple songs with the same samples).

how about 320x240    256 dithered colors graphics ?   Smiley      Thats how it sounds to someone who does music.

Its time to go foward people. Only use the best stuff , but use it responsibly Wink  I have seen lots of games with ogg music that were kept under 10 megs. My own game Lumixed use .ogg tunes and internet radio feeds to keep the download minimal. We have 3 .ogg tracks that total about 12 minutes of music and we have the internet feeds for non stop ever changing music mix. The whole game is about 12 megs.
Read January 02, 2006, 11:46:51 AM #14
joe

You can either have your music in MOD/XM format (though that will be hard with BlitzMax)

You should take a look at the BASS Lib from Un4Seen (www.un4seen.com). It's similar to FMOD and you can use it easily from within BlitzMax. For shareware authors the multiple product license only costs around 100$.

Jochen Heizmann, Germany
www.intermediaware.com
Read January 02, 2006, 04:04:19 PM #15
Olofson

how about 320x240    256 dithered colors graphics ?   Smiley      Thats how it sounds to someone who does music.
Cheesy
Well, you're right. Even though some modern trackers are rather advanced, it's still too much like using a sampler with little more than plain samples, no reverb or other FX and hard 16ths quantization of everything, IMHO. Besides, I prefer to play stuff on my master keyboard and just do some minor editing and copy/pasting - and have yet to see a tracker that supports that style of working in any useful way. After I switched to MIDI sequencers + synths, there was no going back.

However, with the kind of CPU power any reasonably modern PC has, I don't get why it has to be like this. Studio quality DSP still burns humonguous amounts of CPU power, but most things that your average h/w studio synth does can be done pretty well on a modern general purpose CPU at minimal cost - and every instrument in a song doesn't have to be done with real time virtual analog modular synthesis! Sampleplayer voices with basic modulation capabilities are very cheap (they're memory bound unless you're using a rather advanced interpolator), and 12 dB/oct resonant filters are even cheaper.

So, I started hacking Audiality. Wink (Actually, Audiality "just happened", pretty much by accident. Needs some serious refactoring, but I intend to use it in this year's releases.)

//David
Read January 05, 2006, 05:53:54 AM #16
joe

I dont agree. Probably your right for a traditional musician but not for a computer games musician. The computer game musician is responsible to make the best expierence for the player he can do. And if he has only a few MBs space (too keep the download size low, some portals only acceppt games under 20 MB) he should decide if he goes for OGG/MP3 and have the most freedom to create his work but only can use a few minutes of music (which is getting boring and repetive) or to use MOD/XM/IT which is more difficult to create but he can also put more songs / more minutes in it or a lot of variants of the same song (for different parts of the game).

In a way of interactivity you can do a lot more with XM/IT/MOD than with OGG because you can mute tracks from within the game or you can easily jump to different patterns to create some kind of interactive music.

I think for every project you should carefully decide with which format you'll go.

Jochen Heizmann, Germany
www.intermediaware.com
Read January 05, 2006, 08:54:15 AM #17
Indiepath

Personally, if something is over 10MB then you can forget it. I think I might be persuaded to download something around the 15MB size if it's sold to me really well. As a developer myself I can't help thinking that large files are a result of laziness. If the developer could not be bothered to compress and optimise stuff then what else did they not bother to do?

www.pjio.com - Upload, Tag, Share and Play.
Read January 05, 2006, 03:35:58 PM #18
2dguy

"Yuppers, 20meg is a nice reasonable figure..."
"nowadays most everyone has high speed so I wouldn't worry about anything under 100 - 200 megs...."
"...if the download is around 60mb would it hurt your sales..."

er..uh...I...jeesh... wtf....I'm lost for words....

"Personally, if something is over 10MB then you can forget it." This statement is correct in so many ways.
Read January 05, 2006, 05:36:08 PM #19
oddbob

Personally, if something is over 10MB then you can forget it. I think I might be persuaded to download something around the 15MB size if it's sold to me really well. As a developer myself I can't help thinking that large files are a result of laziness. If the developer could not be bothered to compress and optimise stuff then what else did they not bother to do?

Does anyone actually really honestly care aside from other developers? Really, does Mrs Smith at Number 10 think to herself - thats over 10 meg, it better be optimised and compressed or there'll be trouble?

I think not Wink

Someone on 56k or PAYG dialup might look at the file size first then b0rk if its too large, but providing the game justifies the size (and thats the crucial bit) is it really worth quibbling over a few meg? Personally, I think not. Evidently, judging by the number 1 game on Reflexive at the moment being 15meg, the public aren't that fascistic about it either.

Its very easy when developing things to get wrapped up in optimising things, compressing this, compressing that and setting yourself absurd limits *or* assuming that everyone writes games in languages without initial overheads. What really matters is the quality of your game as a package surely?

Given the fact that no matter how curmudgeonly you are or how fascistic you set your own file limits, 20 meg *isn't* a very large figure these days. Personally, I wouldn't go over it - but I have absolutely no qualms whatsoever with sitting somewhere between 10 and 20 - and why should I? I can optimise to the <n>th degree, I can pack all my media down, but if it means compromising my own artistic vision or effecting the final quality of the game to get it under 10 meg, it isn't going to happen. Sorry Cheesy

Read January 05, 2006, 11:15:20 PM #20
2dguy

"but providing the game justifies the size..."

And that's the key. Galaga, Asteroids clones, do not justify the download size if they are anywhere near the 10 meg download in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, some amazing 2D shooter that is truly AMAZING can afford to be a massive download, but for the other 99% of us writing casual shooters, the smaller download means more downloads, better profits, lower overhead, etc.
Read January 06, 2006, 03:10:42 AM #21
oddbob

Well, quite - even I'd find it incredibly difficult to justify anything 5meg+ (allowing for package overheads) for a Galaga clone - although I did once do an Asteroids clone running in at around 15meg but in my defence, I was deliberately taking the mick.

But I do take issue with anyone who automatically assumes >10meg=bloat, yes, there's probably more Indie games out there that could trim the fat off, remove the excess (see my previous comments on video files, there's just no need, ever) and could be around the 8-10meg mark, maybe less, than there is that are as tight as can be - but its not something I'd automatically assume because some of us do put an exceptional amount of time and effort into cramming as much into as small a file size as possible. Sometimes, its just not possible to fit everything you want thats appropriate to the game into such a restriction.

I guess I just prefer to judge on the game, rather than the filesize and I don't like to assume anything automatically. I've downloaded 2 meg games which I've felt are a waste of bandwidth and space, and I've downloaded 60 meg games that have been pretty incredible. Sadly, it also works vice versa. However, a crap game is a crap game to me regardless of size Smiley

I also feel its probably necessary to point out at this point that I don't develop games for money, nor do I have any interest in doing so - so, to a degree - I'm part of the market not the problem. What I make, I make and issue for free - as does my compadre. Of course, the fact that we both give our games away doesn't automatically mean we don't put as much time and effort (and in many cases of some of the utter rubbish shareware I've downloaded the demo's of, evidently more) into making something that fits into a reasonable file size with as much goodness as we can cram in.

But then, having said all that, I am a bit odd by name, odd by nature. I refuse to download video's of games in action as I don't see the point in wasting my time on a rolling demo, especially when someones asking me to download a 12meg .avi of a 5meg game in action - I prefer screenshots or something I can play.

So, as you say, what it essentially boils down to is, if your game is going to be <x> megs, then make the game worth the time I've spent downloading it and I'll be a happy bunny - but don't bloat it out simply because you can because there's nothing more blatantly obviously amateur looking than an overly bloated package and that will hurt your sales - be it 1meg of game in 10meg of download or 10meg of game in 60meg of download Smiley

Read January 06, 2006, 02:21:30 PM #22
Matt McFarland

I'm using a lot fo highly detailed backrounds that are in PNG format. and high quality WAV sound effects.  My game isn't nearly done and it already takes up 5 megs.  But nothing is compressed, so I think that once I compress everything I should be good. Do I need to turn WAV to OGG if I plan on compressing ALL media into a PAK file?

Read January 06, 2006, 04:40:19 PM #23
paladin

i'm with you oddbob - you have to draw the line somewhere.  trading off quality for file size is just wrong.  if devs keep trying to lower file sizes in order to please casual gamers, then sub-par games are going to continue to be released.

"hey I could convert this .bmp to a .jpg and save 2 megs!"

no.  please don't allow your desires for the bling bling affect the quality of your games.  leave that to the publishers.  stay focused and don't lose track of what you originally envisioned.

needs more particles...
Read January 06, 2006, 06:35:29 PM #24
2dguy

Quite frankly speaking, is anyone here:

Selling a game....AND

The download size is over 8mb....AND

Selling more than 10-20 a month?

Just curious....
Read January 06, 2006, 06:30:48 PM #25
Matt McFarland

Quite frankly speaking, is anyone here:

Selling a game....AND

The download size is over 8mb....AND

Selling more than 10-20 a month?

Just curious....

I would like to hear this too..

Read January 07, 2006, 07:53:59 AM #26
Indiepath

Yes, it's 8.5Mb but it's not a Shmup!

www.pjio.com - Upload, Tag, Share and Play.
Read January 07, 2006, 08:35:45 PM #27
Nexic

Well all my games are over 8  and are selling more per month than that. Though they arent much bigger than that.
Read January 16, 2006, 01:06:26 PM #28
d000hg

I'd go with 10-20Mb as a nice maximum size. For a demo at least - once people have played a small download and liked it they're way more likley to spend a while downloading the 100Mb full product.
Music as a separate addon is also a good idea - just have 2 tracks initially and then they can download more.

Reducing bitrate for the demo is also a good idea as already discussed.
Read January 16, 2006, 02:06:58 PM #29
Edge

For a early 80's clone game I would only download it at a maximum of 10 MB
And for shoot'em ups with more levels 20MB is the dead line for me...

Depending on how good the game seems to be, I could make an exception...

There may be lots of people who think different about size maximums, that depends on for whom you create this game.

Anyway, I just wanted to throw in my personal download limits.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 02:10:35 PM by Edge »
Read January 17, 2006, 06:39:28 AM #30
d000hg

And hiogh-speed internet is definitely NOT so common as suggested. I'm on dialup and in the UK for instance so are lots of people. And the kind who want to play older/simpler game genres like shmups may well be kids whose parents don't have broadband, or a more casual market...
Read January 17, 2006, 09:07:15 AM #31
princec

Er, why are you still on dialup in the UK? It costs more than broadband now.

Cas Smiley
Read January 17, 2006, 11:06:31 AM #32
d000hg

How much is broadband then? I spent about 8 on internet calls last month.
Read January 17, 2006, 01:19:54 PM #33
princec

About 14.99 a month. And so worth it compared to dialup. Besides - don't you have to pay an ISP subscription fee as well as the cost of the calls these days?

Cas Smiley
Read January 17, 2006, 04:24:49 PM #34
oNyx

[...]

That comparison is somewhat odd. "How about procedural textures?" would fit better and there is nothing wrong with that except the lack of standarized formats (and tools) and increased loading time.

Tracker formats are somewhat inflexible, but its alright for pumping synthetic music, which is often used in video games (and imo it fits very well).

[...]
In a way of interactivity you can do a lot more with XM/IT/MOD than with OGG because you can mute tracks from within the game or you can easily jump to different patterns to create some kind of interactive music.
[...]

It also works the other way around. Like you can easily sync the game with the music.
Read January 17, 2006, 08:50:01 PM #35
d000hg

No subscription no. 14.99 seems quite a bit more than 8!
Read January 17, 2006, 09:31:44 PM #36
princec

Well, look - you must be so totally broke you can barely afford a computer let alone teh intarweb so you're not going to be buying any games are ya? Which would mean that you're probably not part of the target demographic and even a 20 byte demo isn't going to see you reach for the wallet, hehe  evil1

Cas Smiley
Read January 18, 2006, 10:55:19 AM #37
d000hg

Good point! My games purchases are normally of older games for 5 - and interstingly idie games are normally more expensive than bargain-basement copies of 2-year-old DoomIII. For me , buying an indie game would be pretty expensive!
Read January 18, 2006, 01:35:31 PM #38
princec

That's why we've got to ensure that our games give the punters something that the big studios will never produce, and that they're ultraconvenient to download. I can't see you downloading Doom3 on a modem, hehe! But then again, I can't see me getting off my sorry arse to drive all the way into Taunton to fish around the bargain bin in Gamestation either.

Cas Smiley
Read January 27, 2006, 06:50:07 PM #39
gamesmad

Its a good idea to make a demo of the game, including ONE music track and TWO levels, so that people can get a taste of the game with a very small download, but on your site you make it clear that the full version has more music, and more levels.  Also, you can put it in a RAR, so people can download it quicker.  Although, even on dialup, I cant think that people would mind a 30MB download if they had seen screenshots first.

Will
Read January 28, 2006, 09:34:24 PM #40
Nexic

Also, you can put it in a RAR

Well I think this is a bad idea when compared to having an executeable exe. Most people don't know about RAR or have any way to open one. It's really not worth it for the sake of a few extra seconds of download time.
Read January 29, 2006, 07:38:09 AM #41
gamesmad

Yes, it depends what you are using to make your exe file really, some apps dont seem to compress things much at all.

Will
Read February 01, 2006, 11:59:47 AM #42
d000hg

A .rar is an unusual archive for many of us. A dedicated archiving tool (e.g Winzip etc) should cope but with XP including .zip functionality many may not have one.
A .zip is pretty universally recognised (in Windows) if you don't want to have an exe for somereason. Or A Windwos installer package - .msi extension I think - is quite common,  though I've no idea if it bloats the file at all.
Read February 02, 2006, 05:38:55 AM #43
Hercule

You can use nsis installer. It's very easy to use, free, compress more than zip or rar, the user don't need any tool, and it's professional..
Read February 02, 2006, 10:10:57 AM #44
d000hg

Its a good idea to make a demo of the game, including ONE music track and TWO levels, so that people can get a taste of the game with a very small download, but on your site you make it clear that the full version has more music, and more levels.  Also, you can put it in a RAR, so people can download it quicker.  Although, even on dialup, I cant think that people would mind a 30MB download if they had seen screenshots first.

Will
Do you not remember HOW long 30Mb takes on dialup? 3K/s is an average speed, 30MB = 30,000Kb so download time ~ 10,000s ~ 2.5 hours. Anything over an hour is a long time to me.
Read February 03, 2006, 05:25:07 AM #45
gamesmad

Hmm, didnt quite do my maths there...  Wow, I love my broadband connection.

*Runs away*

Will
Read February 03, 2006, 05:55:23 AM #46
d000hg

Yeah - you knows it. Dialup sucks, especially since everyone says "well who doesn't have broadband" and takes less care to debloat their downloads.
Read February 04, 2006, 01:52:01 PM #47
gamesmad

I know certainly end up thinking like that, it just feels like its barely worth it when you consider how many people there are with dialup by comparison to how many people there are with broadband.  Did anyone know that the average internet connection speed in Japan is 15megabit p/s!!

Will
Read February 04, 2006, 06:57:35 PM #48
d000hg

In the UK dialup IS still the norm. Game players and the younger generation are more up-to-speed (!) but the majority of us (which includes most casual gamers) are still on dialup.
I don't know if the US is comparable - the UK isn't that big a market in comparison I guess.
Read February 05, 2006, 08:12:18 AM #49
Hercule

In France there is 65% of broadband, and the rest of dialup. Dialup fall of 30%, when the broadband grow of 60%. We have the cheapest broadband of europe (it cost less than dialup..).
The german and UK are in good position too.

The black sheep is the US. They have internet connexon but most pepeole have dialup in their home, and use broadband at the office.

I think 20-25 MB is the maximum, with a small demo of 6-8MB. But it's a subjective opinion..

PS: I do mobile phone game with 6 level and a boss, in 64KB (30KB of code), don't complain too much  grin1

Read February 05, 2006, 05:16:38 PM #50
gamesmad

In the UK dialup IS still the norm.

Well, I would have to say that most of the people I know that have the net have broadband, maybe out of all my contacts (126) 2 or 3 people have dialup.

Will
Read February 05, 2006, 07:45:23 PM #51
d000hg

But are your contacts a fair sample of the whole country? People in their 20's who are competent with PCs are likely to have it, but all those who are still a bit scared of computers wouldn't even know how to set it up.
Loads of kids (<18) won't have it because their parents can't see the point, and loads of >30s aren't familiar enough with the internet.

I know lots of people with dialup - people who aren't into computers except for doing coursework or the odd game.
Read February 06, 2006, 01:48:16 PM #52
princec

Actually in the UK now, more people are on broadband than dialup (as of last year).

Cas Smiley
Read February 06, 2006, 03:35:20 PM #53
gamesmad

but all those who are still a bit scared of computers wouldn't even know how to set it up.

Those people arent the people we are trying to sell to anyway...

Will
Read February 06, 2006, 06:05:59 PM #54
Hercule

The installation of a brodband connection is more simple than the old modem.
People who still use dialup, are people who don't use internet much.

And don't forget that we are talking about SHUMP, which isn't a typical casual gamer style!

Read February 07, 2006, 10:32:55 AM #55
d000hg

PCs typically come with dialup modems, all you do is plug in the phone cable and get a CD from an internet provider which sets it up. True, broadband isn't hard but telling a scared PC owner about USB modems, routers and microfilters SOUNDS quite tricky!

True, maybe shmup-fans aren't casual gamers in the true sense - but many of them might be older guys, to whom shmups are the games they played as a child. For them shmups could be casual games.
Read February 08, 2006, 06:10:50 PM #56
Hercule

PCs typically come with dialup modems, all you do is plug in the phone cable and get a CD from an internet provider which sets it up. True, broadband isn't hard but telling a scared PC owner about USB modems, routers and microfilters SOUNDS quite tricky!

True, maybe shmup-fans aren't casual gamers in the true sense - but many of them might be older guys, to whom shmups are the games they played as a child. For them shmups could be casual games.

PC typically come with a dialup modems?
Portable pc maybe, but PC typically have an ethernet connexion and no dialup modem (maybe in US).

Most provider in france have only one box, with a phone connexion, and an ethernet connexion. You plug and it work ( without any connexion parameter, login or driver). It's a lot more simple than any modem installation!

Read February 09, 2006, 10:30:53 AM #57
d000hg

Business PCs come with network cards, home PCs never used to because it was rarely used. Maybe the increase in home teworking has changed this, but I would expect any home PC to have a dialup model - probably built in to the motherboard these days.
Read February 10, 2006, 05:55:16 AM #58
Hercule

Business PCs come with network cards, home PCs never used to because it was rarely used. Maybe the increase in home teworking has changed this, but I would expect any home PC to have a dialup model - probably built in to the motherboard these days.

That's the opposite.
motherboard these day have network, and don't have dialup anymore (home and business pc).
Read February 10, 2006, 05:56:15 AM #59
d000hg

I guess I stand corrected. Been a while since I bought a new PC!
Read March 02, 2006, 01:20:36 PM #60
Crea

You should keep your tracks 1 to 3 minutes and loop them after this.
Most electronic music tracks are much too long for shooters, it's repetitive anyways, so keep it short and interesting.

for the sound effects, use mono and make short but effective sounds, only very few people will notice spatialization effects...
You can use 96 kbps quality for games, few will notice an audible difference between 96 and 128 kbps! (mostly noticed on high frequencies like hihats or such...)

I think 60 mb is ok for a game, but you should make a small demo with 1 level and less music.
Once people have tried that one and liked it, they will surely download the big version.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 18 queries.