|-+ Hima's Entry - DONE

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Read April 25, 2009, 06:54:12 PM #0
hima

Hima's Entry - DONE

Basically the game keep track of the following parameter
  - red item
  - blue item

Red Item : Gained from killing enemies and collect red item.
Blue Item : Gained from grazing enemies bullets.

These items will increase the corresponding color gauge. Once the gauge is flashing that mean you're ready to evolve, which will change your weapon depending on which gauge is ready.

Getting killed before you're ready to evolve will devolve you or downgrade you to a weaker form.

If you're ready to evolve but got killed before you get to evolve manually, you will survive and evolve. This is called 'Forced Evolution' and your new form will not be as powerful as manually evolution.

Everytime an evolution occur, it will act as a bomb that erase all on-screen bullets and give you a few seconds of invincibility.

Download here : http://hima.gptouch.com/stuff/Evolve.rar

How to play
 Z - Shoot
 X - Evolve ( once either blue or red bar is completely filled.)
 C - Slow down.
 R - Restart game.

- Killing enemies increases red bar.
- Grazing enemy bullets increases blue bar.
- Evolve with red bar will upgrade your gun.
- Evolve with blue bar will upgrade your option.
- I took Force Evolve off. Being hit while either of the bar is full will save your life but lose your chance of upgrading Cheesy
- You'll die when you got hit while everything is at its base level ( gun and options). I haven't implemented the real dying here, so it's just an invincible player. Please kindly press R to restart the game! ( Unless you feel like playing an invisible ship.)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 03:34:40 PM by hima »
Read April 25, 2009, 07:22:23 PM #1
moosa

Re: Hima's Entry

That sounds quite creative. Smiley I look forward to seeing how this turns out.
Read April 25, 2009, 08:06:39 PM #2
kdmiller3

Re: Hima's Entry

Same here.  That's a neat concept--very clean.
Read April 28, 2009, 04:30:33 PM #3
hima

Re: Hima's Entry - DONE

I've uploaded mine. This is my first time making a game in C++ so please pray for me that it'll work Cry
Read April 28, 2009, 08:48:07 PM #4
moosa

Ouch.

It works. The R key crashes the game, but its easy enough to just stab Esc and restart it.

I wasn't expecting those graphics at the beginning, but I am, uh, having a bit of trouble with the bullet patterns. Tongue
Read May 01, 2009, 06:59:24 AM #5
hima

So sorry about the game difficulty X(    Should I or can I upload the easier version? Is it too late? Cry
Read May 01, 2009, 01:59:17 PM #6
Hacked

i wouldnt mind an easier version :p

i really liked this game, but i could never survive long enough to try out the upgrade system
the ship was big and the playing area was small
some of the bullets seemed to go very fast
and it didnt really feel right dieing after one hit

great game though good job!
Read May 01, 2009, 02:52:11 PM #7
the2bears

So sorry about the game difficulty X(    Should I or can I upload the easier version? Is it too late? Cry

Just switch the files, no one will know Wink

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read May 01, 2009, 03:34:51 PM #8
hima

Ok. Easier version uploaded Smiley
Read May 01, 2009, 04:16:09 PM #9
the2bears

Ok. Easier version uploaded Smiley

I'm getting an error in dat.dxa when I try to extract the archive.  "Data error in ... file is broken".

Bill

the2bears - the indie shmup blog
Read May 02, 2009, 12:01:59 AM #10
moosa

Same here.
!   C:\Documents and Settings\Philip Guildford\Desktop\Evolve (1).rar: CRC failed in Evolve\dat.dxa. The file is corrupt
Read May 02, 2009, 03:21:23 AM #11
hima

Ok, I reuploaded the file, which I managed to make it smaller. I also try downloading it and extracting it so there should be no problem now Cheesy Sorry for any inconvenience!
Read May 02, 2009, 08:58:36 AM #12
moosa

Whoo hoo, now it's VERY easy. Cheesy
The main gun seems way too wimpy at the beginning. I like those big lasers at the end. Tongue
And then... What is this, god mode? I kinda like this evolution...!  Grin
It seems quite a bit tougher to get the options upgraded. Also, it took me a while to realize that they were doing anything because their shots overlap the main gun until you get the final shot upgrade.

Anyways, it's a fairly basic but nonetheless cool and enjoyable concept. I'd like to see some more interesting evolutions from here, especially if the two different types influence one another. One very straightforward way you could achieve that is by having the shot evolutions upgrade the option's shots. Thanks for finishing/posting your entry. Smiley
Read May 02, 2009, 09:21:36 AM #13
hima

He he you're welcome Smiley  Usually I'd implement an option to choose the difficulty level, but I really ran out of time this time Cry

Actually at first I want to implement some passive upgrades and evolution level. Like, at level 3 , red evolution will grant you a laser shot but blue evolution will increase your main shot power 25%. If you fill only one of gauge, then the other will be skipped to the next evolution. Like, if you choose blue evolution then you won't get the laser, unless you evolve when both gauges are full. Hopefully this will allow the player to form his/her own upgrade strategy!
Read May 02, 2009, 09:35:47 AM #14
berilium

Ah! I didn't noticed the new upload. Well, the this comment is related to the first one though:

I like this concept. The difficulty was a bit high but no much of a problem for me hehe. Where I did strugle was the fact that in almost all cases I didn't realize one of my gauges was filled when I was hit hence gauge auto-depletead.

I was thinking that could be good have (or move) the gauges around the player's ring? So each one grows around half ring. This is because my sight was very concentrated around the ship to dodge the bullets and have little time to check my gauges haha

Well, this is more like a personal setup I think Cheesy

I will give the new upload a try thoug.
Read May 02, 2009, 11:14:34 AM #15
hima

That's actually a very good suggestion! You're right about the sight being concentrated on the ship. A quick glance to the interface could mean your death in a bullet hell game lol.

As for the new upload, the only difference is the difficulty though.
Read May 02, 2009, 03:42:42 PM #16
moosa

Just to chip in on that regard, sound effects can also go a long ways in giving the player the information they need when they need it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to:  

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 18 queries.