Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 4
|-+ the2bears' entry: DS6: Rise of Invidia (Done)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read September 09, 2008, 10:37:36 PM #0
the2bears

the2bears' entry: DS6: Rise of Invidia (Done)

I think I've got an idea for something in this session...

Update: Download link was in a post down below, moved it here.

Bill
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:14:32 AM by the2bears »

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read September 12, 2008, 05:05:23 PM #1
the2bears

Re: the2bears' entry

Starting to get this implemented.  The basic idea is this: 

Your ship is woefully under-powered.  Why is it always the case that Earth's defense forces toss you out with never enough firepower?  However, R&D money went into other things... you've got a shockwave weapon, that temporarily disorients the enemies.  Leaving them ripe for capture and assimilation (or at least controlling), after which you control them and inherit their weapons.

You can only control one enemy at a time, and can "spit" out an enemy being used (this will also act as a weapon of sorts).  I'm thinking of 3 archetypes of enemies, classic weapons, that you can capture and use.  I'm also thinking that a second shockwave will destroy an already disoriented enemy.  The challenge will be coming up with a bit of balance.  The shockwave obviously should be "just enough" to play, but the enemy weapons should all, at different times, be enticing to pick up. 

Expect Pixel Spaceships (just so easy to use existing code for these sessions!) but it looks like a horizontal scroller this time around.

Bill

Read September 12, 2008, 08:32:52 PM #2
Pixel_Outlaw

This sounds really innovative!

How many collectable types of enemy shot patterns are your going to have to make?

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read September 12, 2008, 08:41:07 PM #3
the2bears

How many collectable types of enemy shot patterns are your going to have to make?

Going to try for just 3.  I don't know if I have time to do more, and I want the shot types to be fairly tied to game play.  At times you'll need the "straight ahead" shot, or the 8-way, or the missiles that concentrate on the top/bottomn (think yellow force in R-Type).  Hmmm... now I see the clean beauty of IREM's shot design Smiley

Bill

Read September 12, 2008, 08:44:24 PM #4
Pixel_Outlaw

Only surpassed by Taito's Darius games.  angel

Hope it works out for you Bill.

Read September 15, 2008, 03:51:23 AM #5
the2bears

Progress is happening here... always seems like the list I create of "tasks" is impossibly long Smiley

However, stunning and capturing enemies has been coded, as has "hijacking" their firing sequences.  So far I've got 3 types of enemies... one that fires a fast refresh forward shot (that actually reverses each time you press the key down, so you can shoot behind you as well).  There's one that shoots out "yellow betties", one that bounces to the floor, the other that bounces to the ceiling (think of each having a gravity to the direction they're shot).  Perfect for taking out enemies lurking along the top and bottom.  Last is a multi-way shot, a general purpose firing sequence that hits all the screen.

Bill

Read September 15, 2008, 09:33:17 AM #6
maw

Sounds really good! And I guess "enemies lurking along the top and bottom" means that you will have some enviroment design? Will it be scripted or randomized?
Read September 15, 2008, 02:03:42 PM #7
the2bears

Yeah, there's an interactive floor and ceiling to the game.  Not sure yet if it'll be random or scripted.  I suppose the game as I see it lends itself to a boss battle but time's not my ally Wink

Bill

Read September 15, 2008, 04:52:48 PM #8
kdmiller3

Terrain always makes things interesting.  Look at R-Type.  Smiley
Read September 15, 2008, 05:05:46 PM #9
the2bears

Terrain always makes things interesting.  Look at R-Type.  Smiley

Yeah, I need something for the "yellow betties" to bounce off of Smiley  Just not sure how developed other than that I want to go with it given the time.  It's unlike to be be flat, at least it'll have some room for odd bounces and some sort of spawning factory for one enemy type.

Bill

Read September 19, 2008, 02:11:50 AM #10
the2bears

Here's a screen shot showing some progress as we move into the final weekend.  Here we have a captured enemy... and my goodness, a background in one of my games?  Shocked  Still no enemy spawning, formations, nor attacks. Plus, lots of other little things to work out or fix.

Read September 21, 2008, 10:42:04 AM #11
Marioman

Re: the2bears' entry: DS6

Looking forward to getting my hands on this one. Retro looking games seem to be making a comeback  Grin
Read September 21, 2008, 03:16:27 PM #12
kdmiller3

Same here.  I'm a big fan of the retro, and appreciate it whenever someone does retro without using the Geometry Wars glow-vector look.

By the way, I realized a couple of days ago that my entry's core mechanic is pretty much this turned inside out.  The biggest difference is that mine does it as an arena shooter, but that has more to do with the existing code base than any deliberate decision on my part.  I guess there's only so many ways you can do "use captured enemy weapons".  Grin
Read September 21, 2008, 03:35:52 PM #13
the2bears

What'll be interesting is how different the similar mechanic plays.  I'm guessing we underestimate the little things like arena vs. scrolling that end up really making the game feel differently.  In DS6 you can only have one weapon at a time, from 3 "available". 

I'm hoping that in the short time left (leave the level design to the end? Smiley ) I can at least convey a little of the desired effect, that is, I want to encourage switching of weapons through making them each more effective against certain enemy types.  I'm going to try for a bit of a "rock-paper-scissors" thing in how one weapon is more effective on the next enemies attack wave pattern, etc.  We'll see, this is an area I usually fall short on and I recognize I need work on it Smiley

Bill

Read September 21, 2008, 04:11:53 PM #14
hima

Well, even though it's one difference but it's a very big one!

By the way, what are those yellow dots on the screen?
Read September 21, 2008, 05:43:58 PM #15
the2bears

I should have a FAQ for the image Smiley

The dots are re-used bullets from DS3, in this case the captured enemy is an "eight-way" shooter - though the shots alternate 4 in the cardinal directions, then 4 on the diagonals.  Shots now collide with the foreground floor and ceiling.  When I look at the image, though, they look a little like engine flares close to the ship... which is a nice effect I think.

Bill

Read September 21, 2008, 06:08:30 PM #16
berilium

I should have a FAQ for the image Smiley
haha. I asked the same question on Bill's blog.
Read September 23, 2008, 04:12:21 AM #17
the2bears

Ok, finally "done", which is as always never really the case Smiley  I think I need to think about what a rapid prototype session means... just how much of a game should you try to finish?  Should it attempt the theme idea and be merely a starting point for something more polished?  Human nature being what it is it's hard to release without "just one more tweak" Wink  Download link at the top of the thread.

DS6: Rise of Invidia

How to Play

Arrow keys (or WASD): Movement.
Z key: Shockwave, or if an enemy is captured, to shoot that enemies weapon.  Hold down for auto-fire or press rapidly for faster shooting.
X key: Open your ship to capture a stunned enemy, or expel an already captured enemy.

On its own your ship comes equipped with nothing but a shockwave, triggered with 'Z'.  This will stun enemies for a few seconds, at which point they can be captured.  'X' splits your ship in two, opening a space to capture the enemy ship.  Watch out, you're still vulnerable on the top and bottom, so capture them from the front or back of your open ship.

There are 3 types of ships to capture, and each wave of them appears in a set order.  Thus there's some memorization to the game.  Once you've captured an enemy ship, 'Z' now fires that ships main weapon, instead of your shockwave.  'X' will expel the captured ship, allowing you to capture a new one.  The intent was to have different enemy weapons be more effective at certain times than the others, encouraging you to capture and expel multiple times during the game.  The success of this is mixed.  For instance, the bouncing weapon, yellow betties, are quite effective most of the time but not against others of their kind.  The "straight forward" shooting ship has an extra feature.  It will reverse each time you release 'Z', so you can fire behind or ahead of your ship.

Known Issues

Sometimes respawning happens right away, sometimes it waits until the screen is clear
of enemies.  It's supposed to be the latter.  I also wanted to include more interaction
with the environment, such as having your ship rebound, but this led to questions about
what to do when a ship gets pushed off the screen and I ran out of time.

There are likely more problems, the game was put together in only 2 weeks after all,
during the late hours of the night Wink

Bill
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:14:20 AM by the2bears »

Read September 23, 2008, 11:03:01 AM #18
hima

Re: the2bears' entry: DS6: Rise of Invidia (Done)

Capturing is a bit difficult to me. This is mainly because I don't know whether the enemies has recovered from the shockwave yet. Maybe use color or some sign to tell that they're still unconscious would be nice. Also, I didn't know (and after I know, I often forgot ^ ^;) that the top and the bottom is still vulnerable so I died pretty often lol.  I'd prefer something like, pressing x for a quick open and then you're invulnerable from all direction for a very short period of time though.

Also, I found the 8 way to be most useful shot...though I wish the rate of fire would be higher (but that would make it broken haha)

What is the reason why we have to wait for all the enemies to go off the screen before respawning? I just can't wait to try again once I died XD 

All in all this is pretty addicting. Difficult for me to get a hang of it at first, but after that it's pure fun Smiley
Read September 23, 2008, 01:52:40 PM #19
the2bears

Also, I found the 8 way to be most useful shot...though I wish the rate of fire would be higher (but that would make it broken haha)

I assume you mean auto-fire?  You can get faster firing by tapping 'Z'.  Funny, I like the "blue betties" best, maybe as I know how they bounce all too intimately now after playing for so long Smiley

What is the reason why we have to wait for all the enemies to go off the screen before respawning? I just can't wait to try again once I died XD 

Yeah, I'm not satisfied with the code in here... fought with this section right near the end.

Glad you think it's fun, and thanks for the comments!

Bill
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 03:38:46 PM by the2bears »

Read September 23, 2008, 03:54:22 PM #20
Marioman

Downloaded now Im Off to play  Grin

This might seem a stupid question but how do I get this working I unpacked the Zip file then couldn't find how to get it started  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:01:21 PM by Marioman »

Read September 23, 2008, 04:07:44 PM #21
maw

This might seem a stupid question but how do I get this working I unpacked the Zip file then couldn't find how to get it started  Embarrassed

Just launch "DS6.bat"...
Read September 23, 2008, 04:15:10 PM #22
Marioman

Just launch "DS6.bat"...

I did that but nothing happened. Could it be a Vista thing as im running Vista
Read September 23, 2008, 04:19:53 PM #23
maw

Oh, that could be. Maybe the2bears can do something about this issue.
Read September 23, 2008, 04:21:19 PM #24
hima

This happened to me last time. Try download and install the latest JRE from here
http://java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp?locale=en&host=java.com:80

Or download Java6 if you want to programming in Java as well Tongue
https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=jdk-6u7-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer
Read September 23, 2008, 04:26:35 PM #25
the2bears

Just launch "DS6.bat"...

I did that but nothing happened. Could it be a Vista thing as im running Vista

The problem I've found with "double clicking" the DS6.bat file is if there's an error, the "dos" window that the .bat file runs in is closed.  Try opening a "dos" window (console, or command window, whatever it's called now Smiley ) and change to the directory.  Once there enter "DS6.bat" and the error will be printed out.

That said, installing at least Java 5 is necessary (sorry, I didn't do a good job at all on communicating this, I just assume it since all my games are the same Sad ).  The easiest fix is to make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date, even though I don't use anything beyond OpenGL 1.1 you'd be surprised how bad original drivers can be.

Anyway, let me know the error that's printed out after following the above "dos" window instructions.  We'll get you playing!

Bill

Read September 23, 2008, 04:59:57 PM #26
Marioman

Thanks for that Bill all sorted now just did a re-install of java and thats seems to have solved the problem. Now im off to do some retro shooting  Grin
Read September 23, 2008, 05:47:51 PM #27
the2bears

I hope after all that the game offers at least a little fun for you Smiley  Glad it's sorted.

Bill

Read September 24, 2008, 02:39:07 AM #28
Pixel_Outlaw

WOW I'm really glad to play this one. This is maybe your best game yet. The difficulty is about right and everything just clicks. Nice concept, great color palette and excellent execution.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 18 queries.