Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 8
|-+ Taylor's entry [Done]

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read January 13, 2009, 11:36:22 PM #0
Taylor

Taylor's entry [Done]

I've got a fairly decent idea, but it's rather ambitious for a C++ newbie who just spent 2 hours trying to make his 320x240 game render at 640x480. :)

Placeholder everything.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:53:39 PM by the2bears »
Read January 14, 2009, 04:05:47 AM #1
the2bears

Re: Taylor's entry

Taylor, welcome to Shmup-Dev and glad to see you jumping right in with a game Smiley

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read January 14, 2009, 03:14:37 PM #2
kdmiller3

"Here comes a new challenger!"

More entries are better, and it's always good to see someone take a stab at C++ programing.  Grin
Read January 17, 2009, 12:39:38 AM #3
Taylor

I think if a real programmer looked through all this they'd become lightheaded and have sit down for a bit. I'm determined to submit something, though. :)
Read January 17, 2009, 02:15:57 AM #4
kdmiller3

Hahaha Grin

I suppose this is appropriate then.
Read January 18, 2009, 11:42:21 PM #5
Taylor

I have something "prototype" ready, but I don't think I'll upload the actual game. I don't really trust my code and I've had trouble running it on my work machine (went around 1fps). Hopefully next time I can spend my first week cleaning this up so I have a nice base.

It wasn't very innovative anyway, bit too close to Death Smiles. I just wanted to see if I could whip something up fast in the theme.

Read January 19, 2009, 01:03:03 AM #6
the2bears

I'd encourage you to upload it anyway.  Sort of the point of these sessions is to get feedback and not worry about how polished or finished it is Smiley

Bill

Read January 19, 2009, 05:20:30 PM #7
Taylor

Okay, it's here. It should work on all machines now... for a given value of work, anyway.

Z shoots left, X shoots right. Moving while not shooting or tapping shot causes your options to face the opposite way you moved, holding shot locks them in place and slows movement.

Even without feedback I know it has issues:
  • No warnings, any game with enemies coming the way you're not facing should indicate a few frames in advance.
  • Level just loops forever into nothing after a few waves
  • Delay on turn around, but no relevant animation
  • Enemy fire is bland
  • Graphics missing for enemies and bullets - didn't get around to it.
  • 2.87mb of 24/32-bit TGA's. Why?
I'm probably beating myself up a bit though, I didn't actually get a lot of time to work on it and it's certainly better than My First Game in other languages :)
Read January 20, 2009, 02:03:45 AM #8
Pixel_Outlaw

Well, the shooting system appears to work well. True, that there could be a touch more content. As Bill said the main point of these secessions is to simply explore ideas for full feature shmups. (Which I would not mind seeing more of around here)

Aviator sunglasses are pretty much the shmups of the sunglasses world.
Read January 20, 2009, 01:53:01 PM #9
the2bears

Re: Taylor's entry [Done]

We should attach this to the first post so it's easy to find...

Bill

Read January 20, 2009, 06:51:06 PM #10
Null1024

Very nice, smooth, I didn't like the player graphic [even if it didn't stick out, it's not that good], I loved the background, and with the high speed of rotation, it worked well. If only there was more...
PS: BG graphic was awesome.
Read January 20, 2009, 07:12:24 PM #11
VectorVanDoom

uber hard at the moment, but you got the core game mechanic pinned down, good mechanics, got you to work the halfes of your brain Cheesy

sadly its too hard and short to play. if death smiles plays like that, holy shit... to much directions to coordinate for me.
Read January 20, 2009, 11:00:31 PM #12
Taylor

Deathsmiles doesn't play exactly the same; most characters have only one option, shots home in on focus, options are slower, etc. but it's definitely close enough for that to be valid criticism. Tapping up/down should dodge most of the fire, as it's all aimed, but you do need some psychic ability for enemy entrances at the moment.

But it's all cool, I'm glad I managed to do something.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 19 queries.