Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » SHMUP DEV FORUMS » Assistance
|-+ What do you think of my design idea

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read December 31, 2005, 11:42:26 AM #0
Ape

What do you think of my design idea

Hi I was thinking along the line of having a score system based on how many bullets there is on screen. When you kill an enemy you multiply his base score with the amount of bullets on screen. Whenever the player powers up the enemies shoot more and faster bullets so it will be harder to get a high score. So what do you guys think?

www.stgfan.com the number one swedish shmup community
Read December 31, 2005, 11:58:29 AM #1
Taiphoz

Re: What do you think of my design idea

I think its a bad idea, your only going to end up with way to many bulllets to avoid and the game would end just just a dodge fest.

in fact I think this would be my most hated game if you make it lol....

Please understand this is my view only, what your talking about is one of my most hated pet hates, you may in fact have a really good game idea, so dont just dismiss your idea cos I dont like it.

I suggest that you knock out a simple test bit of code and demo to see how its going to work, if it plays ok then do a design doc and create your game in more detail.

Read December 31, 2005, 12:59:36 PM #2
Ape

it s supposed to be bullet hell  Cheesy offcourse you have to try it out so it wont be to much, but look at a game like Espgaluda which have a similar system thats not a problem but just makes it more fun  Cool

Read December 31, 2005, 07:18:30 PM #3
Taiphoz

yeah like i said, do a demo and test it out, it might turn out to be more fun than i thot.

Read January 04, 2006, 05:22:53 PM #4
Matt McFarland

Hi I was thinking along the line of having a score system based on how many bullets there is on screen. When you kill an enemy you multiply his base score with the amount of bullets on screen. Whenever the player powers up the enemies shoot more and faster bullets so it will be harder to get a high score. So what do you guys think?

So when you kill an enemy and his base score is 100 pts you multiply that by how many bullets are on the screen?  sounds interesting, although it seems that you'd have to balance out how many enemies are no the screen vs how many bullets will be on the screen so you can see where the score goes.. If you have tons of bullets because its bullet hell I would imagine the score going in the millions rather quickly, right?

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read January 04, 2006, 05:47:45 PM #5
Ape

Yes thats right 100 * NumberOfBulletsOnScreen. I have about 6-7 enemies completely done and they shoot diferently depending on how many power-ups the players got, and yes you have to play around a lot to get it to feel right. My biggest problem at the moment is coming up with a good level design so it doesn´t get to hard or to easy. And yes the points go up very fast  Cheesy

Read January 04, 2006, 05:49:45 PM #6
Matt McFarland

I was thinking maybe you coudl make it like when you destroy the enemy you only get * how many bullets on the screen that are his?  Also, would the bullets blwo up too or would they still keep coming?

<a href="http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf" target="_blank">http://www.mattmcfarland.com/flash/myFlashSig.swf</a>
Read January 04, 2006, 07:23:06 PM #7
Ape

Yes I tought about that to. But I want the really skilled players to get much more points than a beginner would. So a good player powers up to the max and get maximum reward if they can survive. And the bullets doesn´t disappear only if you use your smart bomb (so there is a drawback to use bombs, you only get the enemies score if you do)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 17 queries.