Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 4
|-+ TMR's entry: "Wire Fighter" (done)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read September 12, 2008, 02:53:29 PM #0
TMR

TMR's entry: "Wire Fighter" (done)

Okeydokey, this has been built pretty much from the ground upwards over the last day and a half... it doesn't have a name yet, but i'm sure i'll think of one eventually. =-)

The idea is, as with all my stuff, pretty simple in that the player controls the likkle grey ship with the cursors or the regular movement controls on a joystick and uses either Z, the fire button or left mouse button to go blam blam lots at the attackers; the problem is that the stock weapon is pretty much crap so some heavier firepower is required and, since the ship is sporting a super-duper prototype Remote Fighter Control system, the obvious solution is to put it and indeed some of the attackers to good use. The RFC system, or "laser wire" as it's been nicknamed by the test pilots trying it out, is a means to take control over someone else's spaceship and basically use it as a support drone, the reason that the left mouse button acts as fire is because the player has a locking cursor under mouse control that, when the tether is charged and ready, can be used to aim at a passing nasty and, with a click of the right mouse button, steal their electronic soul!

The two screenshots show a couple of different ships being enslaved by the grey player; all grey bullets belong to the player itself or the borrowed nasty whilst the coloured ones (which cycle through a rainbow sequence to make them stand out more) will knock the player's shield down or, after about five hits, destroy the captured support craft.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 06:26:45 PM by TMR »

Read September 12, 2008, 04:44:51 PM #1
the2bears

Re: TMR's entry

Looking good TMR Smiley

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read September 12, 2008, 05:28:02 PM #2
kdmiller3

Yup, that's pretty neat.  Smiley
Read September 12, 2008, 08:35:00 PM #3
Pixel_Outlaw

Nice looking start!

The orange waves remind me a bit of the Doppler Effect.

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read September 19, 2008, 10:17:12 AM #4
TMR

Oops, the final weekend! i've made progress and, although the scoring needs re-weighting and i have to create attack wave data, it's generally speaking a working "product" now. Yay! =-)

Read September 22, 2008, 06:31:35 PM #5
TMR

Re: TMR's entry: "Wire Fighter" (done)

Hokey cokey, i've had a little less time than i would have liked and when it runs out of attack wave data the aliens just stop coming(!) but here's what i think i'll refer to as Wire Fighter V0.9 since it could do with more wave data and perhaps a boss handler too. It's not as polished as Vinculum was either... but i've enjoyed playing it so far, hopefully it'll be enjoyed. =-)

Edit: oh crap! i uploaded the wrong version of the game, the cheat is enabled on the old archive so it's impossible to die!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:04:35 PM by TMR »

Read September 22, 2008, 07:27:52 PM #6
kdmiller3

It took me a little while to figure out how to use the capture mechanic, but it was pretty fun after that.  I really like the speech-synthesized "lock activated" for some reason.
Read September 23, 2008, 10:50:36 AM #7
hima

Oh this is very enjoyable. I like it a lot Smiley Only problem I see here is it's too easy to capture the enemy. Like, if you have a big enemy or a boss it would be too easy to kill them since if you release what you captured, it's destroyed. Also, if enemies are different in shape it would be easier for the player to decide which one to capture too. Still, these are easy fixes. Very nice entry indeed Smiley
Read September 24, 2008, 03:08:54 AM #8
Pixel_Outlaw

This is really great! The game plays smooth and I really feel "shmup" here. Top quality stuff!

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 18 queries.