Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 4
|-+ What tools do people use for the rapid prototype sessions

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read September 03, 2008, 07:33:21 PM #0
maw

What tools do people use for the rapid prototype sessions

what tools do people use for the rapid prototype sessions?  GM?  write it out yourself?

I use BlitzMax wich provides quite powerful functions in few lines of code, e.g. pixel level collision detection for images (if you stick to 2D). Others here seem to use GameMaker, C and Java.

Join the session! And lets see what you can make of my theme... Wink

MAW
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:01:05 PM by the2bears »
Read September 03, 2008, 10:53:07 PM #1
TMR

what tools do people use for the rapid prototype sessions?  GM?  write it out yourself?

I use BlitzMax wich provides quite powerful functions in few lines of code, e.g. pixel level collision detection for images (if you stick to 2D).

[Nodnod] i'm using Blitz Max as well, although i'm a difficult bugger and am doing all my own object handling and collisions because that's how i was "brought up". =-)

Read September 04, 2008, 05:59:52 AM #2
maw

(...) doing all my own object handling and collisions because that's how i was "brought up". =-)

What do you mean by that? Are you manually using OpenGL or DirectX for rendering, even for 2D? And what methods do you use for collision then, rectangles, circles or complex shapes that depend on the objects?

MAW
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 06:52:14 AM by maw »
Read September 04, 2008, 07:35:00 AM #3
TMR

(...) doing all my own object handling and collisions because that's how i was "brought up". =-)

What do you mean by that? Are you manually using OpenGL or DirectX for rendering, even for 2D?

i meant that i totally ignore the object handling in Blitz Max and use shedloads of arrays with functions to manage them; i'm not sure why but i've never been able to comfortably get my head around object oriented programming...

And what methods do you use for collision then, rectangles, circles or complex shapes that depend on the objects?

My collisions are deliberately generous, in the past when working with 8-bits i've used rectangles because there's not enough CPU time for anything more involved and my unreleased Blitz 2D and Blitz Max stuff all do the same. Vinculum, which has some slightly more complex situations to check for and needed a bit more accuracy, uses something akin to circles - it works out the distance between two objects and trips a collision if that drops below a certain value. i tend to design stuff that'd be nigh on impossible if i added pixel perfect collisions or even a bounding box that covered the entire object.

Read September 04, 2008, 12:09:41 PM #4
maw

OK, my last post about this topic so this will not become a thread about programming techniques Wink

i meant that i totally ignore the object handling in Blitz Max and use shedloads of arrays with functions to manage them; i'm not sure why but i've never been able to comfortably get my head around object oriented programming...

Ouch... I guess one would call this oldschool, to me it just sounds a bit uncomfortable and confusing when you have lots of different objects. I use types in lists, and I find it quite easy to handle. Maybe you should take another look at it (but I dont want to teach you). If you want to, the tutorials on blitzmax.com helped me a lot.

MAW
Read September 04, 2008, 05:12:11 PM #5
kdmiller3

My collisions are deliberately generous, in the past when working with 8-bits i've used rectangles because there's not enough CPU time for anything more involved and my unreleased Blitz 2D and Blitz Max stuff all do the same. Vinculum, which has some slightly more complex situations to check for and needed a bit more accuracy, uses something akin to circles - it works out the distance between two objects and trips a collision if that drops below a certain value. i tend to design stuff that'd be nigh on impossible if i added pixel perfect collisions or even a bounding box that covered the entire object.

While I use Box2D for collision and dynamics, I maintain a similar distinction between collision geometry and rendered geometry.  The player ship in my games has a large circle shape around it for collision with the environment or other ships, and a small box shape for collision with bullets.  Collision categories and mask bits make it easy!  Grin
Read September 04, 2008, 10:16:07 PM #6
jakman4242

Re: What tools do people use for the rapid prototype sessions

I use Game Maker and C++. Yay for me!

I've yet to have made a shmup, or any game for that matter in C++. But, if I can manage it. I'll try to make a minimalistic shmup for this here Session 4. It's better than making another easy-to-make-easy-to-break-er Game Maker shmup.

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
Or read my new blog!~ (which I do update)
My blog.
Read September 05, 2008, 02:36:57 AM #7
kdmiller3

To answer the original question, I'm using a custom C++ application framework that I've been developing for the past year.  I built it with flexibility in mind, and it makes adding new features so easy I almost feel like I'm cheating... Grin  Then I'll run into some gaping hole in the framework and that feeling goes away.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 05:59:46 AM by kdmiller3 »
Read September 24, 2008, 03:16:18 AM #8
Pixel_Outlaw

I also use Blitzmax. More powerful than Game Maker but still has the convenience of good multimedia libraries.

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 19 queries.