Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 11
|-+ Ablach Blackrat's Entry

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read April 14, 2009, 12:23:44 AM #0
Ablach Blackrat

Ablach Blackrat's Entry

I was wondering if I was going to get in at all after my computer's hard drive decided to commit suicide on the weekend, but a couple hundred bucks later and two days worth of re-install and I'm almost back to normal.

Anyhoo...Here's an early screen of my entry...

The player's ship (down at the bottom) will be able to go around the outside of the playing area on any of the four walls.  There will be only one enemy.  Each time you get it's hit count down to zero it will mutate and become stronger.  No idea how I'm going to do that but it should be fun finding out.

I was going to keep the graphics simple but I've found that the silhouette style to them will actually help in making the mutation of the enemy ship blend all nicely together.  Currently it's about five separate pieces that circle around together.

You know, eventually I'm going to have to take some time off to finish these games after the session is done...
Read April 14, 2009, 01:31:02 AM #1
kdmiller3

Re: Ablach Blackrat's Entry

Wow, that was quick Grin
Read April 14, 2009, 03:46:10 AM #2
moosa

Sounds interesting.
One thing that stuck out to me in my first impression: it sounds like you may be at a disadvantage when moving through the corners. Obviously a rectangle is a rather inefficient path of travel when you want to circle an object, and I would think that the closer you get to the corners, the closer to useless your firing angle would become. Of course on the other hand, a circular playing area would simply render your aim fixed toward the center, which would be a different experience entirely. (To be honest, I kind of like that idea myself.)

Sorry for jumping right in your face on this one, but perhaps these may be things to watch out for.  Smiley
Read April 16, 2009, 10:57:24 PM #3
Ablach Blackrat

Sounds interesting.
One thing that stuck out to me in my first impression: it sounds like you may be at a disadvantage when moving through the corners.

You may be right.  I hate circular SHMUP's since your aim is all but removed (Tempest is the exception: I love that game) so how about I compromise (you can still move all around the room)...

Damn...lost most of this week to overwork and I'm going to lose most of next week to visiting relatives (they take precedence of course).  I have mainly just the next three days to finish this.
Read April 17, 2009, 12:21:35 PM #4
moosa

I had thought of that as well, but I figured I had probably said too much already. Wink Do you think it would make more sense to make the arena into a regular polygon, such that having the ship right in the middle of any one side would have it pointing straight to the  center point?
Its looking cool anyways. Sorry to hear about your time constraints, but I look forward to seeing how this entry feels. Smiley
Read April 18, 2009, 10:52:51 AM #5
jakman4242

You could always have the 'ring' or whatever you're moving along change as the game progresses. But in the time frame you mentioned I don't that that's a very practical thing to try.

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
Or read my new blog!~ (which I do update)
My blog.
Read April 23, 2009, 04:21:36 PM #6
Ablach Blackrat

First time I've turned my computer on since the weekend.  Nuts.  I doubt I'll have anything finished by the deadline which kind of sucks since it was partly my suggestion that was used for theme.  I'm also not going to be able to participate for at least 6 weeks due to visitors.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.