SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 11
|-+ berilium's entry: (Mama Box) - Delivered

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read April 13, 2009, 10:17:10 PM #0
berilium

berilium's entry: (Mama Box) - Delivered

Well, let's see if I can finish an entry this time Cheesy

Even though the theme is "Constant/Chronic Evolution" I will use the boxy theme solely for my art style.

Ta

--EDIT--
I *think* I have an idea for this session and it goes like this:

Imagine Space Invaders where you can go forward and back as well. The level has strips that determine the level of power-up you can have. Hence the further you go (or closer you get to the enemy) the better power-ups you are granted. However, enemy will be tougher.

This doesn't sound like constant evolution since you can go back and loose fire power, but you still have the option to vote for some one else' entry Smiley

As for progress, I have a ship that shoots and a single boss that shoots at you with very simple bullet patterns; which I better change if I want to deliver the gameplay idea.

So I will concentrate on a boss fight only Smiley

--EDIT--

A screeny... hmmm

--EDIT--

Ok, I finished... not really. But I deliver what I've got. Please read readme.txt file. Well, if you don't feel like that, here I post it as well:

=====================
MamaBox Shooting Game
=====================

www.shmup-dev.com
RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS
Session 11

Your ship power-up or power-down depending of the background color where the ship stands.
The closer to the enemy the more points you get (unfinished feature)
You also get bonus points depending the time it takes you to defeat the enemy boss (unfinished feature)

Sorry, but it has only one life and you have to restart the game.
Sorry, no score implemented.
Sorry, but not sound implemented.
Sorry, this game is rubbish, I know.

Keys
----
Arrow keys: move ship
X: Fire

Extra Keys
----------
F: Fullscreen
M: 1x-2x viewport
R: Tate/Yoko mode
V: vsync off/on
F9: Screenshot

LINK HERE
MamaBox_Berilium_Session11.zip
Thanks for "playing" it in advance.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:44:57 AM by berilium »
Read April 13, 2009, 10:25:11 PM #1
the2bears

Re: berilium's entry: (pending title)

Cool, glad to see you entering!

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read April 20, 2009, 09:52:45 PM #2
berilium

Cool, glad to see you entering!
Thanks!!  Smiley

Wow! Can't believe we're in the second week already! While working on my prototype I found some silly limitations in my mini-engine. I fixed them then I realized I can improve some modules and went and spend some time on it! Typical problem when you work on top of a half finished piece of software. Please, someone tell me is a waste of time and keep on working on my prototype! Roll Eyes
Read April 26, 2009, 09:42:40 PM #3
berilium

OMG!

I'm experiencing serious problems making my game idea work. It doesn't feel right and still lots to do.  Sad
Read April 26, 2009, 09:46:23 PM #4
moosa

Eh, don't sweat it. You should see what I've got to post.  Wink
Read April 26, 2009, 10:28:37 PM #5
the2bears

I will not be indone1 by any of you  Grin

Bill

1.  indone - Adj.  To achieve less than expected.  Opposite of outdone.
    ex. His game had less to it than any of the others.  They were indone by his attempt.

Read April 26, 2009, 11:40:42 PM #6
berilium

Cheesy

It seems many of us are struggling with the time. I attached a screeny of my progress but it doesn't work as expected. It is too late night here now. Bed time! I've got a busy day tomorrow so I doubt can do any progress  Cry
Read April 27, 2009, 01:25:48 AM #7
moosa

Bill

1.  indone - Adj.  To achieve less than expected.  Opposite of outdone.
    ex. His game had less to it than any of the others.  They were indone by his attempt.

I'll gladly challenge that.  Cool
Read April 27, 2009, 09:29:09 PM #8
berilium

Oh no! My game is totally unplayable! What should I do? Submit it as it is now? How long do we've got before deadline?

--EDIT--
Oh no! My IDE just crashed and it refuses to run again? Panic!

--EDIT--
Ok, restarted PC. It works now... back to coding.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:47:30 PM by berilium »
Read April 28, 2009, 12:38:48 AM #9
berilium

Ok. Can't do more. Very unfinished. Please, read first post  Undecided

PS: How can I attach a file? I did once but couldn't find the option anymore...?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:45:59 AM by berilium »
Read April 28, 2009, 01:09:29 AM #10
moosa

Re: berilium's entry: (Mama Box) - Delivered

I think the concept works really well. Perhaps you could make the top colors fire backwards. Smiley

Edit:
I also really like the way the background and the boss moves relative to your movements. It's a small thing, I know, but it really feels "right" for this game.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:22:36 PM by moosa »
Read April 28, 2009, 04:25:23 PM #11
hima

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing with the background movement. How did you do that?

As for the game, I totally forgot that my weapon changed according to the distance since I always am a scardy cat who stays at the bottom of the screen lol. It was really neat though. I think it adds to risk-and-reward factor Smiley
Read April 28, 2009, 05:04:39 PM #12
the2bears

I really like this.  It's simple but effective.  A lot of fun, well done Smiley

Bill

Read April 29, 2009, 08:46:28 PM #13
berilium

Thanks a lot for your nice comments. Very much appreciated indeed Smiley

I think the concept works really well. Perhaps you could make the top colors fire backwards. Smiley
Yes, it was meant to be a third power up (yellow colour) but it didn't make it. That's why the boss doesn't go higher and leave some room for the player to move up there. The third power-up was actually sort of 'guided  missiles', but with a wide aperture so the player will try to get in the correct position to hit the boss, which should be attacking at its apex. And a the very top blue color again forcing the player stay within the yellow band to get hihger score.

So when upgrading power-up on the yellow zone it actually loads orange power up again. Didn't have the time to implement the third one. I guess inverting the direction of the shots, as you suggested, would have been enough.

Yeah I was gonna say the same thing with the background movement. How did you do that?

It's only a cross multiplication, where the *camera*'s position is located within world dimensions relatively to the player position within screen position (i.e. form screen coordinates to world coordinates). The boss is attached to a kind of spring to keep it at the same hight in screen coordinates, but when it reaches a mark position in world coordinates, the spring stops working, so its position is fixed.

By the way, did anyone see the happy faces?? Lots of work to make them haha  Cheesy

Thanks again to everyone. I will start playing the other games Smiley
Read May 02, 2009, 04:41:38 AM #14
rekcah

I really like this power up idea! It was hella fun to play. I beat the boss too btw!

Check Out my games, music and art at http://rekcahdam.blogspot.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 19 queries.