Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.  • Help
SMF Underground
+ SHMUP-DEV » RAPID PROTOTYPE SESSIONS » Older Sessions » Session 11
|-+ jakman4242's entry: Switchfoot.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read April 14, 2009, 10:46:53 AM #0
jakman4242

jakman4242's entry: Switchfoot.

As much as I'd like to just spectate this round, I need to work my dev gears a bit. Hopefully you'll see something from me this Session.  Grin

[EDIT]

Alright, so. My entry's name is Switchfoot.

After a lot of thinking, this is what I came up with, since everyone else has the enemy evolving.
I decidedly am using my favorite combination in a shmup, sort of my niche: Vertical scrolling shooter, with options.

In this game, you start out with one option. It is either vertically or horizontally aligned. Each compass direction the option can face provides different functionality. You can switch your option 180 degrees around your ship any time. This switching idea was inspired by Ikaruga's Polarity system.

Now, by using your option it becomes more potent. Whilst one becomes more powerful, it's counterpart weakens. Even though you could probably succeed in the game with using just one function of an option, you'll need to strategically use both to truly 'conquer' the game. Eventually, you will get another option which will be vertical if you chose horizontal, and vice versa.

I'm thinking of putting solid obstacles into the scrolling background, a first for me. Could prove interesting. Grin

Oh yes, and the name for the game was inspired by the band Switchfoot.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 11:25:10 AM by jakman4242 »

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
Or read my new blog!~ (which I do update)
My blog.
Read April 15, 2009, 01:01:34 PM #1
moosa

Re: jakman4242's entry: Switchfoot.

It sounds cool, but I don't 100% understand by your explanation. Say you have an option at 180 deg (with 0deg to the right), then would the option at 0 deg be its counterpart? And how would "switching" them 180deg change their functionality aside from their position? Just wondering really.

I like the sound of it though. Sounds a tad like mine actually, but not too much. Smiley

Read April 15, 2009, 09:03:45 PM #2
jakman4242

It sounds cool, but I don't 100% understand by your explanation. Say you have an option at 180 deg (with 0deg to the right), then would the option at 0 deg be its counterpart? And how would "switching" them 180deg change their functionality aside from their position? Just wondering really.

I like the sound of it though. Sounds a tad like mine actually, but not too much. Smiley

Well, the option's position to your ship decides it's functionality. I don't know how that would realistically work out, but that's why this is a shmup.  Grin

My game design blog -- A bit outdated, but you might like to take a read anyway~
My blog.
Read April 15, 2009, 09:42:34 PM #3
moosa

Ok, I understand that reality has nothing to do with it Tongue but how do you "switch" between one option and its counterpart if "switching" rotates and changes the option? Does rotating change it into its counterpart? How do the four cardinal directions work into it if the option only has two forms?
Read April 16, 2009, 08:21:16 AM #4
jakman4242

Ok, I understand that reality has nothing to do with it Tongue but how do you "switch" between one option and its counterpart if "switching" rotates and changes the option? Does rotating change it into its counterpart? How do the four cardinal directions work into it if the option only has two forms?

When you switch the option, IE rotate it, it mirrors to the other compass/cardinal direction and then has a different functionality. This is the counterpart. Switch again, and you return to the original state, etc.

The option has 4 forms, but only 2 are accessible at a time, I'm considering making all 4 available at a later point in the game.

My blog.
Read April 21, 2009, 02:26:52 AM #5
jakman4242

I'm going to drop out on this one, I just realized how I completely missed the idea of my own concept.(Well, Ablach's as well.)

I'll just spectate this one, I'm looking forward to see what people crank out.  Grin

My blog.
Read April 21, 2009, 03:54:03 AM #6
kdmiller3

It's not too late to change it around.  There's a whole week to go.
Read April 22, 2009, 12:49:55 AM #7
jakman4242

It's not too late to change it around.  There's a whole week to go.

Another reason I didn't mention was that I'm doing testing this and next week.

Actually, I didn't know I was testing until today.  Lips Sealed
I should have worked last week, which was my 'Spring Break'.(moreof, Easter.) But, I didn't.  Undecided
So, that's my thing. I really just prefer to watch this Session as it draws to completion. Working when I'm not inspired too, on top of being tired... Doesn't turn out too well, haha!

Although, thank you for the pick-me-up, nonetheless.  Tongue

My blog.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.616 seconds with 19 queries.