SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Business and Marketing
|-+ Download size?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
Read January 28, 2006, 09:34:24 PM #40
Nexic

Re: Download size?

Also, you can put it in a RAR

Well I think this is a bad idea when compared to having an executeable exe. Most people don't know about RAR or have any way to open one. It's really not worth it for the sake of a few extra seconds of download time.
Read January 29, 2006, 07:38:09 AM #41
gamesmad

Yes, it depends what you are using to make your exe file really, some apps dont seem to compress things much at all.

Will
Read February 01, 2006, 11:59:47 AM #42
d000hg

A .rar is an unusual archive for many of us. A dedicated archiving tool (e.g Winzip etc) should cope but with XP including .zip functionality many may not have one.
A .zip is pretty universally recognised (in Windows) if you don't want to have an exe for somereason. Or A Windwos installer package - .msi extension I think - is quite common,  though I've no idea if it bloats the file at all.
Read February 02, 2006, 05:38:55 AM #43
Hercule

You can use nsis installer. It's very easy to use, free, compress more than zip or rar, the user don't need any tool, and it's professional..
Read February 02, 2006, 10:10:57 AM #44
d000hg

Its a good idea to make a demo of the game, including ONE music track and TWO levels, so that people can get a taste of the game with a very small download, but on your site you make it clear that the full version has more music, and more levels.  Also, you can put it in a RAR, so people can download it quicker.  Although, even on dialup, I cant think that people would mind a 30MB download if they had seen screenshots first.

Will
Do you not remember HOW long 30Mb takes on dialup? 3K/s is an average speed, 30MB = 30,000Kb so download time ~ 10,000s ~ 2.5 hours. Anything over an hour is a long time to me.
Read February 03, 2006, 05:25:07 AM #45
gamesmad

Hmm, didnt quite do my maths there...  Wow, I love my broadband connection.

*Runs away*

Will
Read February 03, 2006, 05:55:23 AM #46
d000hg

Yeah - you knows it. Dialup sucks, especially since everyone says "well who doesn't have broadband" and takes less care to debloat their downloads.
Read February 04, 2006, 01:52:01 PM #47
gamesmad

I know certainly end up thinking like that, it just feels like its barely worth it when you consider how many people there are with dialup by comparison to how many people there are with broadband.  Did anyone know that the average internet connection speed in Japan is 15megabit p/s!!

Will
Read February 04, 2006, 06:57:35 PM #48
d000hg

In the UK dialup IS still the norm. Game players and the younger generation are more up-to-speed (!) but the majority of us (which includes most casual gamers) are still on dialup.
I don't know if the US is comparable - the UK isn't that big a market in comparison I guess.
Read February 05, 2006, 08:12:18 AM #49
Hercule

In France there is 65% of broadband, and the rest of dialup. Dialup fall of 30%, when the broadband grow of 60%. We have the cheapest broadband of europe (it cost less than dialup..).
The german and UK are in good position too.

The black sheep is the US. They have internet connexon but most pepeole have dialup in their home, and use broadband at the office.

I think 20-25 MB is the maximum, with a small demo of 6-8MB. But it's a subjective opinion..

PS: I do mobile phone game with 6 level and a boss, in 64KB (30KB of code), don't complain too much  grin1

Read February 05, 2006, 05:16:38 PM #50
gamesmad

In the UK dialup IS still the norm.

Well, I would have to say that most of the people I know that have the net have broadband, maybe out of all my contacts (126) 2 or 3 people have dialup.

Will
Read February 05, 2006, 07:45:23 PM #51
d000hg

But are your contacts a fair sample of the whole country? People in their 20's who are competent with PCs are likely to have it, but all those who are still a bit scared of computers wouldn't even know how to set it up.
Loads of kids (<18) won't have it because their parents can't see the point, and loads of >30s aren't familiar enough with the internet.

I know lots of people with dialup - people who aren't into computers except for doing coursework or the odd game.
Read February 06, 2006, 01:48:16 PM #52
princec

Actually in the UK now, more people are on broadband than dialup (as of last year).

Cas Smiley
Read February 06, 2006, 03:35:20 PM #53
gamesmad

but all those who are still a bit scared of computers wouldn't even know how to set it up.

Those people arent the people we are trying to sell to anyway...

Will
Read February 06, 2006, 06:05:59 PM #54
Hercule

The installation of a brodband connection is more simple than the old modem.
People who still use dialup, are people who don't use internet much.

And don't forget that we are talking about SHUMP, which isn't a typical casual gamer style!

Read February 07, 2006, 10:32:55 AM #55
d000hg

PCs typically come with dialup modems, all you do is plug in the phone cable and get a CD from an internet provider which sets it up. True, broadband isn't hard but telling a scared PC owner about USB modems, routers and microfilters SOUNDS quite tricky!

True, maybe shmup-fans aren't casual gamers in the true sense - but many of them might be older guys, to whom shmups are the games they played as a child. For them shmups could be casual games.
Read February 08, 2006, 06:10:50 PM #56
Hercule

PCs typically come with dialup modems, all you do is plug in the phone cable and get a CD from an internet provider which sets it up. True, broadband isn't hard but telling a scared PC owner about USB modems, routers and microfilters SOUNDS quite tricky!

True, maybe shmup-fans aren't casual gamers in the true sense - but many of them might be older guys, to whom shmups are the games they played as a child. For them shmups could be casual games.

PC typically come with a dialup modems?
Portable pc maybe, but PC typically have an ethernet connexion and no dialup modem (maybe in US).

Most provider in france have only one box, with a phone connexion, and an ethernet connexion. You plug and it work ( without any connexion parameter, login or driver). It's a lot more simple than any modem installation!

Read February 09, 2006, 10:30:53 AM #57
d000hg

Business PCs come with network cards, home PCs never used to because it was rarely used. Maybe the increase in home teworking has changed this, but I would expect any home PC to have a dialup model - probably built in to the motherboard these days.
Read February 10, 2006, 05:55:16 AM #58
Hercule

Business PCs come with network cards, home PCs never used to because it was rarely used. Maybe the increase in home teworking has changed this, but I would expect any home PC to have a dialup model - probably built in to the motherboard these days.

That's the opposite.
motherboard these day have network, and don't have dialup anymore (home and business pc).
Read February 10, 2006, 05:56:15 AM #59
d000hg

I guess I stand corrected. Been a while since I bought a new PC!
Read March 02, 2006, 01:20:36 PM #60
Crea

You should keep your tracks 1 to 3 minutes and loop them after this.
Most electronic music tracks are much too long for shooters, it's repetitive anyways, so keep it short and interesting.

for the sound effects, use mono and make short but effective sounds, only very few people will notice spatialization effects...
You can use 96 kbps quality for games, few will notice an audible difference between 96 and 128 kbps! (mostly noticed on high frequencies like hihats or such...)

I think 60 mb is ok for a game, but you should make a small demo with 1 level and less music.
Once people have tried that one and liked it, they will surely download the big version.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 18 queries.