SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 9
|-+ Mr Explode's Entry - Allied (Done)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read February 03, 2009, 12:05:09 PM #0
mr explode!

Mr Explode's Entry - Allied (Done)

Allied

In this game you have to get to the end of the level and beat the boss. On the way you can shoot smaller bad guys to turn them to your side. They become a little bit stronger and will help you beat more enemies. You can get powerups to increase your fire power and with 5 or more your allies firepower increases.

Controls:
Arrow Keys - Move
Z - fire
Enter - select ('play' or 'quit' at the start and after you die or win)

Requirements:
Soya3d (http://thomas.paviot.free.fr/soya/)
 - You also need to get PyOgg and PyVorbis linked from this page
Python 2.4 (http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.4/)
OpenAL (http://connect.creativelabs.com/developer/default.aspx)

Notes:
The latest version adds sound and fixes the 'stuck key' problem.

(I worked out the Windows error, it was just a lack of libraries, so the game was effectively done yesterday, hopefully that doesn't put me out of contention. I also added a screenshot from the final version.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:02:15 AM by mr explode! »
Read February 04, 2009, 05:23:16 PM #1
mpersano

Re: Mr Explode's Entry

Looks cool. :-)
Read February 10, 2009, 02:45:04 AM #2
mr explode!

Some more work has been done. It's actually kind of fun though it suffers from a few bugs still. The way it works so far is you can build up a kind of squadron by defeating the smaller enemies and they help you defeat the bigger ones, which pour out bullets and kill most of your allies.

My main concern now is how people will be able to play the game, since it requires a Python based 3d engine (Soya3d) people would either have to install that and Python or I have to work out how to package everything up. Plus there dosen't seem to be a Mac version of the engine and only an 'old' version for windows. Hmmm. I should have thought about this before.

Anyway more pictures.
Read February 10, 2009, 11:49:50 AM #3
mr explode!

More work has been done and I think it's ready for the world to see.

Issues at the moment are:
 - There is no end, you just scroll off happily into the distance. I want to add a boss to finish it off.
 - There is a problem with it not registering when you have let go of a key so you can end up stuck on the side. I suspect this won't be an issue for faster computers but if you get this problem for the moment I suggest just pressing the 'stuck' key again quickly to unstick it.

After looking into it I don't think it's going to be possible, or at least not easy, to make it available for Mac users but I have tested it on Windows (and developed on Linux, so it works there too). Windows users need to download and install Python 2.4 and the Soya3d library. Once set up just click the 'game.py' file.

Enjoy, I'd love to hear any feedback so far.
Read February 13, 2009, 12:59:23 AM #4
mr explode!

Almost done I think!  Grin This little challenge has gone quite well, I feel happy with what I've managed to get done. The main thing I want to do now is some sound effects, I think it would make the game feel much more complete.

So this is an almost final version, I've added a boss at the end so you can win! Also there are pickups which give you extra fire power and your allies too when you have collected more than 5. You can also play it in fullscreen which is both wicked and sick. There is also a name: Allied, not very inspired I know, but it's something.

As before you need to get Python and Soya3d if you want to have a go, I looked into making a Windows .exe but no luck yet. I'll maybe have another crack if I have some time.

So feel free to have a go, I still think there's some room for improvement with the mechanics, I'm not sure if it might be too easy and I think I may be able to enter it into the Euroshmups compo in some areas at least (what bullet patterns?). So without further ado here is a lovely screenie and a zip for your enjoyment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 01:01:25 AM by mr explode! »
Read February 17, 2009, 10:01:07 AM #5
mpersano

Re: Mr Explode's Entry - Allied (Kind of done)

Looks cool. Smiley I only played for a couple of minutes (sorry, I'm at work right now) but noticed that controls get messed up frequently - either the controls get inverted (pressing left makes the ship move right) or stuck. Am I doing something wrong?
Read February 17, 2009, 11:03:28 AM #6
mr explode!

Re: Mr Explode's Entry - Allied (Done)

You can get the latest version (now in the first post), which fixes the control problem. Thanks for giving it a go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 18 queries.