SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 8
|-+ the2bears' entry: Heavy Iron (done)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read January 05, 2009, 03:27:16 PM #0
the2bears

the2bears' entry: Heavy Iron (done)

Maybe something interesting... maybe something boring Smiley

Update: I've got something resembling a playable game.

I was trying for a bit of an Armor Attack feeling here, though I don't think that worked out so well.  My favourite player ship, from The Iron Council, makes a return (in vectors). Per the theme, I wanted to use the ship's "yaw" to force shooting around the buildings.  The idea was to encourage movement and changing shot direction because of the urban setting.

Arrow keys to move left and right, up and down.  Your ship's regular shot uses the 'Z' key.  Your ship will "yaw" away from the direction you are moving to, up to 90 degrees in either direction.  Firing will lock your position, as will 'X'.

Do not hit the yellow "buildings", and avoid the tanks anti-aircraft fire.  That's about it!

Thanks this time to Squirrelsquid for some awesome tank designs Smiley

Bill
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:26:15 AM by the2bears »

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read January 13, 2009, 03:55:00 AM #1
the2bears

Re: the2bears' entry

Ouch... 3 days of flu and counting, lost a whole weekend of programming because I couldn't even look at a computer with the sinus headache Sad

However, I don't think it's all bad news.  I should still get something done, maybe just scaled back a bit.

Bill

Read January 16, 2009, 01:50:12 AM #2
hima

Oh no. I hope you're getting better soon. I kinda know how you feel since I used to have the sinus headache too :/
Read January 18, 2009, 05:07:51 AM #3
the2bears

Made quite a lot of progress tonight, hopefully enough that I can add basic enemy behaviours etc. and show enough of a game Smiley  Vector style graphics, with some great tank designs by Squirrelsquid.  Also, the helicopter from "The Iron Council" makes a return.

Bill

Read January 20, 2009, 01:27:06 AM #4
the2bears

Re: the2bears' entry: Heavy Iron (done)

First post modified and .zip file attached Smiley

Bill

Read January 20, 2009, 01:58:26 AM #5
Pixel_Outlaw

Very cool graphics and it seemed to work well. It might have been cool to use the mouse for aiming. Solid work here the2bears.  Wink

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read January 20, 2009, 06:44:25 PM #6
VectorVanDoom

i think its funny that i hit q twice while testing, but honestly its not the best idea to put 'quit' right next to 'move'... quite disturbing, anyway i'll probably write something more later on
Read January 20, 2009, 06:49:14 PM #7
Null1024

Hmmm... liked the graphics, but I didn't like how the rotation felt.
Read January 20, 2009, 06:58:19 PM #8
VectorVanDoom

the rotation is kinda unnatural for a heli and leaves it hard to play
...anyway i wanted to say that its a) hard to play that on german keys, because z is changed with y and as you can see thats pretty uncomfortable and b)hard to play anyway cause i got two hands at wasd and arrows, so none left for shoot, or am i doing sth wrong?? you would better have implemented it as autofire. the 'city' part is interesting because it actually forces you to turn, but without it would play like any hori...

btw guess what, im liking thoose vectors Wink
Read January 20, 2009, 07:24:44 PM #9
the2bears

b)hard to play anyway cause i got two hands at wasd and arrows, so none left for shoot, or am i doing sth wrong??

I think you're doing something wrong... why worry about WASD?  Arrows to move, 'Z' to shoot (point taken about the German keyboard).

Bill

Read January 20, 2009, 07:46:09 PM #10
the2bears

Hmmm... liked the graphics, but I didn't like how the rotation felt.

the rotation is kinda unnatural for a heli and leaves it hard to play

I liked this style of movement a lot in Under Defeat, Demolition Gunner, and my earlier helicopter game.  What I don't like about it here is I think the 90 degrees rotation really ruins it a bit.  It seems to make the yaw/reverse yaw really stand out.  Not sure if it's fixable, but without it I couldn't encourage moving around buildings to fire at extreme angles.

But, VVD, this is how a helicopter moves... they have a 2nd rotor to counter the spin generated by the primary rotor.  It's quite natural.  Wink

Bill

Read January 20, 2009, 07:59:30 PM #11
VectorVanDoom

But, VVD, this is how a helicopter moves
i dunno what VVD would mean but anyway a helicopter doesnt move back into position when u let go off the joystick imho (and i once flew a helicopter (tbh i was 4yo and almost dipped it over Wink))
Read January 22, 2009, 01:31:35 PM #12
Olick

Alright. Thoughts:

The game is fairly sluggish, but not difficult. I would have appreciated a faster rotating speed, or a way to rotate and shoot at once. The ability to not rotate and not shoot wasn't too helpful, since that can be accomplished by holding shoot, its not like I was penalized for firing.

The choice to make you aim the opposite direction of your firing was.. its a different choice per game. Helicopterwise I would have expected it to point the way you were moving, and gamewise I spent a lot of time moving left to aim right, then moving right around the building to shoot the tank.

One time three big tanks spawned in one place, it was pretty intimidating. However I actually died when I let a tank get behind me.

The buildings are good for cover, and due to the relative accuracy of the tanks, this is a great thing to have.

... I think thats all my thoughts. I always forget to play and vote for the games at the end of one of these sessions.
Read January 22, 2009, 04:48:15 PM #13
the2bears

The choice to make you aim the opposite direction of your firing was.. its a different choice per game. Helicopterwise I would have expected it to point the way you were moving, and gamewise I spent a lot of time moving left to aim right, then moving right around the building to shoot the tank.

I had a few reasons (right or wrong) for this.  One was it seemed natural to me to move away while firing at different targets.  Thus I wanted to be able to adjust the angle during that time.  The other was to make use of the buildings.  You're always moving around them, from bottom to top.  I wanted to "get to the top" while facing towards the middle.  Hard to explain Smiley

Bill

Read January 22, 2009, 10:04:05 PM #14
berilium

I had a few reasons (right or wrong) for this.  One was it seemed natural to me to move away while firing at different targets.  Thus I wanted to be able to adjust the angle during that time.  The other was to make use of the buildings.  You're always moving around them, from bottom to top.  I wanted to "get to the top" while facing towards the middle.  Hard to explain Smiley

Bill

I am a huge UnderDefeat fan as well. The way they've got it is leave the choice to the player at game start, where you can select either aim to the opposite direction of your firing or all the way around.

Perhaps you can include that option as well and see how it feels?

I really like the game. Although enemies and bullets in dark blue is really hard to see, other than that I think is good fun Smiley
Read January 22, 2009, 10:27:03 PM #15
the2bears

Perhaps you can include that option as well and see how it feels?

I really like the game. Although enemies and bullets in dark blue is really hard to see, other than that I think is good fun Smiley

Thanks, you're right about the visibility Smiley  I had originally intended to make the "yaw direction" optional... it's already in the code, just no UI or property method to change it.  Actually, a property would be easy to insert.

Bill

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 19 queries.